X32 Discussion

X32 in Mongolia

Our production company travels every year around the world offering free concerts. Our latest tour in Mongolia posed quite a logistic challenge. With no PA rental facilities in the country, we would need to bring as much equipment as we could from NY, as checked luggage.

Up to now all the digital mixers we wanted to purchase were beyond our price range. The X32 seemed just perfect for our needs, and within our reach. We then decided to buy one. The only problem was getting it to Mongolia.

My friend Komal then designed a custom hard foam flight case, which used 5 different kinds of foam glued with a special cement. It was then covered in a special fabric, and ended up looking like a strange suitcase. With the mixer inside, it weights only 57 pounds.

To our surprise at the airport it was checked in without a problem on both ways, and we didn't even have to pay excess weight. The equipment arrived in Ulaan Baatar perfectly safe, and it enabled us to have 4 beautiful concerts in the cities of Erdenet, Darhan and Ulaan Baatar. We used a Mac running Logic for multitrack recording and XControl (under Parallels) for naming the channel strips and monitoring levels. An iPad with XiControl was used on the stage during sound checks by the monitor engineer. We didn't had any glitches or problems during the whole tour.

Thank you Uli and crew for making all this possible!

Ashirvad Zaiantchick
Sound engineer
<www.songsofthesoul.com>

Mongolia-small-1_zps5a85be7d.jpg

Mongolia-small-2_zps4836a6aa.jpg

Mongolia-small-3_zpsefbd9417.jpg

Mongolia-small-4_zps1ab404f3.jpg

Mongolia-small-5_zps0c56f900.jpg

Re: X32 in Mongolia

My friend Komal then designed a custom hard foam flight case, which used 5 different kinds of foam glued with a special cement. It was then covered in a special fabric, and ended up looking like a strange suitcase. With the mixer inside, it weights only 57 pounds.

I would LOVE to hear more about this - materials used, overall dimension, etc. I only use my desk about 6 times per year, so it's tough for me to justify a $400 flightcase, but THIS sound PERFECT! My biggest concern is being able to fit it in the trunk of my VW Jetta - the box the X32 arrived in wouldn't fit without the back seats "released", but the desk alone fits fine. I'm VERY nervous bringing it anywhere "naked" (no case). Plus, the benefit of being able to fly with the case (if I ever needed to - and I've considered it...) would be awesome.

Thanks for posting, and congratulations on the successful tour!

Musical regards,

Don

I would LOVE to hear more about this - materials used, overall dimension, etc. I only use my desk about 6 times per year, so it's tough for me to justify a $400 flightcase, but THIS sound PERFECT! My biggest concern is being able to fit it in the trunk of my VW Jetta - the box the X32 arrived in wouldn't fit without the back seats "released", but the desk alone fits fine. I'm VERY nervous bringing it anywhere "naked" (no case). Plus, the benefit of being able to fly with the case (if I ever needed to - and I've considered it...) would be awesome.

Thanks for posting, and congratulations on the successful tour!

Musical regards,

Don

A good solid ATA case should be a no-brained especially if you are considering flying. Better safe than sorry.

A good solid ATA case should be a no-brained especially if you are considering flying. Better safe than sorry.

If it's a no brainier, then I'm fully qualified! :). Seriously, I've never had to fly with my gear, and rarely consider it. But, with the small footprint and lightweight design, it's perfect for humping around in my car, and considering the OPs gear went from NYC to Asia without any sign of damage, it's encouraging for me just in case I'd ever think of moving it with an airline..... I honestly do appreciate and respect both your concern and position on the matter....

re: X32 Discussion

could have my monitor mixer at the stage with a laptop to change monitor settings while I was mixing at FOH with out effecting my mixing. If he brings up say aux 4 on sends on fader to change levels would the x32 change to that mode or could I continue to mix without noticing the change? Is there another way for this to happen. This would cut down on the extra monitor board and load out time as well. It is all about the out sometimes.

As Donald mentioned, you won't notice.

However, one of the biggest drawbacks to mixing monitors using XControl… There is no practical way to PFL/AFL anything.

There are some creative ways to get the mixes to the person mixing the monitors. But, the more I’ve explored them, the more I realize there is no standout solution.

Eric H.

Last edited:
Re: X32 + Auria - does it work

Had a quick try with mine .. didn't work. iPad gives the "USB Device uses too much power" .. wondering if it would work with a powered hub in between? .. I'll try that tomorrow perhaps.

Howdy

Looked into Auria app and the website - got really interested - especially for the money.....

Did you guys have time to check it yet?

Nuuska

Had a quick try with mine .. didn't work. iPad gives the "USB Device uses too much power" .. wondering if it would work with a powered hub in between? .. I'll try that tomorrow perhaps.

Auria has the x32 listed on their site as compatible when using a powered hub.

Auria Audio Interfaces

When I get my replacement X32 I will definitely test it with both a powered and non powered USB hub to see which works.

There ya go ... I might just get off the couch and into the studio to try that shortly ...

Also got a nice Roadcase with a doghouse made .. I'll try and post some pics ...

Auria Audio Interfaces

When I get my replacement X32 I will definitely test it with both a powered and non powered USB hub to see which works.

Auria Audio Interfaces

That must be a x32-bug, reporting the wrong power capabilities to the iPad.

A device supplying its own power won't use any usb-host power in normal cases...

Using the X32 for real for the first time this week-end, I was slightly surprised that it popped the outputs when I turned it off and when I changed the sample-rate.

Wow, I'm really surprised to hear that since they specifically tout a soft power up to prevent pops! Hopefully it's just a firmware update - I could see you needing to power off a console for reboots far more often than an analog desk. Our amps are in a different room upstairs so having to power them off to reboot the console will be a real inconvenience!

Will there ever be a way to set scribble strips on the console? Kind of a PITA if I am on a gig and need to name channels. I am running xcontrol on my MacBook in Bootcamp but will be recording shows with Reaper in Mac iOS.

Will there ever be a way to set scribble strips on the console? Kind of a PITA if I am on a gig and need to name channels. I am running xcontrol on my MacBook in Bootcamp but will be recording shows with Reaper in Mac iOS.

Forgive me if I've misunderstood... For the scribble strip on the X32 itself, you want to name the Channel and set the icon on the board itself?

If so:

- Select the Channel.
- Go to the Config tab.
- Press the Utility button.

Eric H.

I haven't tried this yet, but I'm going to start making presets for instruments and saving them, that way renaming scribble strips would only be for the odd occasion , a special name.... However I found it much easier after they implemented holding the select key, then utility- taking you right there... Something still on my wish list is the ability to page mark dual eq, a or b... There is a knob spot on the right to branch that out after selecting effect "5" for example to set ( a or b). Hint hint

Since update 1.09

- hold the ch Select
- Press the Utility button.

With the newer firmware, that's another way.

Something as simple as setting the scribble strips shouldn’t need to be explained.

I would do one of two things to make this more intuitive:

- Press the Setup button.
- Rename the “dca groups” tab “scribble strip”.
- Use this screen for all Scribble Strip setup, not just for DCA's.

Or

- Select a Channel (or a Bus).
- Select the “config” tab.
- Label the first encoder, “Edit Scribble Strip”.

Eric H.

Last edited: