New Midas M32 Console

Re: M32 Case

I've not seen the safe case before... Those are nice. Always done Olympic in the past but they cost a bit more than others. Thanks for the link Bob

so "AES50 networking allows up to 96 inputs"

does this mean you can mix 96 inputs all at once or just that you have access to them but you're still limited on the console?

so "AES50 networking allows up to 96 inputs"

does this mean you can mix 96 inputs all at once or just that you have access to them but you're still limited on the console?

The console's fundamental mixing architecture is 48x16x2, with a maximum route-able AES50 connections of 48. Take a look at the X32 Routing in X32 Edit. The maximum number of inputs mixable from external sources (not coming from within the desk, i.e. FX returns and on board USB playback) is 38. The sources for the stereo FX returns and the USB playback cannot be reassigned. This all may change as firmware is improved...

Tim,
Correct me if I'm wrong, at 96k such as the DL-251. It requires 1 cat-5 cable per 24 inputs. (the IO has 3, One is for redundancy) If the DL-251 is set to 48k, 1 cat-5 will communicate 48 inputs. So if the M-32 released at 48k you would only need the one cat-5 to connect to 2, DL-16's. But if the M-32 is updated to 96k, would you not need both aes-50 ports on the desk to get your 32 inputs and returns from the DL-16? (1 cat-5 to each DL-16) ???
If I am correct, Then running 3 total cat-5 cables as a snake, (third one for any PM device) is alright with me as I do that now with the pro-2) Still beats running a hundred pound copper snake...
Took the Pro-2 out to a gig last night, had three bands with a total channel count of 18. I cant wait till this smaller desk ships. That pro-2 gets heaver every day.

Re: New Midas M32 Console

ok so you picking a fight for the sake of picking a fight now. The reason I want it 96K is so that it will work with the rest of the midas range and before anybody says anything yes i know the stage boxes run at 48k now as well but the desk only run at 96k.
I'm not gonna get in an argument about whether its an X32 in drag or not because bottom line its all the same company yes it shares some of the stuff the same but quite a lot of the software was written by Midas anyways so why argue.
the whole desk will be better based on build quality and parts I've explained why I'm excited about it and don't really wish to argue about whether its marketing or not.

I am on the same page. I have three PRO desks and don't want to have to think about changing settings on stage boxes. Just one more reason to get an emergency call from someone when a tech is in a rush and they forget to check.

And was I crazy or I thought the original info blast for the M32 said "96K now and 192K capable" instead of "48K now and 96K capable"? I don't really care about 192K but just making sure I am not losing my mind.

Also, for what it is worth, the 48K vs 96K debate comes up between me and a BE about once every two weeks. I have finally stopped trying to defend 48K even though I have no problem with it. Not worth the fight with the "client". I respect Tim for fighting it, but for me, I'm done with it. Just make the damn things 96K and let's instead argue about the merits of you re-tuning our rig (12 box per side LA) with a single reference microphone at one position, FOH of course, and under a tent, with the mic laying flat on the doghouse of the console (no stand). You know, the important stuff :)

Jason

I apologize is this has already been covered, I read back several pages and didn't see anything. I heard from a Midas dealer in the chicago area that there were 10,000 pre-orders for this desk and that if I wanted one I wouldn't see it until 2016. By then some piece of technology will have changed and the desk will be on it's way in to the obsolete category as these things go.

Anyone heard this?

I apologize is this has already been covered, I read back several pages and didn't see anything. I heard from a Midas dealer in the chicago area that there were 10,000 pre-orders for this desk and that if I wanted one I wouldn't see it until 2016. By then some piece of technology will have changed and the desk will be on it's way in to the obsolete category as these things go.

Anyone heard this?

No. :)

JR

Anyone heard this?

There were more pre-orders than that for the X32 and they were able to get them out pretty quickly, so I don't see how it should be any problem.

There were more pre-orders than that for the X32 and they were able to get them out pretty quickly, so I don't see how it should be any problem.
From what I heard, it's about projections vs ability, and the time lag to change manufacturing throughput. The M32 had lower projections than the X32, and I heard a months-long ramp up if projections were low, which they ended up being.

Regardless, we are looking at limited availability through end of the year unless something unexpected happens.