tall skinny speakers

Re: tall skinny speakers

Yah, I got to hear an original TH412 that sounded REALLY bad at full boogie. They switched to some drivers without that issue shortly after that. I do have to say the TH-Mini's with the stock (B&C) drivers can hold their own against many MI 2x18's, a stoopid amount of SPL comes out of them little boxes when hit with recommended power. I probably should invest in a gym membership rather than new lighter drivers ;)~;-)~:wink: .
Yeah the original drivers in a couple of Danley subs were neo. The noise was masked pretty well when a full system was used-but we changed to ceramic woofers (with a higher power handling) and the noise went away.

There are some neo woofers that have less noise than the originals-but still more than the ceramic. Yes I just tested some in the TH mini last week.

But you would only save about 10lbs-there is still a good bit of wood inside the TH Mini. Not much you can do about that-except go to lighter or thinner wood-and then the strength goes down and vibration goes up. Neither of which is a good thing. But if weight is the most important thing------------------

There are some neo woofers that have less noise than the originals-but still more than the ceramic. Yes I just tested some in the TH mini last week. But you would only save about 10lbs
A reduction from 76 to 66 lbs would be significant for me - I have to lift them up and squeeze them through my car door at the end of the night. OTOH I'd be interested in what a 1/8" reduction in the plywood thickness would do on top of that, another 10 lbs off them would be awesome :)~:)~:smile:. The single handle on top isn't of much use to me :(~:-(~:sad:.

A reduction from 76 to 66 lbs would be significant for me - I have to lift them up and squeeze them through my car door at the end of the night. OTOH I'd be interested in what a 1/8" reduction in the plywood thickness would do on top of that, another 10 lbs off them would be awesome :)~:)~:smile:. The single handle on top isn't of much use to me :(~:-(~:sad:.
But how much performance/sound quality are you willing to lose?

Remember that everything is a tradeoff.

But how much performance/sound quality are you willing to lose? Remember that everything is a tradeoff.
As I'm presently using my 34 lb 2x12 cabs more than the TH-Mini's, quite a lot obviously ;)~;-)~:wink:. With 1200 watts into it, you can still put drinks on the TH-Mini and not worry about them vibrating off - don't think I've even seen ripples. They are WAY overbuilt IMO - I think the plywood thickness is the same as the larger TH cabs?

As I'm presently using my 34 lb 2x12 cabs more than the TH-Mini's, quite a lot obviously ;)~;-)~:wink:. With 1200 watts into it, you can still put drinks on the TH-Mini and not worry about them vibrating off - don't think I've even seen ripples. They are WAY overbuilt IMO - I think the plywood thickness is the same as the larger TH cabs?

All the cabinets are standard 18mm 13 ply baltic birch-except some of the Jericho cabinets that are 24mm thick.

THe less the cabinet vibrates-the more energy that is going out into the air. If the cabinet is vibrating-that is basically energy that is being absorbed by the cabinet and is wasted.

All the cabinets are standard 18mm 13 ply baltic birch-except some of the Jericho cabinets that are 24mm thick. THe less the cabinet vibrates-the more energy that is going out into the air. If the cabinet is vibrating-that is basically energy that is being absorbed by the cabinet and is wasted.
Yup - and in the case of the TH-Mini I guess it was decided that "anything worth doing is worth overdoing" ;)~;-)~:wink: . Seriously, a PRX718S-XLF is easier to carry around, goes as loud, and goes lower - the only reason I went with the TH-Mini's is they had to fit in my small hatchback.

Are you saying 2 "Tall Skinny" speakers will out run 3 4-10 Linear Tapered Array?

Also has anyone heard the RCF new NX-L24a? Similar concept. My RCF rep does not have any to demo but gave me the classic answer of order them and if you do not like them I will let you return them no charge. Would like to know how the NX-L24a sound stacked and how much spl you gain.

Thanks

I have the TTL11 with TTS26 subs

do yourself a favor look elsewhere

way overpriced, the dsp is terrible

an 8 inch array like Aero8A or GeoS8 is way better than the TT

If you want the tall skinny speaker you will probably regret it later

I Googled TTL11 and came up with an RCF product. Design wise it is a different animal than the Ramsdell variety that I'm using.

Now that there are so many companies making these things we need to have 2 or 3 very Smaart people measuring them all and then giving opinions on them the way some other things have been discussed here.

Sorry no charts or graphs but I would love to have a Smaart person in the Tampa-St Pete area step up and tell me exactly what my tired old ears are hearing. The best I can do is let people hear mine when I use them for my band.
Hey Gene! If I still lived down in the Tampa Bay area, I would be glad to give you a hand. As it is, I'm lucky to get down to Clearwater Beach once a year.

Yeah, I take my white Christmas on the white sandy beaches of Clearwater Beach. Snow is nice to visit and all that, but I much prefer the lower latitude. :)~:)~:smile:

I Googled TTL11 and came up with an RCF product. Design wise it is a different animal than the Ramsdell variety that I'm using.

Now that there are so many companies making these things we need to have 2 or 3 very Smaart people measuring them all and then giving opinions on them the way some other things have been discussed here.

"Measuring" can take on very different meanings.

It is one thing to simply measure on axis and get a freq response-that is real easy. But that is only 1 small part of the whole puzzle that even begins to describe the behavior of a loudspeaker.

Where the "issues" start is what happens OFF AXIS. THAT is where the lobes start to show up. Or how well does the rated pattern hold up over freq? THOSE are the things that people don't like to talk about-and are a bit harder to measure-especially compare.

How/where were the measurements taken? It makes a difference. TO what resolution? THAT is a big one. When you are talking narrow vertical coverage (say 10°) you HAVE to measure at least down to 2.5°/ If you don't then there is no way to begin to catch the character of the loudspeaker. 1° would be better-but even 2.5° means a lot of measurements (145 in the vertical plane). You measure ) twice for those that are counting.

The average "measurement person" is simply not setup to do that.

"Measuring" can take on very different meanings.

It is one thing to simply measure on axis and get a freq response-that is real easy. But that is only 1 small part of the whole puzzle that even begins to describe the behavior of a loudspeaker.

Where the "issues" start is what happens OFF AXIS. THAT is where the lobes start to show up. Or how well does the rated pattern hold up over freq? THOSE are the things that people don't like to talk about-and are a bit harder to measure-especially compare.

How/where were the measurements taken? It makes a difference. TO what resolution? THAT is a big one. When you are talking narrow vertical coverage (say 10°) you HAVE to measure at least down to 2.5°/ If you don't then there is no way to begin to catch the character of the loudspeaker. 1° would be better-but even 2.5° means a lot of measurements (145 in the vertical plane). You measure ) twice for those that are counting.

The average "measurement person" is simply not setup to do that.
As usual, Ivan is dead on target.

We have a TT11A and TT26A subs and absolutely love it, the sound quality and coverage is fantastic. The subs for dual 15's are unbelievable in sound and output...everyone that has heard this system is totally blown away...so maybe you have deployed or set up incorrectly. We have used as a mains system as well as stage fills and will continue to use it on many of our events...it is a breeze to set up and deploy.

We have a TT11A and TT26A subs and absolutely love it, the sound quality and coverage is fantastic. The subs for dual 15's are unbelievable in sound and output...everyone that has heard this system is totally blown away...so maybe you have deployed or set up incorrectly. We have used as a mains system as well as stage fills and will continue to use it on many of our events...it is a breeze to set up and deploy.
RCF Dealer, I understand

which version of RDNet are you using?

Ditto. And like John I could choose any number of alternative systems. The TTL11A/TTS26A combo fits what I do perfectly, deploys in minutes and has performed flawlessly.

Ditto. And like John I could choose any number of alternative systems. The TTL11A/TTS26A combo fits what I do perfectly, deploys in minutes and has performed flawlessly.

Well OK then that settles it - dyslexic skinny speaker lovers UNTIE!!!

There needs to be a multi brand skinny speaker get together with all manner of measurement mic and big ears. :lol:

OK - back to the thread that wouldn't die...

Just did a small Art Fest type event with multiple acts on Saturday and Sunday.
I finally had a chance to use 2 per side stacked tall on top of a Faital loaded Ramsdell 2x18 laid down flat on it's side with a pole hole to mount the skinny ones on top of. It was an overwhelming success! All day long performers and audience members alike were commenting on the clarity. During one of the change overs I managed to bump up the volume on a newish Artic Monkeys tune stolen from my kids and they came running over to tell me it was too loud - oops did I do that?! It sounded awesome and now I wanna use this same setup at an event that actually wants some volume. They never came close to running out of gas with bands or sneaky loudish break music.

OK - back to the thread that wouldn't die...

Just did a small Art Fest type event with multiple acts on Saturday and Sunday.
I finally had a chance to use 2 per side stacked tall on top of a Faital loaded Ramsdell 2x18 laid down flat on it's side with a pole hole to mount the skinny ones on top of. It was an overwhelming success! All day long performers and audience members alike were commenting on the clarity. During one of the change overs I managed to bump up the volume on a newish Artic Monkeys tune stolen from my kids and they came running over to tell me it was too loud - oops did I do that?! It sounded awesome and now I wanna use this same setup at an event that actually wants some volume. They never came close to running out of gas with bands or sneaky loudish break music.
I am still curious about how the narrow vertical pattern is achieved with a single driver? Any ideas?