Behringer iNUKE NU6000 amplifier

Re: Behringer iNUKE NU6000 amplifier

Dear Guys,

While we understand and respect that some of you don't like our products, it would be only fair to consider the facts.

1.) The customer has sent us his amp which he claims was defective. We then checked the amp both on the dealer side as well as in our service center and found no fault. Nevertheless, we exchanged the diodes, tested the amp, and returned it to the customer.

2.) The customer then complained that the amp was still "defective" and returned it to us once more. We hooked it up on our test bench and ran it for more than 20 hours without any problems.

3.) Since the customer lives in Japan where the mains voltage is officially at 100 Volts, over the years we have seen areas in Japan where the voltage drops down to 85 Volts and even lower. Especially with a high-power amplifier, one has to pay extra caution to the power supply as our amp is spec'd to operate at min 85 Volts.

4.) We now believe there is a problem with the mains voltage, but first of all we have invited the customer to witness the functioning of the amp at our service center and we will then try to figure out how we can further help him resolve his issue when running the amp at his premises. We might come to the conclusion that a linear amp might be a better solution, as it is less susceptive to mains power variations.

5.) The NU6000 works perfectly fine and with ten of thousands of units sold worldwide, it is has become the best selling amplifier among many large retailers.

Power Amplifiers 2000 W or More (4 ohm) - Thomann UK

Allow me to also post an independent review of the amp.

Behringer inuke NU6000 vs KAM KXD7200 bench tested - Speakerplans.com Forums - Page 1

6.) Finally, the amp was not designed for bridge-mode operation, nor do we claim it is.

As far as crest, who's left from the real crest that went over to peavey?

Not many still left, but last I heard JD Bennet (amp guy) who left Crest to work at Peavey before they actually bought Crest, was still working at Peavey (may be retired now). I think that many of the junior Crest employees didn't make the move when the NJ facility was closed and service operations moved down to MS. A bunch of the Crest console guys ended up in a new company (APB).

What's your specific point? "Real" Crest as compared to Peavey-Crest? Opinion might vary over which is better at making reliable power amps, while the old more expensive Crest has more sex appeal and was targeting a more expensive customer. There is a reason they were bought by Peavey and not the other way around.

JR

Also wheres the no politic rule? I don't want overstep it either.

Actually I think it is more of a factor on the other live sound forum.

I just want the moderators to have the option to remind me when I get over the line as complaining about the influence on audio equipment manufacturing exercised by the firms that buy, trade and sometimes gut and bankrupt companies for the profit of their investors with no concern whatever for the actual products or services those companies produce and provide.

Actually I think it is more of a factor on the other live sound forum.

I just want the moderators to have the option to remind me when I get over the line as complaining about the influence on audio equipment manufacturing exercised by the firms that buy, trade and sometimes gut and bankrupt companies for the profit of their investors with no concern whatever for the actual products or services those companies produce and provide.

Most forum rules are to prevent intemperate posters from losing their temper and making personal attacks. So far this group appears to have demonstrated adult maturity and not stooped to ad hominum or other counter productive attacks.

I would be interested in hearing about examples of music industry companies being bankrupted for investor profit... I actually experienced a sleazy businessman who bought a consumer audio business to rehabilitate and then drew down it's trade credit and good will to instead buy another different company, but most of the bankruptcies i've seen in the music business were due to incompetence and made investors poor, not wealthy.

JR

I would be interested in hearing about examples of music industry companies being bankrupted for investor profit... I actually experienced a sleazy businessman who bought a consumer audio business to rehabilitate and then drew down it's trade credit and good will to instead buy another different company, but most of the bankruptcies i've seen in the music business were due to incompetence and made investors poor, not wealthy.

JR

You are correct in your assessment of more music business bankruptcies resulting from just plain bad business practices or general incompetence. But I'm still amazed that Guitar Center, which is supposedly "bleeding money" is still expanding their number of stores.

I do think that, as in radio broadcasting and some other fields, the end product does suffer when the people calling the shots financially hare only concerned with quarterly "bottom line" than an actual interest in the quality of the product being sold. Cutting component costs to where reliability suffers while at the same time reducing the commitment to after sales service will take a company into the race to the bottom.

You are correct in your assessment of more music business bankruptcies resulting from just plain bad business practices or general incompetence. But I'm still amazed that Guitar Center, which is supposedly "bleeding money" is still expanding their number of stores.

That's the funny part of publicly traded companies. They can lose money for a LONG time and still manage to stick around. It's like magic.

When smaller companies get bought out by larger corporations, a couple of things happen. First of all, they become more corporate, and often lose the personal touch that got them there. No longer is it that one guy that happened to be really good at designing a product. An actual R&D team is available, which often results in better designs, although if corporate decision making gets involved, some design choices don't end up matching real world needs.

The other thing that tends to happen with larger companies is they look for ways to decrease manufacturing costs. With their larger resources available, versus smaller companies, they often can do this with little change to the design and reliability to a product. Unfortunately, sometimes the accountants look more at cost savings than the result of their actions. Acceptable levels of reliability and quality are set, which may be less than what the product originally had. While it may look and act the same, it could be different. I had a couple experiences of extremes with this. When Mackie decided to move production to China of the SRM 450, the China versions of the speakers were totally different than the Italy versions. Still had the same rated specs, but by moving production, they ended up with crap products. JBL moved production of their SRX line of speakers from the US to Mexico, and the difference in construction, performance and reliability has not been noticeable. My guess is that JBL moved to Mexico to save on labor costs, but didn't make any changes to the manufacturing process or specs in the move. The Mackie move went to China for cheaper labor, and at the same time, they allowed component substitution for even lower production costs. The result was a huge backfire for them. Doesn't mean that China can't create amazing products. It means that if you don't specify correctly, they will do what they can to meet your specs at the lowest absolute cost. The outcome may not be what you're expecting if you're not careful.

Behringer has been buying up smaller sound companies, similar to how LOUD and Harmon have bought up names to expand their portfolio. Arguably you can say that Behrigner's purchases have helped dramatically improve their offerings over the last few years. The Behringer name is still associated with their entry level products, and pricing of the products matches that. They are in a high volume, low margin business. That keeps costs for end users down, but also means less money is set aside for support per unit sold. This is an acceptable trade-off for most that are buying in that price range.

As far as ratings go, power ratings for amplifiers of today versus years ago are vastly different. It used to be that the power rating on an amp is what it could deliver all day and all night long. Pretty easy to compare amps that way. But then someone realized that due to the dynamic nature of music, amps weren't utilizing their capabilities. A smaller power supply could be installed, and the amp could still deliver the rated power for the short durations that music needed the peak power for. This resulted in much cheaper designs without changing the real world performance for most users. Now, the difficulty comes in comparing different amps and designs. Instead of how an amp runs 24X7, you now have to figure out what it can do with the type of music you're feeding it. An amp that needs to reproduce very dynamic music will have peaks that are relatively short. If the power supply is designed for that, it can work just fine, but then you try to use it for a dub step show, and you'll find that the poor thing just can't keep up. Unfortunately, there isn't usually a standardized spec that will tell you this listed on any spec sheets. But there's a reason that some amps cost $400, and some cost $3000, even though on paper they look like darned near the same thing.

As far as ratings go, power ratings for amplifiers of today versus years ago are vastly different. It used to be that the power rating on an amp is what it could deliver all day and all night long. Pretty easy to compare amps that way. But then someone realized that due to the dynamic nature of music, amps weren't utilizing their capabilities. A smaller power supply could be installed, and the amp could still deliver the rated power for the short durations that music needed the peak power for. This resulted in much cheaper designs without changing the real world performance for most users. Now, the difficulty comes in comparing different amps and designs. Instead of how an amp runs 24X7, you now have to figure out what it can do with the type of music you're feeding it. An amp that needs to reproduce very dynamic music will have peaks that are relatively short. If the power supply is designed for that, it can work just fine, but then you try to use it for a dub step show, and you'll find that the poor thing just can't keep up. Unfortunately, there isn't usually a standardized spec that will tell you this listed on any spec sheets. But there's a reason that some amps cost $400, and some cost $3000, even though on paper they look like darned near the same thing.

It's more than being cheap, Brian... it's how much current can you draw from the 20 amp, 120v service. Current limiting wasn't imposed for optimal performance ;)

That's the funny part of publicly traded companies. They can lose money for a LONG time and still manage to stick around. It's like magic.
In the relatively short term cash flow trumps profit and loss, but in the long term only the government can print money, so eventually a business that it unprofitable and has no future prospects to borrow against will go out of business. Many brand new businesses will trade growing market share and top line growth (gross sales) for short term profit margin, hoping to benefit in the long run. Companies that sell stock have that equity capital they raised to spend before they run out of working capital, many new company IPOs are not even profitable yet, while these days is not as bad as during the dot com bubble when most IPOs were just grand ideas with an underwriter.
When smaller companies get bought out by larger corporations, a couple of things happen. First of all, they become more corporate, and often lose the personal touch that got them there. No longer is it that one guy that happened to be really good at designing a product. An actual R&D team is available, which often results in better designs, although if corporate decision making gets involved, some design choices don't end up matching real world needs.
Becoming more corporate is generally a good thing if you mean planning and budgets and clear lines of authority. I suspect you are offering corporate as some kind of pejorative.

The "personal touch" is a victim of success, if the chief designer is talking every service call, and fixing them himself, he can't afford to sell too many units or will have no time to design the next one.

I have seen as many bad decisions made by small companies as large, while the large company bad decisions make a bigger splash and leave a bigger hole.
The other thing that tends to happen with larger companies is they look for ways to decrease manufacturing costs. With their larger resources available, versus smaller companies, they often can do this with little change to the design and reliability to a product.
Not just look for, this is one compelling motivation for such acquisitions. There is typically benefit to the large organization to run more production through the existing factory and cost savings for the small company product can be significant.
Unfortunately, sometimes the accountants look more at cost savings than the result of their actions.
True there are more sharp pencil types at larger companies, while small companies often err by not charging what it really cost them, or using vague costing rules of thumb that can lead to incorrect design decisions. Two edges to that knife.
Acceptable levels of reliability and quality are set, which may be less than what the product originally had. While it may look and act the same, it could be different.
In my experience higher volume production is generally more accurate and higher build quality. While it is hypothetically possible to de-engineer a design I doubt that happens often if at all. More commonly the acquiring company will exploit the premium brand by line extension down to lower feature higher sales volume models.
I had a couple experiences of extremes with this. When Mackie decided to move production to China of the SRM 450, the China versions of the speakers were totally different than the Italy versions. Still had the same rated specs, but by moving production, they ended up with crap products. JBL moved production of their SRX line of speakers from the US to Mexico, and the difference in construction, performance and reliability has not been noticeable. My guess is that JBL moved to Mexico to save on labor costs, but didn't make any changes to the manufacturing process or specs in the move. The Mackie move went to China for cheaper labor, and at the same time, they allowed component substitution for even lower production costs. The result was a huge backfire for them. Doesn't mean that China can't create amazing products. It means that if you don't specify correctly, they will do what they can to meet your specs at the lowest absolute cost. The outcome may not be what you're expecting if you're not careful.
This is manufacturing management 101. The Mackie story may have been even more complex than that, as Italian designed products may involve some components that did not translate well to world sourcing. JBLs move to Mexico was not as dramatic.
Behringer has been buying up smaller sound companies, similar to how LOUD and Harmon have bought up names to expand their portfolio. Arguably you can say that Behrigner's purchases have helped dramatically improve their offerings over the last few years. The Behringer name is still associated with their entry level products, and pricing of the products matches that. They are in a high volume, low margin business. That keeps costs for end users down, but also means less money is set aside for support per unit sold. This is an acceptable trade-off for most that are buying in that price range.

I am with you about the evolution of full duty to low duty cycle amps, but that only explains a fraction of the difference between a $400 amp and a $3000, there is more involved.

JR

Not many still left, but last I heard JD Bennet (amp guy) who left Crest to work at Peavey before they actually bought Crest, was still working at Peavey (may be retired now). I think that many of the junior Crest employees didn't make the move when the NJ facility was closed and service operations moved down to MS. A bunch of the Crest console guys ended up in a new company (APB).

What's your specific point? "Real" Crest as compared to Peavey-Crest? Opinion might vary over which is better at making reliable power amps, while the old more expensive Crest has more sex appeal and was targeting a more expensive customer. There is a reason they were bought by Peavey and not the other way around.

JR

JR,
Not sure what happened to crest to have them be bought out from peavy. As far as which one is more reliable, well From the crest amps I have owned and my friend who is local crest service center, we both nod for the old crest. I'm pretty sure the -200 series were all designed by old crest guys, they sound great, but reliable,, well put it this way. I have 4 82oo's on bottom end, 2 8200's on monitors, a 9200 on mids, and a 8200 on highs. I turn the amps on and actually say to myself, come on babies light up. Kinda bad when I have to have a 8200 and 9200 sitting in a rack as a spare. These are made in China amps.
The service tech says these are pretty well designed amps that use good parts, but do have a issue with running 2 ohms, 4 ohm bridged in my case on bottom end. 2 8200's failed the last time, a year ago at the same show. 12 hour day, some very heavy double kick metal bands took them out. This never happened on my ca amps of very old vintage.
APB Dynasonics, as you know, I have a prodesk 8-32, I simply love it, sounds incredible!! I dont mind moving around the very heavy desk and a large rack of outboard gear. I just love the sound of it. Where does apb have their products made, us, or China? : )

Joe Sanborn,

You stated this.

3.) Since the customer lives in Japan where the mains voltage is officially at 100 Volts, over the years we have seen areas in Japan where the voltage drops down to 85 Volts and even lower. Especially with a high-power amplifier, one has to pay extra caution to the power supply as our amp is spec'd to operate at min 85 Volts.

4.) We now believe there is a problem with the mains voltage, but first of all we have invited the customer to witness the functioning of the amp at our service center and we will then try to figure out how we can further help him resolve his issue when running the amp at his premises. We might come to the conclusion that a linear amp might be a better solution, as it is less susceptive to mains power variations.

I tried to find and use a user manual for the 6000 to see if voltage requirements are listed, but I keep getting a blank page.

http://www.behringer.com/assets/nu1000dsp_nu3000dsp_nu6000dsp_qsg_ww.pdf

Do you list a voltage spec for these amps in your manual? I start to worry at 110volts, I would turn my rig off way before 85 volts.

Scrolling up to Joe's post, I am also one of the customers in central Tokyo Japan that also had the same problem, the NU 6000 wouldn't stay up but during the try out we put it on an APC UPS with conditioned power. Not to mention a few other ideas. It was connected by itself but it still wouldn't stay on. We only sent it back once and it returned to us last Sunday. Same thing from the REP, they couldn't seem to reproduce the same fault after 20 hours of testing but we replaced the faulty diode anyway. Anyway I have had it running now moderately at maybe 30% volume looking at the front dial with healthy input levels for the past 3 hours. Seems to be OK for now. When we sent it in for repair last week it was finally at the point it would not stay on just standing still doing absolutely nothing. This is no volume and no input. The original problem we think started about a week after we received it. If the trouble starts again after another we will be back in touch with the care center. The distributor is suggesting that if we want to trade for something of the same value they don't mind. They recommend the EP 4000 little less output but circuitry is by design different. Probably wouldn't shut down as the NU 6000 is designed. Not sure that's what they say. But no country stock for another 2 months. I'm really thinking AMP's like these should designed like video projector lamp bulb mentality, there is a little window you can pull up telling you your expected remaining life span for say 3560 hours of use. That we calculate 10 hours day steady for a year then its time for a new one.

JR,
Not sure what happened to crest to have them be bought out from peavy. As far as which one is more reliable, well From the crest amps I have owned and my friend who is local crest service center, we both nod for the old crest. I'm pretty sure the -200 series were all designed by old crest guys, they sound great, but reliable,, well put it this way. I have 4 82oo's on bottom end, 2 8200's on monitors, a 9200 on mids, and a 8200 on highs. I turn the amps on and actually say to myself, come on babies light up. Kinda bad when I have to have a 8200 and 9200 sitting in a rack as a spare. These are made in China amps.
The service tech says these are pretty well designed amps that use good parts, but do have a issue with running 2 ohms, 4 ohm bridged in my case on bottom end. 2 8200's failed the last time, a year ago at the same show. 12 hour day, some very heavy double kick metal bands took them out. This never happened on my ca amps of very old vintage.
APB Dynasonics, as you know, I have a prodesk 8-32, I simply love it, sounds incredible!! I dont mind moving around the very heavy desk and a large rack of outboard gear. I just love the sound of it. Where does apb have their products made, us, or China? : )

I know plenty about lots of things. I was on the team at Peavey that went up to Crest to kick the tires before Peavey finalized the purchase, but i'd rather not share too much inside baseball.

IIRC JD was involved in the original 200 series, and the later amps were mainly switching PS added in front of the old amps.

APB was pretty much the old Crest console team from that left some time after the purchase.

If you like old crest amps maybe I can interest you in some CA6s? Or were those CA9s?

JR

Scrolling up to Joe's post, I am also one of the customers in central Tokyo Japan that also had the same problem, the NU 6000 wouldn't stay up but during the try out we put it on an APC UPS with conditioned power. Not to mention a few other ideas. It was connected by itself but it still wouldn't stay on. We only sent it back once and it returned to us last Sunday. Same thing from the REP, they couldn't seem to reproduce the same fault after 20 hours of testing but we replaced the faulty diode anyway. Anyway I have had it running now moderately at maybe 30% volume looking at the front dial with healthy input levels for the past 3 hours. Seems to be OK for now. When we sent it in for repair last week it was finally at the point it would not stay on just standing still doing absolutely nothing. This is no volume and no input. The original problem we think started about a week after we received it. If the trouble starts again after another we will be back in touch with the care center. The distributor is suggesting that if we want to trade for something of the same value they don't mind. They recommend the EP 4000 little less output but circuitry is by design different. Probably wouldn't shut down as the NU 6000 is designed. Not sure that's what they say. But no country stock for another 2 months. I'm really thinking AMP's like these should designed like video projector lamp bulb mentality, there is a little window you can pull up telling you your expected remaining life span for say 3560 hours of use. That we calculate 10 hours day steady for a year then its time for a new one.

There is a saying here "bleeding edge" technology, a play on the popular saying "cutting edge" technology alluding to the fact that sometimes very new products can cause you pain. It you want an amp that behaves more like a projector lamp, don't buy a very new design.

I trust Behringer service will figure it out. There may even be two different issues confusing the simple resolution. Besides the diode problem that they have already worked on, high power switching amplifiers often have low-line voltage shut down circuits, so they do not mistakenly tell the output power devices to go up and down at the same time, which could cause them to fight against each other and break. Lower technology (projector lamp) amps generally keep working at low brown-out voltages just don't play as loud. Sophisticated digital switching amps have to be more careful and turn off before they make expensive mistakes.

Good luck

JR

PS: Is it possible your power utility is cutting corners on the voltage delivered? Since those several nuclear plants went offline after the tsunami I suspect electricity has been a little scarce and more expensive to make.

Na JR,

My place is brand new, its the same as a data center topology as I do the same at home as a side business.
Suscribe to high pressure 600V and break it down at the PDP for either 200V PDU's or 100V's. I know what
my power is doing.

If you like old crest amps maybe I can interest you in some CA6s? Or were those CA9s?

JR

Ca9's, and either the 6 or 9 are to small for my needs now, but thanks for the offer.

I've yet to see a definitive answer to whether the NU's have a regulated power supply or not? That is, do they supply the same power at 110V vs 120V?

FWIW I've been using an NU3000 for subs, bridged into a pair of TH-Mini's, since they first became available with no issues. What test data I could find says the amp will start to limit and/or shut down about at the same time the TH-Mini's are thermally endangered so I don't run any additional protection aside from a proper HPF.