Speaker on Stick build with large budget

Re: Speaker on Stick build with large budget

Too bad nothing of our products has hit the states yet. Otherwise i would challenge all of the mentioned boxes against this one.

BoldAudio - Products - BA15

This is a bit bigger but still pole mountable.

BoldAudio - Products - BA212T

Hi Marjan,

If you want to put your money where your mouth is, send some cabinets over for a SFN Test Drive. I can coordinate it from this end and we can get some people to put the cabinets through their paces.

Thank you,

Jeff

Hi Marjan,

If you want to put your money where your mouth is, send some cabinets over for a SFN Test Drive. I can coordinate it from this end and we can get some people to put the cabinets through their paces.

Thank you,

Jeff

i for one would love to see this!!!

..... send some cabinets over for a SFN Test Drive. I can coordinate it from this end and we can get some people to put the cabinets through their paces. Jeff

Jeff,

The sounds vaguely like a "high end SOS shootout" ... please do it! (BTW, add the EAW KF394NT to my earlier list).

Neale

I run a Q7 over a B2 per side. You could do a Q7 or 10 over a Q-sub as well - the two subs are very different and hit different frequency ranges.

Not cheap but i've never had anyone complain about sound quality - exactly the opposite - compliments. My main competitors would be putting up dinosaur rigs or mackie/rcf powered boxes..

Andrew

Andrew, are you say 1 Q7 over 1 B2 is you SOS rig?

I've only worked on a couple d&b rigs and have had good results. 4 hangs of 4 T10 with 2 Q-subs AND 4x C4-top, 4x C4-sub & 4x B2.

Hi Marjan,

Thank you,

Jeff

Jeff, i would really love to do that, but it is not up to me. I am just the head of engineering. Not the sales or marketing guy at the company. In some not that distant future i can see this happening, just not now.

I'm a small guy and that's my only rig ! I spent a few years looking into what to get next and I was looking for "speaker on stick" because it looks better at a lot of the corporate shows I do (ie, ones where there isn't budget to hang a PA system). I wanted to avoid the whole speaker stack look on each side of the stage. A B2 lying down is only ~ 1/2 a metre high; and the Q7's on stick above people's heads is a very small visual footprint.

If I need more spread I hire in another pair of Q7's; more grunt and I put up another pair of Q7's and do the dual PA thing that Dave Rat does but on a much smaller scale.

For larger shows I hire in more B2's, array of Q1 and amp racks.

I also work on larger shows with a local d+b house so I've worked with J's, Q's, T's and V's a lot.

The rest of my rig is max wedges and a pro2c out front. Usual array of quality mics, Di's, Canare & Neutrik etc.

Damn nice little rig if I do say so myself.

Andrew

I'm a small guy and that's my only rig ! I spent a few years looking into what to get next and I was looking for "speaker on stick" because it looks better at a lot of the corporate shows I do (ie, ones where there isn't budget to hang a PA system). I wanted to avoid the whole speaker stack look on each side of the stage. A B2 lying down is only ~ 1/2 a metre high; and the Q7's on stick above people's heads is a very small visual footprint.

If I need more spread I hire in another pair of Q7's; more grunt and I put up another pair of Q7's and do the dual PA thing that Dave Rat does but on a much smaller scale.

For larger shows I hire in more B2's, array of Q1 and amp racks.

I also work on larger shows with a local d+b house so I've worked with J's, Q's, T's and V's a lot.

The rest of my rig is max wedges and a pro2c out front. Usual array of quality mics, Di's, Canare & Neutrik etc.

Damn nice little rig if I do say so myself.

Andrew

Curious as to the overall price of this SOS setup?

Well I don't know US prices very well. but to give you an idea, a pro2c install is about 25K or so. So with that as your reference point, i'm at about $150K or so for gear.

Now.. this thread does say Speaker on Stick and.. large budget... so it does fit !

I started with a pair of Yorkville Elite 401's with no subs, no-name wedges and yamaha 16ch studio console (MR1604 or something like that) - and have been upgrading the weakest link as the years went on. I think i'm almost done though. q-sub coming for drum fill; trade maxes in for M4's; new 4ch amps instead of D12's but in time.

Andrew

I put the "large" budget in there because I wanted to see other recommendations and not your typical JBL PRX, QSC KW level gear.
You did not say what size "stick" could be used. We have some installs that have our Jericho J1 on "sticks".

Now granted it is not you average "stick"--------------------

The loudest thing I've ever heard that could be pole mounted was the Fulcrum DX1295. They have a portable version now - FA22ac - with Powersoft power. Expensive, but worth every penny. Insanely loud, and sounds amazing.

+1 I have used the 1295s twice and after that got a chance to install some of their little brothers the dx 896 at a venue I work at weekly. I have been very impressed.

Last edited:

You did not say what size "stick" could be used. We have some installs that have our Jericho J1 on "sticks".

Now granted it is not you average "stick"--------------------

I'm leaning towards the typical speaker stand say from K&M... Even though they are based out of MD, I don't think the MSI Poles would fit indoors.

So what would your ideal/killer Speaker On Stick rig be to cover these situations?

Disclaimer: I sell BMS products.

Proclaimer: I use a BMS 4594 coaxial 1.4" mid/high driver, on a large horn, crossed over at 400hz, not on a stick, but supported by aluminum poles, 9' tall.
The subs/or lows in my case are double 15" on the ground. I sometimes use a double 18", but would need a smaller box than I currently have to be in the spirit of the trailer I use, and size of gigs I do. The driver has a passive crossover, so I biamp. I use two channels of amp for the lows, and one channel of a four channel amp, for the mid/highs. Leaving three channels for monitors.

Attachments

• brownbag4.jpg
    brownbag4.jpg
    320.7 KB · Views: 5

Ignoring everything else which goes into a PA system, in oz the Q7's and B2's with D12's will run to about $50K. So using my pro2c install example FOH is about 2 proc2 installs.

If second hand is an option that could be a good path. d+b have a 5 year no fault guarantee on their products - not sure how many go back during that time but know that the amps are digitally controlled and you state what speaker the amp channel is powering - so it knows exactly what voltages it can deliver to that speaker. Ie, second hand boxes likely to be in pretty good condition in regards to how they have been powered over their life.

Andrew

I was going to recommend Q-series tops (Q7 has a little more definition than the Q10, but obviously less horizontal coverage) and Q-Subs. The B2 takes more work for me to get what I want out of it as a standalone sub, I usually only use it in conjunction with others. They are both excellent though.

The T-Series line array boxes have an adapter so you can put a few of them on a stick as well. They're small but great boxes, and the rigging is really simple.

One cosmetic thing I will recommend if you go the D&B Q route, I'm not sure if you can get the Q7/10s with metal grills, so if you acquire the foam ones make sure you have extra allowance in the road case for the grill so you don't mash it up every time you pack it away. That or take it off before you case it up if you're willing to have it loose.