X32 Discussion

This is the old fashion approach on a simple analog console.:twisted:

You have matrix outputs available on the X32. I would suggest to use these, but there are several ways of doing it. The real advantage with matrix outputs is that you are more flexible with crossover type of filters available in the eq.

The inclusion of matrices in live mixing consoles is hardly new, nor is it a concept unique to digital consoles... Behringer or otherwise.

That is all.

S16 output problem

Hi folks!

I use 2 S16 - i think - properly linked (X32 AES50-A to first S16 AES50-A, AES50-B to second S16 AES50-A). A microphone connected to channel 1 on the second S16 correctly arrives as A17 in the desk. I set the second S16 to operation mode 2, so the XLR-outs should carry channel 9 to 16 of the AES50 output stream (the led Out+8 is lit).
On the desk I try to send mixbus 3 and 4 to outputs 15 and 16. On the routing tab aes50-a outputs 9-16 are connected to analog out 9-16. But I dont get any output from the second S16!!
With headphones connected to the second S16 I can perfectly monitor the output-stream with selecting A-15 or A-16. But selecting Out-7 or Out-8 delivers silence! What am I missing?

(I also tried other outputs on the second S16 but that didn't change anything)

Here is the scene-file I use (I renamed it to .txt because uploading .scn is vorbidden :(~:-(~:sad:)
View attachment ansgehtimmano.txt

Re: S16 output problem

Hi folks!

I use 2 S16 - i think - properly linked (X32 AES50-A to first S16 AES50-A, AES50-B to second S16 AES50-A). A microphone connected to channel 1 on the second S16 correctly arrives as A17 in the desk. I set the second S16 to operation mode 2, so the XLR-outs should carry channel 9 to 16 of the AES50 output stream (the led Out+8 is lit).
On the desk I try to send mixbus 3 and 4 to outputs 15 and 16. On the routing tab aes50-a outputs 9-16 are connected to analog out 9-16. But I dont get any output from the second S16!!
With headphones connected to the second S16 I can perfectly monitor the output-stream with selecting A-15 or A-16. But selecting Out-7 or Out-8 delivers silence! What am I missing?

Here is the scene-file I use (I renamed it to .txt because uploading .scn is vorbidden :(~:-(~:sad:)
View attachment 6534

Do you mean you have the second S16 connected to the AES50 B port on the X32?

If so, set the S16 to it to mode 1 - ie AES outputs 1-8, and on the X32 routing tab set aes50B outputs 1-8 to be connected to analogue out 9-16.

Hi folks!

View attachment 6534

Hi Andreas,

Dave is correct. You should select Out 9-16 instead out Out 1-8 in the ROUTING>AES50 B>Output 1-8 field, as you are connecting the second S16 to the X32's AES50 B and not to the first S16's B port.

Kind Regards,
Fiona Hammond
CARE EMEA
MUSIC Group
BEHRINGER

Hi Dave,

no, the two S16 are rackmounted, and the second ones A input is connected to the B output of the first S16, which in turn is connected to the x32. Sorry that I didn't make this clear in my first post.

Thanks for your fast reply!

Hi Andreas,

I loaded your show file with the S16's configured as you describe, and couldn't get sound from the S16's outputs 7 & 8 until I opened DCA 1. Can you please check and verify DCA 1 is open?

Kind Regards,
Fiona Hammond
CARE EMEA
MUSIC Group
BEHRINGER

Last edited:

Hi Fiona,

I'm not at the console at this time, but why can I hear the signal on the second S16 when I connect my headphones and choose A-15 or A-16 as monitoring source? If it was a DCA-problem, wouldn't that cancel out the sound at this point too?

But I will check what you suggested when I get back (which - I'm afraid - will take some days)

Thanks for your reply! (Great support - btw)

Hi Fiona,

I'm not at the console at this time, but why can I hear the signal on the second S16 when I connect my headphones and choose A-15 or A-16 as monitoring source? If it was a DCA-problem, wouldn't that cancel out the sound at this point too?

But I will check what you suggested when I get back (which - I'm afraid - will take some days)

I have yet to even see an S16 in person, so I could be way off the mark, but if you "monitor" the incoming signal, it would be pre-fade, and thus pre-DCA. So make sure the channel your trying to hear is not assigned to one.

Hi Chris,

This is not actually the case, it's dependent on the pre/post tap settings in the X32's routing menu. The mix buses in this scene are set to post-fade. Please let us know your findings Andreas.

You're right but it was allways limited to the more expensive consoles, so not targetted on the market the X32 is made for. :)

Allen & Heath had matrices on the GL2400 series almost ten years ago... Analog & targeted at exactly the same market.

This is the point where being overly excited about a "game changing" price point leads those who have limited industry experience to attribute all of the new features (they) have now learned how to utilize to the brilliance of said game changing company.

Be careful not to lose perspective & get caught up in the hype. Behringer deserves credit where it is due, but not for including matrices in my opinion.

I'm glad you're getting the most out of your new console, understanding how to effectively use matrices is an important step in learning how to better direct audio traffic.

Re: X32 Discussion

I am a Newbie concerning the X32. Roaming this forum for a while reading lots of stuff but today i got one. And yeah well trying it out and stuff. Seems like it is in a good state. No manufacture misses on this desk it seems. I love the features of the desk. It does a lot for a low cost desk. However i miss a lot as well. Is there a way to store a show to either USB or internal? If there is i'm not finding it. This is pretty easy on a Yamaha desk. Getting there i find routing easier on a Yamaha desk as well. The latter is not big a deal because the channels are flexible enough but it would make setting it up easier. In a matrix style as Yamaha does it. But i really want to be able to save a show. Not to mention backup the entire mixing desk. I think this is my biggest request for future updates. Forget Smaart i have ears. They can do a excellent job. I want show storing capalities. I work in a venue and i mix lot's of different music. I do not want to depend on presets. I want to work fast and set things up at home. That's the thing i miss. Or maybe i am missing something. How do you guys do that? Xcontrol could use some work as well i think. Some bad findings on a first getting to know the board but important as well. I like the desk and the channel labeling stuff reminds me of POP channels wich is cool. I have yet to do a show with it. So i'm looking forward to that. I also would love more shortcuts like the select button -> utility. Would make the workflow faster is i could use that on mute groups.. And maybe it's me and i don't yet get the logic of the desk.

Hi Fiona,

Hi Andreas,

A local college has one of my X32's for a few weeks for a theatrical show they are doing, and had what sounds like the exact same problem as you, except they had only one S16. They could hear the mix on the headphone output of the S16, but no output on the XLR. They had both the console and the S16 set up exactly correctly, which I verified here on a console and S16.

They did a hard restart of the S16 (power down/power up) and it then worked fine.

Did you try this?

Good luck,
Dan

<snip>Is there a way to store a show to either USB or internal? If there is i'm not finding it.<snip>

Storing a show to USB is very straightforward. When in the scenes view, press UTILITY and then you'll see the option to export show to USB (or to file anywhere when using XControl. Internally, there is only room for the show that is active. Backing up the entire desk including presets is not an option, presets have to be stored individually.

Hi Dan,

yes, we powered both S16 down and up. Unfortunately that didn't make any difference. But we didn't restart the desk. Although I dont think that will help as the mixer sends correct mixes on the expected AES50-streams. I truly think the problem arises in the S16 by not connecting the streams to physical outputs. But who knows?
Will have to try some different things though, like setting the second S16's outputs to 1-8, setting the first S16's outputs to 9-16, changing the connection-order so that the second S16 becomes first and so on.

Thanks from cold Austria

Andreas

Last edited:

Hi Dan,

yes, we powered both S16 down and up. Unfortunately that didn't make any difference. But we didn't restart the desk. Although I dont think that will help as the mixer sends correct mixes on the expected AES50-streams. I truly think the problem arises in the S16 by not connecting the streams to physical outputs. But who knows?
Will have to try some different things though, like setting the second S16's outputs to 1-8, setting the first S16's outputs to 9-16, changing the connection-order so that the second S16 becomes first and so one.

Thanks from cold Austria

Andreas
The "A-#" reading indicates an ADAT channel (not an AES channel) if I'm correct. Check the table on page 10 of the S16 manual. I think you made a routing error.

Last edited:

Storing a show to USB is very straightforward. When in the scenes view, press UTILITY and then you'll see the option to export show to USB (or to file anywhere when using XControl. Internally, there is only room for the show that is active. Backing up the entire desk including presets is not an option, presets have to be stored individually.
Thank you very much. That helps!

The "A-#" reading indicates an ADAT channel (not an AES channel) if I'm correct. Check the table on page 10 of the S16 manual. I think you made a routing error.

Hi Peter,

Providing the unit is configured in normal mode as depicted on page 8 of the S16 user manual (so not in 'splitter mode'), A-x on the display represents signal being fed into the unit via AES50, such as monitor mixes.

Kind Regards,
Fiona Hammond
CARE EMEA
MUSIC Group
BEHRINGER

Hi Peter,

Providing the unit is configured in normal mode as depicted on page 8 of the S16 user manual (so not in 'splitter mode'), A-x on the display represents signal being fed into the unit via AES50, such as monitor mixes.

Kind Regards,
Fiona Hammond
CARE EMEA
MUSIC Group
BEHRINGER

Hi Fiona,

What happens if it's in 'splitter mode'? I've not understood what that means, or been consistently able to avoid putting an S16 in it. Are there negatives from being in splitter mode?

Thanks,
Dan