New Midas M32 Console

re: New Midas M32 Console

Everyone need now get in line to get the next lotto numbers from Tim....

i'm genuinely surprised that they made this move. It's an X32 in a nicer box with cooler looking controls. Guess that's easy enough to engineer and produce, but... definitely makes mincemeat of the 'two companies, two identities' concept.

Seems like an "M48" would have given just a little more separation between the products.

Isn't the theory that many "PRO" companies won't buy a X32 and the "B" word is not allowed on riders?

So, put the name Midas on it and you will sell a ton of them to guys who refuse to by "B".

I'll guess $5k for the M32. Is it worth $2k more? Anyone want to list out the features that are better or improved?

They are touring 192kHz A/D chips. Are they intimating and are we to infer that the console runs at 192kHz?

No - 192k A/D does not have to be it's internal sample rate. In this case, it's 192 A/D and 96k internal sample rate.

"The groundbreaking M32 console combines legendary MIDAS sound quality with advanced digital technology, future-proof 96 kHz capable open architecture design and industry-leading 192 kHz ADC and DAC converters, creating a revolutionary mid-format live console."

There was a hint from Uli back then somewhere in the X32 thread that the console´s Processing power is enough to work @96kHz and it is possible, that such an upgrade (hardware and/or Firmware) will come one day. I think the same facts are behind the 96kHz capable blurb on the MIDAS page

So, do I have to now go from saying, "I'm a big Midas fan!" to "I'm a big fan of the Midas Pro1 on up"?

I wouldn't be opposed to taking the core of the X32, adding more sheer processing power, putting in the same preamps as the Pro series, fix QC issues, and reworking the surface layout. The cost would primarily be in the preamps and coding labor. It would fix the key issues I have with the X32, allow for shared R&D amortization, and wouldn't look like a Behringer. Waiting to see what our Midas rep says....

So, do I have to now go from saying, "I'm a big Midas fan!" to "I'm a big fan of the Midas Pro1 on up"?

I wouldn't be opposed to taking the core of the X32, adding more sheer processing power, putting in the same preamps as the Pro series, fix QC issues, and reworking the surface layout. The cost would primarily be in the preamps and coding labor. It would fix the key issues I have with the X32, allow for shared R&D amortization, and wouldn't look like a Behringer. Waiting to see what our Midas rep says....

+1

But really, what's the point? I'm happy with what is already out there. I just don't need another offering in either product line.

Any idea what the M32 will cost? And when it will be available??
if using with DL151 or 251 are the MIC Pres racallable???

I see MSRP: 4999 USD.
there are still some arguing wether the M32 is just 96kHz with a future update, or it is already 96k
i did read it, that out of the box it is now 48kHz because of the onboard ADCs& DACs, but then I dont get it. MIDAS writes for the
ADCs and the DACs that they are even 192 kHz chips. Someone clarify please!

Anyone want to list out the features that are better or improved?

Motorized faders - same as pro series
Preamps - same as pro series
Nicer looking encoders (presumably better)
New A/D and D/A converters
Presumably more DSP horsepower (to support 96K etc)
More "pro" looking chassis, possibly more rugged?
More rider friendliness, though this won't be really priced in the market of touring consoles that show up on riders....

Last edited:

Midas M32, looks like an X32 crossed with a CL3.

MIDAS M32

Chris

Brilliant! Uli Behringer is a genus! M32 looks like an iPhone of digital mixers. I'd be happy to throw an extra $2K for its look alone and hope for future channel count/96K upgrades. Finally Behringer has made a truly designer product, not just utility. Even if it's rebadged/improved X32, it's still a hell of a desk! Would be an eye-catcher at any gig!

I see from M32 page that they've dumped FW interface completely, it's USB only. Wonder why? Will M32 have FW800 connectivity in the future or will go straight to Thunderbolt?

I would suggest to AVID to hire that guy immediately (an Indian Bentley designer who created M32), to completely redo the S3L that looks like it was made by bunch of kids with no clue about industrial design. Better to hurry up before Behringer/MIDAS will come up with modular system similar to S3L for a tiny fraction of S3L price!

Last edited:

So, $1,000 in improvements and $1,000 for the name? I'll take it. Are they showing a working console at NAMM or is this just a 3D rendering for now. ETA?