X32 Discussion

Re: xControl

Hey guys, when recording to Cubase 5 via USB, is it possible to record busses in addition to direct outs? I know I can record 1-32 directly to Cubase and I have no issues doing that. I would like to "sum" some inputs by using a bus and then send that bus as 1 channel to Cubase. Is this possible? If so, please explain.

Thanks,
Paul

Anyone? Someone? Please :eek:~:-o~:eek:

Re: xControl

You only have 32 channels in total for the usb/fiwi.

In the routing menu choose card out. Set i.e. output 25-32 to out 1-8. This means that you lose eight of you direct outputs.

This will route your first eight mixbusses to your daw input channels 25 thru 32.
Now you can mix your bus to taste and record that into your daw.

Re: Recording in Reaper

Hey Guys, I have a question regarding Reaper and the X32. I think this may have been answered before. I have followed this thread from the beginning, but I can't seem to find it as I go back through it. I have also done a search but couldn't find what I was looking for.

I have gone through the seminar Joe posted regarding reaper and the X32 and I don't believe it was mentioned in there.

I would like to have a control room mix and a monitor mix for the recording musician. in the control room mix, I would like to have all channels that are unmuted play back through the x32. (I have figured out how to do this and it works fine!)

When the musician is recording, how can I set up a mix for him that will only play what he/she wants to hear? I would like to use the "monitor" button in Reaper to designate what he/she hears. I intend on having the musician's mix be fed from one of the outputs on the X32. I was thinking output number 1.

An example of this would be: Sitting in the control room while the drummer is tracking drums, I would like to hear the drums and the click track in the control room. The drummer only wants to hear the click track and no drums.

I believe this will have to be a setting in Reaper, and perhaps I should be starting a new thread for this, but I swore it was answered somewhere and I just can't find it. If someone could let me know how to do it or where to find it, that would be great and I would really appreciate it!

Thanks in advance!

Karl

Perhaps turn right down the drum record track OUTPUT audio in Reaper? It will still record the drums but there will be no send back to your room. This works in Live - the audio meters show input levels bu you do not need to hear that audio until playback.

Re: Recording routing question

To record buses, you need to select buses for eight channels, reducing your direct recording capacity to 24. Now, if you don't need the buses for monitors or whatever, you could of course regain direct recording capacity by routing individual channels through buses one by one.

In the "ROUTING" menu, "card out" tab, you select Out 1-8 as source for Expansion Card output 25-32
In the "analog out" tab, you make sure that the Output 01 to Output 08 have got the corresponding MixBuses as source, except for the ones that you might want to use for direct recording input channels, then you select Direct out Ch 25, 26 --- 32 for the channels you want.
The buses that you have bypassed by using direct out, can of course be used as group buses or whatever, but the corresponding outputs will be taken. You can still send them to mains, p16 etc.

Re: Case/doghouse tray idea...

Sounds good to me. I'm one of the guys that schleps touring consoles in/out of our PAC. At 250#, that's a box of air compared with moving a PM5D, PM1D, Cadac *anything*, or Midas XL or Heritage. Most shows have 3 or 4 300# racks plus the mixer/surface. Just cutting 1 rack makes me smile.

Now wearing my regional sound company hat... recently we worked with a country artist that had a AVID Profile/mixrack or SC48 (can't remember which). In the case, behind the keyboard, the BE mounted a MacMini and KVM switch. He used the Mini to run Smaart, iTunes, set list notes and record the show with ProTools. The switch flipped between the Mini and the console. He also had a little i/o panel built into the doghouse to make for easy patching. No carry rack, everything fits in the case.

There are a couple other theatre sound mixers on these forums and I recall a couple of posts regarding using the X32 on musicals. Your observations will be most welcome.

Amen to cutting racks, brother. I would rather cart a pair (or 3) of these than anything else. Especially with the fact that I am (as soon as the three S16's arrive) cutting down the weight of multicore also. Sticking a bundle of 4 cat5 lines, 2 com lines, and an AC line on a canare reel will save some effort also- I love that my snake is now just over an inch in diameter.

I will go back thru the threads and look for musical theater posts. I think that this desk will be very well suited for most productions. If you're doing Phantom and want to try and 360* pan the phantom's voice you might have a challenge, but most should find it fits well. Using the scene memory from the USB stick will almost be imperative. I am keeping "starting points" only on the console itself, and setting up a new thumb drive for each show. I bought a box of 2GB drives on amazon for cheap and they seem to work fine. Most of my shows receive a standardized setup-

LCR mains with subs on an aux
4 foldback mixes (1 flown overhead, 1 downstage, 1 SL, and 1 SR)
16 RF mics
as many as 12-16 boundary mics- submixed on rack-mount mixers then fed to main desk
12-16 channels from the band
P16's in the band so I don't have to deal with them (ha!)

Because I work with with the same band on many shows throughout the year, I can give them a P16i and some P16's and they're fine. Adding the S16 will be increasingly helpful as they can use the ADAT out into the P16i for as many as 12 channels, with they're own 12 channel mixer for talkback and "pit only" devices- i.e. crap I don't need cluttering up my desk!!!

New version of XiControl

I love that the new app includes EQ as well as the meters and fader position. Good stuff.

However, I'm just curious, does anyone else feel that fader movement on the prior version was much more fluid? It seems like now there is a decent amount of lag making movements. Both on the app and on the X32 itself. It still works well and I don't see it being a problem, but it seems like performance wise it may have taken a step back.

Again just curious if anyone else noticed this or if it's just me. I still am the cats ass. In case you were wondering.

360* panning

Amen ................ If you're doing Phantom and want to try and 360* pan the phantom's voice you might have a challenge, ............

Hello

In my "Pink Floyd-project" where I have secondary pa behind audience I use the AUX outs and ins to connect external quadroprocessor - and I might use an external guad joystick, which gets its input from a subgroup and returns to AUX-inputs along with the quad-processor.

I can feed two returns in one input with simple Y-cord, which has summing resistors inside plugs. I loose few dB there, but since it is line level, I can afford it and compensate with gain.

Four Y-cables - quad-processor - quad joystick

Perhaps I use one of the custom-encoders to feed the joystick - then I do not have to select the channel and turn AUX-send, when time to "roundtrip" comes - just grab the encoder and SWOOOOOSSSSHHHHHH

Last edited:
Re: 360* panning

So I finally received my X32 Saturday. I absolutely love the routing capabilities of the board. Did my first recording on Sunday, 19 tracks into protools. NO problems there. My only issue is getting Protools to play back through the desk. It seems that my Macbook Pro and Protools has an issue when using the X32 as the playback engine. I have tried different sample rates but so far no luck. Otherwise everything works great. With this being my third digital console the X32 is by far the easiest to get around on. I can't wait to do my first show with it. (two weeks) If someone has any insight on the Protools issue that would be great. I will be looking into Reaper for sound check recording. I also need to get my laptop to work with the X32 but I think it is just a set up issue within the laptop. Thanks to Christian and Per as well as the boys from Behringer for all the info on this desk.

First post here (I'm still reading through the thread, page 69 at the moment) and thanks to all involved, the reading has been great.

Picked up my X32 here in Sydney, Australia, a few weeks back, and have only just had a chance to un-box it and use it on its first gig. And it was a very pleasant experience indeed. Setup at home the night before (basic channel setup, basic dynamics etc) and finishing touches prior to soundcheck meant everything was quick, and the client was impressed.

One small con to the X32 is that I feel the manual is still a bit too basic. Some areas are explained with enough detail to sort things out, but others seem to be more "Here is where it is, go exploring". Reading this forum, and watching the videos made by some of the members, has helped a lot with what the manual lacks.

That said, the mixer has impressed me. And I'm still learning half of what it can do.

I can't wait for v2 of the OS, with the SMAART (or similar) built in; hopefully transmitting back to the iControl. That said, the client was very impressed as he watched me wander out among the seats with my iPad controlling the desk, and iPhone running AudioTools RTA/SMAART.

Now to get a road-case for it, buy a few S16s, and wait for the X16 and X16r :)

*edit* I do have a question for the Behringer guys - I keep hearing of people being able to call the main service locations in Europe and the US to get help with issues - what would be the best option for those of us outside of those areas. In a pinch I wouldn't be too worried with having to call the US to get a tech question answered, but if there is a more local option, it would be very appreciated.

Last edited:
Re: New version of XiControl

I love that the new app includes EQ as well as the meters and fader position. Good stuff.

However, I'm just curious, does anyone else feel that fader movement on the prior version was much more fluid? It seems like now there is a decent amount of lag making movements. Both on the app and on the X32 itself. It still works well and I don't see it being a problem, but it seems like performance wise it may have taken a step back.

Again just curious if anyone else noticed this or if it's just me. I still am the cats ass. In case you were wondering.
Yes, I noticed this too.

I felt it more with the buses (or was it send on faders?)

I noticed that there were some screen re-draws that felt un-called for in the middle of operation, again on the buses.

Firmware and patching concerns

I will throw this one out there and ask for your feed back. In a recent conversation with the folks at Behringer Support, I was made aware of the fact that currently there is no way to individually route outputs of the desk to designated S16's. For example, If you have three S16's, located around your stage in different areas, you can only send the same outs to each ones. I want to be able to send certain feeds to S16-A versus S16-B versus S16-C. This lessens the amount of long mic cable runs and cleans up the stage environment. How hard would it be to have an output "jack" selection on the main page of the buss/matrix/main page where you can route to any male XLR you choose (ADAT and 1/4" are included in the same thought)?

Again, I ask for input here in case I am missing something, but would it not be prudent to offer a choice on the firmware of the X32 to function like it does now for the general user, and perhaps offer an "expert mode" which would facilitate detailed patching options? Not to mention that other options could be written into expert mode that some of us have been asking for.
Also, how much processing power does it take to run one of the effects chains? Is it enough that if there was an option in said "expert mode" to allow us to give up one effects processor for full channel functionality on all the aux return channels thus making the X32 into a full 40 channel desk? Of course this could only be activated in the presence of at least on S16....

Let's hope that your feelings are the same as mine and the idea makes it up the chain as well....

Re: Firmware and patching concerns

I will throw this one out there and ask for your feed back. In a recent conversation with the folks at Behringer Support, I was made aware of the fact that currently there is no way to individually route outputs of the desk to designated S16's. For example, If you have three S16's, located around your stage in different areas, you can only send the same outs to each ones. I want to be able to send certain feeds to S16-A versus S16-B versus S16-C. This lessens the amount of long mic cable runs and cleans up the stage environment. How hard would it be to have an output "jack" selection on the main page of the buss/matrix/main page where you can route to any male XLR you choose (ADAT and 1/4" are included in the same thought)?

I don't think the information you received is accurate. For example, you can set Outputs 1-8 on one S16, and then 9-16 on a second S16. Then on the ouput routing page, you can assign an X32 output to any one of the 16 S16 outputs. So if I had an S16 on each side of the stage, I could set Out 8 on one S16 to be the left main signal, and Out 8 on the second S16 (which would actually be ouput 16) to be the right main signal. Or if you had an S16 on the back line, you could send Buss 5 (drum monitor mix) to any of the Outs (9-16) for his monitor feed.

Last edited:

I don't think the information you received is accurate. For example, you can set Outputs 1-8 on one S16, and then 9-16 on a second S16. Then on the ouput routing page, you can assign an X32 output to any one of the 16 S16 outputs. So if I had an S16 on each side of the stage, I could set Out 8 on one S16 to be the left main signal, and Out 8 on the second S16 (which would actually be ouput 16) to be the right main signal. Or if you had an S16 on the back line, you could send Buss 5 (drum monitor mix) to any of the Outs (9-16) for his monitor feed.

I apologize as my post did not contain my entire thought. I understand what you are saying is possible, but what they told me and that I somehow failed to mention is that it is mirrored off the rear panel connectors of the X32. What if I need those outs at FOH, but need completely different ones at each S16. That is where it gets shady. Even the guys at the support desk were a bit puzzled about this. Does that make sense? Shouldn't you be able to freely assign any signal to ANY output, be it local or remote? Again, my thought for "expert mode" is to eliminate the limitations of the blocks of 8 configuration. I can see where right now I need to have 4 direct outs sitting beside 2 matrix outs sent to the same S16. As it stands now, I can only do one or the other without tying up other outs at the desk.

Correct!

Re: XiControl 1.2 Available

way more important to me was Graphic EQ control for FOH and Monitors :(

Give me PEQ and call me happy. I'll take the scalpel rather than the hacksaw, thanks.

I get it, sure a graph can be handy in some run & gun situations, festival style monitors, etc, but it is rarely the best tool outside of such conditions. Try using PEQ instead of reaching for the graphic, with a little practice, you will not want to go back.

Cheers
Jeff

I apologize as my post did not contain my entire thought. I understand what you are saying is possible, but what they told me and that I somehow failed to mention is that it is mirrored off the rear panel connectors of the X32. What if I need those outs at FOH, but need completely different ones at each S16. That is where it gets shady. Even the guys at the support desk were a bit puzzled about this. Does that make sense? Shouldn't you be able to freely assign any signal to ANY output, be it local or remote? Again, my thought for "expert mode" is to eliminate the limitations of the blocks of 8 configuration. I can see where right now I need to have 4 direct outs sitting beside 2 matrix outs sent to the same S16. As it stands now, I can only do one or the other without tying up other outs at the desk.

Hello

If you do not need the P16 system, then those outputs are also available on S16 - still in blocks of 8 - as the AUX-outs. And for P16 you are free to choose of any 16 of 32 channels or 16 busses.

Edit / add

Of course if you have two CAT cables, then you could connect one in AES A and second to AES B and run total 32 outputs on stage with 4 x S16

Last edited: