X32 Discussion

Re: X32 anomaly in recording

Hi Mitch,
can you post some details about your computer (OS, CPU, harddisk)?

I'll give it a shot. Windows 7 x64 running on an Intel i7 quad core (with hyperthreading), 6Gb RAM and two hard drives - second drive was used for storing the incoming audio (the OS is on the first drive). My son and I have previously recorded 11 tracks and have never had a hard drive performance, or drop-out issue.

Have you updated Studio One from 2.5 to the latest version 2.5.1? There is a known issue with 2.5 concerning a false harddisk speed message, that can cause ASIO errors (on Mac and PC).

Several weeks back I upgraded to 2.5.x (pretty sure I'd tried 2.5.1 after they released it), and it was so horribly inconsistent that I went back to 2.0.4 (x64). 2.0.x has never given me any problem, but with 2.5, there were times I couldn't even keep a single track recording for 10 seconds. I even went so far as wiping the hard drive and completely reloading everything (OS, apps, etc. from a factory fresh reload). 2.5 instantly failed, so I ditched it. Been running 2.0.4 since, and it has been very stable.

In addtion, if you have a windows computer, have you run the "dpc latency checker" software? This will tell you, if your computer can handle real time audio-->

It pretty consistently runs at 154us, but every 11th measurement shoots up to about 1100-1200us. Still in the yellow, and zero reds, and 10/11 are in the 150's.

For a plain live recording I always raise the bar on the Behringer ASIO Driver settings (f.e. buffersize) up to maximum. This will lower the load on your cpu.
I hadn't though to do that, so I was running at the default settings.

Concerning MS windows...I had great results by tweaking my windows OS with these tipps-->
I'll check those out.

I guess my bigger question is really one of trying to determine whether it was a recording defect in the digital domain (ex: laptop not fast enough, etc.) vs. something the mics. actually picked up. It *seems* that some of the defects are louder on some tracks than others, and that doesn't seem like it'd be a laptop issue. That seems more like interference on one of their wireless mics that caused noise in the house that was picked up by my mics., or such.

Thanks for the feedback, Christian.

Re: X32 Noisy Cooling Fan

Christian,

No Disrespect or anything, and I agree on your points and all, but the original poster mentioned only connecting to the console, he was not using any S16's at the time of the console freak out... That's why I suggested a ups to eliminate that as a possibility.

I get away without worrying about the phase/panel of the ac for the digital system that I use for 100% of the shows I do now (now that my analog stuff is sold off... Back in those days, panel/phase was a most important issue. What problems do you run into those 10% of the time? Is it only when running analog lines to destinations on other panels/phases then? With the S16's or other digital snakes (and a ups), I never seem to find an issue with ac anymore...

Hi Declan,

Setup was

X32 connectet to power with a Powerlinefilter. No USV -> XLR Out (1-16 same problem) -> EW300 G2 XLR in ( left or right no differrend)

Digital Noise on Headphoens at the receiver ( i didnt test it at the transmiter)

Nothing more was plugt in the x32 or the EW300. All in and Out channels was muted !!

After i make a diBox beween the X32 and ew300 digital Noise was gone.

Without dibox: i have plug my Laptop ( with a line transfomer) at Aux channle 5&6 the Sound from the Laptop was expended to.

When i put a aktiv monitor at the output ( without ew300 ) sound was ok.

Yesterday i have the next problem. After 3-4 hours working with the x32 there was short noise on the monitors and after that all channels was expended !!!!

I switch off the x32 and after restart all was fine. Fortunaly it was not at the Gig !!

Setup was : Input: 2 mic´s with floor effects between mic´s and x32 , 2 Keyboard channel´s unbaleced to xlr in , 2 Line channels from Laptop over a DI Box

Output: 2 Aktiv monitors on Out 1 and 4, EW300 on Out 5 with dibox between x32 and ew300.

At all other last gigs i use only the S16 and aux 5&6 without Problems.

So i think it must be a Problem with my x32 when i use the in and outputs directly at the x32.

Sorry for my bad english :) More details possible in German if you need.

Dear Glenn

If you are still having issues you would like some technical assistance with please PM me.

I can provide a German speaker if you would prefer.

Thanks

Ian Riley
VP CARE
MUSIC Group
Behringer

Re: Feature request.

Maybe it's just me, but I find it hard(ish) to select the right band when I'm using the surface controls to tweak eq. looking at the screen at the same time (yes I do use my ears, but the screen gives me the information to prevent me from tweaking a band I don't want to touch)
Would it be a good idea to have the selected band highlighted on the screen, maybe something like this?
View attachment 6638

Thoughts?

Hi Per,

I checked with RND and this should be addressed in Firmware V2.
Do not have release date as of yet.

Best Regards,
Joe Sanborn
Manager, Product Support
MUSIC Group
BEHRINGER

Re: Feature request.

Hi Per,

I checked with RND and this should be addressed in Firmware V2.
Do not have release date as of yet.

Best Regards,
Joe Sanborn
Manager, Product Support
MUSIC Group
BEHRINGER

Whoopie!!! Thanks Joe.
Now for the remainder of my five page wish list ;)~;-)~:wink: :lol:.

X32 Webinar - 4/25/13 - 10AM Pacific Time

Hi Guys,

We are offering an X32 Live! Webinar this week:

X32 and Mix Buses
Join us for a Webinar on April 25

Space is limited.
Reserve your Webinar seat now at:
https://www4.gotomeeting.com/register/993906599
In This Webinar we will go over ways to use the flexable mix buses on the X32 to setup Monitor Mixes, FX Sends, and Subgroups for your mix.

Title: X32 and Mix Buses
Date: Thursday, April 25, 2013
Time: 10:00 AM - 11:00 AM PDT

We hope you can make it!

Best Regards,
Joe Sanborn
Manager, Product Support
MUSIC Group
BEHRINGER

Code:
but every 11th measurement shoots up to about 1100-1200us

Well, this is not good. It should always be below 300 at least for real time audio. Seems that something stomps on your audio driver from time to time.
Good thing that you are on WIN7, there is a freeware programm called "latency mon". You could use that to detect the culprit-->

Resplendence Software - LatencyMon: suitability checker for real-time audio and other tasks

But my guess is, with propper windows tuning you should be fine. Do you use the Aero theme? If so, maybe switch to to the windows classic theme. This will automatically shout down the "windows boarder padding", which can cause performance issues when dealing with audio. It is a cpu hog as well;-)

Here are some tipps from the S1 developer team concerning tweaking windows..maybe look into this as well-->

Performance FAQ

In use S1 V2.5.1 on my MBP, an i7 desktop computer (Win7, 64bit) and on an ancient IMB Thinkpad T60 with XP. I just had this error messages concerning disk speed with 2.5. In 2.5.1. this problem was stated as solved and in deed it never occured again on my systems. But as a longtime Cubase user I must confess, that Studio One is more "crash happy" than Cubase, especially when working with melodyne. So I might switch back to Cubase again, although I love the drag&drop and some of the edit features in S1.

Christian

Code:
but every 11th measurement shoots up to about 1100-1200us

Well, this is not good. It should always be below 300 at least for real time audio. Seems that something stomps on your audio driver from time to time.
Good thing that you are on WIN7, there is a freeware programm called "latency mon". You could use that to detect the culprit-->

Resplendence Software - LatencyMon: suitability checker for real-time audio and other tasks

But my guess is, with propper windows tuning you should be fine. Do you use the Aero theme? If so, maybe switch to to the windows classic theme. This will automatically shout down the "windows boarder padding", which can cause performance issues when dealing with audio. It is a cpu hog as well;-)

Here are some tipps from the S1 developer team concerning tweaking windows..maybe look into this as well-->

Performance FAQ

In use S1 V2.5.1 on my MBP, an i7 desktop computer (Win7, 64bit) and on an ancient IMB Thinkpad T60 with XP. I just had this error messages concerning disk speed with 2.5. In 2.5.1. this problem was stated as solved and in deed it never occured again on my systems. But as a longtime Cubase user I must confess, that Studio One is more "crash happy" than Cubase, especially when working with melodyne. So I might switch back to Cubase again, although I love the drag&drop and some of the edit features in S1.

Christian

On my Dell 1720 Laptop (2007) I had to deactivate the DVD drive and any network adapter to record via firewire (Ricoh) without problems. Latency checker was showing the above mentioned peaks every 9 to 12 readings. After that no problem... that was under XP. In Win 7 x64 I can leave the networking on, but still have to deactivate the DVD drive.

Maybe this helps in any way!

Chris

I've been waiting on an X32-rack and watching the intertubes for a release date update. I found this today on google. It's from the Behringer facebook page.

"We're hoping to have the X32 COMPACT shipping in May/June and the X32 CORE shipping around July/August, with the rest to follow shortly after that. iQ speakers are still in development and should be available later in the year."

I never thought I'd be waiting for a Behringer product to come out.... it's a strange world.

OUCH. Sorry to hear that, Shane. Did you try the console with no other i/o connected at the desk? Wondering out loud if something in the external i/o or CAT5 could interfere with the desk if either/both went wonky. Otherwise it sounds like a PSU issue to me, too. Maybe dropped a rail?
The other usual suspects are a loose or intermittent connection, bad solder, yada yada yada.
Good luck, and let us know how this sorts out.

Well my retailer who is the certified behringer service depot here in Ottawa found a poorly seated ribbon cable that was the cause of boot failure. Oddly enough this same retailer reworked a dead dca fader a week earlier. Sooo did they need to remove said cable to access the faders to rework the console, or was this a seperate issue. At any rate they are testing the console, cycling it for several reboots before returning it to me. Fwiw this console has been installedin a club ( not moved) for four months, had a failed dca fader. Swapped in a new spare And kept the repaired console out ( I bought second console for this instance). The repaired console went to one gig in the back of a passenger van and back 20 minutes each way...and wouldn't boot the next weekend. I hope this the fault of the rework and doesn't speak about the ability for the console to travel. I bought a $700 road case for the console so it is properly protected. Crossing my fingers and I'll be traveling with a spare console all year... Not very comforting at this point. :(. I do want to share that chase, joe and chases manager have gone over and above the reach out to me to make sure I was looked after. I would feel more confident with a replacement console at this point since mine has had two defects in 3 weeks..and it still has a defective led ladder on ch 6. (-30 indicator I believe ) and when I got it back from my retailer the gate on/ off button stuck down... I got it unstuck, but I was not sure it wouldn't happen again, I didn't touch it.

Well my retailer who is the certified behringer service depot here in Ottawa found a poorly seated ribbon cable that was the cause of boot failure. Oddly enough this same retailer reworked a dead dca fader a week earlier. Sooo did they need to remove said cable to access the faders to rework the console, or was this a seperate issue. At any rate they are testing the console, cycling it for several reboots before returning it to me. Fwiw this console has been installedin a club ( not moved) for four months, had a failed dca fader. Swapped in a new spare And kept the repaired console out ( I bought second console for this instance). The repaired console went to one gig in the back of a passenger van and back 20 minutes each way...and wouldn't boot the next weekend. I hope this the fault of the rework and doesn't speak about the ability for the console to travel. I bought a $700 road case for the console so it is properly protected. Crossing my fingers and I'll be traveling with a spare console all year... Not very comforting at this point. :(. I do want to share that chase, joe and chases manager have gone over and above the reach out to me to make sure I was looked after. I would feel more confident with a replacement console at this point since mine has had two defects in 3 weeks..and it still has a defective led ladder on ch 6. (-30 indicator I believe ) and when I got it back from my retailer the gate on/ off button stuck down... I got it unstuck, but I was not sure it wouldn't happen again, I didn't touch it.

Dear Shane

Reviewing your comments, I can confirm that you do have to remove some cables when changing out faders, so it is possible, if not seated properly during re-work, road freight could cause your further reported issues, but as I am sure you appreciate this is conjecture.
What I can confirm is that with 20,000 + consoles in the field, we have not had issues caused by transport.

As a sign of good faith, my team will contact you to swap out your console, with a unit from our authorised facility here in Vegas.

Any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best regards

Ian Riley
VP Care
MUSIC Group
Behringer

Last edited:
Re: Where's the beef?

Hi. I work for Starin and as the distributor we order what we feel the market will need . . . . We KNEW the P-16M would be a Killer Product. It has so many features that were overlooked by other manfacturers and at less than halfthe MAP . . how could it fail? It Didn't . . . we ordered a lot! and the public from recording studios to bands to Houses of Worship ordered WAY MORE ! ! ! It's not like we've been out of inventory for long periods . . . it's just that when we get X Amount ( A gihugic number) people have order 3X ! Have you ever bough wine for a small get together and the entire block showed up? If so you know what's going on. If it wasn't such a perfect design, we would have this problem! Bad Uli !

S16 & Console SetUp Questions

Let me know if I've got this right or am totally wrong. A friend just got his S16, he's been using his copper snake previously. We'll need to go to the Setup Page and preamp tab and set the preamps to AES50 1-9 and AES50 9-16 and also go to global page and tick the box under General Prefs labeled "Lock Stagebox", correct? What I want is for the x32 to control the preamp gain, not the S16. Hope that makes sense. We've already made the other routing and setup settings, just working on the final details, we plan to run the copper snake as backup as this is a big gig and don't need more than a quick downtime. Speaking of that, could we use the "scene" for the copper setup and make all of the connections (at the board end with the analog snake) and be prepared that way(all we'd have to swap is the outs)?

Also, will we have to reset the input gains on the channels going from the analog to the digital snake?

Last edited:
Re: S16 & Console SetUp Questions

Let me know if I've got this right or am totally wrong. A friend just got his S16, he's been using his copper snake previously. We'll need to go to the Setup Page and preamp tab and set the preamps to AES50 1-9 and AES50 9-16 and also go to global page and tick the box under General Prefs labeled "Lock Stagebox", correct? What I want is for the x32 to control the preamp gain, not the S16. Hope that makes sense. We've already made the other routing and setup settings, just working on the final details, we plan to run the copper snake as backup as this is a big gig and don't need more than a quick downtime. Speaking of that, could we use the "scene" for the copper setup and make all of the connections (at the board end with the analog snake) and be prepared that way(all we'd have to swap is the outs)?

Also, will we have to reset the input gains on the channels going from the analog to the digital snake?

Hi Gary,

You may want to check out the following two X32/S16 resources:

S16 Tech Talk:
BEHRINGER Tech Talk #01: S16 and X32

S16 Webinar:
X32 Live! Webinar: X32 with the S16 - YouTube

Hope it helps.

Best Regards,
Joe Sanborn
Manager, Product Support
MUSIC Group
BEHRINGER

Re: Firmware Update

Mateusz Ciesiółka;55219 said:
Any news about PDF version?

Hi Mateusz,

I am working with our web team to get the PDF version live on the BEHRINGER forum.
The file should be live by weeks end.

Best Regards,
Joe Sanborn
Manager, Product Support
MUSIC Group
BEHRINGER

... Also, will we have to reset the input gains on the channels going from the analog to the digital snake?

Dear Gary,

Yes, you will have to set the gains for both, the local inputs and the S16 inputs separately. If you open the Setup/preamps page on the console, you will find settings for phantom power and gain for every one connected/available mic-preamp separately.

To achieve a redundant setup, in which you could flip a switch between analog and digital snake (i.e. recall a routing preset or scene) you need to copy the S16 gain/phantom settings to the local inputs one by one. Once that is done, you may switch between analog and digital snake inputs as you like. The outputs on the stage box are usually carrying the same signals as the local outputs anyway, so these can be switched between analog and digital snake as well.

Best,
Jan

Dear Gary,

Yes, you will have to set the gains for both, the local inputs and the S16 inputs separately. If you open the Setup/preamps page on the console, you will find settings for phantom power and gain for every one connected/available mic-preamp separately.

To achieve a redundant setup, in which you could flip a switch between analog and digital snake (i.e. recall a routing preset or scene) you need to copy the S16 gain/phantom settings to the local inputs one by one. Once that is done, you may switch between analog and digital snake inputs as you like. The outputs on the stage box are usually carrying the same signals as the local outputs anyway, so these can be switched between analog and digital snake as well.

Best,
Jan

Thanks Joe & Jan,

Got it all sorted out and have scenes with gains matched for both the analog & S16. Everything seems to be working perfectly.

Gary