X32 Discussion

Re: Playing around with a sinus tone...

Just a curious question. Those of you with experience with multiple DAW software, is there a particular one that you have found works really well with the X32? I have very little experience with any DAW and right now I have been using Reaper. I was just curious if there is something out there that is "easier" to work with for the beginner user?

I am using it to multi-track record live events via USB right now. At this time I am only recording 16 tracks but in the future I would like to expand that.

I know all DAW's have their pros/cons but I am just curious if there is one that is known for being simple to use.

Thanks,
Jared

Just a curious question. Those of you with experience with multiple DAW software, is there a particular one that you have found works really well with the X32? I have very little experience with any DAW and right now I have been using Reaper. I was just curious if there is something out there that is "easier" to work with for the beginner user?

I am using it to multi-track record live events via USB right now. At this time I am only recording 16 tracks but in the future I would like to expand that.

I know all DAW's have their pros/cons but I am just curious if there is one that is known for being simple to use.

Thanks,
Jared
I've more or less switched from cubase to studioOne for its simplistic, but still mature, workflow. Steinberg sequel is an easy one as well, but is too limited I think.

I still use Ableton Live and I'll look into Bitwig when it's released. I wouldn't call Live easier though.

I wonder what happened to energy/XT and why it wasn't bundled with the x32....?

So I read all these recording threads..... is anyone besides Mr. Boche using this product primarily and predominantly for the task of live sound reinforcement, or did I miss the memo about the necessity of multitrack recording of every bar band in existence?

So I read all these recording threads..... is anyone besides Mr. Boche using this product primarily and predominantly for the task of live sound reinforcement, or did I miss the memo about the necessity of multitrack recording of every bar band in existence?
:D~:-D~:grin:
Being a stay@home dad for the moment I have the time to spend studio time with my x32.

I won't use it for live use until next year and wouldn't have bought the console until later. However since the x32 seemed to have value in the studio as well I got the console now instead.

Re: Recording from Aux In

Please, could you tell us, if Behringer in future is thinking to use (or to implement on DSP patch board) UFX card as insert send and insert return for each channel?
It is due to fact, that we could use VST host on PC, and run De-esser outside X32 and we will stay in digital domain.

Jan Tapak

Hi Jan,

Thanks for the questions you have brought up.

Inserting the XUF send/return per channel:
You actually can do this by selecting all Card inputs on the "home" screen of the ROUTING menu (since by default the Card would already be set to send direct outputs from the mic pres to the computer). This would route the mic signal through the computer before the channel strip, acting like an insert.

Only problem with this you may have noticed is that once you do this you lose control of Mic Preamp gain (because it becomes a digital trim for the card input). Because of this, you would need to set gain and turn on/off phantom power before switching your inputs to "card" on the "home" screen of the ROUTING menu.
I have successfully ran the Waves Multirack host in this way.

Alternatively, if only a few channels are needed you can set the AUX inputs to Card 1-4 on the "home" screen of the ROUTING menu and then insert one of those AUX channels on the "config" screen of any channel or bus.

Our development team is aware of this and we hope to see a better solution soon, one that will allow you to either "insert" a card channel as you suggested or at the least allow you to maintain control of preamp gain when using the method I described above.

De-esser:
May people have brought up having a de-esser on the X32. As Uli has posted, this is coming in a near future firmware upgrade.
In the mean time you may want to consider the following solution:
Each channel compressor can apply a filter on the sidechain signal, so that you can remove sibilance per channel. You could also consider employing the duck function of the gate in a frequency selective way.

I hope it helps.

Best
Joe Sanborn
Manager, Channel Marketing
MUSIC Group
BEHRINGER

I have one installed in a live band club ( fri/sat). The other one will be for me to use for live use as well. Recording is secondary to not required here....

X32 is a Live Sound Console

The two I've got are doing a fine job with our Sunday morning services at my church. Running about 46 inputs into a typical mains, out fills, front fills, subs PA. nothing but smiles all around.

maybe there is less talk on here from us live sound users because the product just simply does what we want it to do, having been specifically designed to do live sound. I do have mine set up to do recording for virtual soundcheck use, but that's just an adjunct to its primary purpose. That being said, I've recorded all 64 tracks at once to my MacBook Pro and it worked brilliantly....

Last edited:

I run live it seems about 1/4 of or.more.are.running. live its pretty sooth Im saying this from switching from analog

We use ours in a church as our FOH mixer. We also use the recording for virtual sound check as well as other post production work. We don't record everything but since the capability is there we would like to use it.

Re: Recording from Aux In

Hi Jan,

Thanks for the questions you have brought up.

Inserting the XUF send/return per channel:
You actually can do this by selecting all Card inputs on the "home" screen of the ROUTING menu (since by default the Card would already be set to send direct outputs from the mic pres to the computer). This would route the mic signal through the computer before the channel strip, acting like an insert.

Only problem with this you may have noticed is that once you do this you lose control of Mic Preamp gain (because it becomes a digital trim for the card input). Because of this, you would need to set gain and turn on/off phantom power before switching your inputs to "card" on the "home" screen of the ROUTING menu.
I have successfully ran the Waves Multirack host in this way.

Alternatively, if only a few channels are needed you can set the AUX inputs to Card 1-4 on the "home" screen of the ROUTING menu and then insert one of those AUX channels on the "config" screen of any channel or bus.

Our development team is aware of this and we hope to see a better solution soon, one that will allow you to either "insert" a card channel as you suggested or at the least allow you to maintain control of preamp gain when using the method I described above.

De-esser:
May people have brought up having a de-esser on the X32. As Uli has posted, this is coming in a near future firmware upgrade.
In the mean time you may want to consider the following solution:
Each channel compressor can apply a filter on the sidechain signal, so that you can remove sibilance per channel. You could also consider employing the duck function of the gate in a frequency selective way.

I hope it helps.

Best
Joe Sanborn
Manager, Channel Marketing
MUSIC Group
BEHRINGER

Hi Joe,

Thank you a lot for this information.
Thank you a lot in advance that your team is working on changes for card to work as send/insert. I look forward for new firmware updates.

According your info, it means the inputs can work as send/insert for FUX card configuration 32/32 at this moment? I could use VST host on PC, and run De-esser outside X32 and we will stay in digital domain.
The steps should be as following for routing configuration?:
1st: to do sound check and setup gain and Phantom power for mic.
2nd: setup in the Routing -> card out -> Expansion Card Output 1-8, then also 9-16, then 17-24, the 25-32.
3rd: setup in the Routing -> home -> inputs -> Card 1-8, then also 9-16, then 17-24, then 25-32.
Is this correct?

Jan Tapak

I use the x32 exlusively for live sound. Occasionally i use the USB-Recorder for analysis and self-control for me and the bands.
Basically, i have no more wishes and am very happy with this equipment.

Re: Live or recording?

My belief is that most of us have bought it primarily for live use, and that recording is either secondary or an integral part of that live use. I record when I have the time to set it up, partly because my "employer" want me to, partly because it is helpful for refining the processing of the various voices I work with.
And who knows, maybe I'll use it in the studio.

Re: Live or recording?

+1 with Walter and Per.
I use mine for live work. I've always recorded a 2 track feed from the desk for reference after the event. Having the recorder in the desk saves carting around a CF drive in a rack case. :)~:)~:smile:
I will admit to using the multitrack recording facility for a few gigs.
Handy, I suppose, but not the reason I bought the desk. It's always been a secondary consideration.
Mind you, it's opened up as a new service I can charge customers for...

Karl.

Hey everyone
I'm using my X32 for live band in Church and we also do shows for old age homes. I do a multitrack recording with my laptop into Reaper everytime, not just because the desk can do it but for reference for the band for improvement and I then dump the multitrack audio into Sonar in my studio where I can do further editing and cut a finalized cd for church members or anyone who wants a copy of the show.
The console is really amazing and sounds awesome. (I've been using Yamaha digital desk before.......I'm selling it) :)

Andre

Me too, I am questioning the tread but I think that the board is so intuitive, for live mixing, you do not get into all this issues ... I am also using the X32 99% for live application and sometimes for ligth show to tease the lighting crew !!

Me too, I am questioning the tread but I think that the board is so intuitive, for live mixing, you do not get into all this issues ... I am also using the X32 99% for live application and sometimes for ligth show to tease the lighting crew !!

Thanks, Othmane and others. I was starting to wonder if the live users were either complacent, satisfied, or significantly in the minority when compared to the number of DAW interface posts that have recently come up.

Users, particularly in other geographic regions, continue to enlighten and surprise me with the way they use new technology implementations. I am also taken aback by some of the expectations from users, too.... someone recently asked, "What do you expect for US$3,000?" It's apparent that some users expect $50,000+ feature sets.

We're still looking at the X32 and where in our current business model it might fit in. So far, it doesn't. But our business model is not static and we're looking at a couple of markets that require a much more modest capital investment to be profitable. If we can foresee sufficient work in those markets, the X32 is on a very short list of mixers.

Thanks for reaffirming that this is still a live sound forum.

Re: X32 Discussion

Done 3 pretty varied and intensive shows with varying monitor requirements and radically different music styles....from straight on Bluegrass, a Kiss Tribute and a frantic party band with 6 vocal mics.
Overall I am very pleased with,
1. The overall sound of the console. It sounds full and robust to me.
2. The FX sound great. I used 4 send/ return FX and inserted the Wave Designer on kick/snare channels.
3. The comps, while lacking an auto setting sound very good and with the sidechain filter can be made to behave well in many cases.
4. The metering is very easy to see and use. The board overall is VERY easy to see which matters to me a lot as I am severely visually challenged. Kind of like iPhone text...small but crisp and my eyes can read them.
5. 2track instant recording is just plain convenient and cool.
6. That I can offer multitrack recording on a whim is added value for my clientele.
7. DCAs are a must. Can't imagine having a digital console without them.

Cons..
Wish USB stick could play different kinds of files. I realize sample rate is a fixed thing.
Need EQ on FX returns.
Would like bypass button on FX edit screen.

More later

Re: X32 discussion

Thanks, Othmane and others. I was starting to wonder if the live users were either complacent, satisfied, or significantly in the minority when compared to the number of DAW interface posts that have recently come up.

Users, particularly in other geographic regions, continue to enlighten and surprise me with the way they use new technology implementations. I am also taken aback by some of the expectations from users, too.... someone recently asked, "What do you expect for US$3,000?" It's apparent that some users expect $50,000+ feature sets.

We're still looking at the X32 and where in our current business model it might fit in. So far, it doesn't. But our business model is not static and we're looking at a couple of markets that require a much more modest capital investment to be profitable. If we can foresee sufficient work in those markets, the X32 is on a very short list of mixers.

Thanks for reaffirming that this is still a live sound forum.

Yes we want $50,000+ feature sets because it is possible, the X32 has such a high volume that they can put a lot of man-hours into the firmware and the software at a modest per unit cost. And because Uli and his crew is aiming to offer firmware upgrades that will take the X32 further, we are requesting things that might only be available on expensive consoles today, but nevertheless useful for those of us that could never afford or justify a $50,000 board.
In a way, it is a bit unfair to brand it a $3,000 mixer, because that price is governed by the fact that Uli expect to sell a lot of them. Any "pro gear manufacturer" building the exact same console using the very same parts would be charging a lot more because of lower expected sales and less efficient production.