Yorkville Specs

Marc Benedict

Freshman
Jun 6, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
Just visited the Yorkville website to find the dimensions of a cabinet, and found that most of the Elite and Unity cabs have had their specs updated.
Have these lines been revamped with all new drivers or are Yorkville rating power handling and measuring peak SPL differently? None of the sensitivities seem to have changed...

Examples:
LS1208 - Original spec: 1200w prg / 136dB peak SPL
New spec: 1000w cont,2000w prg,4000w peak / 136dB cont, 139dB peak!

U15 - Original spec: 900w prg / 127 peak SPL
New spec: 1000w prg,2000w peak / 128dB cont, 131dB peak

LS2104 - Original spec: 3000w prg / 132dB peak SPL
New Spec: 2000w cont, 4000 prg, 8000w peak / 135dB cont, 144dB peak!
144dB peak isnt possible with 8000w and 98dB 1Watt/1m sensitivity - [(log8000)*10]+98=137dB

Re: Yorkville Specs

I too saw this a few weeks ago. I contacted Yorkville, as I was curious as well. They said that there were no changes to the drivers, and they just updated the way they post their specs. So, in theory, the old boxes should take more power.

I've put 1500 watts into the LS808 and it hasn't shown any signs of strain. I'll be curious if they do take the full "rated" power though...

Evan

I've always found Yorkville's specs a touch conservative. I've strapped a PLX3402 (1100 WPC) to my pair of U15 for 4 years now without an issue. (Not that 1100 is relatively much more than 900 anywho)

~Phil

Examples:
LS1208 - Original spec: 1200w prg / 136dB peak SPL
New spec: 1000w cont,2000w prg,4000w peak / 136dB cont, 139dB peak!

U15 - Original spec: 900w prg / 127 peak SPL
New spec: 1000w prg,2000w peak / 128dB cont, 131dB peak

LS2104 - Original spec: 3000w prg / 132dB peak SPL
New Spec: 2000w cont, 4000 prg, 8000w peak / 135dB cont, 144dB peak!
144dB peak isnt possible with 8000w and 98dB 1Watt/1m sensitivity - [(log8000)*10]+98=137dB
Can someone explain the peak ratings being just 3dB above the continuous ratings? Are they testing with a signal with a 3dB rather than 6dB crest factor?

Bennett, are you saying that the ratings for the drivers supplied to Yorkville changed or that someone builds the speaker for Yorkville and changed how they tested and rated the box? What is reported for the speakers should represent the boxes rather than the drivers, so if the driver ratings changed that should not have affected the ratings for the box unless the box ratings are calculated rather than based on testing.

Bennett, are you saying that the ratings for the drivers supplied to Yorkville changed or that someone builds the speaker for Yorkville and changed how they tested and rated the box? What is reported for the speakers should represent the boxes rather than the drivers, so if the driver ratings changed that should not have affected the ratings for the box unless the box ratings are calculated rather than based on testing.

What I am saying is, some of B&C's woofers have had their ratings adjusted to account for our more complete understanding of how much power and excursion the driver can take. Other parameters have been updated as well, but this is the one that people tend to notice. I don't think it's any secret that B&C happens to build some custom woofers for Yorkville, and it is conceivable that this is the source of the increase in their stated box output and power handling. I honestly have no idea if that is actually the case, I just know what's happened on our end.

What I am saying is, some of B&C's woofers have had their ratings adjusted to account for our more complete understanding of how much power and excursion the driver can take. Other parameters have been updated as well, but this is the one that people tend to notice. I don't think it's any secret that B&C happens to build some custom woofers for Yorkville, and it is conceivable that this is the source of the increase in their stated box output and power handling. I honestly have no idea if that is actually the case, I just know what's happened on our end.
Thanks, Bennett, and that makes sense from the B&C side. However, changing the driver ratings and not the driver itself would not seem to alter the numbers for the overall boxes unless either a) Yorkville also changed how they measured or reported the box performance, b) the published performance data for the boxes is calculated rather than measured or c) somebody assumed that a change in the driver ratings would create a corresponding change to the boxes' ratings.

I wonder if the new specs are due to the work of the Marketing Dept. rather than the Engineering Dept. at Yorkville?