New Midas M32 Console

Re: New Midas M32 Console

I agree.

The "sound quality" argument for purchasing an M32 over an X32 is likely to be quite weak IMHO. This is especially true when considering the much higher quality of acts, mix engineers, speakers and mic's likely to be used with an M32 vs an X32.

There are other arguments that are better though. The warranty is better, the case is much better, the mechanical parts (especially the faders) are better. The rider friendliness is also going to be a big factor.

Being used with higher quality acts and equipment I would think is a very good argument for opting for marginally better sound quality in the mixer. When the weakest link is the source and the speakers, there isn't anything to be gained by upping the quality of the mixer. With top quality on both ends, one is more likely to gain from a small quality increase in the middle component.

Per: Looks like a Bright (AVAB CaC) production, so probably Meyer Lyon.

Yes, of course, obvious now that I know the answer.:blush:
Didn't see the sidehandles properly through the scrim and mistook the shape of what I thought I saw.

Got my hands on a dealer demo last night. M32 FOH on Nexo Alpha. did three bands in a row and all i gotta say is i'm very happy with the sound. I'm not happy with the layout of the desk tho. I'll get used to it in time. As i thought when i saw the picture on here, its a left handed persons desk. My right hand kept going left to the processor side and my head pointing right to see adjustments was not at all good. Right hand crossing left hand all night long and my neck hurts today.. I know,, poor poor me.
Ill post more tomorrow. Off to another gig.

Congrats SAM!

Got my hands on a dealer demo last night. M32 FOH on Nexo Alpha. did three bands in a row and all i gotta say is i'm very happy with the sound. I'm not happy with the layout of the desk tho. I'll get used to it in time. As i thought when i saw the picture on here, its a left handed persons desk. My right hand kept going left to the processor side and my head pointing right to see adjustments was not at all good. Right hand crossing left hand all night long and my neck hurts today.. I know,, poor poor me.
Ill post more tomorrow. Off to another gig.

Trial by fire! :)

But if you're not left-handed, maybe you're not qualified to be a sound engineer? ;)

Congratulations, Sam !

After you've had a chance to check it out, can you report on what firmware version was loaded on the M32 ?

Does the boot-up banner say Midas ?

I'm curious to know if it's in sync with the firmware on the X32.

Thanks,

Bob

Thanks for the info, Arne. Hope you are enjoying the new console.

Looks like we'll have a little wait on this side of the pond.

Bob

Finished 3 gigs with the Demo. had to take it back Tuesday and that was not easy. first of all, I like the desk. Easy to setup, Easy to Patch, and the effects although hard to get just right do to the screen size, they sound great. The lights and the screen are readable in daylight as is the B. My biggest thumbs down on this desk is the time i have spent on the PRO, all the right hand does on the M32 is get in the way. A VGA out to have a larger screen option i feel would have taken this desk up a notch in my mind.
I cant say enough about how good the desk sounds. The warmness of the pre's and the quick EQ adjust feels like im working on the Pro-2...
After i read other posts here from other gigs i will make my decision on weather to purchase one or I am now thinking about a Pro-1 or a Pro-2C. I just don't like the layout of the M.
Tim, what are you feeling about this? Pro-1 for the small gigs? SAM ? Any body ?

Last edited:

I don't care for the X32/ M32 layout. Personal preference. My vote is Pro2c. Plus, to me at least, it feels like a 'real' Midas rather than a Behringer pretending to be a Midas.

A Pro2c has the interface I like, can process more channels, and gives a lot more interconnectivity with the AES50 slots.

I don't care for the X32/ M32 layout. Personal preference. My vote is Pro2c. Plus, to me at least, it feels like a 'real' Midas rather than a Behringer pretending to be a Midas.

A Pro2c has the interface I like, can process more channels, and gives a lot more interconnectivity with the AES50 slots.

I am glad I am not the only one. Hell to me is a walkup festival gig doing foh and monitors on a x32 at the same time.

And here in the small time that is getting very very common.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

While everyone have their own favorite console and workflow I fail to see how mixing on a x32 is hell...

Well… there are just a lot of places to get lost when going from point A to point B when mixing both at the same time. One or the other - isn't too bad. But when you have to switch between them… it just seems like the X32 has a workflow for FoH and a separate one for Monitors to me, and they don't blend well.

Of course, to each their own. Some will love the workflow, and once again, you can't beat it at the price point.

Its not just the possibility of getting lost. It is the number of steps to get to the control you need. I am rolling along during a show with the left faders on the second bank so the lead vocal is under my fingers and the effects sends on the third bank of the right faders preparing for the next song. The acoustic bass starts to take off in the monitor channel. The frequency that is taking off because it is building up under the tent over the stage has been noticeably missing in the foh system.

What steps do you have to go through to first pull down the bass in the monitor, second adjust the eq for just the monitor, and then bring the level back up?

Did I mention you are standing side stage where you cannot clearly hear either the monitors or the mains, and while there is an iPad provided with the board, because we were the last band of the day it is now being recharged and would be useless anyway because the band attracted 10 times more people to that stage than it is seen all day and they are packed elbow to asshole and there is no way to step away from the board to hear the speakers.

Welcome to the walk up gig at a street fair provided by the company with a nice new stack of x32s

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD