X32 Discussion

X-Control Channel Bank Selection Behavior

Hello all.

I just started using X-Control at our studio (1.11 console firmware & .91 X-Control). Everything is working great, but I noticed that when I select a channel bank using X-control, the console bank select does not reflect this. As an example, if the console has the 1-16 bank selected, and I switch to bank 17-32 using X-Control, the console still shows bank 1-16. Any changes that I make on 17-32 using X-control actually do take place on the console, but I can't see the changes unless I manually select 17-32 on the console.

Is this behavior normal or am I missing a setting somewhere?

Thanks,

Jim

Re: X-Control Channel Bank Selection Behavior

when I select a channel bank using X-control, the console bank select does not reflect this.

Jim -- I believe this is a configuration option in XControl. Click SETUP and go to the "global" tab. There is an option there that turns presentation mode on and off. I believe that is what controls the behavior you are seeing.

-- Mitch

Jim -- I believe this is a configuration option in XControl. Click SETUP and go to the "global" tab. There is an option there that turns presentation mode on and off. I believe that is what controls the behavior you are seeing.

-- Mitch

Wow! That was quick. Thanks Mitch. That makes sense. I'll give it a try tomorrow.

Jim

Wow! That was quick. Thanks Mitch. That makes sense. I'll give it a try tomorrow.

Jim

I just tried this, and am finding the same thing Jim sees, whether in presentation mode or not. If I hit a 'select' button on the console, the XControl UI follows suit, but if I select in XControl, the console does not follow. Seems as though it may be a bug.... Presentation mode does allow whatever happens on the console itself to be mirrored in XControl, as buttons are pressed and screens switched.

Don

If the console mirrored XControl, that would be a bug. While it could be a gimmic to remote control the console as such, the remote control is not for remote controlling the console, but remote controlling the functions within the console, like running a monitor mix without disturbing the foh working with the main mix.
Presentation mode is just that, for putting what you do at the console up on screen.

Re: Dynamic Automation

Occasionally I have posted saying it would be good if some form of dynamic automation was incorporated to allow mixdown of recordings using the full facilities of the X32 - EQ, Dynamics and effects.

"Thinking aloud" This may be problematic to implement on the desk itself but not impossible. But I was thinking could it be implemented using the Xcontrol - i.e arm channels for recording here and then record the OSC data (with time stamps/parameter) for playback. There is however the issue of aligning playback of audio to sync with this - which would mean some form of transport control to start the audio and automation file in sync - mmhhh on second thoughts maybe easier to do within the X32 - say a separate screen to arm the channels for recording/playback and transport ( via the USB/Firewire card interface)- maybe recording the OSC data to a USB stick.

Would just love to see it incorporated somehow !

Let me do some thinking out loud along those lines.
X32 sends all movements by osc to the computer.
OSC can be recorded or translated to midi in the computer.
Midi can be recorded in most daws along with audio.

Re: Dynamic Automation

So, just had a few hours to connect my laptop and play with the mixer one of my clients just bought from thomann (with thomann case)

Everything looked good, couldn't find any defects, although my inspection was very, very superficial. The lighting was quite dark, but the upside to that test, is that I could easily enough find everything. I had the manual open on my laptop, but wanted to see how intuitive it was to poke around. I already had some time on xcontrol, so was not totally new with the design philosophy. The only thing that tripped me up was expecting to find the signal generator under utility or setup, but I suppose it is reasonable enough to find it through the talkback menu. I'Ve only ever used 01vs and ls9s before, so if talk back menus in other more capable desks are the standard place to find signal generator, now I know where to look. The firmware had ot be updated to match the xcontrol software, but that is as easy as turning the desk on with the new firmware at root folder of usb stick. I did get confused getting the mixer and laptop talking to each other, but IT is something I often fuck up with.

This was just a look and feel test. The PA shows up tomorrow for a dj night, and the bands arrive monday.

Wow. Felt really nice. Design is leagues above what I'm used to. Everything felt solid. Everything look liked it should to me. Nothing was plugged in or out, so I wont be able to comment on that next week. Today just about feeling comfortable and thinking about routing for monday. I have 2 very different bands. One with around 8 musicians (60s beat), the other performance with 2 3 piece psychedelic/kraut outfits playing with and against each other. I'Ve never played with groups or dcas, but assigning 5 dcas for the 2 band jam took more thinking than button pressing. I want to play with some parallel compression, so I'll still get some bus groups going.

However, I could not get Audacity to multitrack. The behringer driver software seemed to be correct, the board routing as well, but I could only select 1 of 4 pairs of in or outputs - no 32 mono inputs, not even 8. Looking up Audacity's forum, multitracking does work with elaborate Motu setups. Searching for Behringer and Audacity unfortunately just brings up some magazine article which has nothing to do with the software. I'd prefer to use Audacity, as it is free and linux is my normal OS, and that it records in small chunks so im not screwed if anything happens while recording, but would give Reaper a test spin. Any tips?

I'm really looking fwd to monday!

ah, something i just thought of: It would be nice if scribble strips could be edited by another tab in the home menu page. However, I will hopefully be editing from the comfort of my laptop, in which case accessing all through the same page isnt so bad

Last edited:
Re: X Control v0.91

Changing the Insert position and Dynamic position in Channel strip sheet Home is not working properly for me. Work around is to write down in “Home” sheet , „PRE“ or „POST“ and press Enter.
For Insert, there is second work around: in the „Config“ sheet left mouse click on the arrow Pre or Post.

There are actually two ways to move it, either by by (previously mentioned) using the wheel on the mouse, or when not using a mouse, hold down the left click and move the pointer sideways (quite a bit, further than you would think)

I have geq on my 3 monitor bus sends & my main output mix. Should these be set as "insert" instead of "effects loop"? What would be the difference?

They are probably on the right side of the effects page yes?, if not, make it so... I would insert them, I have not seen the option to have them as an effects loop?.... Unless this is something in the new firmware update
geq, insert.... No effects in the mons.... It makes for better singers, and proper "pitching", instead of a crutch. It also reduces potential feedback issues.

I have the option of setting them up either way, but from what I read in the manual, insert would be correct. The singers have asked for some efx in the monitors. I suppose I'll let them try them out....

Last edited:

My 3 monitor sends are in bus 1,2,3. How can I route the vocal efx into these?

If you want to send effects to the monitors it is by the same method as you send anything else to the monitors, you use the bus sends, in this instance from the effect returns. Some reverb on the vocals is often quite appreciated, but don't send any delays into the monitors, that tends to be awfully confusing.

I have geq on my 3 monitor bus sends & my main output mix. Should these be set as "insert" instead of "effects loop"? What would be the difference?

Where have you got such a choice? Anyway, eq is allways an insert effect.

Re: New Firmware - no read-only scenes

So I remember reading somewhere about not pushing gain levels as high on a digital board as on an analog. Could someone share some insight, especially as it pertains to the X32?

This is for everyone - Please change the title of your post if it does not concern scene protection. It's important that requests for scene protection be clearly seen by the Behringer staff.

You can do it if you edit your post in "advanced " mode.
Thanks,
Mick Berg.

You don't...

Shane, I can't agree with you on this. Vocalists very often want the reverb back in their monitors. Especially the needy, insecure cabaret-type singers, usually female, (sorry about that ladies) whose monitor engineers often have to double as psychiatrists!
:D~:-D~:grin:

Mick Berg.