New Midas M32 Console

Re: New Midas M32 Console

Looks like the usb control port is gone in the final version so it seems that we will never see it work in the x32.

The m32 ships only with the usb card so firewire doesn't seem to an option unless the x32 xuf card works out of the box.

As I recall, the supplier for the firewire chip went out of business, so The Music Group decided to ship X32's with only the X-USB card. They are apparently doing the same with the M32. You can still find a few of the X-UF cards on e-bay and at some of the vendors. They should work on this board, too. They are no longer showing in on the Midas website as an optional card.

Art

The m32 ships only with the usb card so firewire doesn't seem to an option unless the x32 xuf card works out of the box.

Would be silly to remove the X-UF support from the M32 firmware builds. I can't imagine they are going to take the M32 firmware off the current development team and develop it separately, thus whatever is supported on the X32 is likely to be supported on the M32 both now and in the future.

On the quick start guide, a little mess up as the inputs are all 4 pin.. humm The assignable knobs hold a lot of information. I do like the way the AUX out sends work. As to select the aux and apply the contribution to the mix. Just looks like the long way to get to it. Sends on Fade would be faster imo. Effects 5 - 8 are insert only. ?? So 1 - 4 are glued in. If true, then only two stereo effects can be used ? I am sure that class on the 26th and 27th will clear that up for me. A lot of the same feathers as the B but in different places. Off to make some money in this 100+ weather, hope your all having a great weekend.

Last edited:

Dear all,

Allow me to clarify a few misunderstandings.

MUSIC Group relies on external distribution. Our products are sold ex-works China and our distributors are responsible for logistics. We also don’t make any promises related to delivery nor do we allocate products to customers, so it would be best to check with your local distributor for accurate information. Our European distributor is ESP/Face in Belgium, and Starin in the USA.

I have been with Midas for over 18 years and have witnessed how MUSIC Group invested over US$ 20 million, first in Midas and now in Turbosound. With over 70 people in the UK and a brand new R&D building, we have the largest R&D team that Midas has ever had in its history, and likely the largest in the Pro Audio industry. Midas is doing extremely well and has grown over four times since its acquisition, we simply can’t make enough products and we are back ordered on almost every console. Once our new factory goes live at the end of this year, we will have significantly increased capacity and this will hopefully ease the problem.

We have shipped close to 400 M32 consoles, but with nearly 10,000 on back order it will take several months to fill the backlog.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind regards,

Al Walker
Senior Engineer
MUSIC Group

As I recall, the supplier for the firewire chip went out of business

Not exactly, the manufacturer stopped making the Archwave DM1500 chip.

The true story might also involve elements of Archwave never delivering on their promise. They were announcing direct-to-stick 16 channel USB recording back at NAMM 2011, but failed to deliver a working driver, and if I'm not mistaken; forcing Behringer to write their own driver.
Neither Uli nor anyone else at Behringer have ever admitted to any unhappiness or misgivings about the Archwave product, but one might assume that the decision to go in another direction with the X-USB card might have been influenced by the experience with the DM1500 and the Achwave software.

Last edited:

Dear all,

Allow me to clarify a few misunderstandings.

MUSIC Group relies on external distribution. Our products are sold ex-works China and our distributors are responsible for logistics. We also don’t make any promises related to delivery nor do we allocate products to customers, so it would be best to check with your local distributor for accurate information. Our European distributor is ESP/Face in Belgium, and Starin in the USA.

I have been with Midas for over 18 years and have witnessed how MUSIC Group invested over US$ 20 million, first in Midas and now in Turbosound. With over 70 people in the UK and a brand new R&D building, we have the largest R&D team that Midas has ever had in its history, and likely the largest in the Pro Audio industry. Midas is doing extremely well and has grown over four times since its acquisition, we simply can’t make enough products and we are back ordered on almost every console. Once our new factory goes live at the end of this year, we will have significantly increased capacity and this will hopefully ease the problem.

We have shipped close to 400 M32 consoles, but with nearly 10,000 on back order it will take several months to fill the backlog.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind regards,

Al Walker
Senior Engineer
MUSIC Group

Midas promisse at Musikmesse that they deliver July. Why always say about 20 Million? Every post from every Music group member always says invested 20 million. We have understand that now thank you.
It is not important how big r&d is if they still slow and stuff don't work

Midas promisse at Musikmesse that they deliver July. Why always say about 20 Million? Every post from every Music group member always says invested 20 million. We have understand that now thank you.

I wonder how much has been spent on service centers, training repair techs, and dealer support.

It is called marketing and every company does it. Does that actually surprise you? I would have done the same telling everyone over and over again about my major investments if I thought it would be better bussiness for me (and the customer ;-). Wouldn't you?

It sounds like that the first batch of the m32 are on their way and july have just ended and you call that late!? I've heard worse over the years from well respected companies...

Non-working stuff? Well the x32 was kind of slow in its release but hardly non-working. The x32 represents a different leuague of gear and can't really be compared with their low-cost 'consumer gear'.

I'm not going to sit here and explain the nature of my business. I am a professional sound engineer have been for over a 11 years. bottom line is that the desk is an investment on my front and hiring in another desk defeats the point of my purchase because thats exactly the reason for my purchase, my clients were hiring desks from other places when booking me to engineer.
Secondly yes I have lost money and not completely due to music group and midas. We were originally told an april delivery date, then a july, now august and I've been told the last three weeks thats its been shipped which it hadn't be till today.
I've been told today it will definitely be with me monday they have the shipping confirmation from ESP end of story....

@Sam,

Sorry to hear about the delays. It is one of my only complaints about Music Group. They have a habit of over-promising and under-delivering on release dates. The products are impressive when they release them (at least the mixers we are talking about), but sometimes the wait can be infuriating!

@Tamas,

I am eagerly awaiting your review (as I am sure many are).

@Art,

The USB 2.0 interface is not as bullet-proof as the firewire interface. Sadly, USB chips more universally adhere to the specifications than Firewire chips do.

USB 3.0 operates much like Firewire. Perhaps we will see future cards that support the USB3.0 standard.

Dear All,

first impressions on the. M32 (vs X32):
Teh. M32 feels really as a premium console vs the X32 regading the knobs, faders etc.
the overall finish is quite hight quality.
As we know, the functionality and menu etc is the same as in the X32.
the sound quality is much better on the M32.
We did not do comprehensive tests yet, but we did compare the sound using. Mic input to Analogue output.
the overall sound quality is much better, more detailed, more controlled, more defined. I can not say one range is better, because
both bass and mid and treble sounds really better.
So to sum up: it is a console with good functionality, quality (seemingly) mechanical parts, and a good sound quality.
all this at a reasonable price.
I would definitely wait for the DL16 instead of buying S16 for an existing X32 console :)

cheers,

Tamas

Dear All,

first impressions on the. M32 (vs X32):
Teh. M32 feels really as a premium console vs the X32 regading the knobs, faders etc.
the overall finish is quite hight quality.
As we know, the functionality and menu etc is the same as in the X32.
the sound quality is much better on the M32.
We did not do comprehensive tests yet, but we did compare the sound using. Mic input to Analogue output.
the overall sound quality is much better, more detailed, more controlled, more defined. I can not say one range is better, because
both bass and mid and treble sounds really better.
So to sum up: it is a console with good functionality, quality (seemingly) mechanical parts, and a good sound quality.
all this at a reasonable price.
I would definitely wait for the DL16 instead of buying S16 for an existing X32 console :)

cheers,

Tamas

Will the DL16 work with the X32?

Will the DL16 work with the X32?

Yes, functionally they are the same. M32=X32, DL16=S16. Everything is the same, everything!!!!!!! Shows, scenes, remote operation, network, expansion cards, everything. The ONLY differences are analog circuitry and faders, knobs, buttons and looks.