X32 Discussion

Re: X32 Discussion

ya i get it . ill just keep messin lol what is the db of the clip on the board anyone know ?

0dBFS - it's a digital board! You have to re-train yourself regarding what the meters are telling you on a digital board. You should be mixing around -18dBFS, or even lower, to ensure you have headroom for peaks.

The analogue output on the XLRs at 0dBFS on the meters, is +21dBU

(note: a dB value by itself is just a ratio - it is meaningless without knowing the reference level - hence dBFS and dBU. But I'm sure you knew that).

ran it again last night still no head room im going to bring my a&h and rack in this week since we are at the same venue and see how it is . even with the ipod on the level is high . this is the only issue we cannot get out head around . we have plenty of power and gear

ran it again last night still no head room im going to bring my a&h and rack in this week since we are at the same venue and see how it is . even with the ipod on the level is high . this is the only issue we cannot get out head around . we have plenty of power and gear
]

I use all kind of small analog boards for club gigs and small festivals. I just plugged the X32 into the FOH slot and it works perfectly. I always run a drive rack with extra gain available after the console anyway.

Where is it you are lacking headroom? Where are your input meters at, and where are your output meters?
If you gain your input to where the clip lights flicker occasionally like you might on an analog desk, then you are way too hot, you should be around -28 to -18 dB on the inputs and still be able to get your output above 4dBu (-17dBFS) and most amp gear should be able to reach full output at that level, so then it would just be a matter of setting you amps to whatever attentuation you need to allow for the headroom you need (and the amps and speakers can give you when you are at nominal performance level.

Re: Recording effects into a DAW

If you want to record the processed signal, you need to route the signal with effects via a bus to an output, and record the output.

I've tried to solve this but just cannot work it out. This is not something critical only something I think ought to be easy to do and yet for me its not. I've copied various answers such as "In the routing menu choose card out. Set i.e. output 25-32 to out 1-8. This means that you lose eight of you direct outputs.

This will route your first eight mixbusses to your daw input channels 25 thru 32.
Now you can mix your bus to taste and record that into your daw."

But that has not worked. All I can record in the DAW is a dry signal. I can add FX inside the DAW of course but I'd just like to be able to use the X32's FX if I want.

Is there some idiots guide for this particular process?

What is is "headroom" you speak of? Is the output too hot for the downstream devices/amps/speakers or do you not have sufficient drive level?

I suspect that Mr. Sovik's comments will lead you to the key to your issue....

Re: Sub zero tempratuer performance ?

I just done a 10hr outdoor xmas event, average temprature 2 degrees celsius. The X32 performed great at that temprature.
Anyone used it below zero degrees, with any issues ?

I've just done 2 days open air with temperatures ranging from -2 to 0 degrees. Only issue I had was one of the mute group buttons became a little bit sluggish, it took a while to physically pop back up once pressed. Other than that it performed flawlessly other than the metal work being uncomfortably cold to touch!

2 x x32's

Just a question on running 2x x32's.

What what I understand, one console runs the Pre's and the other has a 12+/- shift on it's channels.

With the A&H iLive, it rides the levels opposing to each other. So that a gain increase on the HA is reflected with a decrease of the digital trim on the other desk.

I assume this behaviour doesn't happen in the x32? .. foreseeable, it could be though?

Any thoughts on this, Behringer or Christian?

Seems a huge shame to still have to use an analogue split over a system that's Soooo close.

Imagine running 2xs16's to FB desk and then to FOH desk .. independent ... nice...

Windows 7 and audio drivrs problem after using the X-32 usb driver

Anyone noticed that their Windows 7 audio mixer just does not work after using and later closing the X32 down?

My PC does not revert to another audio output driver even after a reboot. Impossible to listen to Youtube etc

This has happened every time.

Re: 2 x x32's

Just a question on running 2x x32's.

What what I understand, one console runs the Pre's and the other has a 12+/- shift on it's channels.

With the A&H iLive, it rides the levels opposing to each other. So that a gain increase on the HA is reflected with a decrease of the digital trim on the other desk.

I assume this behaviour doesn't happen in the x32? .. foreseeable, it could be though?

Any thoughts on this, Behringer or Christian?

Seems a huge shame to still have to use an analogue split over a system that's Soooo close.

Imagine running 2xs16's to FB desk and then to FOH desk .. independent ... nice...

Why would your foh desk be that far off your monitor desk trim... They should be set for optimal use. You have a couple options... Radio the monitor tech to trim up the channel and adjust his sends accordingly. Or buss the weak channel on the foh desk to get more umph. If the channel is hot, it'll be ht on both desk, or see suggestion one...
+ or - 12 db should be tons if the mon desk is remotely close...

Why would your foh desk be that far off your monitor desk trim... They should be set for optimal use. You have a couple options... Radio the monitor tech to trim up the channel and adjust his sends accordingly. Or buss the weak channel on the foh desk to get more umph. If the channel is hot, it'll be ht on both desk, or see suggestion one...
+ or - 12 db should be tons if the mon desk is remotely close...

I totally agree it's tonnes .. I never said it wasn't?

But, changing gain structures but even a slight DB is dangerous without knowing.

In the middle of a show, you may have to make a change of +6 from monitor .. it would be nice in the FOH then went -6 so the foreseeable FOH volume didn't change. I believe this is how the IDR's and iLive system work it out. I change of -2 on the kick might suddenly kill the gate and kick disappears, it the FOH compensated, it wouldn't matter.

As far as "radio the monitor tech" .. i find in Rock 'n Roll .. radio'ing the tech is a little unreliable when they have 4 guitar stacks next to them.

Am I thinking mental?.

Hello all.
New member, first time poster. I waited 'til I'd read this entire thread before registering or posting here. My X32 arrived a couple weeks back, but I've not had much time to play with it yet. This being my "off season", I should have time to get familiar with it before using it in a live situation. I'd like to thank John Chiarra for hooking me up with pro sound service, where I got an amzing price. At 46, I've been in the sound business over 25 years, but this is my first forray into the digital mixing world. My current rig utilizes a Spirit live & the Usual 16 space rack full of outboard gear so this is going to be a very nice change, especially when I can get my hands on a couple of S16's.

I've REALLY enjoyed the gig reports/pictures from Christian & others here & overall this seems to be a very helpful group. I am sure I will have some upcoming questions for all of you.

As far as "radio the monitor tech" .. i find in Rock 'n Roll .. radio'ing the tech is a little unreliable when they have 4 guitar stacks next to them.

Am I thinking mental?.

Well I'd be thinking you wouldn't be using an x32 on a show w a gtr tech w 4 stacks...( thinking national act, not back yard poser band). But to answer your question, beacon & clear com .

Well I'd be thinking you wouldn't be using an x32 on a show w a gtr tech w 4 stacks...( thinking national act, not back yard poser band). But to answer your question, beacon & clear com .

I prefer to mix with both ears, not have one covered. But thanks for the condescending reply by answering a question I didn't ask on some brand of comms. We have comms, I understand what they are .. generally, not used in this environment.

So you're on here, to say the desk isn't good enough for what I'm using it for? .. fine, that's your opinion - but it IS being used in this environment very well, just with an analogue split at the moment .. but I'm asking how it operates in this AES50 split configuration .. don't come back at me telling me the configuration is wrong or shouldn't be done with this desk because of the size/budget of the show .. that's a pretentious attitude, and I don't think this forum is the place for it.

Rant Over.

I prefer to mix with both ears, not have one covered. But thanks for the condescending reply by answering a question I didn't ask on some brand of comms. We have comms, I understand what they are .. generally, not used in this environment.

So you're on here, to say the desk isn't good enough for what I'm using it for? .. fine, that's your opinion - but it IS being used in this environment very well, just with an analogue split at the moment .. but I'm asking how it operates in this AES50 split configuration .. don't come back at me telling me the configuration is wrong or shouldn't be done with this desk because of the size/budget of the show .. that's a pretentious attitude, and I don't think this forum is the place for it.

Rant Over.

Forgive me for "lowering the quality" of your forum reading... First of all, my tone was not derogatory , you only took it that way as email and the like can be... Secondly I give a rats ass what you are using your console for, you asked a question about digital trim and I gave you an answer of what i feel sop should be as it pertains to gain structure. ( that stands for standard operating procedure ). You sound like you know what your talking about, which confuses me as to the fact that you should know you don't mix with a clear com headset on... The beacon goes off, you put on the headset, or pick up a handset. Pretty ballsy calling someone out on a site that you have 17 posts on... Chill dude we can see your stripes.

Forgive me for "lowering the quality" of your forum reading... First of all, my tone was not derogatory , you only took it that way as email and the like can be... Secondly I give a rats ass what you are using your console for, you asked a question about digital trim and I gave you an answer of what i feel sop should be as it pertains to gain structure. ( that stands for standard operating procedure ). You sound like you know what your talking about, which confuses me as to the fact that you should know you don't mix with a clear com headset on... The beacon goes off, you put on the headset, or pick up a handset. Pretty ballsy calling someone out on a site that you have 17 posts on... Chill dude we can see your stripes.

I'm glad we're best buddies now.