Behringer X32 Firmware v3.0 Feature Requests

Re: Behringer X32 Firmware v3.0 Feature Requests

Exactly. And they do that because the destination is where you choose the source and you can only choose one. Well, because is the wrong word there. It sounds like I'm confusing cause and effect, and I'm not really. That's how they restrict you from, is what I mean to say

I use the X32 mainly for studio use . Mac with Pro Tools 11 , Windows 7 with Sonar X3 . I would love to be able to have panning in either world on my " Daw Remote " mode . Would also like to see the left side of the board as the control surface , but understand that other's have already posted those concern's .

I was asked the same question when it came to V2 so I'll copy what I had said and put it here:

"Well since it seams like everybody has gotten to say their V2 request, I'll pitch my idea. Now, I absolutely love my console, it does everything that I need it to do and much more, so this would be more of a "nice to have" feature.

One thing that would be nice to have is the ability to move channels, with their settings and parameters, across the board in an easy way. I know you could copy and paste channels or even save it as preset, but in a situation where time is crucial, doing it that way can be tedious. I was thinking about some button combination like select a channel then hold the "utility" button while pressing the right/left arrow buttons would move that channel while bumping the other channels up or down depending on the direction you are going. Then in the X32-Edit you could simply have an edit mode that lets you drag 'n drop channels to where you want them.

maybe have two settings for it in the general pref page...one where the input sources follows the channels and one where the input sources stay while the channel moves."

Youre suggesting "swap this channel with the one to its {left,right}"? That's a neat idea.

I like your suggested implementation too.

So, does anyone know if the two Behringer product gents are actually checking in on this thread?

So, does anyone know if the two Behringer product gents are actually checking in on this thread?

They're not real people... Jan only exists virtually - in these posts and in video - and John is a cyborg. Really! I read it in a tabloid at the supermarket!

/satire

Yes, they do, but don't expect them to acknowledge individual posts unless something can't be done for mechanical or chipset reasons. My understanding is that there are a couple more incremental updates coming in v2.x.x before v3 will launch (date unknown).

Okay. I ask because I have several other items that I think ought to be included in this list for their perusal before they start feature locking 3.0, and I wanted to make sure I wasn't whistling into the wind. Thanks, Tim.

Okay. I ask because I have several other items that I think ought to be included in this list for their perusal before they start feature locking 3.0, and I wanted to make sure I wasn't whistling into the wind. Thanks, Tim.

Not sure how often John or Jan actually stop by to check up on this, but you can send them a private message by clicking on the user name and selecting the option.

I would like to see MP3 playback for the USB drive.

The whole point with the Rack, Core and the Air series is mobile mixing. I do not like leaving my phone (playing music) unattended at the mixer while I'm at "FOH" somewhere else in the room. Even if I purchase a cheap little MP3 player, there is still a risk of theft at an unattended mixer.

I cannot believe MP3 licensing is going to add significantly to the cost of these products. Air-series buyers are going to be particularly angry with no MP3 playback. It really is a big missing feature that should be added.

I would like to see MP3 playback for the USB drive.

Hello

If MP3 would replace WAW - then NO WAY - switchable option - why not.

I have 8Gb thumb drive, that sticks out about 6mm ( 1/4 inch ), costs about 5 Euros and takes roughly ten hours music - suppose one can do with ten hours per shift - perhaps change thumb drive every now and then.

I have to confess - I NEVER compared WAW to MP3 , since I never needed MP3 in my work - but I understand, that WAW should sound better ...

this could be slightly OT, since it's a hardware thing.
But please...i beg you Uli, Waves Soundgrid card!

i'll never rely on routing all my audio to a computer with added buffer latencies and no redundancy at all.

Timo Ulkuniemi said:
I have to confess - I NEVER compared WAW to MP3 , since I never needed MP3 in my work - but I understand, that WAW should sound better ...
The issue isn't so much when it comes down to play your own supplied music but rather when the act(s) asks you to play their backingtracks, and they are 99% always in the mp3 format. No one seems to give you a cd anymore... Many times you'll even get their iphone for playback (and get miffed if you don't carry a charger for it).

Having a computer to convert tracks is a pain and you'll never know what viruses is on that usb stick they give you.

If MP3 would replace WAW - then NO WAY - switchable option - why not.

Keep the ability to play/record .WAV but add at least MP3 or even FLAC playback.

Exactly 0% of my digital music library is in .WAV format. I use FLAC for lossless. All my music is ripped at 44.1. Converting a limited amount of tunes to .WAV will take time and offer a limited library of music. As Robert pointed out, client provided music is 90+% of the time MP3, the rest are AAC/mp4. All at 44.1.

The point not being audio quality but being the focus on mobile mixing for a good portion of the X32 line and pretty much all of the X-Air line and offering an all-in-one solution. Leaving small, easily stolen, devices out for music playback is not in line with that focus. Playback channels for an external device can be muted from a tablet but tracks can't be paused or skipped. Adding a rack mounted device for these purposes works against the small footprint offered by the rack mounted mixers.

It's odd that cheap Phonic powered mixers have built-in MP3 players. I can buy an MP3 player at the dollar store. But this digital device cannot play MP3s.

It's not a deal breaker. Neither the A&H QU series nor the PreSonus AI offer MP3 playback. It would be a nice convenience in my application of the X32 Rack. Figured it was worth asking for.

Seems like I recall reading that MP3 licensing for a mixer is much different than for an MP3 player. Don't remember if it's the cost of the device or usage or what the basis is, only that it's quite different than for these two classes of devices.

Seems like I recall reading that MP3 licensing for a mixer is much different than for an MP3 player. Don't remember if it's the cost of the device or usage or what the basis is, only that it's quite different than for these two classes of devices.
Hey just curious if someone could roll up their own MP3 player plug-in using mostly open-source code - I forget if the X32 is open enough to allow that or not? Might take up an FX slot though...

My personal thought is that the issue is most likely to be that decoding mp3 takes a fair amount of horsepower. There is only a certain amount of horsepower available in the chassis, which I'm certain is one reason why they are rolling out new features on a relatively slow pace. You don't want to ship something and then have people starting to lose frames of audio in the middle of a mix...

(And I'm not sure if it's work you can do on the same sort of DSP processor as the effects *processing*; I think you might have to do it on the processor that drives the UI, and that would be messy as hell...)

Last edited:

My personal thought is that the issue is most likely to be that decoding mp3 takes a fair amount of horsepower...

I suspect it's licensing. A portable MP3 player implies personal enjoyment. An audio mixer implies public performance. Perhaps Behringer is waiting for the US patent to expire next year. But this is all speculation.

I can't believe it's taken this long to compile this list but here it is. If any of these are silly, irrelevant or moot please let me know. It's highly likely that there are things I've missed or misunderstood.

1) When using the channel spillover on the Compact - I would like to see the right bank of faders remember which layer it was on. Currently it defaults back to the DCA layer when you “undo” the spillover via the left side buttons. This is a relatively minor thing since you can always undo the spill with the right bank buttons but I still find myself trying to “undo” the spillover via the same buttons that I used to create the spillover.

2) “Range” parameter doesn’t seem to do anything when an Expander is selected in the Gate section. Perhaps the Range area should just be blanked out when an expander effect is chosen?

3) I would like to see some other options for feeding cans so that, in my particular case, intercom can be brought into the console and sent to cans without interfering with solo operation. In other words, I want solo and com to be mixed together to the headphone output. Greater flexibility in the Cans/Monitor section might be useful in other contexts as well.

4) Show channel fader “dBs” on all the windows associated with a particular fader. Right now the only windows that seems to show it are the “MAIN LR BUS” view and the HOME page.

5) I want an option to cue up in the headphones whatever is going to the usb recorder. This would be particularly useful in a case where you use 2 post fade auxes to feed a stereo mix to the recorder.

6) I really, really want a way to change the EQ “mode” on a given EQ band, live, without passing through hi & low cut. How about if the high or low cut frequency is automatically pushed to the extremes when the mode is changed? That way you can step through the modes without losing all the bottom or top end on the way.

7) How about a way to link aux mixes together? For instance, I would find it useful to start off with all monitor mixes linked and then split them off as more individual fine tuning is needed.

8) A true “default” scene that can’t be overwritten or a fast way to create a “blank” scene. I’ve had trouble figuring out how to get a clean slate without erasing all the scenes.

9) Assign the Master knob on the X32 Rack to any fader I might want? As an “emergency” knob I think I would want it assigned to a DCA that can turn down all outputs if necessary.

There have been quite a few other suggestions in this thread that I agree with. Also, I did a woohoo early in the thread when automixing was mentioned. That said, I concur with Michael Blackburn in that I would like to see more information about how the automix will be implemented. The manuals for the Behringer commercial install products are surprisingly slim on the subject.

The patent licensing issues regarding public performance are an excellent point, drew, that I had overlooked. It's entirely likely that might have something to do with it. I like the rest of your list as well.