X32 Discussion

re: X32 Discussion

Hi!

I've just ordered my x32 and will probably get it within a month or so...

I just wondered, since x32 is coreaudio compliant, has anyone connected it to the iPad yet to see if it works and if it works with Auria - That would be truly awesome!

?

Ive got a friend who wants to check out my X32 who has Auria. I'm curious to see if it'll work as well. I'll let you know how it goes....

Ive got a friend who wants to check out my X32 who has Auria. I'm curious to see if it'll work as well. I'll let you know how it goes....

Tnx!

I got a pm from Chase McKnight@behringer who is going to try this as well.

Don't forget to check if coremidi works as well. If it does this would mean that Lemur and other midi apps would work without the need of a computer :)

>
Perhaps you should look at using a dedicated show control software such as "Palladium" and it's supporting softwares, created and designed by a pro theatre designer and operator Chris Hubbard. www.chsounddesign.com. The software is designed to control multiple desks via midi, as well as firing sound effects and changing mic eq's to match performers and substitute for understudies. This is a system designed to do precisely exactly what i think you are wanting the x32 to do.

I don't think Palladium yet offers OSC-support. Hopefully CH Design and other providers of show control software will see the huge potential for new users/customers that the X32 offers, and not drag their feet in supporting it with the necessary development.

One thing that "worries" me though is that relatively few on this forum has expressed a desire to use the X32 for show/theatre, so maybe there is a forum somewhere for theatre sound people where there is more of an interest for this kind of thing. Anyone?

>

I don't think Palladium yet offers OSC-support. Hopefully CH Design and other providers of show control software will see the huge potential for new users/customers that the X32 offers, and not drag their feet in supporting it with the necessary development.

One thing that "worries" me though is that relatively few on this forum has expressed a desire to use the X32 for show/theatre, so maybe there is a forum somewhere for theatre sound people where there is more of an interest for this kind of thing. Anyone?

Sound - Blue Room technical forum

>

Hi there
Maybe some other mixed users including theatre, like me have been watching from the sidelines!

Paul

[email protected]

It's where the theatre sound designers and operators tend to congregate. You'll recognize some of the names there... I suggest reading the archive and lurking on the list for a couple of weeks before jumping in.

As an extension to the "We Hear You" motto, it might be nice to have a system in place (a method of polling), to gauge interest in enhancements.

There are some drawbacks, and some obstacles to overcome. However, real-time market research, from the people actually using the product, should be invaluable.

As you say, there are obstacles - the biggest one being selection bias. I just saw this on the Ubiquity Networks forums where the dev team for a new router platform missed a pretty big requirement for a carrier class router (MPLS) by initially targeting too narrow a group for feedback. They caught it in the beta stage, but the initial release is pretty baked and it will be interesting to see how long it takes them to recover.

i like Uli's commitment: the X32 is a live console first, and if we can add other stuff to enhance its usability, we will.

Many times products are more valuable for what they leave out than what they have in. Uli is already hinting at more products in the X32 family, so rather than this board trying to be all things to all people why can't this one be the best it can for live sound, another for studio and if demand warrants, another for theater?

Im not saying that's what it ultimately should be, just that we shouldn't be afraid to "think outside the box". Heck, I can see how a supplemental control surface optimized for scene management might be better still - it would enable two person operation more easily among other things. Although a way to quickly save the current scene with one button from anywhere on the board (not having to be in a particular screen on the display - i.e. "blind") would be great.

I do know trying to cram multiple audience requirements into one surface is an easy way to potentially frustrate everyone. And yup, I'm being a little selfish since I need a good live console, and not a studio or theater console - so I don't want to potentially see the live aspects muddled to serve those other requirements :)

5/ Bought a Gigabyte Firewire Adapter card - Installed in PC, Disabled onboard Firewire - Same Result
6/ Bought a texas Instrument Firewire Card - Installed in PC - Same Result

XP may be a significant part of your issues too. It's long in the tooth and almost no one is updating drivers for it :(

Is A Texas Instruments FireWire Controller Vital For Your Audio PC?

You may need to try some alternate drivers for those cards, or I have had good luck with SIIG - they are mentioned in that article and several others. There is no question FireWire is a second class citizen on Windows. Yup, you get flexibility but it sometimes comes with some trade offs.

And no, in reading through the DAW forums I don't think you having problems with three interfaces is unusual. If you want to narrow it down quickly, as suggested by others, borrow a Mac and see if the X32 comes up - if so the issue is with your PC; if not then I would persue it with B as a possible HW fault. But I'd wager a small sum it's a mix of your MB chipset, FW chipset, MB chipset driver, FW driver and XP.

Have you flashed you MB BIOS to the latest version? Updated your chipset drivers? Tried the FW driver on the CD that came with the card AND then the latest on the vendors web site? (Sometimes the older ones work better due to the mix of stuff on YOUR system) Updated your video card driver? (Stuff you wouldn't think is related is often affected by wonky video card drivers - mainly printing issues but I have seen it all!)

When you put the third party cards in did you disable the motherboard FW ports and uninstall the VIA driver?

Those are all things you should try.

As you say, there are obstacles - the biggest one being selection bias. I just saw this on the Ubiquity Networks forums where the dev team for a new router platform missed a pretty big requirement for a carrier class router (MPLS) by initially targeting too narrow a group for feedback. They caught it in the beta stage, but the initial release is pretty baked and it will be interesting to see how long it takes them to recover.

i like Uli's commitment: the X32 is a live console first, and if we can add other stuff to enhance its usability, we will.

Many times products are more valuable for what they leave out than what they have in. Uli is already hinting at more products in the X32 family, so rather than this board trying to be all things to all people why can't this one be the best it can for live sound, another for studio and if demand warrants, another for theater?

Im not saying that's what it ultimately should be, just that we shouldn't be afraid to "think outside the box". Heck, I can see how a supplemental control surface optimized for scene management might be better still - it would enable two person operation more easily among other things. Although a way to quickly save the current scene with one button from anywhere on the board (not having to be in a particular screen on the display - i.e. "blind") would be great.

I do know trying to cram multiple audience requirements into one surface is an easy way to potentially frustrate everyone. And yup, I'm being a little selfish since I need a good live console, and not a studio or theater console - so I don't want to potentially see the live aspects muddled to serve those other requirements :)

I agree with you but keep one thing in mind. With a digital console and preference settings hopefully any manufacturer (not directing this at just Behringer) can make the console flexible enough, that with the settings (preferences) the way you like it, and then with a change to the settings I should be able to also do things the way I like. It can be almost all things to all people. I think you will find that anything I want to do would not in any way inhibit anything that you want to do. You might even like some of the things I like.

Now if we are talking about them spending time to make it also work the way I want and not spending the time on something you want then that can be a problem.

Now the things I am asking for to make the X32 better then it is now for theater use I don’t think are that much. But maybe it is too much for this platform to handle.

In the theater thread I started I am going to list the features or should I say capabilities I would like. You are free to comment there and tell me where I am wrong. I am all for a discussion on this.

As I am getting closer to buying an X32 I have a question about the remote control from a computer. I am wondering if I could have my monitor mixer at the stage with a laptop to change monitor settings while I was mixing at FOH with out effecting my mixing. If he brings up say aux 4 on sends on fader to change levels would the x32 change to that mode or could I continue to mix without noticing the change? Is there another way for this to happen. This would cut down on the extra monitor board and load out time as well. It is all about the out sometimes.

As I am getting closer to buying an X32 I have a question about the remote control from a computer. I am wondering if I could have my monitor mixer at the stage with a laptop to change monitor settings while I was mixing at FOH with out effecting my mixing. If he brings up say aux 4 on sends on fader to change levels would the x32 change to that mode or could I continue to mix without noticing the change? Is there another way for this to happen. This would cut down on the extra monitor board and load out time as well. It is all about the out sometimes.

As long as you don't have the FOH X32 configured for sends on fader, you'll never see it, with the possible exception of on the aux send rotary LED rings. An iPad is another good option for this.....

I agree with you but keep one thing in mind. With a digital console and preference settings hopefully any manufacturer (not directing this at just Behringer) can make the console flexible enough, that with the settings (preferences) the way you like it, and then with a change to the settings I should be able to also do things the way I like. It can be almost all things to all people. I think you will find that anything I want to do would not in any way inhibit anything that you want to do. You might even like some of the things I like.

I agree! If the physical control surface is sufficient and it's just a matter of software - well, there are multiple ways to handle that. It will be interesting to see what the Behringer boys can come up with. They certainly have been full of good surprises so far!

In the theater thread I started I am going to list the features or should I say capabilities I would like. You are free to comment there and tell me where I am wrong. I am all for a discussion on this.

Woah - I'm not ready to declare things "wrong" - not yet 8)~:cool:~:cool:

I just received my X32. In going over everything there is "digital" noise on both A & B talkback sends. I remember reading this earlier in this mess, but when I looked I couldn't find it. Does anybody know what the resolution was?

Otherwise the console is working fine. No noise on 16/32. The effects sound fine and the interface receives for recording and sends for playback.

My X32 should be with me in a few days...

I want to connect my keyboard and an iPod for backing tracks playback, should I use the AUX inputs (re-routing those to channels) or use a DI box to change the connections to XLR?

Same with my wireless mic, is it better to use an AUX in or go straight to the MIC input XLR?

or do a buy a jack to XLR cable for the keyboard and iPod?

Thanks
Craig

I just received my X32. In going over everything there is "digital" noise on both A & B talkback sends. I remember reading this earlier in this mess, but when I looked I couldn't find it. Does anybody know what the resolution was?

Otherwise the console is working fine. No noise on 16/32. The effects sound fine and the interface receives for recording and sends for playback.

I have quite a hiss/ noisefloor on my talkback as well. Please post the remedy. Fortunately that appears to be the only issue with my first desk(which is now installed in my club rig). The second desk comes out of the box monday

My X32 should be with me in a few days...

I want to connect my keyboard and an iPod for backing tracks playback, should I use the AUX inputs (re-routing those to channels) or use a DI box to change the connections to XLR?

Same with my wireless mic, is it better to use an AUX in or go straight to the MIC input XLR?

or do a buy a jack to XLR cable for the keyboard and iPod?

Thanks
Craig
A matter of your convenience, as either will work perfectly well. The XLR inputs will accept line level quite happily, no DI box needed, so jack to XLR cables (or adapters) would be fine.

Using the X32 for real for the first time this week-end, I was slightly surprised that it popped the outputs when I turned it off and when I changed the sample-rate. I would have guessed that things like this would have been a thing of the past, and that modern d/a circuits can be set to do soft power ups and shut-downs. Is this something that can be remedied in firmware or would it have to take a hardware modification to have soft start/stop?
I realize that you are supposed to turn your amps and speakers down before doing silly things like powering up/down and performing resets, but it gets a bit complicated when you have lots of stuff connected. Is there a way to accomodate us lazy b.......???

Using the X32 for real for the first time this week-end, I was slightly surprised that it popped the outputs when I turned it off and when I changed the sample-rate. I would have guessed that things like this would have been a thing of the past, and that modern d/a circuits can be set to do soft power ups and shut-downs. Is this something that can be remedied in firmware or would it have to take a hardware modification to have soft start/stop?
I realize that you are supposed to turn your amps and speakers down before doing silly things like powering up/down and performing resets, but it gets a bit complicated when you have lots of stuff connected. Is there a way to accomodate us lazy b.......???

This is something I checked for immediately and was also shocked to see witness the power down pop. People do get power procedures wrong, I've witnessed a RCF 310A go pop in a puff of smoke through someone changing the sample rate on a D/A converter fed from a Yamaha 01V. And that sample rate change was accidental...

If this could be addressed, it should be! (Thanks for reminding me about this Per)

I'm trying to get Sonar 8 Producer to use my X32. I've got Sonar setup with a 'Mackie Control' surface on the X32 MIDI ports, but the X32 shows 'mute' on the leds when I press 'remote'.

I've tried with both USB & FireWire. Audio is ok, it just the control surface that isn't working.

Any ideas?

The X32 won't connect to Sonar X2 either. It will however connect perfectly to Studio One on the same computer. It proves to me there's a specific communication issue with the x32 and sonar. I talked with a cakewalk tech. And we made sure all the settings were correct, but so far no luck. I don't think it will ever work unless cakewalk and behringer make some internal changes. Oh and I forgot to mention that I tried all of the different control surfaces in sonar just for fun, when the mackie controller didn't work, and it will work for the most part if you set the controller on sonar to the v700c setting. The scribble strips won't read track info. And the bank select buttons react in reverse.

Last edited:

This week end was the first Real X32 test for me. The rig was pretty large. 16 pc Line array, an M7Cl on FOH and the X32 on Monitor. Had 8 mixes plus 4 IEM and 2 sides. I had problem using the mix bus as master faders so I decided to reset the board, after that everything went fine. I am pretty happy with it.

Next gig is a 8 pcs group in a large hall, will let you know how FOH it is !

Thank you Christian and Per for the Help, it was simply a bad routing from my side !

Othmane