X32 Discussion

DCA Assignments

I am having issues recalling DCA assignments from scenes. Further investigation, I cannot seem to find them in the scene file.

My use case is, 7 rotating lead singers, 1 becomes lead, the other 6 become back ups. I'd like two DCAs, lead vocal, backup vocals. Scene to recall the DCA assignments for those 7 inputs. Can't seem to get this to work? Am I missing something or is it not possible? Able to manually modify the scene file?

Thanks! Dave

Re: DCA Assignments

I am having issues recalling DCA assignments from scenes. Further investigation, I cannot seem to find them in the scene file.

My use case is, 7 rotating lead singers, 1 becomes lead, the other 6 become back ups. I'd like two DCAs, lead vocal, backup vocals. Scene to recall the DCA assignments for those 7 inputs. Can't seem to get this to work? Am I missing something or is it not possible? Able to manually modify the scene file?

Thanks! Dave

The dca assignments are the very last parameter for each channel: ch/xx/grp %00000000 %00000000 (dca 87654321 0 is unassigned, 1 is assigned)
The dca levels are near the end of the file, starting at line 1791 search for /dca/ and you'll find it.

The dca assignments are the very last parameter for each channel: ch/xx/grp %00000000 %00000000 (dca 87654321 0 is unassigned, 1 is assigned)
The dca levels are near the end of the file, starting at line 1791 search for /dca/ and you'll find it.

Hm. Okay, then it must be something in my chan and param safe recalls. http://dbmisc.s3.amazonaws.com/dca.gif

Which combination of chan and param should recall DCA assignments? If I "unsafe" DCAs 7 (backups) and 8 (lead), that will only recall the DCA labeling in the "/dca/..." portion? Or does that unclude it? Or given your explanation above, it would be param groups?

Thanks! Greatly appreciated!

Hm. Okay, then it must be something in my chan and param safe recalls. http://dbmisc.s3.amazonaws.com/dca.gif

Which combination of chan and param should recall DCA assignments? If I "unsafe" DCAs 7 (backups) and 8 (lead), that will only recall the DCA labeling in the "/dca/..." portion? Or does that unclude it? Or given your explanation above, it would be param groups?

Thanks! Greatly appreciated!

EDIT, disregard if you read what I wrote a few minutes ago.

Your setting will recall the DCA7 and DCA8 fader positions

You write about assignments, if you also need to change the assignments, make sure your scene recall Configuration box is unchecked for the scenes.

Last edited:
Re: X32 Noisy Cooling Fan

Hello,

I'm using my X32 for a couple of days now, but noticed that my desk produce a lot of noise by the cooling fan . The fan is running at full-power blowing air from under the desk.

A review on the internet says "the (very quiet) slow-speed cooling fan on the bottom of the desk". My cooling fan is running at full-speed is this normal, a setting or a defective? Because I use it in churches a noisy fan is a problem.

Dear Robert

Sorry to see you have an issue with your X32.

I have requested one of my UK CARE team contacts you on Monday to assist you.

Best regards

Ian Riley
VP Care
MUSIC Group
Behringer

Last edited:
Re: X32 Noisey Cooling Fan

Hi Robert,

The fan is pretty quiet, not completely silent, but almost inaudible. If yours is different, you have a problem and should seek repair. There are many people in this thread (Chase, Joe, Fiona, etc.) who can help you, but this is Saturday, so you may need to wait.

Where are you? That might help them to determine who will help.

Good luck,
Dan

Dear Robert

Sorry to see you have an issue with your X32.

I have requested one of my UK CARE team contacts you on Monday to assist you.

Best regards
Ian Riley
VP Care
Hi Dan and Ian,

Thanks for your reply's. I'm live in The Netherlands, having my X32 for two weeks now. If it's a defective the unit will be replaced by my distributor without problems. But i must be sure it's a defective and the cooling fan normally should be temperature controlled or slow-running. For my idea it's now running at full-speed.

Thanks for the support request!

Hello,

I'm using my X32 for a couple of days now, but noticed that my desk produce a lot of noise by the cooling fan . The fan is running at full-power blowing air from under the desk.

A review on the internet says "the (very quiet) slow-speed cooling fan on the bottom of the desk". My cooling fan is running at full-speed is this normal, a setting or a defective? Because I use it in churches a noisy fan is a problem.

Dear Robert,

Sorry to hear this. I shall PM you now to get to the bottom of this issue.

Kind Regards,
Fiona Hammond
CARE EMEA
MUSIC Group
BEHRINGER

Hi Declan,

Setup was

X32 connectet to power with a Powerlinefilter. No USV -> XLR Out (1-16 same problem) -> EW300 G2 XLR in ( left or right no differrend)

Digital Noise on Headphoens at the receiver ( i didnt test it at the transmiter)

Nothing more was plugt in the x32 or the EW300. All in and Out channels was muted !!

After i make a diBox beween the X32 and ew300 digital Noise was gone.

Without dibox: i have plug my Laptop ( with a line transfomer) at Aux channle 5&6 the Sound from the Laptop was expended to.

When i put a aktiv monitor at the output ( without ew300 ) sound was ok.

Yesterday i have the next problem. After 3-4 hours working with the x32 there was short noise on the monitors and after that all channels was expended !!!!

I switch off the x32 and after restart all was fine. Fortunaly it was not at the Gig !!

Setup was : Input: 2 mic´s with floor effects between mic´s and x32 , 2 Keyboard channel´s unbaleced to xlr in , 2 Line channels from Laptop over a DI Box

Output: 2 Aktiv monitors on Out 1 and 4, EW300 on Out 5 with dibox between x32 and ew300.

At all other last gigs i use only the S16 and aux 5&6 without Problems.

So i think it must be a Problem with my x32 when i use the in and outputs directly at the x32.

Sorry for my bad english :) More details possible in German if you need.

Would you please provide a few more details?

Exactly which output is it connected to? Is that output an xlr, TRS or unbalanced 1/4"? How is it connected to the back of the IEM in the same manner? Are they stereo or mono?

So, to be clear, what exact DI box did you connect inbetween the two? The output must have decreased to mic level by doing that, causing you to have to increase the gain substantially on the iem? Looks like the DI was acting as an Isolation transformer.

So, you said you tried all 16 outputs (all 16 xlr line outs). Do you get the noise when monitoring the headphone jack on the transmitter, or is it only in the iem reciever? Have you tried a powered speaker or something on the same outputs, to see if it's audible there?

By providing exact details, you help us help you...

Hey Glen,

No problem on the "rough" English, I appreciate the effort.

I understand you hear "digital noise" when the ew300 is connected to any of the 16 line outs on your X32 with mic cords (xlr - xlr).
If you place a direct box in between them this noise goes away.
You also report a sudden pop after 4 hrs, and then "no audio" at all. You are running the mixer on a power filter, but not a UPS (uninterupptable power supply).

So, first off: The pop could likely have been a power drop, so a good UPS on this console is a must. It must either be one that is always running through the battery (constant voltage), or have a minimum "kick in" time of less than 20 milliseconds when it switches to the battery. If this is not used, expect that problem again. I use one from "minuteman" that kicks in about 2-4 milliseconds. I've used others from "APC" without a rating on their "kick in time" and have had problems.

Please describe the "digital noise", it is always there, even without any audio right? Your direct box you used to remove the problem, what model was it, and how was it connected (exactly).

Hi Declan,

Setup was

X32 connectet to power with a Powerlinefilter. No USV -> XLR Out (1-16 same problem) -> EW300 G2 XLR in ( left or right no differrend)

Digital Noise on Headphoens at the receiver ( i didnt test it at the transmiter)

Nothing more was plugt in the x32 or the EW300. All in and Out channels was muted !!

Without dibox: i have plug my Laptop ( with a line transfomer) at Aux channle 5&6 the Sound from the Laptop was expended to.

Yesterday i have the next problem. After 3-4 hours working with the x32 there was short noise on the monitors and after that all channels was expended !!!!

I switch off the x32 and after restart all was fine. Fortunaly it was not at the Gig !!

Setup was : Input: 2 mic´s with floor effects between mic´s and x32 , 2 Keyboard channel´s unbaleced to xlr in , 2 Line channels from Laptop over a DI Box

Output: 2 Aktiv monitors on Out 1 and 4, EW300 on Out 5 with dibox between x32 and ew300.

At all other last gigs i use only the S16 and aux 5&6 without Problems.

So i think it must be a Problem with my x32 when i use the in and outputs directly at the x32.

Sorry for my bad english :) More details possible in German if you need.

Hey Glen, please with doubble NN :D~:-D~:grin:

No problem on the "rough" English, I appreciate the effort. Thanks !

I understand you hear "digital noise" when the ew300 is connected to any of the 16 line outs on your X32 with mic cords (xlr - xlr).
If you place a direct box in between them this noise goes away. Yes

You also report a sudden pop after 4 hrs, and then "no audio" at all.You are running the mixer on a power filter, but not a UPS (uninterupptable power supply). Not "no Audio at all" the sound was Distorsion, you can hear the Sound from the Keyboards at the Background.

So, first off: The pop could likely have been a power drop, so a good UPS on this console is a must. It must either be one that is always running through the battery (constant voltage), or have a minimum "kick in" time of less than 20 milliseconds when it switches to the battery. If this is not used, expect that problem again. I use one from "minuteman" that kicks in about 2-4 milliseconds. I've used others from "APC" without a rating on their "kick in time" and have had problems. What ist the Typ from Minuteman ?

First: I live in Germany and we DON´t have faulty Power :D~:-D~:grin: and i am sad to hear that the x32 "must have !" a UPS ! I think the Powersupply inside must be stabel to have the ability so brigged some little peakes at the 230V Net. The POP was very very very short ! And i think it is a wide range Powersupply from 90 -230 Volt isnt it ? So if the power fall down, maybe to 190 Volt, it must run.

I am over 32 Years in Music Bussines and this is my first Digital Mixer that "must have" a UPS. :cry:

Please describe the "digital noise", it is always there, even without any audio right? YES, maybe i can make a Wave file next days and send it to you. i can´t tell u in english how it sounds. :roll:

Your direct box you used to remove the problem, what model was it, and how was it connected (exactly).

DI-Box Millenium DI-33 from Thomann.de I send u a picture later today.

Many Thanks for your Help !
:)~:)~:smile:

X32 Noisy output checking

Hello

A simple way to check if the problem is in console or somewher else in setup would be to connect headphones directly to outputs with adapter like this:

Hakutulokset 1 - Thomann Suomi

just X32 connected into well-grounded AC-outlet ( without any power-conditioners etc...) and headphones into X32 - NOTHING else connected - turn outputs fully up and listen ..

If you can hear the noise, then it is the console. If not, it is the combination of X32 with other stuff - bad grounding, ground loops etc.

X32 anomaly in recording

I recently recorded 24 inputs and 8 submixes via the X32's USB connection to my laptop running Presonus Studio One 2. Over the course of a 3 hour recording (52Gb of .wav files), there are a dozen audio anomalies (i.e. various "glitches" in the audio streams).

I'm trying to figure out whether it is something that was picked up by the mics (19 of the inputs were mics; 4 were DIs from keyboards) or a glitch somewhere after it got in the X32.

Is it possible for only one (or two or three, but not *all*) of the 32 channels of audio coming in over USB to have a digital defect in it, or would problems with the audio stream affect all 32 channels at once? The reason I ask is that it *seems* that (at least some of) the defects can be heard at different levels in different audio streams. That would seem to imply it was some kind of analog interference, or a noise that was "heard" by the mics. themselves, and not something that happened in the digital domain. It seems like if there was a buffering problem, or such, that the DAW would have stopped or noted some sort of latency issue. Studio One never hiccuped a single time; the laptop never went to sleep, etc.

-- Mitch

You also report a sudden pop after 4 hrs, and then "no audio" at all.You are running the mixer on a power filter, but not a UPS (uninterupptable power supply). Not "no Audio at all" the sound was Distorsion, you can hear the Sound from the Keyboards at the Background.

So, first off: The pop could likely have been a power drop, so a good UPS on this console is a must. It must either be one that is always running through the battery (constant voltage), or have a minimum "kick in" time of less than 20 milliseconds when it switches to the battery. If this is not used, expect that problem again. I use one from "minuteman" that kicks in about 2-4 milliseconds. I've used others from "APC" without a rating on their "kick in time" and have had problems. What ist the Typ from Minuteman ?

First: I live in Germany and we DON´t have faulty Power :D~:-D~:grin: and i am sad to hear that the x32 "must have !" a UPS ! I think the Powersupply inside must be stabel tohavetheability so brigged some little peakes at the 230V Net. The POP was very very very short ! And i think it is a wide range Powersupply from 90 -230 Volt isnt it ? So if the power fall down, maybe to 190 Volt, it must run.

I am over 32 Years in Music Bussines and this is my first Digital Mixer that "must have" a UPS. :cry:

Please describe the "digital noise", it is always there, even without any audio right? YES, maybe i can make a Wave file next days and send it to you. i can´t tell u in english how it sounds. :roll:

Your direct box you used to remove the problem, what model was it, and how was it connected (exactly).

Hi Glenn,

please send me your Telepon number (not mobil) via PM. I call you and we can speak german.

Walter

Last edited:

The ew300 problem is been mentioned on more digital consoles. The proposed solution and link does solve this in almost all situations. (2x 47nF caps in XLR cable), as a DI also has a low pass filter behaviour this also blocks the RF / getting back into the console.

Connecting a laptop via a DI (can be a passive type) is always a good idea.

I do understand correctly that without the EW300 you don't have problems at all?

And I agree, normally we don't need a UPS in northern europe, it's only a bit more safe when power is disrupted, and disrupted means mostly, someone unplugging the powercord somewhere. :)

Hey Glenn, -I'm Glad that Walter can step in and help out.

Yes, as far as the UPS goes, I don't sell an X32 without recommending one. It was posted awhile back that any drop below 90v for more than 20 milliseconds on this console will cause malfunctions. Yes, It's less likely running on 230v, but still there is a chance, and with a good UPS, that possibility is removed.

Ewe mentioned a fix in post http://soundforums.net/junior-varsity/4393-x32-discussion-291.html#post54929

Here's links to the information from Allen&Heath and Roland about the same problem with the Sennheiser G1 and G2:
http://109.203.103.60/tech/ilive/Sennheiser IEM noise_cable mod.jpg
http://allen-heath.helpserve.com/Knowledgebase/Article/GetAttachment/416/12

The problem was fixed in the G3 version.

Declan.

Last edited:

First: I live in Germany and we DON´t have faulty Power :D~:-D~:grin: and i am sad to hear that the x32 "must have !" a UPS ! I think the Powersupply inside must be stabel tohavetheability so brigged some little peakes at the 230V Net. The POP was very very very short ! And i think it is a wide range Powersupply from 90 -230 Volt isnt it ? So if the power fall down, maybe to 190 Volt, it must run.

With about one hundred X32 gigs under the belt, I do have at least a bit of practical experience with this topic.
In my eyes there are three possible pitfalls for audiodrop outs:

1. mechanical
2. interference
3. power supply

1. In the beginning I sometimes used basic CAT5 cables with RJ45 connectors. Beside the fact, that the RJ45 should never made it into pro audio, this conncetor sucks by nature.
I had one cable, that locked well into the AES50 port (you could hear the "clicking noise" from the connector) but the contact was very sloppy. Just a litte bit of strain to the cable, and the sync with the S16 was lost.
I ended up by always using Neutrik Ehtercon plugs. If you attach them correctly, the RJ45 sits tight in the AES50 port.
You can add these connectors on your own-->
Behringer X32 - AES50 Digital Snake Cable Build - EtherCon Connector - YouTube
In addition: Check the AES50 port respectively the RJ45 connector on the desk, the thin tillers/pins inside the connector are fragile, even though they are made by Neutrik.

2. Do NOT use unshielded CAT5 cable, go with shielded CAT6. Unshielded cable can pickup interference form powered sources, like dimmed power cables from these damn lighting guys:)
These interference can cause audio artefacts in the worst case.

3. Always connect your X32 and S16 to the SAME phase powerwise! I'm lazy by nature and sometimes I just plugged my desk in the power outlet box from the lighting desk. This works 9 out of 10 times...too bad when the counter is on ten8)~:cool:~:cool:
My personal solution for this: I ordered one compositcable from Sommercable, that runs a power line and a shielded Cat7 line all in one cable.

I do have a UPS but I rarley use it. The PSU of the X32 works perfectly down to 80 Volts here, so the UPS stays in the transporter normally. Glenn is right about power in Germany. Given the fact, that the electrical installation in a venue is correct, we don't have to deal with this kind of ultra short power losses over here... Anyway, just wanted to say that with point 1-3 in mind, I never had any problems with my X32 gear anymore. In the beginning I ran into some problems, which were directly related to one of these points I mentioned and could be solved. I do not say, that I promulgate a pro audio revelation here, but it helped me through the day. Maybe this will help others too.

Christian

Re: X32 anomaly in recording

I recently recorded 24 inputs and 8 submixes via the X32's USB connection to my laptop running Presonus Studio One 2. Over the course of a 3 hour recording (52Gb of .wav files), there are a dozen audio anomalies (i.e. various "glitches" in the audio streams).

I'm trying to figure out whether it is something that was picked up by the mics (19 of the inputs were mics; 4 were DIs from keyboards) or a glitch somewhere after it got in the X32.

Is it possible for only one (or two or three, but not *all*) of the 32 channels of audio coming in over USB to have a digital defect in it, or would problems with the audio stream affect all 32 channels at once? The reason I ask is that it *seems* that (at least some of) the defects can be heard at different levels in different audio streams. That would seem to imply it was some kind of analog interference, or a noise that was "heard" by the mics. themselves, and not something that happened in the digital domain. It seems like if there was a buffering problem, or such, that the DAW would have stopped or noted some sort of latency issue. Studio One never hiccuped a single time; the laptop never went to sleep, etc.

-- Mitch

Hi Mitch,
can you post some details about your computer (OS, CPU, harddisk)?
Have you updated Studio One from 2.5 to the latest version 2.5.1? There is a known issue with 2.5 concerning a false harddisk speed message, that can cause ASIO errors (on Mac and PC).
In addtion, if you have a windows computer, have you run the "dpc latency checker" software? This will tell you, if your computer can handle real time audio-->

DPC Latency Checker

For a plain live recording I always raise the bar on the Behringer ASIO Driver settings (f.e. buffersize) up to maximum. This will lower the load on your cpu.
Concerning MS windows...I had great results by tweaking my windows OS with these tipps-->

SAC - Tweaking Windows

Christian

Phone perch

I'm curious how hard it is to remove the "phone pad" and if we might be able to get a different version of this piece as a replacement part. I wouldn't mind it if it were just a rubber pad without the perimeter walls. That would make it useful for a multitude of devices. Any word from the powers that be?

cupholder.jpg

Re: Phone perch

I'm curious how hard it is to remove the "phone pad" and if we might be able to get a different version of this piece as a replacement part. I wouldn't mind it if it were just a rubber pad without the perimeter walls. That would make it useful for a multitude of devices. Any word from the powers that be?
I did a quick check some months ago and it seems that the 'pad' is fastened with four screws under the rubber matt.

Try to peel the rubber off and then remove the screws.

I can't guarantee anything!