X16 Preview

Re: X16 Preview (x48)

The (i)X16 isn't a product for the rental market and everyone seems to recognize that, so why are some obviously acknowledging this basic premise while at the same time discussing problematic details involved in renting it out.
How many compact, 16 channel mixers ended up in houses of worship, bars, auditoria, community theatres, lecture halls, etc. or in rental inventory and why wouldn't a DL1608 or X16 potentially be used in those same applications? I can see being able to locate the mixer up at the headtable or stage and plug an output into the house system on a wall plate nearby, then have a tech be able to sit anywhere in the room for basic mixing without messing with a long snake being popular with hotels and convention centers and thus a number of X16 or DL1608 type units being part of their rental inventory.

I just worked a 500 capacity ballroom with the DL 1608. I ran FOH and my partner ran six stage mixes. For low input, non rider gigs this unit is proving more than adequate. Being able to run more than one tablet is a great feature. The amount of setup time and equipment the DL has cut out is substantial. I am considering the X16. It looks like it could be better than the DL.

<snip> .......being popular with hotels and convention centers and thus a number of X16 or DL1608 type units being part of their rental inventory.

If the concept and defining feature fits, then by all means. I'm just saying that if the concept, the defining feature, the glaringly obvious focal pint of these mixers does not fit the requirement, then one is obviously looking at the wrong product. If it is a product worth looking at, then it has to be so because of the iPad. If a rental house sees a market, then fine. If you think that you can't rent this out because it is iPad dependent, then the argument should stop right there.
The argument that "We can't rent out this latest model because of such and such" seems to suggest that someone have got a secret memo from Behringer saying they are now designing for installs and rental houses. A few months ago, people were laughing at the idea of installs and rental inventory with a "B"-logo, now some see the opportunity. Behringer's customers-in-numbers will still be the bands, the hobbyists and the small operators, and most products has to be right for that group.

If the concept and defining feature fits, then by all means. I'm just saying that if the concept, the defining feature, the glaringly obvious focal pint of these mixers does not fit the requirement, then one is obviously looking at the wrong product. If it is a product worth looking at, then it has to be so because of the iPad. If a rental house sees a market, then fine. If you think that you can't rent this out because it is iPad dependent, then the argument should stop right there.
The argument that "We can't rent out this latest model because of such and such" seems to suggest that someone have got a secret memo from Behringer saying they are now designing for installs and rental houses. A few months ago, people were laughing at the idea of installs and rental inventory with a "B"-logo, now some see the opportunity. Behringer's customers-in-numbers will still be the bands, the hobbyists and the small operators, and most products has to be right for that group.

In-hotel AV providers have long wanted small mixers that can be hidden out of sight. For some reason customers want all the benefits of technology without any of that technology being visible... and that's why Mackie's small analog mixers and Shure's SCM line of 26x models remain popular in that market.

Security, both for the network and the physical pad devices will need to be addressed for AV shops to embrace these new mixers in a big way but both can be dealt with. It might not be funny to the clients when another pad user repeated tries to connect to the mixer, thinking it's "free wireless" in the hotel and the controller looses the connection.

In the USA it will be interesting to see what Presentation Services AV does. They're the largest in-house AV provider here (they bought out Swank AV in October 2012) and they're ruthless about cutting labor costs (since labor cost is about the only thing they can influence). If they can put tablet-controlled mixers in breakout rooms and have 1 tech roam those rooms with her controller, they'll adopt the technology.

Back to the iPad/Android consideration for a moment.... a firm like PSAV will hold out for Android simply based on costs: the costs of acquisition and of replacing lost/stolen tablets. Or not, if their clients start demanding this technology before non-Apple devices can control the mixers.

It will be interesting to see both the new toys from NAMM, and what the various audio markets will make of the new gear.

Last edited:
Re: X16 Preview

I guess I should expand on my comment. Why I wouldn't buy another product from Behringer is, they are noisy. Hissy and just plain old cheap. lets see a inuke 6000 at $400 dollars, a 4 channel gate at $109, on and on down the line. I can't afford the best gear in the world, but I can't afford to take a chance on a product sounding like a pink noise generator when just sitting there idling through the system.
As far as the comment of my crest 8200 amps and being wheel chocks, not that bad, just not built like the old days, but they do sound good, and are not noise makers. You just have to bring a spare along, Lol.
How many Behringer products are listed on a riders, or used in even systems of lets say $30,000 dollar rigs.
What was the final fix for the x32 that screws up when you lift up a corner?
Also, lets see how the products are holding up after 5 years.

@Per: I'm an idiot...you are right. Behind the 3U rack there seems to be a X16 (whatever you call it) with 8 faders less than the X32. On the left of it, there seems to be another version. To sum it up, there seems to be at least four (!) different new X-devices. Great! I'm with you, probably there will be units with and without onboard inputs, what makes perfectly sense, if you already own one or two S-16.
As far as I can determine there are at least four new devices in the x32-family:
T8
X32
X32C
X32P
X32RACK

Last edited:

alan I live near you if you want to run behringer x32 at a gig some time :)

Did they make it quiet, unlike their analog stuff? Is so I would try it. I just would not personally buy anything from Behringer yet without using it first. Also with some of the bad blood behringer has whats the resale value on their new items for people that purchace them new? That could be a concern for some?

Did they make it quiet, unlike their analog stuff?

Apparently so: RESULTS: Digital Mixer Shootout and VUE Audiotechnik Demo

Also with some of the bad blood behringer has whats the resale value on their new items for people that purchace them new? That could be a concern for some?

Are you seriously worrying about reselling a less than $4,000 mixer? I guess I'm a hoarder compared to many - resell is usually the last thing I worry about. I buy gear for me - if I can resell it later great. But I'm loath to box myself in because of what some other people may think - in the future no less.

:) :)... The bigger question is what happens to the resale value of the digital console competitors?

@alan.. we get it, you don't like Behringer. I suggest you don't buy one.

JR