X32 Discussion

Re: X Control v0.91

Hi Chaps,
I wish you nice time in this Christmas time and wish you all the best within whole year 2013.
Xcontrol v0.91:
I am preparing scenes in PC for next event for two X32s and I found out.
Changing the Insert position and Dynamic position in Channel strip sheet Home is not working properly for me. Work around is to write down in “Home” sheet , „PRE“ or „POST“ and press Enter.
For Insert, there is second work around: in the „Config“ sheet left mouse click on the arrow Pre or Post.

Dear Behringer Chaps, I wish you all the best within whole year 2013.
Please, could you check it and make it the same as in version 0.7?

Jan Tapak

If your mouse has a wheel you're OK, just point and spin the wheel.

Re: crossover in the desk

Presuming the CAT5 you speak of is from an S16, if you really want to control your crossover from FoH, why not move your crossover to FoH and use some inputs on the X32 directly routed to outputs on the S16 to get the signal processed signal to your amps? Then you get your proper limiting from your processor, proper crossover, you don't have to recreate all your presets in the X32, and you don't have to worry about all the very valid concerns that have been brought up?
I'm not too keen to shoot down ideas, but you are introducing the same vulnerability to scene recall and reset patch changes that you would have when using the X32 to perform the functions on its own. Limiting will be vulnerable to level changes, and you'll be vulnerable to the power up/down/reset pop.

Monitor outs - must be something simple.

Wonder if anyone can point me in the right direction!

Ok have had and used the x32 for some time now - but until today have not connected anything to the monitor/control room outs - all monitring being by phones.

Well do not seem to be able to get any output from either the xlr outs or the TRS -Jack outs - tried both
Have tested the monitor amp with a different input source and that seems to work OK.
On the monitor page the the level is set to 0.0db and there is no dim.
Routing out seems to be OK - Monitor to Monitor L and R - they are set at post fader - but faders up as can hear through the H/Phones
On the meters page a healthy signal on monitor meter

Oh and all cables tested

Is there something simple I am missing ( just hope not a fault - 'cos of the inconvenience)

Many thanks

Nick

Re: Monitor outs - must be something simple.

You have turned up the monitor level above the headphone level and your source is correctly selected?

Hi Per,

thanks for getting back

yes turned up the monitor level - the source is LR AFL - which is coming through the phones OK and have just changed it to PFL - which again through the phones its Ok but nowt out monitors. Have also tried connecting some active speakers to the control room outs but no joy.

Is there any difference between routing for the phones and the control room outs ( except both have separate gain pots)? otherwise it looks like it may be a fault - simply cannot remember whether I checked the monitor outs when I got it checked most things and have used most - looks like I didn't - unless something became accidently disconnected when behringer rectified the channel 16 and 32 noise fault!

ho hum andy ideas?

Nick

also have tried re-initialising the console ( and a reboot) - running out of ideas

ho hum!

S16 vs. traditional analog snake

Hi guys!
I came to ask guide from u. I need to buy new snake. I'm just confused what to buy: digital S16 or traditional analog snake 32/8. I'm ordering X32 at same time.

I understand the easiness of S16. I'm just thinking why to buy other preamp stage box as I have exactly same preamps at X32, right? I have no need for S16 midi. Of course it would be nice to use cat5/6 as cable. S16 is just another electronics at chain and if it brokes down at gig... I have no backup.

...but: With same money I get traditional 30metrs long 32/8 analog snake with cable drum. Weights like hell but is quite a reliable. Few broken channels and I can get thru the gig somehow.

Am I missing something? Why should I buy S16 instead of analog snake?

Any thoughts, advice?

-J-

Ok looks like a fault - a connection or the pot -

I have routed the monitor left to aux 1 out and monitor right to aux 2 out and coming out re monitor amp so internal routing etc looks ok - it is just getting out via the monitor outs / gain control which is the problem ##b...ger!

Re: S16 vs. traditional analog snake

For some of us who already have a perfectly good multicore, then the benefits are mild. I was ordering the S16s I'd planned for and had the same question - I ordered just one when I planned for two originally. If you were looking for a touring system then the weight of the multi trunk would be a great reason to dump it from the buying equation - and I find that although big multis in some venues are fine, others, like the one I'm currently in have a tortuous route for it to follow needing ladders, lots of straps and huge amounts of effort to install. A small single cable would be sooo much easier, so I can see for people intending to tour, the benefits easily outweigh the cost. If your use doesn't cause grief with a chunky multi - then why not carry on. You could argue a reliability improvement too, the downside just seems to be the size and weight.

I looked up the price of the I-Tech amps recommended as a solution to my need to control the crossovers out front, and note that they actually cost more than the X32. Perhaps a mismatch in levels?

Hi Paul,

Look at my earlier post. I bought the behringer inuke amps with built in dsp. They have all the crossover built in and you can control them easily via usb and pc. They work like a charm, are affordable and very lightweight. I run them with my jbl speakers and they sound great.

Hi guys!
I came to ask guide from u. I need to buy new snake. I'm just confused what to buy: digital S16 or traditional analog snake 32/8. I'm ordering X32 at same time.

I understand the easiness of S16. I'm just thinking why to buy other preamp stage box as I have exactly same preamps at X32, right? I have no need for S16 midi. Of course it would be nice to use cat5/6 as cable. S16 is just another electronics at chain and if it brokes down at gig... I have no backup.

...but: With same money I get traditional 30metrs long 32/8 analog snake with cable drum. Weights like hell but is quite a reliable. Few broken channels and I can get thru the gig somehow.

Any thoughts, advice?

-J-

The size/weight comparison can be viewed several ways: cubic volume - does an S16 and 2 runs of robust cat6, in case(s) take up less/more/about the same space? Or weight: cased up, what is the weight difference? Does weight per meter of cable affect your ability to route the cable where it needs to go, as Paul Johnson mentions? Do you foresee times when cable routing would require more than a 30m length? The S16 can give you 100m of distance. If you have to route around the perimeter of a ballroom or go over doors, a longer snake is beneficial.

Do you have existing consoles or signal distribution that currently utilize analog multi-core? Would you benefit from using this new analog snake with them?

In your comparison I notice you mention an S16 is about the same cost as a 32 ch. snake. If you need more than 16 inputs you'll be adding another S16. That's another US$900.

You will have to sort out which factors are important to you, how you can recover the costs of "premium" services or products, and you need to look at what your clients expect and your competitors are doing.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

Any thoughts, advice?

-J-

Apart from the weight and convenience, not really much benefit at all if it is either or. When I got the X32, I obviously still had my old equipment including several multicores, and the S16 was just an extra cost for a small gain in convenience and setup time.
The last show we were doing was using 40 inputs, if we had another guest performing, I would have been running out of channels, but the S16 would have saved the day, giving me an extra set of inputs that would be just a scene-change away. Obviously I would still be limited for the number of simultanous inputs.
Convenience and versatility......but you would still need an analog multi to take full advantage.

As someone else pointed out earlier, another advantage of having the S16 on stage is to place the A/D conversion closer to the signal source. Think of those weak microphone signals not having to travel the extra 100 feet or more to get to the console.

I did spot it Juergen - and they're quite interesting - and certainly something for the future maybe. The snag is, I would need quite a few to swap out for perfectly good amps, so cost is still an issue - and I'm just considering what I can do without spending ANY more money. I'd not, however, seen these before.

One benefit of a traditional snake is not have to worry about the limitations of patching in 8's.

With only a pair of S16's, a single mic source that has to be patched in at FOH requires an entire block of 8 channels, reducing you to only 24 channels being available to route from the stage. I prefer having wireless mics patched in at FOH so that channel can easily be changed, reception and diversity easily monitored, etc., so it's fairly easy to imagine.

What could be done to mitigate this sort of situation?
--Patch into the aux returns, but they don't have the same capabilities as a regular channel. Plus, if you have more than 6 FOH inputs, you're back in the same boat again.
--Get an eight channel snake (or 7 really long mic cables).
--Run smaller gigs.

Last edited:
Re: New Firmware - no read-only scenes

It seems that my request for read-only scenes has not been implemented into the new firmware. I think this is a great pity, and it will mean that I won't be able to spec an X32 for one of my venues. Their new console will probably have to be a boring old 01V-96!:roll:

I would like to hear from Mr. Behringer, if possible, or someone else involved in these decisions, as to why they don't think this is important.

Thanks,
Mick Berg.

In reference to this, I would ask anyone who feels that there should be protected scenes, to post a request on this forum. We know that the Behringer folks listen to us here, and maybe if we make enough noise something will happen.

(Mods, I hope I'm not out of line here???)

Thanks,
Mick Berg.