X32 Discussion

X32, S16 Issue

I been running my X32 with two S16s without issues since last November. Saturday,while setting up for a gig, I first upgraded my X32 to firmware 1.15. When I tested the system I was getting no signal on outputs 1-8 of the first S16. Thinking it was a problem with the firmware, I downgraded to 1.13. Still no output, but now the pan wasn't working on local input 32, which I usually use to test the system. Reloaded 1.15 and still had both issues, no signal on 1-8 of the first S16, and no pan. Loaded another scene and the pan was working. Reloaded the original scene and the pan was still working. Still no output on 1-8 of the first S16. Then I configured the S16 as outs 9-16, rerouted my analog outs and got signal. Reconfigured back to 1-8, and the everything worked perfectly for the entire evening. So, I'm not sure what happened. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Re: How to setup for multitrack live recording?

Good day to all
Well i've tried to record the show a couple of time with different software, but i've had a problems.
Basically i can say it is a drop out, but in different mode, with some software the recording start normally but sometimes the tracks it's like stay in mute mode fore a couple of seconds and then return to record normally.
The result is a cut of the audio of all tracks for 10 - 20 sec time to time.
So iv'e tried Sonar x2 (trial mode but fully functionally for 30 day), with this software sometimes the record it stop with a message error and the sound engine it's cut off.
Please help me with some hint to fix these problem.
I use a laptop with w7,HP Pavillion g6 cpu AMD A6-342M, dual graphic RADEON, 6 GB ram, record via USB
Thanks and sorry for may eng

Bruno

20130727_130438.jpg As you can see my cat appreciates X32 case!!:lol:

Good day to all
Well i've tried to record the show a couple of time with different software, but i've had a problems.
Basically i can say it is a drop out, but in different mode, with some software the recording start normally but sometimes the tracks it's like stay in mute mode fore a couple of seconds and then return to record normally.
The result is a cut of the audio of all tracks for 10 - 20 sec time to time.
So iv'e tried Sonar x2 (trial mode but fully functionally for 30 day), with this software sometimes the record it stop with a message error and the sound engine it's cut off.
Please help me with some hint to fix these problem.
I use a laptop with w7,HP Pavillion g6 cpu AMD A6-342M, dual graphic RADEON, 6 GB ram, record via USB
Thanks and sorry for may eng

Bruno

View attachment 7648 As you can see my cat appreciates X32 case!!:lol:

Have you tried Reaper - works fine - only problem I sometimes have is getting it to initially recognise the XUF drivers at load time - but always eventually does - recorded 5 hour sessions with the occasional save with no problems - good luck

Have you tried Reaper - works fine - only problem I sometimes have is getting it to initially recognise the XUF drivers at load time - but always eventually does - recorded 5 hour sessions with the occasional save with no problems - good luck
Ok i will try this, though i think there is a problem on latency or other stuff like this:?~:-?~:???:

Stagemix vs XMix.

Got a middle of the night last minute call and mixed a show on an LS9 with Stagemix last night. The Yami layout is pretty familiar to me, got the board up and running and during the first set ventured into ther actual coverage pattern of the system with the iPad. I was anticipating the fact that I had no DCA's to work with and was worried about page flipping, metering, etc.
A few observations and a few wishes for XMix.
1. It may be my iPad 1 to blame, but XMix has a pretty long lag time when changing pages and views. Stagemix was very fast and I could jump around easily as fast as I needed to.
2. I really liked that I could change the "mini view" window on each channel to see eq,pan and dynamics WITHOUT losing the faders! And then I could tap that window and those functions would come up. I liked the sliders on the dynamics control, much easier to adjust than the rotary emulations on XMix...IMO.
3. The 'utility' button took me right to my tap delay. A user definable button...or buttons, in XMix that could take me to a specific function page would be very helpful.
4. The eq graphic view was super responsive and fast. My XMix eq graphic always seem 'sticky' and tentative.
5. The BEST thing was that wherever I was in the app when I exited that page it went back to where I came from!! Meaning after adjusting a channel comp the app went right back to the channel fader where I started, I didn't have to change views and then hit the 'home' icon to get my faders back.
There may have been more but overall I felt much more able to 'mix' on the Stagemix app, if i had DCA's i would have been flying! I like being able to chose where I am going to on the fader page without losing the faders until I make the move. Less thought and anticipation and again always able to get right back to where I was.
The speed issues again may be my iPad. Indented in others experience with iPad 1,2,3 etc.
Overall I would like to be able to customize XMix so that I can choose which of the huge number of functions I can have ready for instant access. I think direct access to eq and dynamics in particular, all from the fader view and then right back is a huge time saver and again an aid to real dynamic mixing of a live, fast moving show.
The architecture of the actual LS9 surface is a whole other story and for he first time ever I was happier mixing on the iPad app instead of the surface.
Interested about other's observations and opinions on XMix protocols and operating setup.

Re: Updating Firmware

- So here is a question that I have asked around with no answer ...............

Not now but in the future the X32 will eventually need a new battery!

What is that battery that will be needed?

Sent from my X32 console using hellonwheels.

it might not have a battery at all. It could save everything to non volatile memory.

kev

it might not have a battery at all. It could save everything to non volatile memory.

kev

Doubt it, as it has an on board clock there must be some kind of power for that but then it is probably only for that.
Internally the x32 must be using Non-Volatile memory as there is no reason not to with todays flash prices.

Hello

That must be the reason why on Behringer website update instructions tell you to use formatted usb-stick to load the update. I was wondering about that but just did it that way. Now I know why.

Wouldn't that just be so that it's the cleanest install possible?

OTOH, I use a 64 gig stick that has all kinds of crap on it (break music, files that I move from one computer to another, recorded music from shows, photo files, show and scene files, etc. etc. etc.), and the X32 is able to find the firmware and update the console no problem. Forward and backward.:roll:

Re: Stagemix vs XMix.

Interested about other's observations and opinions on XMix protocols and operating setup.
There are imo three big disadvantages with the stagemix app.
1. only one device (ipad or PC/Mac) can be connected. So you have to turn one off to connect with another. This brings me to the second one
2. Reconects to the LS9 can take really long time and sometimes it do not work. Switching off the mixer helps but is no option during a show;-)
3. the reaction of the surface of the console itself slows down when the App ic sonnected. For instance I had several problems to adjust the gain because at first no changes can be seen and heard when adjusting the gain but when you remove your fingers from the desk you can see that the gain level is changed. Not so fine because it easily cause feedback.

maybe some updates in te past month fixed some of these problems because my experiences are from last year.

Re: Stagemix vs XMix.

Got a middle of the night last minute call and mixed a show on an LS9 with Stagemix last night. The Yami layout is pretty familiar to me, got the board up and running and during the first set ventured into ther actual coverage pattern of the system with the iPad. I was anticipating the fact that I had no DCA's to work with and was worried about page flipping, metering, etc.
A few observations and a few wishes for XMix.
1. It may be my iPad 1 to blame, but XMix has a pretty long lag time when changing pages and views. Stagemix was very fast and I could jump around easily as fast as I needed to.
2. I really liked that I could change the "mini view" window on each channel to see eq,pan and dynamics WITHOUT losing the faders! And then I could tap that window and those functions would come up. I liked the sliders on the dynamics control, much easier to adjust than the rotary emulations on XMix...IMO.
3. The 'utility' button took me right to my tap delay. A user definable button...or buttons, in XMix that could take me to a specific function page would be very helpful.
4. The eq graphic view was super responsive and fast. My XMix eq graphic always seem 'sticky' and tentative.
5. The BEST thing was that wherever I was in the app when I exited that page it went back to where I came from!! Meaning after adjusting a channel comp the app went right back to the channel fader where I started, I didn't have to change views and then hit the 'home' icon to get my faders back.
There may have been more but overall I felt much more able to 'mix' on the Stagemix app, if i had DCA's i would have been flying! I like being able to chose where I am going to on the fader page without losing the faders until I make the move. Less thought and anticipation and again always able to get right back to where I was.
The speed issues again may be my iPad. Indented in others experience with iPad 1,2,3 etc.
Overall I would like to be able to customize XMix so that I can choose which of the huge number of functions I can have ready for instant access. I think direct access to eq and dynamics in particular, all from the fader view and then right back is a huge time saver and again an aid to real dynamic mixing of a live, fast moving show.
The architecture of the actual LS9 surface is a whole other story and for he first time ever I was happier mixing on the iPad app instead of the surface.

Thanks John. Those are great observations.

In preparation for my new mixer, I got myself an iPad Mini (I have been assimilated!).
I have downloaded and played around with 3 applications in demo mode. Here is what I think.
DL1608:

• Full scroll on faders which tracks with your finger as you pan
  • When you enter the details of a track, the master volume fader is still present (nice touch)
  • Scrolling up/down in details gets you to different channel efx (reverb, eq, gate, compressor)
  • Scrolling left to right in details gets you a different channel with the same efx you were on
  • efx all have presets for a starting setup for different types of channels (female vocal, kick, etc)
  • Solo and Mute on each fader on mixer view
  • Scene recall - 3 presses needed to change to a different scene. The last one is a small popup. The text for the scene is small and limited in length.
  • Readability - very good
  • (No full meter bridge. 8 visible channels plus main out)
  • (All my other beefs have to do with lack of features in the mixer vs the iPad app)
StudioLive

• 12 faders at a time. Scroll is by groups of 12 only (no tracking pan)
  • Mute but no solo on each channel (weird)
  • (No full meter bridge (except for the 12 channel 1602 which only has 12 channels and fits)
  • Each channel shows a small graphical overview of eq, compressor, gate, and buss assignments (nice)
  • Selecting one of the small graphics for a channel opens up the details for that graphic (nice)
  • Swiping the detail moves to the next channel for the same effect (nice)
  • The details don't take up the entire page and the faders for 12 channels are still visible as are the meters for those faders (nice)
  • Readability - Small graphic area is barley legible on a mini. It is very poor in contrast. They must have been going for "a look" vs making this part readable. The individual details also lack contrast in most of the text areas.
  • One really nice feature on this app is that if you tilt the iPad into letter orientation, you get all 3 channel efx listed in detail on screen (nice).
  • (Again, the remainder of my beef is with features that the mixer simply doesn't have vs the iPad app)
X32

• Full meter bridge from main fader view
  • Only 8 faders at a time delectable by the mini groups which also act as the meter bridge
  • Solo and mute on every channel (delectable to mute only)
  • Mute groups available on main fader page (nice)
  • Sends on fader from main page (really nice)
  • Efx - Up to 4 buss mixed efx and 4 inserts. Tons of options, very nice interface.
  • VU meter monitors - several views of full page goodness. you can see the entire signal path and the levels at each point. Amount of compression, gating, etc is also available (very very nice)
  • Scene changes can be performed by select and swipe of any preset scene. Scene names can be long and are easy to read and select.
  • DCA setup. If you select a DCA and go into details, you can hit "edit" and it gives you a full page matrix which you can very quickly and easily select the items you want to control with this DCA. (very nice)
  • Readability - Too many grey on dark grey inactive texts. With very little contrast, it is difficult to read what the inactive tabs and selections are.
  • Details .... See my explanation below (it does have gate, compressor, eq, full sends, naming, dca assn, mute gp assign, etc)
One item that stood out was that not only does the StudioLive iPad app require a separate computer to be used with the mixer, but when it goes out of range, it causes pops on the main speakers (reportedly).
On details......
The details selection is hard to compare apples to apples. The X32 simply has more of everything on every effect as well as having DCA's, matrix mixes, and routing capabilities that simply don't exist on the other two. While the other 2 are easier to use, they are also less capable. Part of the ease of use is that they are less capable, and the other part is that the X32 doesn't flow quite as nicely as the other two apps.
Case in point....
If you want to adjust the channel eq on the X32

1. Select channel to get details
  2. Select eq tab
  3. Make changes
  4. Return "home" to mixer view
To add insult to injury here, if you then select a different channel, the tab doesn't stick and you have to select "eq" again for that channel.
On the StudioLive

1. Select eq
  2. Make changes
There is no real need to return home since the faders and meters remain while you are editing the eq.
My take:
The X32 simply does so much more than the other two mixers that it is difficult to accurately gauge the effectiveness of how each application was implemented. My gut is that the X32 app is less polished in its work flow than the other two; however, it is totally usable IMHO.
The StudioLive and DL1608 applications are buttery smooth to use. It took me no time at all to figure out what was going on and how to use them.

Yeah, and the rtc runs on steam ;)

Some rtc designs uses a special capacitor instead of a battery. Don't know really. I hope that deepthroat can check thatout for us...

Or two probes plugged into a potato :lol:

most of the products I work on that have RTCs use supercaps so there are no batteries , some RTCs only draw in the region of 100nA so can last a long time. On the few products that do use a battery it's rechargeable so it's likely to last longer than the product.

im sure there were pictures of the x32 opened up somewhere , maybe we would spot it in the pictures.

kev

Or two probes plugged into a potato :lol:

most of the products I work on that have RTCs use supercaps so there are no batteries , some RTCs only draw in the region of 100nA so can last a long time. On the few products that do use a battery it's rechargeable so it's likely to last longer than the product.

im sure there were pictures of the x32 opened up somewhere , maybe we would spot it in the pictures.

kev
You say potato and I say......potatis :)

I couldn't spot the rtc in any of the current picts.

I don't like rechargables. They tend to leak after some years. The charger designs usually aren't up to decent standards either...

Some rtc's have a battery built-in that can not be replaced - That is a bad design in my opinion. I like the supercaps.

Re: X32 Discussion

I had an odd thing happen mid show on Saturday night, wonder if anyone could shed some light...

I have the assignable buttons 5-8 set to bring up various FX parameters (tap tempo etc), and 9-12 to bring up graphic EQs, all pretty standard.

However, about halfway through the gig, any time I pressed one it instantly reassigned itself to be the home button for whatever channel happened to be selected at the time. This got very annoying, very quickly :D~:-D~:grin:

I could go back into the settings via the view button and reassign them fine, but then the instant i pressed them again, same thing. Reassigned to the home page of whatever channel was selected, be that an input, mix or even the master fader.

This continued for about 20 minutes, then (as far as I can tell) without me doing anything it all went back to normal.

So, was this a desk glitch, or is there some "quick assign" mode that I don't know about that I inadvertently managed to select/deselect?