X32 Discussion

Re: X32 Discussion

Like I said, I hope it's just a weird illusion from the photo, but I really doubt it.

I do worry a little at some of the truss setups I see, usually on American rigs, where the truss just looks far too lightweight for what it is flying. Especially on outdoor events.

Reading the Sugarland report just added to that concern. The rig might be OK for what it is flying, but it only takes a tiny problem to send it all down at 9.8m/s/s.

To swing things back on topic, a photo of myself and the X32 in the office on Saturday evening (if posting from the iPad works).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 0
X32 sounds harsh?

Behringer X32 road test | Audio Times

I've seen it being mentioned a few times that the x32 sounds thin and harsh.

I believe that my ears are quite good still and I can proudly say that I still can hear freqs above 17kHz despite my age.

Why can't I hear this 'thin and harsh' thing myself? Have my ears become degraded or is there something else to it like some different approach to things?

Do you x32 owners agree with that statement about its sound quality but comply due to its price point?

Re: X32 sounds harsh?

I believe that my ears are quite good still and I can proudly say that I still can hear freqs above 17kHz despite my age.

Why can't I hear this 'thin and harsh' thing myself? Have my ears become degraded or is there something else to it like some different approach to things?

Do you x32 owners agree with that statement about its sound quality but comply due to its price point?

Thin and harsh? Nonsense. If anything, it seems to have a warmer sound than the analog desk it replaced (ML5000).

Frankly, i think all this debate about how a console "sounds" is silly anyway. at this point all the digital desks can be made to sound quite good. Are there subtle differences? Sure. Are you gonna hear them if you have a really nice PA and a lot of experience listening for such things? Maybe. Is it gonna matter? No.

I dont particularly think the X32 sounds great.......its fine. but as soon as I read that "I reckon the bare minimum pro standard is being able to faithfully produce a full band mix at an average of 101dB A weighting." in reference to a MIXER makes me not take anything I read on that website as fact...... to put it nicely.

Re: Vertical pairing

My biggest grumble with the mono by the way is that it is not available as send on fader, you have to go into each channel and twirl the rotary like mad to get it up to zero.

I hadn't thought about that, and that is a good reason to have your aux fed sub on a mix buss. Thanks for pointing that out.

I've yet to use mine live, as I'm on a job with an M7, but I swapped out the Soundcraft analogue in my studio before I left, and can't say I even noticed a difference in the audio quality. I've become very familiar with how all my mics and synths sound, and after setting the gains, I finished the projects I was working on with no noticeable change at all. Swapping the Soundcraft for a different brand of analogue mixer when I'd hired the Soundcraft out meant lots of eq work to make the desk sound the same - and I didn't have to do it on the X32. My experience of taking mixers from the studio to the live environment is that subtle differences are very difficult to hear live - so I have no qualms whatsoever about the sound quality.

Re: truss?

Please - let's not go overboard on this truss thing. We're not talking about quad T35 or above, we're talking 300mm lightweight truss with a long unsupported span of two sections. The tolerance in the coupling components will allow droop of this level, and the lightweight fixtures are evenly distributed and the spec for truss allows a surprising evenly distributed weight in the spec even with very long spans. I'd just photoshop it straight and forget it. Nobody knows from the picture, so I simply don't subscribe to the 'must be dodgy' brigade. The responsible people on site make that call, not us, from a distance, after the event.

Re: X32 Discussion

I did a show last night with my X32, and while it was not my first time out with the board, it was the first time I mixed the entire show using my tablet with the XControl. It was also the first time I attempted to record a show on the console's USB. I'm happy to say that everything went great. The XControl worked fine all night, and allowed me full control of all elements of the mix. Really happy with the way it performed. There was only one glitch all night, and that was when I lost the wireless connection to my router. After quickly reconnecting, I was back in action with no adverse effects. The band was impressed with the wireless control, and I even had a few venue staff and patrons ask me about it.

For recording, I used a SanDisk Cruzer Fit USB drive, 8 gig. This is one of those very low profile drives that barely sticks out above the board when plugged in. This is because I would be likely to break off a standard taller drive, lol. I was a bit concerned about the recording process based on some posts reporting problems, but I recorded the entire show with no issues. I didn't want to take a chance on hitting the 2 gig limit, so I just recorded each set separately. I did check the USB view screen a couple times to make sure it was still recording, but after that I didn't worry about it all. Listening back to the recording, it sounded really good and I think I'm going to be recording all my shows from this point forward. One thing I noticed is that when I added enough vocal reverb to sound good in the house, on the recording it sounded just a tad too 'wet', so I'll keep that in mind going forward.

So, all in all, it was a very successful night with the X32!

S16 input levels

A while back in the thread, there was discussion about the S16 being able to take unbalanced/line-level inputs without them having to go through a DI unit first. I was hoping to be able to do this with the 6.5mm L/R outputs from an electronic drum kit, and possibly also a bass guitar.

Can anyone confirm this is possible, or if it would be a bad idea anyway?

Please - let's not go overboard on this truss thing. We're not talking about quad T35 or above, we're talking 300mm lightweight truss with a long unsupported span of two sections. The tolerance in the coupling components will allow droop of this level, and the lightweight fixtures are evenly distributed and the spec for truss allows a surprising evenly distributed weight in the spec even with very long spans. I'd just photoshop it straight and forget it. Nobody knows from the picture, so I simply don't subscribe to the 'must be dodgy' brigade. The responsible people on site make that call, not us, from a distance, after the event.

Yeah, your right... It's probably not as important as seeing a few hundred more identical questions about how to patch the inputs on this console.

There aren't many consoles I'd ever refuse to mix on... But I've seen plenty of jacked up rigging jobs that I'd refuse to stand under, and even the light weight truss hurts like a bitch when it comes down on you. Get that audience jumping up and down together, it can only take a tiny bit of floor bounce to turn a "probably ok" setup like that, into a disaster.

The same thing is said about SRX horns.... [bulshsvit/]

Last edited:
Re: Firmware v1.10 Release Notes

Hi Christian:

I have a X32 and have downloaded and installed the new Update V1.10. I have Wave's Multirack running on a PC and have tried to connect the PC to the X32 via firewire with the new mike pre page update with mixed results. I can not get the X32 firewire settings to work correctly with the PC's firewire. I have tried numerous firewire settings in the X32 control settings but only get the two systems to run properly for a few minutes before I get the "Cylon" effect. Has anyone really used the firewire connection to another computer with success and if so what would you suggest for the three settings in the X32 control panel. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Best,
Hoyt Yeatman

Actually this is the way to use the card returns as digital inserts! So you can send your console inputs to a Daw, put some plugins ins on them and route them back into the x32. If you need to do changes in the mic pre gain, you can do that on this new dedicated page. I'm really excited about this new feature, now I can use my favourite plugins in live enviroment
:)

I am starting to think that the "harsh and thin" comments are more due to the users/writers being pleasantly surprised by the desk, but needing something to bitch about so that they don't come off too 'pro-Behringer" to those who will never see the brand as anything but cheap junk.

I hear a lot more top-end than I probably should for my age, and I don't find the X32 harsh and thin at all. And while I haven't done an A/B test, the X32 seems a little nicer sounding that the LS9 I usually compare it to.

It is easy to point the blame at the mixer, less so to actually test everything between sound-source and your ears (including the sound-source and your ears themselves) and KNOW it is the mixer. I am yet to see a full A/B test of the X32 (or any mixer for that matter) with another competing model, in a fully controlled and tested environment. Any change can make a big difference to the final result.

I am yet to see a full A/B test of the X32 (or any mixer for that matter) with another competing model, in a fully controlled and tested environment. Any change can make a big difference to the final result.

Have you seen this?
RESULTS: Digital Mixer Shootout and VUE Audiotechnik Demo

It compares the LS9, X32 and SL 24.4.2 in an blind test over the same setup. It has an admittedly small sample, but if you run the statistical analysis you'll see that the X32 won with a very high confidence rating.

Lest I start another war, I want to quote James Griffin, the guy who posted the thread: "We all agreed in our discussions afterward that the audible differences were very small. A competent FOH guy would have no difficulty doing a great show on any of them."

Last edited: