and, at last, why is the X32Rack not yet part of my Gear? :lol:

Re: Hard drive recording card

Hi christian.
what is the RME thing below the Rack?
what do you do with it?
How is it connected?
and, at last, why is the X32Rack not yet part of my Gear? :lol:

The RME is my secret weapon:)
The old Asus A6ja Laptop runs Xcontrol AND SAC ( www.softwareaudioconsole.com ) simultaniously.
The loptop has a RME PCMCIA card and runs with 32 Samples. I measured the real roundtrip latency with "RTL"-->

Round Trip Latency (RTL), J-Scope Oscilloscope

and it says 4,12ms from analog in to analog out. Sadly, the channel delay resolution of the X32 is too coarse, so that you can't mix X32 channels with SAC channel exactly, without combfiltering.
But it is doable, if you go like this:
I always find it hard, to get a tight and defined kick drum sound in tents or venues with very reverbant room acoustics. In these cases I splitt the bass drum mic into three channels.
Channel one is only for the musicians monitoring, so it goes into the X32 and I use it as a send for the monitors. Kick channel #2 features the original kick mike, this is routed into SAC by using the analog in/outs on the Multiface connected to the Aux in/outs on the X32 (as Inserts). In SAC I use the SPL Transient Desiger Plugin and the Fab Filter ProEQ. I low cut the mike to 250-350 Hz and just go after the natural "kick/stroke/attack" sound in this channel. I do the same on kick channel#3, but with the opposite purpose.
I run Drumgog4 in live mode (zero latency) and use one of my own bass drum samples, just to get an insanly tight and fat low end. Therefore I high cut everything above 4kHz and just go with the low end. I set "dynamic tracking" in Drumagog to 20-30%, or for metal bands and such I don't use dynamic tracking at all. In the end, I mix both channels to my liking and you should end up with an tight low end without these silly "typewriter" sound, when solely using samples. The natural kick channel let the kick drum sound "real" enough. I do have different samples for different tasks. Some are for open air shows (ultrafat low end and longer sustain) and some very short, distinctive samples for troublesome acoustics.
But there is more, that you can do with this combination. Sometimes I split the bass guitars as well, one runs the clean DI signal and on track#2 I use a samsamp plugin or the Ampeg SVX ( IK Multimedia | Ampeg SVX ) and blend them together. Sometimes I use the Waves SSL Bus compressors for parallel compression...the possebilities are only limited by the six Aux inputs, that I use as inserts.
I go with them instead with the XUF card, because the RME is rocksolid, lower in latency and foremost, I can still record the show on multitrack.

Christian

<snip>

Christian

Phew, you really take "the studio guy" out on the road, don't you? :)~:)~:smile:

Do you only go to these lengths with Ranzig, or do you use the same techniques even with bands that you haven't worked with a lot? In other words, does it work universally once you have set it up and understand how it works and how to use it?

Re: Wiki Manual

<snip>I think there are a few of us that don't mind contributing at some level, the problem is that most of us find it difficult to commit to something that might take up a lot of time, and then being guilty of not fulfilling our part of the bargain and holding the project back, or even worse; letting the project get in the way of our daily "real-world" commitments.

Well, I did voluteer for this six months ago and again now with the expressed condition that I won't be alone. Apparently, Uli can't spare the manpower, so this is going to be 90+% user driven. The ones that have something to contribute know who they are, and I suggest they drop Uli a line signalling their willingness to take part in some capacity.
Remember that there are several roles to play, you basically have the moderators and the contributors, one can be one without being the other, and there are several levels of both.

I'm not a Wiki user, so I go into this with very limited knowledge of the format, but have at least got 35 years of experience (on and off) writing technical documentation, standard operating procedures and instructional documents, so I know what a nightmare it can be and how many pitfalls there are.
It's a big job, but if we share the work and manage to keep some dicipline and structure, hopefully it won't tax any of us beyond what we are willing and able to contribute of time and effort.

Re: Wiki Manual

Dear all,

first of all, I like to thank Per for his willingness to help. The crowd-sourced Wiki manual is actually a project Per and I discussed some time ago.

While we are more than happy to put the technical infrastructure in place, this topic requires a bit more explanation and a disclaimer. A technical manual is a legal document as it contains content a manufacturer is responsible for.

Once such a document is opened for public editing, we as a manufacturer cannot be held responsible for its content anymore, a principle very much in line with Wikipedia.

However, we believe that a crowd-based manual is a fantastic opportunity for people to share their experience and help other users. Over the next few days we will be creating the Wiki site and providing access to Per, who will hopefully get great support from other people here. If you are interested in contributing to the manual, please contact Per through a PM.

Once again, thank you Per and everyone else for your great support.

Warm regards

Uli

Last edited:
Re: Bass guitar through DI settings?

Hello

I have a VAIO pcg - 21311u Laptop, (Intel Atom CPU N470 (1.83GHz) 2GB RAM) running Windows XP SP2

I run Xcontrol directly connected from the X32, I mean connecting from the console RJ45 to the laptop RJ45, via network cable
(I'm not using a router)

Putting an fixed IP to a VAIO, I can connect both devices easily.

The problem is, meanwhile the time in use pass, the Xcontrol response its progressively degenerates, Up to becoming totally unusable.

Anyone knows about this problem? any advice?

PDT:the Xcontrol is the only program running in the laptop, even no anti-virus installed..

Regards

Is just me?? all of you Xcontrol users have the program running flawlessly?

I have formatted the computer and have installed w7 ultimate, and download all windows updates.
No anti-virus running, all settings in full performance and the same thing, Xcontrol totally unusable

Re: Bass guitar through DI settings?

I have formatted the computer and have installed w7 ultimate, and download all windows updates.
No anti-virus running, all settings in full performance and the same thing, Xcontrol totally unusable

Are both X32 and XControl running the latest released builds?

Re: xControl crawling to a halt

As I replied with the "xControl crawling to a halt"-heading I had noticed the same problem on an Atom-powered computer, I have had the problem but not investigated further. I might have a look tomorrow though.

Have you turned off the wifi, bluetooth etc. on the computer?

As I replied with the "xControl crawling to a halt"-heading I had noticed the same problem on an Atom-powered computer, I have had the problem but not investigated further. I might have a look tomorrow though.

Have you turned off the wifi, bluetooth etc. on the computer?

Thanks Per

Wifi off, bluetooth not sure..

Spencer, yes, both with the latest builds

Re: Webinars on youtube

Help needed.

I tried to install a X32 setup with my band this weekend but problems had me to give up.
The setup is a X32 with one S16 (AES 50 A) in the effects and wireless rack and one S16 (AES50 B) in the drummers rack. To the drummers S16 I connected a P16.
When started to setup the mixer and the mix everthing started as suppossed. All the inputs, outputs and effects worked. Then we went for lunch and when we came back
I first noticed that the effects did not longer work. Neither the internal or an external delay. The meters on the mixbus masters worked fine. I restarted the X32 and the effects came back
for a short while. I tried to downgrade to firmware 1.12 but no change. Then I tried to upgrade to 1.13. No change.eccept for a high pitched tone that started to sound and after a while became like
almost a feed back in the effects but even if I pulled down all faders and masters the sound didn´t stop until I switched off the X32. I did a factory reset but it didn´t help so my next step was to drive
home to fetch my own X32 to do an exchange to see what happend. I took the scene from the bands X32 and imported in my mixer and almost everything worked.
The only problem we. meet when I contiuned to set upp the mix was that the drummers P16 didn´t seem to "hear" the right channels that was assigned to the P16.
When we connected the P16 to the X32 it worked fine as it did connected to the S16 in the wireless rack. It ended up with the drummer S16 connected the the S16 in the wireless.
After rerouting and regaining everthing worked. When were almost done for the day we tried to switch mixers but after a short while the hig pitched tone came back

Now I have the bands X32 at home and they have mine. I haven´t checked it yet but while we were working with the mix the "broken" X32 were on and nothing connected. There were no meters showing any unusual sounds.

Please Guys can you help me? Any ideas.

My brain has reached it´s limits I think

Regards Gunnar Åkerlund

Phew, you really take "the studio guy" out on the road, don't you? :)~:)~:smile:

Do you only go to these lengths with Ranzig, or do you use the same techniques even with bands that you haven't worked with a lot? In other words, does it work universally once you have set it up and understand how it works and how to use it?

Actually I'm a studio guy as well and I always wanted to use my favourite VST plugs also in a live enviroment. If I have to mix a new band I never mixed before, I normally don't use much of these plugins. It needs some time for tweaking the plugs right and often there is no time for a longer soundcheck. But some things, like the Drumagog bass drum, works nearly everytime without much hassle.

Last edited:

Christian, you just had go an out do my post on the previous page :(

Looks cool though, how do you deal with not having faders? Being a SAC user must make that a bit easier to deal with.

I won't mind mixing a band just with a mouse and keyboard, but I'm so used to this, that it works for me. Beside my SAC background, recording in studio is also just mouse+keyboard for me.
Once I bought a DAW controller, because everyone told me, how that improved their mixes and workflow. Well...I tried it for two days and went back to mouse+keyboard very soon:)

Same issue here too.
Runs for a while then get progressively slower and comes to a halt completely.
Even after the latest upgrades.