New Midas M32 Console

Re: New Midas M32 Console

William, just to clarify, is AES50 is a subset of HyperMac (Gigabit Ethernet cabling)? Someone noted before that AES50 is only 100MBps. What are the relationships between these? Is HyperMac and AES50 the same or different things?

Also, will there be any advantages of using CAT6 vs. CAT5e with X32/M32 (performance, stability)? Or shielded vs. unshielded 5e will make more difference?

The answer is HyperMac is not AES50 compliant. Here is a great explanation of the two technologies and by no other than MG.
http://www.aes-media.org/sections/u...lker - Applications in Live Convert Sound.pdf
Hope this clarifies any misconceptions floating about.
Cat 6 has better control over the twisted pairs and able to accommodate higher speeds than cat 5e.

yup they really screw all people with a lot consoles. If your Midas stock was worth 1000000 its now only 700000. 30% over night. Thanks Uli. I will be looking for more sustainable investment elsewhere.

If anyone in our industry buys equipment thinking it is a sustainable investment in itself, they are bound to be disappointed! The roi it generates will need to come from invoices for shows it is on, not resale value.
FWIW the roi on expensive consoles, and other "glamour gear", is generally poor. If you want good roi, look at rf mics and plastic powered boxes.
A rf mic can recoup its cost in just a few hires, an xl8 probably never will.

Value, based on brand perception, now that's a whole different kettle of fish!

Darren

Last edited:

If anyone in our industry buys equipment thinking it is a sustainable investment in itself, they are bound to be disappointed! The roi it generates will need to come from invoices for shows it is on, not resale value.
FWIW the roi on expensive consoles, and other "glamour gear", is generally poor. If you want good roi, look at rf mics and plastic powered boxes.

Darren

I am fully aware of the loss on equity. Been there many times. What I don't need is the manufacture to speed that process up because he is greedy. He has the M32 and the X32 for the cheap gigs. Leave my Pro Series alone for at least the time you make them. Once they stop the series and shift remaining stock all bets are off.

yup they really screw all people with a lot consoles. If your Midas stock was worth 1000000 its now only 700000. 30% over night. Thanks Uli. I will be looking for more sustainable investment elsewhere.
But if you are selling your midas stuff it's more likely because you want to buy new/upgrade. So when you sell your midas stuff for 30% less, the new midas stuff is also 30% less so you lose nothing if you stay with the brand...

is this a permanent price shift with the introduction of the m32 and to make room for newtron on top?
or temporary drop for midas is trying to make sales before the next trade show ?

is this different then a+h or yammy throwin in a expensive stage box?
or avid givin u a lower price if u destroyed a analog desk? the s3l seams in need of incentives
sound craft dropped there prices/lines as well
is digico above the rest?
ssl live could be the virgin of the group
waves is far from perfect but i wish they would hurry up and get in the big game with a large usb fader wing + stage boxes ...they seam so close

does midas and beringers product cycle look more and more like elation and amdj?

not real questions
no answer or spell checkz required

I reckon that music group both, can make things a lot cheaper than midas/kt/turbo have been and their pricing model is different (not what they think they can charge rather what it costs them + continuing r&d). So they are simply reflecting the costs it now costs to make the midas/kt/turbo products.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 625

I reckon that music group both, can make things a lot cheaper than midas/kt/turbo have been and their pricing model is different (not what they think they can charge rather what it costs them + continuing r&d). So they are simply reflecting the costs it now costs to make the midas/kt/turbo products.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 625

I can accept that. However the fact remains that I am now pretty bad out of Pocket. This has alienated me and cost me the equivalent of a nice Car.
So for the future I will be looking elsewhere.

I can accept that. However the fact remains that I am now pretty bad out of Pocket. This has alienated me and cost me the equivalent of a nice Car.
So for the future I will be looking elsewhere.

This is pretty ridiculous. As manufacturing, technology, and competition continue to improve we will most likely be seeing MORE price drops from all manufacturers. Don't buy a console based on potential resale value. Buy the console that will satisfy your requirements and earn you money--it will most likely be worth pennies on the dollar by EOL!

Jeff

Value, based on brand perception, now that's a whole different kettle of fish!

Darren

Very good point! The only pieces of my inventory I've sold for more than I've bough it for was the stuff from local Craigslist (some were near-new), for no more 20-40% of dealers' street price. These gave me the highest ROI because they've generated plenty of invoices as well. It's no different than tradesmen investing in their tools (electricians, plumbers, etc.) At least you can recoup some of this money ....

Actually, it is terrible how the manufacturers keep screwing their customers on a regular basis. L'Acoustics screwed the V'dosc owners y bringing out the K1, d&b screwed the Q-series owners with the V-series. If every manufacturer stuck to producing what they made in the seventies and raised prices by one percent every year, everybody would be happy and no-one would get screwed on heir investments.

EDIT: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Last edited:

Actually, it is terrible how the manufacturers keep screwing their customers on a regular basis. L'Acoustics screwed the V'dosc owners y bringing out the K1, d&b screwed the Q-series owners with the V-series. If every manufacturer stuck to producing what they made in the seventies and raised prices by one percent every year, everybody would be happy and no-one would get screwed on heir investments.
Sorry if I bag to differ. My Pro 9 and 6 have not been replaced by more advanced desks as maybe K1 replaced V Dosc. They are still the same desks out the same factory for just a lot less.
Maybe I am just too grumpy because mine a less then one year old.

On the other hand, we wouldn't have the K1 and V-series, which are both perfectly good improved upon products. Not that they really needed to be added to the market. Plus, anyone with money for those products knows well enough that V'dosc is still plenty good for anything. Same with Q-series.

However, this is a different occurrence than this price drop, I think. If I had to guess, Uli is trying to make the Pro series a bit more competitive, which he can do now that they cost less to produce (if I had to guess) due to their newer production facilities. I was actually thinking that it was something they should highly consider about 3 months ago while I was reading through a post referring to a lack of Pro series success due to slightly higher than average price tags.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sorry if I bag to differ. My Pro 9 and 6 have not been replaced by more advanced desks as maybe K1 replaced V Dosc. They are still the same desks out the same factory for just a lot less.
Maybe I am just too grumpy because mine a less then one year old.

So what would be the appropriate time to keep a product off the market before offering it at a reduced price? Would a two year quarantine be enough? Maybe paint it in a different, cheaper looking colour? .....or is it simply greedy for any manufacture to try to extend a product life by offering it at a reduced price?

Have you ever bought a flat screen TV, monitor or mobile phone? Hurts doesn't it?

Vdosc had been around for way more than 10 years and was EOL for any actual business anyway. It still has resale value and had already made the businesses that owned it tons of ROI. Same with Q series, but Q isn't quite as old.

In marketing those who buy early and for the BIG PRICE are known as "early adopters." Those who lay back, sometimes years, will always reap the benefits of lower prices as the market becomes more saturated. I rarely buy anything new anymore, for one I can't afford to buy large format consoles new. But also because like new cars, the second you drive it off the lot...