X32 Discussion

Re: S16 output problem

Hi Peter,

Providing the unit is configured in normal mode as depicted on page 8 of the S16 user manual (so not in 'splitter mode'), A-x on the display represents signal being fed into the unit via AES50, such as monitor mixes.

Kind Regards,
Fiona Hammond
CARE EMEA
MUSIC Group
BEHRINGER
Yes, and 'x' represents the ADAT channel number and not the AES50 channel number. So, Andreas is monitoring AES channel 31 when monitoring A-15 on the S16!

XiControl - L/R/C sends to Matrix bug ?

Hi all,
We received our X32/S16 for our church a week or so ago and so far am loving the features/flexibility.

Last night I was experimenting with XiControl on my iPad and think I've come across a bug.

This can be reproduced in the Offline mode.

Steps:
On the detail view, select Bus 9-16 "section", select SENDS tab and you get 6 faders representing that buses send level to each of the matrices.
If you press the Right arrow button in the bottom left beneath the Bus master fader, you step through each of the buses, stepping past the matrices, you reach MainC, and MainLR each of which have the 6 faders for the send to matrix levels.
All of this is what I expect.

However, if you try try jump to the Sends tab for MainC, and MainLR from anywhere else - you can't (or at least - I can't!) and I would expect you should be able to.
Eg, Press Home, Select the Mtx-Main area, press the Icon above MainLR and you find that you can't select the Sends tab, and therefore you can't set sends to Matrix levels from here.

Can someone test this out please and confirm if it's just me that thinks this is a bug or not!
(Version 2.0.2)

Thanks,

Anthony

Just normal stuff

Today i had my first rundown with the console. Thanks to Per who kindly guided me into how to save and use shows. I'm pretty impressed. I guess the state of the board is stored in scenes and a show is a collection of scenes in a sort of container format. I noticed it makes a file for every scene. Which is cool. I lack a backup funtion still but that may come i hope. I did however find the copy paste function to be not as i expected. So that might make channel presets a big thing for quick operation. Sometime you have several things for a channel that you might copy over to others. Vocals come into mind. These presets are not stored in a show right? Well what if you load another show? Are the presets gone then? And if so can i save presets to an USB? There won't be much just some channel presets. FX i like to tweak on the spot. I didn't have the time to check it. Does it go the same way as saving a show? Sorry for al the questions.

Now for something different. From little i have seen by now the console seems to be too good to be true. I like it a lot. It's rather quick to work with and the user assign section is ... well it makes me smile a lot! This little low priced console packs a punch it's hard to believe. I can feel the Midas input. I think the pre's could have been better but it's more then good enough for it's purpose (they are a bit dull) then again i also think that about the Midas Venice.

I'm still getting to know the console and i think tomorrow will help. I will have to actually work with a large band. Normally i used a Yamaha LS9 for this job but now this baby is gonna do it together with me.

If i have the time i share my findings with you guys. I am a bit exited about really mixing for the first time with the console but it is the best way to get used to it.

What are the best shortcuts? I know in the newer firmware holding select and then utility for scribble editing is very usefull. And DCA selection is exactly as i expect it to be. Mute groups however behave different. I did that on PC because that didn't make sence to me. Subgroups i didn't try yet but what i did see or think i saw that is a per channel operation and if you don't want it (the channel that is for some NY style compression to set an example) directly to the main mix you need to turn LR off. I'm sure this will all be polished of. But i'm very intrested in how people use this.

Loads of questions.. sorry about that. But answers are wel appreciated.

Thanks guys,
Misja

Last edited:
Anyone used the X32 as an interface for Room EQ Wizard?

I was trying to measure my control room with Room EQ Wizard on my Mac, and can't for the kid of me figure out how to get it to see the X32. I know it's a little off topic, but if anyone has successfully used the two together, I'd be grateful for a pointer or two.

Re: Anyone used the X32 as an interface for Room EQ Wizard?

I was trying to measure my control room with Room EQ Wizard on my Mac, and can't for the kid of me figure out how to get it to see the X32. I know it's a little off topic, but if anyone has successfully used the two together, I'd be grateful for a pointer or two.

Did you use USB or Firewire? REW+MAC+Firewire will not work.-->
Gearslutz.com - View Single Post - Problems calibrating sound card on Room EQ wizard

Christian

Re: Just normal stuff

Today i had my first rundown with the console. Thanks to Per who kindly guided me into how to save and use shows. I'm pretty impressed. I guess the state of the board is stored in scenes and a show is a collection of scenes in a sort of container format. I noticed it makes a file for every scene. Which is cool. I lack a backup funtion still but that may come i hope. I did however find the copy paste function to be not as i expected. So that might make channel presets a big thing for quick operation. Sometime you have several things for a channel that you might copy over to others. Vocals come into mind. These presets are not stored in a show right? Well what if you load another show? Are the presets gone then? And if so can i save presets to an USB? There won't be much just some channel presets. FX i like to tweak on the spot. I didn't have the time to check it. Does it go the same way as saving a show? Sorry for al the questions.

Now for something different. From little i have seen by now the console seems to be too good to be true. I like it a lot. It's rather quick to work with and the user assign section is ... well it makes me smile a lot! This little low priced console packs a punch it's hard to believe. I can feel the Midas input. I think the pre's could have been better but it's more then good enough for it's purpose (they are a bit dull) then again i also think that about the Midas Venice.

I'm still getting to know the console and i think tomorrow will help. I will have to actually work with a large band. Normally i used a Yamaha LS9 for this job but now this baby is gonna do it together with me.

If i have the time i share my findings with you guys. I am a bit exited about really mixing for the first time with the console but it is the best way to get used to it.

What are the best shortcuts? I know in the newer firmware holding select and then utility for scribble editing is very usefull. And DCA selection is exactly as i expect it to be. Mute groups however behave different. I did that on PC because that didn't make sence to me. Subgroups i didn't try yet but what i did see or think i saw that is a per channel operation and if you don't want it (the channel that is for some NY style compression to set an example) directly to the main mix you need to turn LR off. I'm sure this will all be polished of. But i'm very intrested in how people use this.

Loads of questions.. sorry about that. But answers are wel appreciated.

Thanks guys,
Misja

Hi Misja,
Glad you are enjoying the console!

We did an "X32 Tech Talk" that goes over everything related to Scene Management, which you might find useful:
BEHRINGER TECH TALK 04: X32 Scene Management

In regards to Mute Groups:
1. To assign/remove a channel from a Mute Group, press the MUTE GRP button near the screen. You will know you are in edit mode when the MUTE GRP button lights and the 6 Mute Groups appear on the 6 rotary encoders.
2. Now press and hold one of the 6 Mute Group buttons you wish to use and simultaneously press the select button of the channel/bus you wish to add/remove to that Mute Group.
3. When complete, press the MUTE GRP button again to to reactivate the dedicated Mute Group buttons on the X32.
4. Your Mute Groups are ready to use.

I hope it helps.

Best Regards,
Joe Sanborn
Manager, Channel Marketing
MUSIC Group
BEHRINGER

Hi Misja,
Glad you are enjoying the console!

We did an "X32 Tech Talk" that goes over everything related to Scene Management, which you might find useful:
BEHRINGER TECH TALK 04: X32 Scene Management

In regards to Mute Groups:
1. To assign/remove a channel from a Mute Group, press the MUTE GRP button near the screen. You will know you are in edit mode when the MUTE GRP button lights and the 6 Mute Groups appear on the 6 rotary encoders.
2. Now press and hold one of the 6 Mute Group buttons you wish to use and simultaneously press the select button of the channel/bus you wish to add/remove to that Mute Group.
3. When complete, press the MUTE GRP button again to to reactivate the dedicated Mute Group buttons on the X32.
4. Your Mute Groups are ready to use.

I hope it helps.

Best Regards,
Joe Sanborn
MUSIC Group
BEHRINGER

Hi Joe,

Thanks for that. I understand the scene management and it's safe states. It's comparable to other boards so that's okay for me.

The Mute GRP assigning is usefull to me however. But why not make it the same operation as assigning DCA's? It seems more logic to have constinence workflow. Well i will get used to it anyways.

Thank you,

Misja

The Mute GRP assigning is usefull to me however. But why not make it the same operation as assigning DCA's?

You could have it so holding the mute button for 3 seconds, then lights the selected channels for the group, acting just like the DCA's, and a quick hit of the button activates or deactivates the group. So not a horrible idea. But I'm guessing it could lead to mistakes which would be horrible to happen live. Imagine the vocals accidentally getting muted and then you panic to find out why.

Hi Joe,

Thanks for that. I understand the scene management and it's safe states. It's comparable to other boards so that's okay for me.

The Mute GRP assigning is usefull to me however. But why not make it the same operation as assigning DCA's? It seems more logic to have constinence workflow. Well i will get used to it anyways.

Thank you,

Misja

Hi,

I agree with Chris that having Mute Group assignments as a 2-step process can prevent killing mics during a show by accident.
Mute Groups are usually something that I would setup before a show. During the show, I want to know that I am changing the Mute Assign not muting anything by accident.

I tend to use Mute Groups on a rock band as follows:
Mute Group 1 = ALL DRUMS
Mute Group 2 = ALL BASS GTR
Mute Group 3 = ALL GTR
Mute Group 4 = ALL KEYS
Mute Group 5 = ALL Vocals
Mute Group 6 = ALL FX RETURN CHANNELS

I like the instrument Mute groups for groups of instruments during sound check.

During the show, Mute Group 8 is right near my right hand so I can mute all FX real quickly so the lead singer can talk to the audience without reverb and/or delay on their mic.

I hope it helps.

Best Regards,
Joe Sanborn
MUSIC Group
BEHRINGER

Last edited:

Hello,

I can see the danger in making it too easy to assign mute groups. So i kinda like the suggestion made by Chris. Another way of doing it would be holding select (either channel or bus) and then push the desired mute groep. That would make operating it very fast. Joe, you are aware there are only 6 mute groups on the X32 right? ;)

I use mute groups slightly different. FX that are on vocals get muted via the bus sends. That way i aux mute the fx leaving it's tail intact. I find that slightly more elegant.

Mute group 1 = all music
Mute group 2 = all vocals
Mute group 3 = spare
Mute Group 4 = Kill all monitors
Mute group 5 = mute bus send for delay
Mute group 6 = mute all bus send for reverbs that contain vocal effects.

Well as i said i can get used to the way it's assigned now so no biggie. Just a suggestion.

Kind regards,
Misja

Last edited:
X32 Webinar Wireless Control XiControl/XiQ/XControl

Hi Guys,

Topic:
X32 Wireless Control XiControl/XiQ/XControl
Join us for a Webinar on April 10
Space is limited.
Reserve your Webinar seat now at:
https://www4.gotomeeting.com/register/233287575
In this fun and informative Webinar we will be going over all aspects of setting up wireless control of the BEHRINGER X32 via XiControl, XiQ and XControl.
Title:X32 Wireless Control XiControl/XiQ/XControl
Date:Wednesday, April 10, 2013
Time:12:00 PM - 1:00 PM PDT
After registering you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the Webinar.

Hope you can make it!

Best Regards,
Joe Sanborn
MUSIC Group
BEHRINGER

Last edited:
Re: S16 output problem

Hi,

yesterday I had time to check all your tipps. I powered everything, didn't change anything, and it all worked as expected!
It was the first time we used the X32 with our S16 in our brand new rehearsal room/studio, when we encountered the problems. And beeing the lead singer of the band I had not much time to check everything. (And after rehearsal we had to celebrate) I also remember loosing the network connection once (I used my laptop to control the desk over WiFi), so maybe this was the point when something got out of sync in some way.

Here are some impressions from our new rehearsal room, which is built in an ancient cellar (the arch is probably 17th century):

20130408_183946[1].jpg
We already planned ethernet connections between control room (the door in the back) und the "live-room" (see the cable channel on the right side) before we even new that we would buy X32 and S16. Now this cabling comes in handy!

20130408_184037[1].jpg
The rack with two S16 on top of an amplifier for "old fashioned" floor wedges. (We already own two P16Ms, and more are on order)
The S16 are plugged into the cable-channel below. Works like a charm!

20130408_184015[1].jpg
A drum-set and some keyboards

20130408_183206[1].jpg
A gaze into the "control room". We also plan to do demos here.

So the X32 isn't only for churches, theatres and hiring companies, but also useful and affordable for no-name bands like we are! (We call us "ansgehtimmano" which is austrian dialect for the german words "eins geht immer noch", which means something like "one more (beer) will surely be fine!")

As nearly all band members also play in other fomations, the desk already served as FOH and for monitoring serveral times. The technicians who used them (some beeing audio-engineers for the biggest austrian radio and television company) were all impressed by the eas of use, the build-quality and the amount of what you get by the money. I think they lost their reservation on the brand ...

We truly love our new desk!

Noise in Monitor Outs

So....It's been a while, and some discussion and analysis has been done...
Is there any information on how to fix the issue of noise in the monitor outputs yet?

Thanks
Pauly

Re: Noise in Monitor Outs

To Quote Uli on Linkedin

"Up for a BIG surprise? Watch out for the opening of the Frankfurt PL&S show as we have a huge gift in store for all X32 users. "

Any speculation as to what he is talking about ??

Kev

To Quote Uli on Linkedin

"Up for a BIG surprise? Watch out for the opening of the Frankfurt PL&S show as we have a huge gift in store for all X32 users. "

Any speculation as to what he is talking about ??

Kev

A signed photo of Uli with the X32 family :razz:

- A daw that utilizes the whole X32 surface would be nice, and since Uli was hinting that it was relevant to the studio crowd, I would guess daw or recording suite. Hoping such a thing will be offering a new level of integration compared to what most of us already have, but not holding my breath.

- 96KHz mode would be huge-ish for studio users, at least for some

- V2 with SMAART and pitch correction will be a big thing to grab some headlines, allthough I can't see that much of a use for it except for the coolness factor and the misuse.;)~;-)~:wink:

- On board 32 channel recording card, that would be huge for some.

- Everything on my wishlist, but I can't see that happening :roll:

- None of the above

Maybe an X32 control surface. Combine that with the X32 rack and i see a powerful combo.

In my case I would like to connect it to a regular X32 via wifi and preferable also on battery power. But if they make it smart that shouldn't be a problem I think.

Put this remote on FOH position, and you have an easy to remove remote in case of beer throwing, or in the case you can't easily place cables to the FOH position, this could also be a solution.
I can understand you need quite some battery capacity, but why not...

So....It's been a while, and some discussion and analysis has been done...
Is there any information on how to fix the issue of noise in the monitor outputs yet?

Thanks
Pauly

This has been officially recognized by Behringer. I called Chase McKnight in the Las Vegas service center and confirmed they are performing repairs on units that are affected by the monitor noise. Not all units are affected but if you do have an issue contact your local Behringer support.

Greg