X32 for theatrical work.

Re: X32 for theatrical work.

<snip> Yip Ive got to send an individual OSC command for each parameter , so in this example I would have to send 6 single OSC commands rather than one then combine the results after translation into a single line of the scene file .<snip>
Blimey, is that how XControl does the sync? I sort of optimistically expected there was an undocumented query like "/state" or "/dump" or something

Re: X32 for theatrical work.

Blimey, is that how XControl does the sync? I sort of optimistically expected there was an undocumented query like "/state" or "/dump" or something

I wish lol

Heres a screenshot from wireshark for ch 01 when using Xcontrol to download a scene.

wireshark.jpg

And you will see that its done parameter by parameter :(

Kev

X32 for theatrical work. back from the dead

I am reviving a zombie thread that I started last year because a lot has changed.

I posted most of this below in another thread I started last week that seems to have died a premature death. So I am editing this to reflect some new info.

At the moment I have a clients X32 and have been playing with it to learn what I can and can’t do. I am impressed with the changes that they have made to the firmware with the updates. I actually (with the client’s permission) used it at a concert last week.

I have a Behringer BCF2000 and I have been playing with it this week to see how it works with the X32. I can set it to recall next cue, or set it to recall next scene, or set it to recall next snippet. And also recall previous. So it gives me a Go and a Back button. But the spot on the console display window doesn’t display the correct cue/scene when I use this method. Also the X32 does send and receive CC for fader moves in scene/snippet recalls and this gives me more flexibility with the BCF2000. But the faders are snapping to position so loud that I don’t know if I can use it live for musical theater because the room could be quiet when I recall a scene. Is there a way to slow the fader moves down?

I have also discovered that I can turn off the general preference of “Scene GO next” since I am doing the GO and BACK with the BCF2000 and then as I am recalling or should I say dealing with the scenes I can make the changes I want and just hit save. I do have to be in the Scenes View screen and it is 3 different buttons I have to press in the right order. It would be nice if I could assign a SAVE to an assignable control button. And I could then just double tap it no matter what screen is displayed.

More then 100 scenes would make this all work so much better. As I have said before it is the speed with which you can or can’t work that is important for the way I do these musical. In some ways the capabilities of the X32 are great and the cues/scenes/snippets are rather capable but they are definitely not fast to work with. It is faster and more flexible then it used to be.

Also it would be real nice if I could do set a rate for cross fades. This could also cure the fader snap to position problem I am experiencing.

Re: X32 for theatrical work. back from the dead

I posted this first part in the massive X32 thread and then Per responded to part of it. I copied and pasted that part below and then added a BUNCH more after it from me.
---
I have posted some of this before somewhere.

I have found a fantastic solution for controlling scenes for theatrical work with an X32 it is called Palladium and is written by an Australian fellow.

Here is a link to his web site. http://chsounddesign.com/

Palladium uses mixer files that are specific to each model mixer. I made an X32 mixer file and just need to get a hold of an X32 to finish up a minor thing called the fader law calibration (so the fader gain numbers match more closely) and then he said he would make it available on his web site with the others.

Anyone who wants info as to how it works or how to use it let me know, I would be glad to share and help in anyway I can.

When I posted the above to the massive X32 thread in response to someone’s post -
Per Sovik - wrote >>
Looks to me like Palladium is Midi only, not exactly ideal for the X32 because the Midi implementation is limited. There are other softwares that will do OSC.
<<<
----
Me again

I am referring in this write-up to the X32 and the M32 as basically for function sake as the same thing and calling then the X/M32.

Keep in mind with everything that I am writing that I don’t have an X/M32 I was playing with one that I helped to install but had in my possession for a few weeks. I need to get some time and play some more on that one. Or find someone near me that has one and wants to learn a few things along with me.

I guess it depends on what you want to do. For me when doing musical theater I safe everything but the fader moves, so the Midi capabilities (of the X/M32) is just fine for me. (to Per) I am open to looking at what else is out there so if you can you point me to the OSC software that is written for the X/M32 I would appreciate that.

One of the things that I like so much about Palladium is how quick and smooth it is to work with. And if you are in the initial stages of setting up a show (still in rehearsals) if you use Moves and MicPlot (programs from CH) or have someone else set up that part then you just have to import it into Palladium and your show is written. I wanted to see how it all worked together so I got a script (of the next show that I am working on) with stage movements and went about entering it all in Moves. And except of some support singers that are miced that I don’t know the details of yet I got the whole show written.

I asked Chris Hubbard (the guy who wrote Palladium) about changing it so when you import the info from MicPlot into Palladium, instead of it just setting your Mutes/On, if it could set the faders to nominal for a starting point. And he then a little while later sent me a Beta version with the option of faders or Mute/Ons. And I have played with it and it works great.

If you have Learn mode turned on in Palladium it is controlled by the X/M32. I also set it up so there are 2 function keys that act as my Next and Previous buttons on the X/M32. I haven’t played with it yet but you can also set it up to recall a scene or snippet on the X/M32. So if you have a character that needs an EQ change when they put on a hat in a cue you just recall a snippet that is just that EQ setting for that time. Or any other thing you want a snippet to do. I would stay away from having Palladium recall an X/M32 scene on the console I think using the snippets with Palladium makes more sense.

Also Palladium it isn’t technically a snapshot recall program. It works on changes to things. For example if you are mixing and you then recall a cue you don’t loss that mix when you hit the next cue it just adds or subtracts the other mics it doesn’t reset the faders that were already up. If you want to add a fader to a bunch of sequential cues you just bring up the fader and then bring it back down when you want it gone and you are all set for all of the cues in between also.

You also don’t have a save function because the last way you left if before moving to another cue is how it is. So the only caution with that is you shouldn’t do a manual kill of a channel because that is how it will be when you next recall that cue. You need to add another cue for that change.

The instructions for the programs from CH Sound Design are a little bit too detailed and it took me a little bit to get my head wrapped around the way that it works and realize all the capabilities. But he is very open to some minor improvements we have discussed in the program. I was thinking of trying to write a Quick start guide or maybe I should call it the idiots guide to Palladium.

I haven’t been this excited in a program it a long time. That’s why I probably seem like such a fan boy. Finally something that does what I have been wanting.

There isn't a Show Control Program with osc specifically written for the X/M32, but some of the programs support osc.

However, if you are served to your satisfaction with what Midi can offer, then Midi is probably better in terms of much easier implementation and a lot better support from all kinds of softwares. There is good reason why everyone is nagging Behringer for better, more extensive Midi options.
Obviously, since you can use Midi for cue, scene and snippet recall, the software you are using will probably also let you do the things you really need osc for, as long as you actually load the console up with the right cues, scenes and snippets.

Again, if you have found what you want, don't look further 8)~:cool:~:cool:

There isn't a Show Control Program with osc specifically written for the X/M32, but some of the programs support osc.

However, if you are served to your satisfaction with what Midi can offer, then Midi is probably better in terms of much easier implementation and a lot better support from all kinds of softwares. There is good reason why everyone is nagging Behringer for better, more extensive Midi options.
Obviously, since you can use Midi for cue, scene and snippet recall, the software you are using will probably also let you do the things you really need osc for, as long as you actually load the console up with the right cues, scenes and snippets.

Again, if you have found what you want, don't look further 8)~:cool:~:cool:

Thank you for that response. I am just trying to figure out if what I think is great is as usable to others.

I had high hopes when the X32 first came out and now I have found a way to use one for musical theater that works for my workflow.