X32 Discussion

re: X32 Discussion

Lets put an ear to ground and listen for reports of how many people who placed early orders get delivery. There are definitely units dribbling out there (in the US.) While these early units appear to be placed for effect ( more hands-on tests and the like). I am aware of a couple units near me, and I live in nowhere MS.

This product has been very widely promoted so initial dealer orders could be sold out already, and now the dealers need to wait for restocking orders. Dealers could just be acting prudently to not over promise by selling product they do not have in hand or firm delivery dates for. The supply chain coming from China is not exactly overnight lead time.

If there are new delivery problems we'll find out soon enough, but it just may be a consequence of the product's initial sales success. Surely they'll tell us. They have been pretty forthcoming so far. Major new product roll-outs often experience hiccups, and this looks like a pretty major development effort involving lots of moving parts.

Patience, there is little reason to invest this much effort in promotion if they aren't going to deliver eventually.

JR

Hi guys,
I'm back home for three days. Got to mix a show tomorrow with my X-32. On Monday I will spend a week in the Netherlands. Concerning the X-32 delay. I don't have a clue what's going on, but at least I have an idea:)
I think it is not a big secret anymore, that this weekend (if everything goes well), the Public Beta version of the pc remote software (X-Control) will be available on Behringer.com !
By now you can download the latest X32 firmware (V1.03). BUT for the new X-Control version, the X-32 needs a firmware update to Version V1.04. So, I think Behringer want's to make sure, that as many as possible X-32 desks have the right firmware on board, when they hit the street! It would be confusing for the user, if they fire up the board for the first time and it won't work with the X-Control!

Well, I'm just guessing here but the new public beta X-Control is real. I just run it on my old IBM X41 tablet. Here is a picture:

You can see, it is the newest version, because it states the Channel names right to the channel faders. Works fine here.
I know, waiting is no fun, but the X32 is worth the wait. Really.

Christian

They continue to mislead us on the actual availability of the console. If you visit the Behringer web site, you will see that it clearly states "In Stores Now". It gives links to Musicians Friend and Sweetwater. If you click on either link, you will see that it is clearly not available as of yet. I have been trying to hold their feet to the fire since the 4th quarter of last year when it was originally promised. I think they must mean that they have a few X32's that are on the "tour" so technically they might be "in stores now", but are not available to purchase. I am excited about this desk and have had my pre-order in for quite some time. I have a couple of DDX3216's that are reaching the end of life and have been waiting for the X32 since it was promised last year. I must say that Behringer could do the right thing and just be honest, I don't see what they would have to lose as this thing should sell like hot cakes regardless. Just be honest with the public, it isn't too much to ask is it?

I'd imagine that the delay is caused by "feature creep" and a multitude of bug fixes that were fleshed out by the beta testers. Would you want a half-assed, bug-ridden console or one that works as advertised?

I think it was initially assumed that the X32 was shipping for existing pre-orders and the dates being shown by retailers were availability if you ordered then due to existing backorders. However, right now most of the large online retailers seem to still be showing any X32 orders as pre-orders, not unavailable or backordered but specifically as not yet available or pre-order, with 8/9 to 9/20 expected availability. Thus it at least appears that the availability has been further delayed. Since the X32 was 'guaranteed' to be in stores by 7/27, has anyone seen one in a GC or elsewhere?

I would guess that stock will be limited at first that only pre-orders will be filled. Guessing that some retailers will only receive one desk as a store 'demo' unit, so customers can see it and then order one for future delivery. This is shaping up to be a very interesting product launch. I think Behringer really took their time to perfect this product before shipping, as they really do want this to be a 'game changer' for them in terms of their reputation for quality products going forward. I have noticed, based on different pictures of the board, that they have made some subtle changes in the physical layout of the board, so I guess they took their time to make sure it was perfect before shipping. This at the expense of continually pushing back the delivery dates. I have one on order too, so I guess I'd rather have the best possible board wth a delay in getting it, as opposed to a board that was rushed to market before they were sure it was ready.

Only Behringer knows how many orders they have received, vs. how many they are shipping. One can only speculate at this time......

I'd imagine that the delay is caused by "feature creep" and a multitude of bug fixes that were fleshed out by the beta testers. Would you want a half-assed, bug-ridden console or one that works as advertised?

I can tell for sure, that this is definitly NOT the case. And yes, you can nail me down on this.8)~:cool:~:cool:
Of course in a new firmware there a normally bug fixes too, but all the bug fixes that came after version 1.0 were just minor things - no show stopper or even crash happy code fixes.
Software-wise the X32 is really solid. The shipping delay is caused by something else...
Christian

Christian, is it just that it happens to fit the resolution on your old laptop, or is the x-control now scalable to full screen? (The previous version was fixed, wasn't it?)
Have you thought of helping your band draw a HUGE crowd? Just advertise where and when the next gig is going to be and make sure there is ample space where you set up FOH :razz:

I of course want a console that works as advertised, I would just request that Behringer be honest with it's customers. I also took them to task earlier this year when they left a video up from NAMM 2011 that informed customers that the console would record 32 tracks straight to a hard drive connected to the USB port, even though the spec's had clearly been changed. I don't mind paying the extra $300.00 for the Midas Pre's and the 32 in/out interface, I just thought they should have pulled the video down that was touting a now non existing feature. The ONLY thing I am complain about is the fact that they seem to be making statements that don't have a basis in fact. It is upsetting when you can't count on a promised delivery date and they tout "in stores now" and link to 2 stores that clearly don't have them.

christian,
Can you tell us what the xcontrol can NOT do? Are there controls no accessable from an iPad? For me I wonder about mute groups and vca control.
Also, will any version iPad work or do I need a 2 or 3?

Last edited:

This may have been mentioned - but there is a 'live' discussion with Mr Behringer and some of his techies re the X32 on the Soundonsound forum tomorrow at 3pm Britsh Summer Time

Last edited:

christian,
Can you tell us what the xcontrol can NOT do? Are there controls no accessable from an iPad? For me I wonder about mute groups and vca control.
Also, will any version iPad work or do I need a 2 or 3?

Hi John,
I don't have an iPad, so I can't comment on the X32 iPad App:-(
The X-Control PC software is very similar to the physical desk, there are only a few features gay out (FX, recorder f.e.). But all the basic stuff (EQ, dyn, scenes, mute groups, faders, layer and so on) are working.
Christian

Christian, is it just that it happens to fit the resolution on your old laptop, or is the x-control now scalable to full screen? (The previous version was fixed, wasn't it?)
Have you thought of helping your band draw a HUGE crowd? Just advertise where and when the next gig is going to be and make sure there is ample space where you set up FOH :razz:

It is not full screen. My X41 has a 12,1" Display, a smaller screen/resolution won't work without scrolling. This version is fixed too.

Last weekend I did FoH for a three day festival in my hometown...the coHeadliner on saturday didn't came with a own soundguy, so I had to do it. Was fun, but I had to mix with an analog desk:)

Street Dogs - Fighter + Guns of Brixton / Live @ Eier mit Speck Viersen 28.07.2012 (720p HD) - YouTube

Today I'm here-->

https://www.facebook.com/events/262000453912529/

We will headlining and I bring the X32, S-16, P16M and P-16D.
Christian

Today I'm here-->

https://www.facebook.com/events/262000453912529/

We will headlining and I bring the X32, S-16, P16M and P-16D.
Christian

Too far for me, I'm afraid, but I guess quite possible for some of the dutch and germans on the forum :)~:)~:smile:

Wouldn't it be fun to suddenly have fifty soundguys swarming your FOH asking all kinds of silly questions while you were trying to do your job? :twisted:

Too far for me, I'm afraid, but I guess quite possible for some of the dutch and germans on the forum :)~:)~:smile:

Wouldn't it be fun to suddenly have fifty soundguys swarming your FOH asking all kinds of silly questions while you were trying to do your job? :twisted:

As a SAC user, I'm used to that:)
Todays gig went very well. The S-16 has a new design. It now shares the coulor of the X32 and it is not just plain black anymore. I like it:)

Christian

I had to search for it through iTunes itself. I just typed in Xicontrol in the search bar and it found it.

I don't have an ipad so I haven't been able to play with it.

Hmmm.... Doesn't work here no matter what I do. Just got an iPad and am Jonesing to check it out. Will it run at all without the X32?