X32 Discussion

Re: Questions on operation of the X32

Shane is right concerning, how the hardware is build. Inputs and outputcards are build in blocks of eight.
Theoretical you have these possible inputs:

+ 32 x local inputs (channel 1-32) on xlr
+ 6 x AUX inputs on TRS (yes, you can hook up line level signals here, otherwise use a DI box on channel 1-32)
+ 48 inputs on AES50 Port A (you can hook up up to three S-16 here)
+ another 48 inputs and AES50 Port B
+ 32 Inputs over build in recording

all together over 170 possible input channel (if I counted right:) ). The board itself can't handle all of these simultaneously, so you have to do a kind of pre-selecting in the routing setup menu!
This preselection is done in blocks of eights too! E.G. you could set up the board like this:

1-8: Local inputs 17-24
9-16: card returns from you DAW
17-24: AES 50 Port A (input 1-8, coming from a S-16)
25-32: AES50 Port B (input 9-16, coming from another S-16)

On the console itself, you can route any of this preselected Inputsources to any channel you like. So you could send for example the first return channel from the DAW card return, to any of the 32 desk channels. I'm not a native speaker, so it might sound even more confusing as it actually is.
It becomes instantly clear, when you use the desk.

Christian

Last edited:

In reviewing the full manual, I have a couple of questions

3. On page 10 of the manual is shows Ch01 on the left side. But then to the right it says 01 as well. It says that 01 regardless of what channel your on. What does the 01 (above the home tab) represent?

I believe it represents what show and scene you are on. All the digital consoles I have worked on are like that.

Ok, here's a wild idea !!

Uli, can xicontrol be ported to run on Linux ?

If it can you could run it on a raspberrypi built inside your flight case and just plug a screen / mouse etc into it .

Kev

If it can you could run it on a raspberrypi built inside your flight case and just plug a screen / mouse etc into it .

Kev
Or you could just butcher an old laptop and do the same. If that laptop has WiFi, FiWi and USB, you are all set and you don't even need to install an access point.

On the subject of wild ideas, I wonder if it is a lot of work to make the USB-port compatible with the USB-stick wireless microphone or indeed the USB condensers.

I have a question about the Powerplay P16-I and the Optical In.

Can the optical in on the P16-I be routed via AES50 back to the X32?

I do a heavily tracked show that utilizes an optical in from a RME UFX. It would be nice to be able to feed the X32 at FOH via the optical in from stage via the P16I. It would be even better if I could remove the RME from the setup completely, but I would still need a way to get the 8 tracks to the X32 from stage from a PC.

Thanks,
John

Or you could just butcher an old laptop and do the same. If that laptop has WiFi, FiWi and USB, you are all set and you don't even need to install an access point.

On the subject of wild ideas, I wonder if it is a lot of work to make the USB-port compatible with the USB-stick wireless microphone or indeed the USB condensers.

True but the motherboards are still big and you still need the hard drive etc, a raspberrypi is tiny and uses an sd card instead of a hard drive . Hmm I wounder if it will work using WINE ?

I think I will give it a try tomorrow :)

Kev

re: X32 Discussion

Why are you suggesting running thru' matrix instead of just using two bands in the same eq set to the same slope and frequency? I'm not that updated on digital filter design, but aren't the filters in most applications cascaded anyway?

And now for the total ignorance question unless the previous one falls into that category; what is VEQ? Is it a different Q definition

Seems like you need a little more time with the bus EQ :D~:-D~:grin: , though maybe in a future firmware update, if you request hard enough :)~:)~:smile:

And for the VEQ:
At moment the console is in our wood shop to finish the case, so I cant do any measurements, but I assume VEQ is more musical :)~:)~:smile:

Uwe

Kev

Funny you say that, just the other day I got XControl running on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS on an Acer EeePC via Wine (so it is still an ".exe," not a native Linux app). Ofcourse this was the XControl, not the XIControl you were talking about, but other than that it seams to works fine. I havent tested the network aspect of it yet as I am still waiting for my X32 to arrive. The only problem I have with it on a small netbook is that since I am not able to resize the window yet, the fader section gets cut off on the bottom of the screen.

Screenshot from 2012-08-29 14:58:26.png

Last edited:
re: X32 Discussion

Seems like you need a little more time with the bus EQ :D~:-D~:grin: , though maybe in a future firmware update, if you request hard enough :)~:)~:smile:

And for the VEQ:
At moment the console is in our wood shop to finish the case, so I cant do any measurements, but I assume VEQ is more musical :)~:)~:smile:

Uwe

Well, I haven't actually tried to set two filters to the same frequency or indeed measured the response, still need to clear my desk to get things hooked up.
It looks to me that PEQ and VEQ are very similar except how they respond to the Q setting. VEQ looks wider, Q=2 on PEQ corresponds to Q=4.5 on VEQ. But haven't measured, just looking at the graphics.

Funny you say that, just the other day I got XControl running on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS on an Acer EeePC via Wine (so it is still an ".exe," not a native Linux app). Ofcourse this was the XControl, not the XIControl you were talking about, but other than that it seams to works fine. I havent tested the network aspect of it yet as I am still waiting for my X32 to arrive. The only problem I have with it on a small netbook is that since I am not able to resize the window yet, the fader section gets cut off on the bottom of the screen.

View attachment 4674

Perfect :) Ive given the power supply for my raspberrypi to a friend and Im getting it back tomorrow so I will give it a try. It could make a really cheap and simple way of providing a remote control screen.

Just like you Ive not recieved my X32 yet so I cant test the network side but fingers crossed .

Kev

Hate to put a downer on your Idea, but the Pi isn't x86 and so won't run windows apps in WINE AFAIK :(

From what I gather though, the x32 is using OSC of some kind. If I had one I'd try develop a custom application, even if just for specific features.

Hate to put a downer on your Idea, but the Pi isn't x86 and so won't run windows apps in WINE AFAIK :(

From what I gather though, the x32 is using OSC of some kind. If I had one I'd try develop a custom application, even if just for specific features.

True ! Ah well just a thought , i will try it just in case but you are probably correct :(

I have a question about the Powerplay P16-I and the Optical In.

Can the optical in on the P16-I be routed via AES50 back to the X32?

I do a heavily tracked show that utilizes an optical in from a RME UFX. It would be nice to be able to feed the X32 at FOH via the optical in from stage via the P16I. It would be even better if I could remove the RME from the setup completely, but I would still need a way to get the 8 tracks to the X32 from stage from a PC.

Thanks,
John
As far as I can tell, there is no way to do that with ADAT, because there is nothing with a Ultranet input that has a AES50 output.
However, there are ways to go from a PC to the X32, you can route channels from the PC thru the ASIO driver and connect via USB or FireWire. Don't know if there might be sync issues though, but I would think not since the X32 seems to sync fine to PC output.

Per is right.

There is currently no ADAT to AES Behringer solution. KT do many format conversion devices. A cheaper option is to buy a second x32 instead of buying two s16 stage boxes. This way you can do a short FireWire connection to the stage desk and send aes50 from there to the FOH desk. This way you have a spare desk should something bad happens.

People seem to think just because ultra net and aes50 use the same type of cable that they are similar... they really are not.

As far as I can tell, there is no way to do that with ADAT, because there is nothing with a Ultranet input that has a AES50 output.
However, there are ways to go from a PC to the X32, you can route channels from the PC thru the ASIO driver and connect via USB or FireWire. Don't know if there might be sync issues though, but I would think not since the X32 seems to sync fine to PC output.

I have a few questions for you guys.

Is it possible to recall scenes with the assign buttons?

Is there a numeric display of the bus sends level?

And is it possible to select multiple channels so that the faders move together?