Speaker on Stick build with large budget

After working a fairly large gig last weekend (rig consisted of Nexo GeoS8, CD12 & PS10 & PS15 powered with the NX4x4 amps), I got the ideal of building a smaller yet powerful Speaker on a Stick rig. Yes I know of the saying that you can only pick two: small/light weight, louder/Sound Quality, OR cheaper/cost effective. But I am not too worried about cost.

I am working mainly corporate parties and weddings. The average crowd size that I supply the sound for is 200-400 people, with the speakers focused on the dance floor. Any crowd over 600, the Client is going to hire in Production (mainly racks & stack) but if not, the Agency/Band gives me a larger budget to work with on these shows so that I can rent gear as needed.

The Ballrooms we are in are decent size space with 3500-7500 Sq Ft, with the rooms ranging from the 65’x40’ up to 110’x60’.

The band is a 6 to 10 pieces playing everything from Jazz to Current Top 40.

The Other Agency band is running the Nexo PS15 & LS1200 and Analog controller with Camco & Gruppen power amps.

So what would your ideal/killer Speaker On Stick rig be to cover these situations?

Re: Speaker on Stick build with large budget

After working a fairly large gig last weekend (rig consisted of Nexo GeoS8, CD12 & PS10 & PS15 powered with the NX4x4 amps), I got the ideal of building a smaller yet powerful Speaker on a Stick rig. Yes I know of the saying that you can only pick two: small/light weight, louder/Sound Quality, OR cheaper/cost effective. But I am not too worried about cost.

I am working mainly corporate parties and weddings. The average crowd size that I supply the sound for is 200-400 people, with the speakers focused on the dance floor. Any crowd over 600, the Client is going to hire in Production (mainly racks & stack) but if not, the Agency/Band gives me a larger budget to work with on these shows so that I can rent gear as needed.

The Ballrooms we are in are decent size space with 3500-7500 Sq Ft, with the rooms ranging from the 65’x40’ up to 110’x60’.

The band is a 6 to 10 pieces playing everything from Jazz to Current Top 40.

The Other Agency band is running the Nexo PS15 & LS1200 and Analog controller with Camco & Gruppen power amps.

So what would your ideal/killer Speaker On Stick rig be to cover these situations?
Nexo PS15R2 is pretty killer, or JBL VP series

I'm keeping it open to either Active/Powered or Passive/Non Powered. But, if its a Passive/Non Powered system, I'll be running the manufactures amps with presets.

Hmm, I forgot to add... Subs would be needed as well.

Last edited:

Nexo S10/S30 over an RS18 per side. You would be able to cover the 600 person crowds easily with that as well.

Maybe not SOS sized, but not far off and it sounds fantastic.
I'd rather have PS15 than S12 on sticks. One S12-10, S12-30, the frame, and flyware are like 200lbs - not exactly light.

Vue Audioteknik A-15 or the powered version. Uncle Kenny and Jim Sides have a winner here.

I haven't heard the Cues yet but danley sm80s and fulcrum fa should be on the short list.

I am not sure I would go VP unless it was an install and I was looking for the digital input/control modules.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

I run a Q7 over a B2 per side. You could do a Q7 or 10 over a Q-sub as well - the two subs are very different and hit different frequency ranges.

Not cheap but i've never had anyone complain about sound quality - exactly the opposite - compliments. My main competitors would be putting up dinosaur rigs or mackie/rcf powered boxes..

Andrew

I haven't heard the Cues yet but danley sm80s and fulcrum fa should be on the short list.

I am not sure I would go VP unless it was an install and I was looking for the digital input/control modules.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

The loudest thing I've ever heard that could be pole mounted was the Fulcrum DX1295. They have a portable version now - FA22ac - with Powersoft power. Expensive, but worth every penny. Insanely loud, and sounds amazing.

I'm keeping it open to either Active/Powered or Passive/Non Powered. But, if its a Passive/Non Powered system, I'll be running the manufactures amps with presets.

Hmm, I forgot to add... Subs would be needed as well.

Danley SM100, SM80, SM60, over a TH-118, TH-115, TH-112, or TH-Mini...whatever combo fills the coverages needed best. Also, look at the new SBH-10, I could see it being very stealthy in corporate settings.

Best regards,

John

Matt - I'm with you on this question.

I run a Q7 over a B2 per side. You could do a Q7 or 10 over a Q-sub as well - the two subs are very different and hit different frequency ranges ..... Andrew

Andrew and I have recently talked about this subject and I'll listen to his Q7's shortly. I've been curious about this for a while. I have a small PS10 setup, would like to add larger, but equal/better quality SOS system, and for now, pretending the budget is unlimited.

For such expenditure one obviously has to listen first and that's tricky to arrange. Options seem like following:
PS15 - edgy top end, need to hear the R2 version with latest 'firmware'.
RCF TT series - heard these; good, but lower price point and performance
Dynacord Cobra 2 - have heard these working hard and sounding v good;
D&B Q7 - dual 10" - will demo Andrew's shortly
Danley SMxx - contenders
Vue H12/15 - has to be contender from comments around
Fulcrum FA22 - dual 12"; has to be contender
Meyer - CQ series; heavy
L'Acoustic 112 - would like to hear these
JBL VP72xx & VP73xx - would like to hear these
JTR Noesis 3TX - dual 10", would like to hear these

Apart from the required combination of high quality sound at high SPLs, there are some interesting differentiators that will be important to some:
- some are suprisingly lightweight
- different approaches to pattern control
- the use of dual woofers and/or coax drivers
- nearly all are DSP'd, as expected
- some are self-powered
- most come with manufacturer's matching sub(s).

If someone would like to organise a demo of all these in a central location (which, unfortunately, is not Australia) it will be definitely time for me to take the family on that holiday -:).

Comments that have been made already are helpful .. keen to see any more comments folks have regarding what differentiates the list above, or what else should be in it.

Meyer - CQ series; heavy

No pole cup on the CQ, but the newer and similar UPQ does have a pole cup. Still heavy. :(

I recently did a show where I had Danley SM96's on poles on top of KV2 EX2.2 subs. Needed coverage more than power, it being a jazz gig, but it did sound very nice and was probably capable of going quite a bit louder.

The weird shape of the SM96 actually makes it very easy for two people to put it up on a pole, since they aren't elbowing each other in the face during the process.

No pole cup on the CQ, but the newer and similar UPQ does have a pole cup. Still heavy. :(

I recently did a show where I had Danley SM96's on poles on top of KV2 EX2.2 subs. Needed coverage more than power, it being a jazz gig, but it did sound very nice and was probably capable of going quite a bit louder.

The weird shape of the SM96 actually makes it very easy for two people to put it up on a pole, since they aren't elbowing each other in the face during the process.

I was able to get them up on stands myself without any serious issues, and they will go pretty darned loud.

Best regards,

John

Since money is not the issue then maybe you should look into the tall skinny speaker offerings. I finally got a second pair so my stick is TALL now! http://soundforums.net/product-reviews/5365-tall-skinny-speakers.html

They sound better and perform better than any conventional speakers I've heard. There are several brands to choose from. The Ramsdell's that I'm using are still not on the website. They use eight 5.25" speakers + 1" horn with "progressively shaded*" passive crossover. Small - easy to use - no fancy proprietary gear needed - visually appealing and they don't scare people by looking loud although they are capable of doing the bigger rooms you mentioned.

*not really sure how to properly describe the crossover - these are my words not theirs