X32 Discussion

S16 - rack mount ears

The S16's are brilliant - after my initial problems with syncing due to a faulty cat5 cable - ( shame the internal X32 pre-amps are now mainly redundant !).

However - tried to mount the units in a rack flight case but the rack mount holes on the S16's do not align with those on the case - it could be the case but also tried another - admit not of the highest quality - a Gator and studiospares one

- has anyone else had this problem?

Nick

Re: Vertical pairing

Dear Per,

i am afraid, if you want to have a Master dependant aux feed sub output, you need to use an Extra DCA, where every input ch is assigned to. This DCA master should be named as MASTER or ALL etc. In this case you should leave the real MASTER fader at 0dB level, and use the MASTER labelled DCA as Master Fader :-(

cheers,

Tamas

OK, I'm probably totally misunderstanding what you guys are talking about, but if you wanted the overall sub level to go up or down along with the master fader level going up or down, and you aren't using the Mono/Center bus, you could use the input channels Mono fader (Home page, Main tab) to feed your subs to the Mono/Center bus, and in the Setup page, go to the Global tab and in the 2nd column under "Link Preferences", check the last choice "M/C Depends on Main L/R". Please accept my humble apologies if you are already using the Mono/Center bus for something else, or if I have misunderstood what you are trying to do.

Multiple Reverbs

Hi all,

I've got a concert coming up, so I'm just getting the show file ready in XControl. In a studio environment I find that a fairly wet plate reverb followed by a long hall reverb really suits these particular vocals. Thought I might give it a go in a live environment too, but I can't think of how I can set it up on the X32 - any thoughts?! At the moment I've got 3 vocal channel inputs (not going to LR), sent post fader to Bus 5 & 6, and FX3 is a plate reverb on Bus 5 & 6. There's also the new de-esser effect as an insert on that bus.

I did think about sending the bus to a matrix channel, but then realised you can't put a reverb on a matrix.

OK, I'm probably totally misunderstanding what you guys are talking about, but if you wanted the overall sub level to go up or down along with the master fader level going up or down, and you aren't using the Mono/Center bus, you could use the input channels Mono fader (Home page, Main tab) to feed your subs to the Mono/Center bus, and in the Setup page, go to the Global tab and in the 2nd column under "Link Preferences", check the last choice "M/C Depends on Main L/R". Please accept my humble apologies if you are already using the Mono/Center bus for something else, or if I have misunderstood what you are trying to do.
Roll back about 150 pages and I think we had a similar discussion. I can't remeber if I have actually checked this properly on the console, but back then it was said that the mono was either the independent sends and independent of the Main LR fader, or when dependant, a sum of the LR signals. I went a different rout, using an ordinary send to a bus, and don't remember if I checked the mono route when I had the console available.
While the aux subs problem might be solved via the mono if the workings are different from what we were told back then, it still leaves us with the notion that having the main fader position available as DCA for independant channels can be really useful.
My biggest grumble with the mono by the way is that it is not available as send on fader, you have to go into each channel and twirl the rotary like mad to get it up to zero.

Crossover processing onboard

From the 1.10 Release Notes:
Matrix buses have some new features that enable them to be used in simple speaker processing applications:
- phase inverter switchable in config/preamp section
- signal tap (pre/post EQ, pre/post fader) from bus sends to matrix can be selected now
- EQ bands LOW and HIGH now can be switched to crossover filter types (butterworth, bessel, linkwitz-riley up to 24dB/oct).

Not to reignite an earlier debate, but am I right in understanding that this is intended to allow you to do some basic 2- or 3-way crossover processing onboard the X32 (i.e., one less piece of gear to haul around)? I don't get my X32 until next week, so I can't try it out.

Re: Crossover processing onboard

Not to reignite an earlier debate, but am I right in understanding that this is intended to allow you to do some basic 2- or 3-way crossover processing onboard the
X32 (i.e., one less piece of gear to haul around)? I don't get my X32 until next week, so I can't try it out.

I found it interesting the changes were made only to the Matrix Buses, and were not extended to the Mono and LR Buses.

An easy way of running a top/sub configuration is using the Mono and LR Buses.

As an aside, to use the X32 for simple system processing, finer control over the output delay is still needed.

Still, the changes are useful and appreciated.

Eric H.

I can't remeber if I have actually checked this properly on the console, but back then it was said that the mono was either the independent sends and independent of the Main LR fader, or when dependant, a sum of the LR signals.

Doesn't that depend if the board is in "LR+Mono" or "LCR enable?"

I know in "LR+Mono," the mono bus is an independent audio signal. It's fed from the individual selections on the Channel or Bus. (On the Main tab.)

There is the other setting: "M/C Depends on Main L/R." That just controls if the M/C bus tracks with the L/R bus, or not. (The fader doesn't move with the L/R bus. I think it works more like a DCA. If the M/C fader is left at 0 dB, it will track with L/R just fine.)

Eric H.

Last edited:

Not to reignite an earlier debate, but am I right in understanding that this is intended to allow you to do some basic 2- or 3-way crossover processing onboard the X32 (i.e., one less piece of gear to haul around)? I don't get my X32 until next week, so I can't try it out.

As was discussed earlier, doing a crossover other than main-sub is very risky business, and in a three way set up, the mids will have very little eq leftover for any correction. To do three way crossover, you'll need some dsp or filtering in the amps to be safe, so you could do it all there anyway.
However, in a sub-top setting, where the tops are left basically unprocessed or are being processed later in the chain, it makes all the sense in the world to have the processing in the mixer if that can save outboard gear, hassle and/or money.
Looking at the dbx drpa correction for jbl speakers, this can be easily emulated in the X32, some other speaker manufacturers specify a lot more correction that would be hard to emulate.

I find the addition of butterworth (BW) particularly usefull, linkwiz-riley (LR) less so as that is available cascading two low-cut filters. To do a BW you would need to correct with a third band, so there is a saving there now that frees up available correction.
The phase invert is of course invaluable when testing sub set-ups, and there is a real saving when you are able to do a sub array without an expensive outboard processor or rack of delays and filters.

Doesn't that depend if the board is in "LR+Mono" or "LCR enable?"

I know in "LR+Mono," the mono bus is an independent audio signal. It's fed from the individual selections on the Channel or Bus. (On the Main tab.)

There is the other setting: "M/C Depends on Main L/R." That just controls if the M/C bus tracks with the L/R bus, or not. (The fader doesn't move with the L/R bus. I think it works more like a DCA. If the M/C fader is left at 0 dB, it will track with L/R just fine.)

Eric H.

Yeah, I really need to spend time with the actual board in a setting that I have time to experiment and figure things out. At the present time, my board is either in storage or being set up for a show where load in is half an hour before soundcheck and I have to go with my preprogrammed set-up on a usb stick :cry:, or I'm setting up a show single handed where I have to do the stage, the lights and everything else and never get around to the experiments and the rechecking and verification of earlier assumptions :x~:-x~:mad:

On a wild tangent, I am seriously contemplating buying a second board, ripping it open and disconnecting all the controls to see if it possible to repack it in a rack-cabinet. Would be good to have available as something easy to carry home and place on my desk as well as using for small gigs with a remote, (and the parts would sure come in handy at some stage) Yes, it would void the warranty, I know ;)~;-)~:wink:

Re: Post fader metering

X32 Expansion Cards

Dear all,

we are in the process of developing further Expansion Cards for the X32.

Aside from a USB recording card that directly connects with an external HD, we are also considering to offer a Dante networking card.

Can you please share with us what you would be interested in.

Many thanks!

Warm regards (@ 32 degree Celsius in Manila)

Uli

Hi Uli & Developers

Can I suggest a "Cascade" expansion card would be popular. To link two X32's, allowing 64 input FOH. Is this do-able ??

Tom

Last edited:
Re: Firmware v1.10 Release Notes

Anyone else here feeling more then a bit uneasy about the truss deployment shown in that photo? Hopefully it's just one hell of an optical illusion, but it looks at though there is some considerable deflection on that cross section over the audience... that upstage / stage right support also looks a bit questionable, but again, could just be the photo. Any more detailed photos of this setup available?

I appreciate the excitement of being able to use the X32 console in a new and creative setup... but with a photo like this, the console is the last thing that I noticed. Hopefully I'm incorrect and just being over-sensitive to the public safety aspect of what we do.

The truss does look a little.... Lacking. And from the photo, a little saggy.

I'm hoping it is steel truss.

The phase invert is of course invaluable when testing sub set-ups, and there is a real saving when you are able to do a sub array without an expensive outboard processor or rack of delays and filters.

The X32 is really hitting above its weight with the addition of this feature. Now to get a bit of gear and do a cardioid sub array straight out of the mixer.

I don't think we should worry too much about the truss in that image - from the safety aspect because it's fairly lightly loaded and aluminium truss, it's just too wide a span, with too lightweight truss - and the spigots allow the sag. It's unlikely to be dangerous, but it's a poor example of how to do it!

Mac + Thunderbold to Firewire to X32

X32 an Mac owners,

Has somebody tested already following configuration.
A Thunderbold equipped Macbook Pro or Mini, Thunderbold to Firewire adapter connected to a X32.

Any reports if this works ?

The X32 is really hitting above its weight with the addition of this feature. Now to get a bit of gear and do a cardioid sub array straight out of the mixer.

Sometimes you don't need that much gear either.

Double endfire, 1.36m 4 ms delayed fronts, 3m spacing axis to axis
Double cardio 1.36m 4ms delayed and phase inverted rears -3dB, 3 m spacing

In the example above, you could actually do something pretty cool with a couple of presets, maybe even put into a scene change to really impress. You run the endfire arrangement first, placing the singer in the slightly "hot" area in the middle 3 meters behind the subs, and when the singer complains, you switch to the cardio set-up, and voila, no thump for the singer and clearer sound from the PA :D~:-D~:grin:

Re: Mac + Thunderbold to Firewire to X32

I have used the thunderbolt adapter on about 6 recordings without any issues at all. I am using Logic with a 15" MB Pro that I bought about 2 months ago. Works great!

Re: S16's ( dummies guide!)

Problem using two S16
I have hooked up two S16 to my X32 but don’t get I t to work. Channel 1-16 (the first s16) works and the signal is going to the X32, channel 17-32 is not working, as it should. I can select Phantom Power on all the channels, but I get no signal to the X32s input channels.
Does anyone know how the S16 should be set up to work together (daisy chain) or am I missing something obvious?

I don't think we should worry too much about the truss in that image - from the safety aspect because it's fairly lightly loaded and aluminium truss, it's just too wide a span, with too lightweight truss - and the spigots allow the sag. It's unlikely to be dangerous, but it's a poor example of how to do it!

The "I don't think we should worry too much, it's unlikely to be dangerous" attitude is EXACTLY what leads to dangerous situations and injured or dead concert-goers.

When you put things up over people's heads, there simply isn't ANY room for fudging it or getting away with cutting corners or costs. Whomever was paid to build this should have stopped when it became obvious that "it's just too wide a span, with too lightweight truss" ... Continuing on because its "unlikely" to be dangerous is unacceptable.

Like I said, I hope it's just a weird illusion from the photo, but I really doubt it.