X32 Discussion

Re: X32 Wins MIPA Award

I'm suggesting that any "contest" that puts a Honda Civic and an 18-wheeler together as competitors is pretty silly. I have no doubt the X32 is a fine product, and am actually quite grateful for its presence in the market and the pressure it is putting on other manufacturers, but anyone who thinks that the X32 is in any way comparable to the SD5 is kidding themselves.

I'm going to start a contest where I enter myself, Tiger Woods, Bruce Willis, and Warren Buffet. I will then declare myself the winner, because I have the cleanest fridge.

First of all, it wasn't Behringer declaring themselves the winner, it was a vote representing a lot of publications and thus probably a lot of users.
You would probably say it would be hillarious if an unknown young actor in a low budget film won an Oscar in competition with big names like Willis and Cruise, wouldn't you? My guess is you would think that was allright, so why not accept this vote? We know that "best" is not synonymous with "quality" in this context, it is synonymous with popularity, and to pretend that it could ever be different in a competition that relies on a vote is just kidding yourself and those around you.
Of course the X32 is comparable to an SD5, they are both digital mixing consoles for mixing sound are they not? What isn't comparable? Any features or numbers that you can't compare?
Comparing a mixer to a meat grinder would be silly, comparing two mixers not so much.
Do you think the SD5 is better and should have won? I would imagine that would be hard to state if the two products were not comparable????

First of all, it wasn't Behringer declaring themselves the winner, it was a vote representing a lot of publications and thus probably a lot of users.
You would probably say it would be hillarious if an unknown young actor in a low budget film won an Oscar in competition with big names like Willis and Cruise, wouldn't you? My guess is you would think that was allright, so why not accept this vote? We know that "best" is not synonymous with "quality" in this context, it is synonymous with popularity, and to pretend that it could ever be different in a competition that relies on a vote is just kidding yourself and those around you.
Of course the X32 is comparable to an SD5, they are both digital mixing consoles for mixing sound are they not? What isn't comparable? Any features or numbers that you can't compare?
Comparing a mixer to a meat grinder would be silly, comparing two mixers not so much.
Do you think the SD5 is better and should have won? I would imagine that would be hard to state if the two products were not comparable????
Whatever, Dude. Have you ever looked up an SD5? It's not that it's better; it's not comparable. Totally different markets, totally different capabilities. The fact that they are both digital mixers is where the similarity ends.

As to the legitimacy of the "contest", did you get to vote? I didn't. What criteria did they use to judge? Obviously not capability. Number of units sold - maybe.

Using power conditioner with X32

Guys I have a quick question for you. I still don't have a UPS to use with my X32, and so far I haven't had much of an issue, other than the board resetting when I boot my amps. Still not sure if I will invest in one as I have been doing less and less gigs recently. I also carry a Mixwizard as backup in case I'm in a situation where the board simply won't work. (Though at that point I doubt if even using the mixwiz would work).

I have a cheaper Furman unit, M8L I believe, which has a volt meter. My question is, do I gain anything by using it with the X32? Is it better then just going straight into the wall? Would the volt meter tell me to be concerned in some situation? What kind of protection is built into the x32 if any? Power surges?

Thanks for any insight. I'm using the board tonight in a new venue for the first time in a month and a half and I'm just very nervous about it.

Re: Using power conditioner with X32

Guys I have a quick question for you. I still don't have a UPS to use with my X32, and so far I haven't had much of an issue, other than the board resetting when I boot my amps.

The fact that the board seems to react to the voltage dip when the amps are turned on tells you something......or should tell you something.

Still not sure if I will invest in one as I have been doing fewer and fewer gigs recently.

Corrected the "less/fewer" issue......

I also carry a Mixwizard as backup in case I'm in a situation where the board simply won't work. (Though at that point I doubt if even using the mixwiz would work).

The Wiz will tolerate voltage fluctuations better than a digital desk which reads drops/spikes as some kind of rogue command.

I have a cheaper Furman unit, M8L I believe, which has a volt meter. My question is, do I gain anything by using it with the X32? Is it better then just going straight into the wall?

Do you gain anything/is it better? Not so much. It gives you more outlets for FOH and a modicum of surge protection, but not much more.

Would the volt meter tell me to be concerned in some situation? What kind of protection is built into the x32 if any? Power surges?

The meter will give you a gross representation of line voltage but will not show the fluctuations which may effect some digital gear. Surge protection only.

Thanks for any insight. I'm using the board tonight in a new venue for the first time in a month and a half and I'm just very nervous about it.

What you want is a line regulator such as the Furman AR1215 or 1217 (model #'s from memory, may not be accurate). I have not lost any gear or suffered digital gear performance anomalies since incorporating line regulation @ FOH.

UPS units (the more quality/pricey ones) will incorporate voltage regulation as part of their function. But the primary function is probably to prevent console re-boots during a show due to power issues.

I myself would include line regulation for any low to mid level digital gear and full UPS/regulation on big show consoles.......as if I'd ever be in that situation.....

Whatever, Dude. Have you ever looked up an SD5? It's not that it's better; it's not comparable. Totally different markets, totally different capabilities. The fact that they are both digital mixers is where the similarity ends.

As to the legitimacy of the "contest", did you get to vote? I didn't. What criteria did they use to judge? Obviously not capability. Number of units sold - maybe.

"14th mipa - Musikmesse International Press Award 2013
Every year on the occasion of the Musikmesse and Prolight + Sound, journalists from over 100 trade magazines from around the world choose the best products of the musical instrument and professional audio industry for the Musikmesse International Press Award. Under the auspices of the MM-Musik-Media-Verlag publishing company and the Musikmesse, the international music journalists meet in Frankfurt to select the MIPA winners in over 40 categories."

The major features of the SD5 are:

• 124 Input Channels
  • 56 Configurable Busses Plus Master Buss
  • 24 Dynamic Equalisers
  • DiGiTubes on All Channels
  • 24 Multiband Compressors
  • 24 Digital FX
  • 32 Graphic Equalisers
  • 24 x 24 Matrix
  • Multi Channel Folding
  • 8x AES/EBU I/O (mono)

So this particular mixer (which resembles an aircraft controllers desk), has a few more features than the X32 ;)

The MIPA award or Musikmesse International Press Award
is a "Press" award voted on by over 100 trade magazines.

The reason that the X32 won the award is not because it has more capability than the SD5 (which it does not), but rather because of its effect on the live sound market (the category it won in).

To define the "live sound" market as only the largest and most complex concerts being mixed by the best sound pros in the world is simply wrong. The reason the X32 is so revolutionary is because of the amount of features, robustness, and sound quality that has been put into such a low price point. Because of this, the X32 has had a much bigger effect on a much larger number of users than the SD5 ..... which is why it won the award.

I couldn't find a price on the web for the SD5 ..... which likely means it costs more than a Porsche ;)

.... and incidentally, a Porsche never wins the Detroit International Auto Show's "best new car of the year" award for the same reason.

I couldn't find a price on the web for the SD5 ..... which likely means it costs more than a Porsche ;)

.... and incidentally, a Porsche never wins the Detroit International Auto Show's "best new car of the year" award for the same reason.

I found a price at atlantic audio - Unsere Produkte - Preisliste. They want between 145.000 and 320.000 € for a SD5. For sure not my price range;-)

I found a price at atlantic audio - Unsere Produkte - Preisliste. They want between 145.000 and 320.000 € for a SD5. For sure not my price range;-)

Whoa Klaus! And to think if it had just been slightly below $100,000 I may have been all over it ;) I guess I will have to settle with an X32, Qu 16, or Expression Si ..... and still put the kids through college instead :)

All kidding aside, thanks for looking that up!

Re: X32-router-laptop?

Talking about networking.
I'm using Airport Express with my x32 and an iPad
X32 of course is Static Ip and Ipad is connecting to the Express via DHCP. Somehow if keep having trouble connecting to the x32 sometimes.
What is the correct sequence of powering up that setup.

I usually turn on the Express, way for it to start up proprely, then I turn on the x32 and wait for the network LED to stop blinking. The I connect the iPad to the Express. Then I start up iXControl and still get the "attempting to connect" message.

After several restarting the Express and or the x32 I finally get a successful connect. Anyone else experience this?

... Dieter ...

Yeah. Comparing a 4 digit vs. a 6 digit price-tag.
Totally out of my budget :)
I would still like to get my hands on to an SD5 just for giggles.

... Dieter...

Talking about networking.
I'm using Airport Express with my x32 and an iPad
X32 of course is Static Ip and Ipad is connecting to the Express via DHCP. Somehow if keep having trouble connecting to the x32 sometimes.
What is the correct sequence of powering up that setup.

I usually turn on the Express, way for it to start up proprely, then I turn on the x32 and wait for the network LED to stop blinking. The I connect the iPad to the Express. Then I start up iXControl and still get the "attempting to connect" message.

After several restarting the Express and or the x32 I finally get a successful connect. Anyone else experience this?

... Dieter ...
:) same issue. For me it works only if I startup the other way around: 1) X32, 2) Airport express, 3) Connect iPad/iPhone.

I suspect that something goes wrong between X32 and Airport Express when they negotiate ethernet speed and/or MDX.

The major features of the SD5 are:

• 124 Input Channels
  • 56 Configurable Busses Plus Master Buss
  • 24 Dynamic Equalisers
  • DiGiTubes on All Channels
  • 24 Multiband Compressors
  • 24 Digital FX
  • 32 Graphic Equalisers
  • 24 x 24 Matrix
  • Multi Channel Folding
  • 8x AES/EBU I/O (mono)

So this particular mixer (which resembles an aircraft controllers desk), has a few more features than the X32 ;)

The MIPA award or Musikmesse International Press Award
is a "Press" award voted on by over 100 trade magazines.

The reason that the X32 won the award is not because it has more capability than the SD5 (which it does not), but rather because of its effect on the live sound market (the category it won in).

To define the "live sound" market as only the largest and most complex concerts being mixed by the best sound pros in the world is simply wrong. The reason the X32 is so revolutionary is because of the amount of features, robustness, and sound quality that has been put into such a low price point. Because of this, the X32 has had a much bigger effect on a much larger number of users than the SD5 ..... which is why it won the award.

I'm glad my comments are starting to make sense. I'm pretty sure Uli and co. aren't trying too hard to correct the impression an uneducated reader might get that the X32 is functionally superior to the SD5.

After several restarting the Express and or the x32 I finally get a successful connect.

Set the iPad to a static IP. If the problem goes away, DHCP is your problem. I'm not sure why it would be, especially if the AirPort Express had the DHCP server functionality enabled and is configured to be handing out IP addresses, but there it is. DHCP is a variable or wild card. The clue is in it's name = dynamic host configuration protocol. All devices related to sound, video or lighting on our dedicated network for all of them are statically assigned. In a live environment the last thing I want is for some device to go all wonky because it couldn't talk to the DHCP server after it's lease expired and it decided to behave in some random, unpredictable response to that situation.

For live anything, static/manual configurations are your friend! Yup, if you go between normal use and gig use for a device, changing the IP settings around are an extra step - which do you want? Convenience or peace of mind? Me, I choose the latter....

Last edited:

I suspect that something goes wrong between X32 and Airport Express when they negotiate ethernet speed and/or MDX.

Another good point - auto detect for speed/duplex is evil. In the AirPort Express admin utility you should be able to manually set the ethernet port - I'd set it to 100MB full duplex and the X32 the same if it let's you (I don't remember but I think it does; the manual is silent on if it's an option or not).

Scribble strip bug (or quirk)

I believe something like this has been mentioned before, couldn't find it with a search so it might have been in the Behringer Forum.

I had one channel selected, ch.4 and went into the scribble strip utility and changed text and colour, but nothing, tried again, same result, and then I noticed the strip on channel one had changed. It seems that you need to select channel after you have entered the channel strip utility, that it won't default to the channel already selected. Not a biggie, but certainly something to keep in mind.
Can't remember if the issue described before was exactly similar, I think it was someone that couldn't get the strip on ch.16 to change, and this might be why.

Last edited:
Re: Using power conditioner with X32

Guys I have a quick question for you. I still don't have a UPS to use with my X32, and so far I haven't had much of an issue, other than the board resetting when I boot my amps. Still not sure if I will invest in one as I have been doing less and less gigs recently. I also carry a Mixwizard as backup in case I'm in a situation where the board simply won't work. (Though at that point I doubt if even using the mixwiz would work).

I have a cheaper Furman unit, M8L I believe, which has a volt meter. My question is, do I gain anything by using it with the X32? Is it better then just going straight into the wall? Would the volt meter tell me to be concerned in some situation? What kind of protection is built into the x32 if any? Power surges?

Chris - the primary reason for a UPS is to avoid a console/mixrack restart due to an AC power interruption or voltage sag. A voltage regulator is useless in the case of no AC. If you can live with your mixer restarting for whatever reason, you don't need a UPS, but the 20 or so seconds for a Yamaha LS9 can be unacceptable, and an iLive surface taking over 2 minutes... well... Small 550 va units can be had for $60-$70. Ex. (APC BE550G Back-UPS ES 8-Outlet 120V/550VA : Uninterruptible power supply (UPS) | RadioShack.com)

Set the iPad to a static IP. If the problem goes away, DHCP is your problem. I'm not sure why it would be, especially if the AirPort Express had the DHCP server functionality enabled and is configured to be handing out IP addresses, but there it is. DHCP is a variable or wild card. The clue is in it's name = dynamic host configuration protocol. All devices related to sound, video or lighting on our dedicated network for all of them are statically assigned. In a live environment the last thing I want is for some device to go all wonky because it couldn't talk to the DHCP server after it's lease expired and it decided to behave in some random, unpredictable response to that situation.

For live anything, static/manual configurations are your friend! Yup, if you go between normal use and gig use for a device, changing the IP settings around are an extra step - which do you want? Convenience or peace of mind? Me, I choose the latter....
Eric, DHCP is not the issue when using the X32 and the Airport Express since Airplay to the Airport Express works fine when I can't connect to the X32 from iPhone/iPad. The issue is on the ethernet between X32 and Airport. Unfortunately, both the Airport Express and the X32 do not allow you to disable the speed negotiation nor MDX. Let's hope for a software update that fixes the issue. Workaround for me is restarting the Airport after the X32 has booted.

Re: Scribble strip bug (or quirk)

I believe something like this has been mentioned before, couldn't find it with a search so it might have been in the Behringer Forum.

I had one channel selected, ch.4 and went into the scribble strip utility and changed text and colour, but nothing, tried again, same result, and then I noticed the strip on channel one had changed. It seems that you need to select channel after you have entered the channel strip utility, that it won't default to the channel already selected. Not a biggie, but certainly something to keep in mind.
Can't remember if the issue described before was exactly similar, I think it was someone that couldn't get the strip on ch.16 to change, and this might be why.

Hi Per,

There is a handy short-cut to avoid this problem. Simply hold down the 'select' button on the channel you want to edit, then hit 'Utility' button. That will take you right to it without having to select anything with an encoder. If you want to keep editing channel scribble strips, just hit the next channel 'select' button and you can keep editing.

Rob