X32 for theatrical work.

Re: X32 for theatrical work.

The new version of Xcontrol (0.7) has introduced another 100 scenes, giving 200 in total :eek:)

So , the question is , how many scenes do you need ?

No point in developing this software if 200 is enough. (may use it for other things thou :roll:)

Kev

The new version of Xcontrol (0.7) has introduced another 100 scenes, giving 200 in total :eek:)

So , the question is , how many scenes do you need ?

No point in developing this software if 200 is enough. (may use it for other things thou :roll:)

Kev

I am getting the feeling this board wont work well for musical theater. Or at least not for a while.

My same reply below as in the original x32 thread to the 200-scene thing.

That’s what it says it does but I downloaded it and ran it and I can’t see a way to make it handle more then 100.

Also have you tried saving a show? It writes a headed file and a file for every scene. So if you have 100 scenes that’s 101 files. There also seems to be a bug when you go to import a scene they aren’t all showing up in the file list even though if you use windows to look at the files it has made they are all there.

I still don’t see a way to insert a scene.

I looked at all the info in the files with a text editor. It looks interesting.

It is quite possible that the X32 have got enough on board memory and other resources to implement a higher number of scenes, multiple shows, scene insert etc. We won't know if nobody tells us.

100 for scenes is likely an arbitrary number not related to a direct programatic limit - most integers are powers of 2 or multiples of 8, and 100 is simple base 10. Now there may be other things at play, but it's probably not just a fundamental programming limitation. Which means hopefully they can provide some greater flexibility in a later firmware!

100 for scenes is likely an arbitrary number not related to a direct programatic limit - most integers are powers of 2 or multiples of 8, and 100 is simple base 10. Now there may be other things at play, but it's probably not just a fundamental programming limitation. Which means hopefully they can provide some greater flexibility in a later firmware!

And it's not like scenes take up much space, the board probably has enough on-board memory for thousands.

How about if they had a "Scene" that when triggered would load another show file? While not ideal, if there were a way to automatically chain show files that might also be another work around if the 100 scene limit is indeed a hard, unavoidable limit.

The things that I think will make the X32 more user friendly for musical theater.

There is so much right with this board that I will try and concentrate on the changes I would like. If you agree and there are enough people that want these things (if it can be done on this platform) maybe they will listen to us.

If anyone wants more of an explanation of any of my requests please ask I will try to explain myself.

Not in any particular order.

User defined keys. Ability to assign them the following functions.

“Recall next scene”.

“Recall previous scene”.

“Store current scene”.

“Set selected channel” to default (nominal)

The “store current scene” UDK that I am requesting could overcome the issue I brought up of how the scene recall works in regard to storing scenes.

Other requests.

Ability to insert a scene. I really think it is an omission that there is no way to insert a scene at the moment. Am I wrong in thinking that?

I would absolutely love the ability to insert decimal point scenes. But I understand if that isn’t possible.

I would like at least 300-scene capability internal to the board. Without having to load it up from another source. I don’t want to have to use an external anything to do what I think the board can do in and of itself. I have used 300 scene capable boards and I can make that work.

I think that a lot of people that do theater have a tendency to leave blank scenes so they can be skipped and this leaves a spot to put a scene in-between without having to renumber everything. This is one of the reasons why people like to have the capability of a lot of scenes. I have found that when you start with the rehearsals with sound you see a bunch of places that would be better to have more scenes and sometimes less scenes. I had one case where I got rid of about 3 scenes that someone thought were needed but then another place (in that same show) where it would have been much better to have 4 more scenes inserted and there wasn’t enough room even with 2 scenes skipped. So to just leave a set gap (skip) in scene numbers doesn’t always work. It helps though.

The following is more of a dream functionality.

One way to do this would be (my suggestion) is to give the console a fixed number of scene memory slots. Lets say that number is 300. Then let me number them how I like. That might be as decimal point scenes that are then able to be recalled in numeric order.

Now if any thing I am asking for is intentionally left out so one would have to buy one of the Midas boards then please just tell me that is why it is the way that it is and it isn’t just that someone hasn’t done it yet to the X32.

I am sure that I have left something out. please feel free to comment and question and add any thing you think I missed.

User defined keys. Ability to assign them the following functions.

“Recall next scene”.

“Recall previous scene”.

“Store current scene”.

is there any way to do that with MIDI pedals? I know you're trying to do it without external hardware, but that would be way simpler and more reliable than a connected computer..

Jason

Has anyone written a bunch of (over 50) scenes yet and is there any problem at all with the recall speed with that many scenes?

I filled the usb with a houndred scenes, and no problem with recall speed. Was a bit slow from the remote though, but that might have been a network issue, and I haven´t investigated it further. Am 3000 miles away from my console now, so won´t be looking at it for a while.

I don't have this console, but from what you are saying, each scene has it's own file, and then there's a header file that tells the console which files are in that show?
Can someone post one of these header files?
You can't insert a scene even using the offline software?

If you can insert a scene I haven’t figured out how to do it yet. I am sure it is just an over sight and they will fix it eventually.

Can you send me a PM with your email address and I will send you some files.

I filled the usb with a houndred scenes, and no problem with recall speed. Was a bit slow from the remote though, but that might have been a network issue, and I haven´t investigated it further. Am 3000 miles away from my console now, so won´t be looking at it for a while.

Thank you that is good to know.

If you can insert a scene I haven’t figured out how to do it yet. I am sure it is just an over sight and they will fix it eventually.

Can you send me a PM with your email address and I will send you some files.
I downloaded the offline editor and made some files. I should have just done that earlier.

Had a look at the files, and inserting scenes could be done by editing the files, but it would be a pain to do manually. If Behringer doesn't add that functionality to their software, I could probably write a simple app to do that. I don't know how useful that would be to not be able to make those changes to the scene layout on the console and "on the fly", though...

If you can insert a scene I haven’t figured out how to do it yet.

I asked them during the webinar earlier today and there isn't a way to insert - or reorder (!) - scenes at this point. They indicated they were aware of the issue 8)~:cool:~:cool: and they were looking into it with the programmers.

Joe also indicated full OSC and MIDI documentation would be coming in two weeks - woot!

I was at a sound store the other day that has an X32 on the floor and we upgraded it to firmware version 1.10. Boy this thing keeps on getting better. At this rate they may fulfill all the things on my wish list so I will be able to use it for musical theater the way I want to.

We also loaded up the XiControl software onto the iPad that the store had bought to demo the Mackie DL1608 mixer that they also sell. I had borrowed an DL1608 to try out for a Christmas tree lighting. So after having used that the night before I got to play around with the XiControl. I am impressed. Now I just need to try an X32 for a show.