Speaker on Stick build with large budget

Re: Speaker on Stick build with large budget

..... a BMS 4594 coaxial 1.4" mid/high driver, on a large horn, crossed over at 400hz, ......

Jack - that configuration makes sense to me - how does it sound?? Needless to say, you and Jeff Permanian have been talking to each other over the last couple years uh?

Regards,
Neale

After working a fairly large gig last weekend (rig consisted of Nexo GeoS8, CD12 & PS10 & PS15 powered with the NX4x4 amps), I got the ideal of building a smaller yet powerful Speaker on a Stick rig. Yes I know of the saying that you can only pick two: small/light weight, louder/Sound Quality, OR cheaper/cost effective. But I am not too worried about cost.

I am working mainly corporate parties and weddings. The average crowd size that I supply the sound for is 200-400 people, with the speakers focused on the dance floor. Any crowd over 600, the Client is going to hire in Production (mainly racks & stack) but if not, the Agency/Band gives me a larger budget to work with on these shows so that I can rent gear as needed.

The Ballrooms we are in are decent size space with 3500-7500 Sq Ft, with the rooms ranging from the 65’x40’ up to 110’x60’.

The band is a 6 to 10 pieces playing everything from Jazz to Current Top 40.

The Other Agency band is running the Nexo PS15 & LS1200 and Analog controller with Camco & Gruppen power amps.

So what would your ideal/killer Speaker On Stick rig be to cover these situations?

KF394NT - eaw

SB2001 - eaw

The picture is what we do occasionally - 2 x DVA T12s on a specially made stand and a 3600/7200 w double 18 driven by a powersoft K10. We also use 3 x T8s or 1 x T8 with a T12 on top. (Yes I know its not a proper line array length ... but it works!)

Attachments

• 2m x DVA T12.jpg
    2m x DVA T12.jpg
    291.6 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Could someone PM me the MSRP (and sell price if you're a dealer) of the FA22ac. This looks like a promising box for an upcoming series of shows. A google search doesn't bring up much.

Business guy answer as opposed to a sound guy answer. Sound quality & cost take a back seat to scalability and efficiency . I don't buy anything that I may need more of if I can't get more of them in less than an hours drive. Unless you almost NEVER cross rent speakers for larger work ( and anyone who doesn't is doing this as a hobby rather than a business ) I would suggest finding out what at least two other vendors nearby have lots of and buy some of those.

Jack - that configuration makes sense to me - how does it sound?? Needless to say, you and Jeff Permanian have been talking to each other over the last couple years uh?

Regards,
Neale

I believe the EAW KF394NT I suggested uses the BMS 4594 coaxial 1.4" mid/high driver and 2 x 10s, its a bit like a Q7 on steroids - Gunness focued it sounds great and goes loud.

Last edited:

Unless you almost NEVER cross rent speakers for larger work ( and anyone who doesn't is doing this as a hobby rather than a business ) I would suggest finding out what at least two other vendors nearby have lots of and buy some of those.

Lol!!! Around my area no one cross rents to other local vendors. No ones gear matches. I agree a different arrangement would benefit everyone of the 20+ "providers" in our tiny market. The only thing I have ever cross rented was cable ramps.

Q7 over Qsub is definitely by far the best sos setup I've ever heard. I don't think there are any systems that can beat it.

I think it's great that three long term, credible contributors to this forum have been prepared to stick their necks out and effectively provide an "answer" to the OP question ... . so, Matt, go spend some money! Pick any one that fits your requirements re weight, powering, coverage and cross-renting ... ignoring cost of course :).

The loudest thing I've ever heard that could be pole mounted was the Fulcrum DX1295. They have a portable version now - FA22ac - with Powersoft power. Expensive, but worth every penny. Insanely loud, and sounds amazing.

I believe the EAW KF394NT I suggested uses the BMS 4594 coaxial 1.4" mid/high driver and 2 x 10s, its a bit like a Q7 on steroids - Gunness focued it sound great and goes loud.

Q7 over Qsub is definitely by far the best sos setup I've ever heard. I don't think there are any systems that can beat it.

M1 over Q-sub ;)~;-)~:wink:

Or this.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cvt0selt2utwoib/2012-12-03 12.30.56.jpg

I miss those, they are sweet. But I could not justify owning them any more since 95% of my work is on other peoples gear.

I´m fortunate enough to have access to a couple of JBL VP7212 rigs and a EAW KF394 rig. Nice setups. For some reason there are not that many setups of them around in Norway, I´ve done several good jobs on them.

Last edited:

M1 ? Do you mean d+b M2 ?

Andrew

Sorry, yes I was indeed thinking of the M2. Unfortunately it hasn't got a stick receptacle, but I think there is a rail that can be used. We're probably talking J-Sub to get a system with some resemblance of balance if it is to be one over one per side.

Still, Q7 over Q-sub is on top of my wish list.

Or this.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cvt0selt2utwoib/2012-12-03 12.30.56.jpg

I miss those, they are sweet. But I could not justify owning them any more since 95% of my work is on other peoples gear.

Yeah, suspected as much :D~:-D~:grin:

I´m fortunate enough to have access to a couple of JBL VP7212 rigs and a EAW KF394 rig. Nice setups. For some reason there are not that many setups of them around in Norway, I´ve done several good jobs on them.

You don't see the VPs for sale often either, which tends to be a good indicator, and they are no.2 on my wishlist. Haven't heard them that often though, but they haven't got that pin-point stereo field accuracy that the Q7 have (in that respect I would compare them to audiophile speakers in the same price range)

Sorry, yes I was indeed thinking of the M2. Unfortunately it hasn't got a stick receptacle, but I think there is a rail that can be used. We're probably talking J-Sub to get a system with some resemblance of balance if it is to be one over one per side.

Still, Q7 over Q-sub is on top of my wish list.

What about the M4 over Q-sub? With the Q7, you need to run the additional U-bracket with Pole-Cup adapter.

What about the M4 over Q-sub? With the Q7, you need to run the additional U-bracket with Pole-Cup adapter.

M4 over Q-sub seems to be quite popular and practical in many ways since it opens up more multi usage scenarios. I haven't heard it in a setting where I could judge the accuracy, but from what little I have been able to listen (once in a questionable acoustic setting), it surely is a competent setup.