X32 Discussion

Re: AES EBU output

My dream is to have an AES 50 to AES/EBU box for connecting the desks with my digital amps for main PA and monitors. With 48 and 96 kHz working with both Behringer and Midas desks. The digital connection to the amp is tonal a big step forward. 1 AES 50 input on the front panel to 16 AES/EBU outs on the back. Thanks for reading.

I agree that would be great, forcing us back to analog in most instances for output is not the best solution. Other solution would be to look at a design where the analog outputs could select analog or digital. Maybe someone at Behringer will pick up on this, if this request was also discusses on the ULI thread
John

Double-Bussing: Subgroup and Stereo = phasing?

I assigned channels to two subgroups (stereo) and strapped the Wave Designer across them. If I only use the subgroup>Stereo, all is good, but if the individual channels are also assigned to Stereo then I get a chorus/phasing sound. Is this normal and due to latency of the routing, or is there something wrong here? Yes, I know I could just leave them unassigned individually and just route through subgroups, but I just find it odd that this occurs.

Re: Double-Bussing: Subgroup and Stereo = phasing?

Try not assigning those individual channels to L/R/mono, I have not messed with the subgroups yet, but I would guess that inserting that effect on the subgroup adds a little latency on just that subgroup, and that would show up as chorusing when mixed in with the direct sound from the channels...

I'd like to insert the Wave Designer across the subgroup that has kick/snare/toms to add some punch. So I did insert the effect in the subgroup.

XiControl on a touchscreen "all-in-one"

Has anyone tried XiControl on a touchscreen PC, windows 8, perhaps one of those newer "all-in-ones" with an HD monitor (1080i)?

I figure, if you ran it sideways, in portrait view, then XiControl would fit the screen width pretty well, and leave room for a touchscreen keyboard and other stuff on the bottom...

I ran it on my Dad's new touchscreen laptop, and the 10 point touch was AWESOME! Only bummer was that the screen was too small to move faders that were next to each other...

Try not assigning those individual channels to L/R/mono, I have not messed with the subgroups yet, but I would guess that inserting that effect on the subgroup adds a little latency on just that subgroup, and that would show up as chorusing when mixed in with the direct sound from the channels...
Plus, it's not advised to send the individuals channel to the L/R/M and the subgroups too, as you'll sum the two signals and this can lead to some master clipping problems

I assigned channels to two subgroups (stereo) and strapped the Wave Designer across them. If I only use the subgroup>Stereo, all is good, but if the individual channels are also assigned to Stereo then I get a chorus/phasing sound. Is this normal and due to latency of the routing, or is there something wrong here? Yes, I know I could just leave them unassigned individually and just route through subgroups, but I just find it odd that this occurs.

What you are experiencing is totally normal and happens with nearly all digital consoles. The two different paths have different latency and so the signals when combined will exhibit this effect.

Re: Exporting Scenes

There is a way, you have to export the show which should not be a problem in any way, then import a single file from the show files. It works around your problem, and shouldn't be any harder to do than importing a show file.
If your scene was scene 32 in myshow, then simply import myshow.032 from the stick just as you would myscene.scn

Yes, thank you, this would work. I had avoided this because the names you assign to scenes don't come through; as you say, it comes through as myshow.032 rather than Big Varmints 032 or whatever, but as long as you have the 032, that's all you need.

It turns out that this saving across consoles from one operator to another doesn't work for operational reasons, and when this festival is over I intend to post about our experiences.

Thanks for your help.

Re: Exporting Scenes

Yes, thank you, this would work. I had avoided this because the names you assign to scenes don't come through; as you say, it comes through as myshow.032 rather than Big Varmints 032 or whatever, but as long as you have the 032, that's all you need.

It turns out that this saving across consoles from one operator to another doesn't work for operational reasons, and when this festival is over I intend to post about our experiences.

Thanks for your help.

Hi Dan-

One of the things Robert Scovill spends time on in his seminars is console management for festivals and other multi-band, multi-set events (I suppose some houses of worship would fit in here). Since he's the go-to guy for Avid/Digidesign, he tends to be Venue-centric, but the concepts of what decisions will hamstring you probably are true across platforms.

Take a look at a couple of the webinars from Avid:

http://www.avid.com/elqNow/elqRedir.htm?ref=http://avid.na3.acrobat.com/p57636990/
http://www.avid.com/elqNow/elqRedir.htm?ref=http://avid.na3.acrobat.com/p80031603/
http://www.avid.com/elqNow/elqRedir.htm?ref=http://avid.na3.acrobat.com/p33947031/

And Dave Rat talking festival sound with Scovi:

http://avid.adobeconnect.com/p191xgxtrv7

I will be interested in hearing your observations from your gig.

Scribble strip fonts

I've noticed that when I enter text to a scribble strip that the font is larger than the default label. (Not just upper/lower case) Anybody know how to change the font size? Smaller fonts allow more characters in the limited space available.

Re: AES EBU output

16 mono or 8 stereo would be enough at the beginning. ;)

For a starting point I would be happy if the Rack version simply had the aes/ebu out that the x32 console does
Going from the digital domain, back to analog to then go back to digital for additional processing etc in certainly not the best way i would think

John

Re: XiControl on a touchscreen "all-in-one"

Has anyone tried XiControl on a touchscreen PC, windows 8, perhaps one of those newer "all-in-ones" with an HD monitor (1080i)?

I figure, if you ran it sideways, in portrait view, then XiControl would fit the screen width pretty well, and leave room for a touchscreen keyboard and other stuff on the bottom...

I ran it on my Dad's new touchscreen laptop, and the 10 point touch was AWESOME! Only bummer was that the screen was too small to move faders that were next to each other...

yes I run xcontrol on a windows 8 touch screen laptop - v small screen. What we need is xcontrol not only be to be resizeable but also to split the screen into resizeable views that can be called up from a drop down menu - so you can view the whole screen or just the parts you need- then it would be great!

Last edited: