Behringer X32 Firmware v3.0 Feature Requests

Re: Behringer X32 Firmware v3.0 Feature Requests

Thanks for the explanations, Tim.

Regarding the right tool for the job discussion, I think I didn't participate because it's important to remember that the big thread is in JV, which is defined as hobbyists and weekend warriors. Adding a Meyer Galileo or System Controller (I don't even know what that is but assume it's similar to Galileo and it's not worth 5 seconds to look it up) is not part of that mindset. Using the console as a crossover, too, seems to me to asking for trouble, but, again, if you're trying to save money/spend no money you max out your options.

One of the many things I don't understand about the console is editing off-line; I've tried it briefly on the iPad and had no success, or at least couldn't tell that I was having success. This conversation will make me make more of an effort.

The partial loading thing: I think it was discussed early on in my experience with the console, which would have been around Oct-Nov-Dec 2012. I don't think it's been elaborated on since, and it seems like Per might be agreeing that there can be partial loading. Being able to stop parameters from loading made sense to me then and makes sense to me now. In a few minutes I'm going to set up two consoles and share scenes back and forth and see what the deal really is.

It's nice to hear that we are intriguing you, and drawing you ever more into our web.

:evil:

That's the evil smiley, apparently.

The console family really has a personality, definitely. It's like audio itself: there is always more to learn, you never get to the end of it. There are many facets and many possible specialties, and that's why I like audio, both as my business and as my hobby. And I work weekends!

I don't work in the world of Galileo, but in reality almost any contemporary loudspeaker DSP can be a system controller - Xilica, Ashly, dbx 260/480/4800, BSS OmniDrive, Berry's DCX; or the input processing available in some power amps like Crown XTi2.

You will need to have X32 Edit on your macbook, windows or Linux machine to do off-line work with a show file.

I keep saying that it's a great time to be in audio. :)

OK, I set up 2 consoles with 2.02, and created a scene on one in which the input routing was screwed up

IMG_2519.jpg

Interestingly and thankfully, the scribble strip shows where you are getting the inputs if it's not 1:1, 2:2, etc.

The output patching was screwed up

IMG_2520.jpg

with XLR 1 having L out, XLR2 R out, XLR 3 ctr/subs out, and 15 and 16 having some combination of MixBus 1, 2, etc.

I also put some weird midrange peaks on the L-R outputs and maybe something else on outputs, I don't remember and didn't get a pic.

Saved that mess to a Scene and labeled it WRONG ALL, and the Show ALL WRONG. No Safes on the console. Exported show to USB.

Had a bunch of things safed on the receiving console. Pretty much everything on the pics below, except not the Scene Safes on the Scene page.

Imported show from USB, loaded Scene WRONG ALL.

Every wrong thing in the Scene immediately appeared on the console. Bummer.

Safes set on the console disappear when loading a new Show with a new Scene.

Tried something else.

Loaded a different show on the console.

Reloaded the ALL WRONG show.

Before loading a Scene, set all the Safes as appear below.

IMG_2525.jpgIMG_2526.jpgIMG_2527.jpg

Then loaded the Scene, and VOILA!!!! Nothing that was wrong translated into the console!

That seems to be the key, set your safes after loading in a new show but before loading in a new Scene or Snippet.

Too bad there does not seem to be a choice to avoid the override; if there is, I don't know where it is.

I didn't change any input channel or FX settings, but I'm assuming that if they are not Safe'd they will change the way the BE wants them to, while the output settings remain the way I want them to be.

Certainly there are nuances to be explored, but there's a quick and probably dirty report on this subject.

Congrats, Per, you got it right! Again!

Certainly there are nuances to be explored, but there's a quick and probably dirty report on this subject.

There are a lot more ways to do it it 2.0 than in 1.15, what you just described would be exactly the same in 1.15, and 2.0 does give you some options that will make it easier to achieve a number of things.
We are obviously still missing the option to have a configuration that is "hard safed" in the console, vital for installs.

You mentioned earlier doing off line editing with iPad, that is not possible, only X32-Edit can be used for that.

I'd never thought of post fader input metering for live, but what I would like for the X32 is post fader OUTPUT metering. In my opinion this should be the default configuration. If I'm troubleshooting a record or zone feed I use the meters to make sure I'm routed correctly and am actually outputting. Pre fader output meters can tell you that something is outputting when in fact it's not.

Hi Loren,
I think we are meaning the same: 'post fader' can only be the output signal. Of course a 'pre fader' signal would make no sense or have I anything else written.

Maybe I'm the only one, but I would like to see some kind of metronome in v3.0. This should be quite easy to implement.

I like the idea of an evolving product. I and I'm happy that Behringer keeps up on making a good product even better!

- an official Android app
- support for FLAC
- support for MP3 (as a paid option to cover licensing?)
- custom layers
- vertical channel pairing
- multi-track record directly to USB connected drive
- gate key listen button missing in X32 Edit – kind of an issue for Core owners (and to Rack owners to some degree)
- option to split graphic EQ’s to be used/stored/recalled as true mono
- crossover algorithms on L/R/M outputs

I should have mentioned that I have two-X32 Racks and only mix on tablets. Mostly band gigs in clubs. The next requests are software specific and probably don't involve the firmware:

- X32 Edit ability go to resize to full-screen
- Tap delay button on left side of main X32 Mix screen - maybe move sends on fader button to bottom of screen near mute lock and put a tap button up top? It takes a lot of screen hopping to do it currently. I use an iPad and Mixing Station on a Dell Venue 8 (Android). I mix on the iPad and control FX on the Dell.
- Access to the at least the "A" assignable controls in X32 Mix. Need access to some user assignable buttons in the apps.

There are a lot more ways to do it it 2.0 than in 1.15, what you just described would be exactly the same in 1.15, and 2.0 does give you some options that will make it easier to achieve a number of things.

OK. Apparently I need to ask what those ways to do it are and what options and what number of things?

Please be specific and include the sequence of button pushes to get there.

Thanks,
Dan

OK. Apparently I need to ask what those ways to do it are and what options and what number of things?

Please be specific and include the sequence of button pushes to get there.

Dan, this is the kind of noob request I don't bother answering :razz:

Seriously though, I was making a generalization and describing every way to do everything that the new system of cues, scenes and snippets allows would make for a very thick book.

Within the scope of preserving output routing, - processing and - eq in a setting where you as a systech has set up the console to output to the right channels and have eq, filtering, dynamics in place, using the console as a system processor to a greater or lesser degree, my immediate suggestion would be to create a scene 00 named something obvious like ZERO, INITIAL or SHOWBOX.
That scene should be containing basically a reset console with the proper settings for what you want to be preset and safe, and save that scene to a stick.
When a BE then comes with a prearranged showfile, you import the scene as scene 00 into the show in the scenes view, and you also go into global safes and safe the channels MainLR, M/C, Matrix XX, and parameter Out Patch and export the show.
A console power up with that show in place will come up with the scene 00 settings (even if the scene isn't part of any cues, it is enough that the scene is present on the console) unfortunately I haven't checked if a console reset will invoke scene 00.
To me this seems the fastest and easiest way of achieving the goal of keeping console settings intact, and the whole operation should not take more than half a minute.

I can imagine variations that include repairing a whole show with invoking snippets and resaving scenes etc.,or including a snippet containing the system settings in every cue, but I don't think any of that is practical for the general case, and will have to be deferred to that special case where the basic approach doesn't work.

As for being more specific, let's first discuss if this approach seems conceptually within what you would want.

Thanks for taking pity on a new guy, Mr. 1580 posts.

What you say makes sense up to the "export the show" part below.

When a BE then comes with a prearranged showfile, you import the scene as scene 00 into the show in the scenes view, and you also go into global safes and safe the channels MainLR, M/C, Matrix XX, and parameter Out Patch and export the show.
A console power up with that show in place will come up with the scene 00 settings (even if the scene isn't part of any cues, it is enough that the scene is present on the console) unfortunately I haven't checked if a console reset will invoke scene 00.

Export the show simply to save it?

I'll be able to check this later and see if the reset comes up as scene 00. I'll also check to see if scene 00 somehow saves safes or has other magical properties. If not, I'm not sure how having a scene 00 is better than just going in and checking the safe boxes in parameters, but I'll look at that, too.

Thanks again,
Dan

Thanks for taking pity on a new guy, Mr. 1580 posts.
8)~:cool:~:cool:

What you say makes sense up to the "export the show" part below.

Export the show simply to save it?

I'll be able to check this later and see if the reset comes up as scene 00. I'll also check to see if scene 00 somehow saves safes or has other magical properties. If not, I'm not sure how having a scene 00 is better than just going in and checking the safe boxes in parameters, but I'll look at that, too.

Yes, the export was just to save it in order to have a functioning show on a stick if the event is a multi band event with several BEs, or after the sound check or whatever. No functional reason other than that.

No, scene 00 doesn't have magical properties beyond being unimpeded by global safes. It won't save any safes or do anything beyond the scope of any other scenefile and won't be able to alter any global settings (which just made me think that maybe I'll have another go at doctoring a scene file to do just that :twisted: )

As I said before, the method you described earlier, or any method that start out with the console in the right state will do the trick. There is one pitfall to every approach that doesn't start over by initializing according to the original and desired settings. If for whatever reason the sacred settings are altered during the process of setting up the show, these settings will not be restored. Therefore, I feel the scene00-and-reboot method is the safest way to go.

Mr. 1581 posts

Last edited:

Ok, after getting myself buggered at our last practice I really really want "Gains on Faders"!

On the iPad app, I was adjusting the gain for the rhythm guitar and got bumped while doing it .... pegging the gain for the guitar. Fortunately, it only caused a loud low hum feedback which got clipped on the subs. Still, I couldn't drag that silly knob back around for several seconds (which felt like several minutes).

Please give me gains on faders!

Ok, after getting myself buggered at our last practice I really really want "Gains on Faders"!

On the iPad app, I was adjusting the gain for the rhythm guitar and got bumped while doing it .... pegging the gain for the guitar. Fortunately, it only caused a loud low hum feedback which got clipped on the subs. Still, I couldn't drag that silly knob back around for several seconds (which felt like several minutes).

Do you feel you're immune to being bumped when you're on faders?

Serious question.

Regarding the part where you couldn't drag the knob around, many times I have to do a move two or three or four times because the iPad doesn't respond to my touch. I don't know if I'm especially wizened and dry, although that is certainly possible, but there have been some near panics when trying to unmute a channel as the talent was moving toward the mic.

Is there some kind of glove with fingers that always reliably have the capacitance or whatever to operate the touch screen, without making you sweat? Maybe it's a winter phenomenon, and not a problem with sweaty hands. Just thought of that.

Not really a 3.0 request, though.......

Yeah, I can see that.

Exciting words coming out about V3.0, this was to be kept a secret, but I'm so excited. 320 channels, 192 KHz! Fader 1 will be used to scroll through the layers.
Also, there will be the option to connect a bluetooth adapter to the usb port at the back, it will support two screens, a keyboard and an iPhone connection with streaming.
Finally, the desk is renamed XL32, and we have to register on the support pages for a sticker set.
And it is out today with the new XL-Edit, XL-Mix and QXL

Edit: What happened to that story about Dave Grohl replacing that obsolete analog board with the XL32?

Last edited:

Exciting words coming out about V3.0, this was to be kept a secret, but I'm so excited. 320 channels, 192 KHz! Fader 1 will be used to scroll through the layers.
Also, there will be the option to connect a bluetooth adapter to the usb port at the back, it will support two screens, a keyboard and an iPhone connection with streaming.
Finally, the desk is renamed XL32, and we have to register on the support pages for a sticker set.
And it is out today with the new XL-Edit, XL-Mix and QXL

Hello

Per - I just can not believe this - you are not mentioning one VERY important feature - also included is full support of AES42 in every channel and individually selectable - not in blocks of 8 - finally those of us having digital microphones can start enjoying FULL dynamics of heavily compressed fuzz-guitars....

Hello

Per - I just can not believe this - you are not mentioning one VERY important feature - also included is full support of AES42 in every channel and individually selectable - not in blocks of 8 - finally those of us having digital microphones can start enjoying FULL dynamics of heavily compressed fuzz-guitars....

I haven't got around to all the features yet, since the installer took two hours to download and the preinstaller that you run to morph some of the circuits takes some time to complete, my console just finished the firmware preload and diagnostics when I posted.
I'm a bit miffed by the need for triple shielded CAT9 for the overclocked AES50, there should have been an option to keep the old AES50 speed when you don't need 320 channels at 192 KHz, but I'm sure I can find the money somewhere for the new cable.
The ability to use digital microphones is exciting, now I can sell my house and buy a couple :)~:)~:smile:.

More as we try out the new features.
PS: Is the ground supposed to shake when the console is rebooting?

Afaik you can use one of the xlr ins to transfer all the channels from the s16s to the console. Based on this new technology you can daisy chain 20 S16 simpky using short microphone cables.
The over all latency of the system is now less than 0.001 fs (femtoseconds) approx..
and the user interface on tge console as well as the remote application is now 100% failure free, even on layer 8 there will be no failure in the future.
great update, well done....

The ability to use digital microphones is exciting, now I can sell my house and buy a couple :)~:)~:smile:.

Hello

I have one - I´ll send it to you and can have one room of your house to use for the rest of my life, whenever I or some of my friends are there.

Do we have a deal ???

Afaik you can use one of the xlr ins to transfer all the channels from the s16s to the console. Based on this new technology you can daisy chain 20 S16 simpky using short microphone cables.
The over all latency of the system is now less than 0.001 fs (femtoseconds) approx..
and the user interface on tge console as well as the remote application is now 100% failure free, even on layer 8 there will be no failure in the future.
great update, well done....
Actually, I'm not sure if the AES42 spec supports that, but when you are running the Hyperdupernet implementation of AES50, the overall latency of the system is reduced by 0.8mS, so the updated system shows a 2.0345mS improvement. This actually means that you won't get any feedback because the signal arrives back before it originates, allowing one to use any amount of gain, compression and loud monitors.

I have one - I´ll send it to you and can have one room of your house to use for the rest of my life, whenever I or some of my friends are there.
Do we have a deal ???

I'll hide the booze though :razz: