X32 Discussion

Virtual soundcheck with Tracktion issue

I need help getting my X32 to do virtual soundcheck with the Tracktion software. I can record the tracks without problem. But when I play back, everything gets mixed into a single channel. I have all of the inputs on the X32 selected to Card 1-8, etc. What am I doing wrong? Thx!

Re: Virtual soundcheck with Tracktion issue

I need help getting my X32 to do virtual soundcheck with the Tracktion software. I can record the tracks without problem. But when I play back, everything gets mixed into a single channel. I have all of the inputs on the X32 selected to Card 1-8, etc. What am I doing wrong? Thx!

Hello

I had same problem, when starting Tracktion. You have to set the tracks on edit window to go to desired outputs. This is done by selecting track on left and then looking at near bottom on that tracks output destination and selecting right one. I am writing this without Tracktion in front of me so please forgive, if I remember something wrong. More help is available at Tracktion help forum.

obviously I suppose, that on setup-tab you have selected as many outputs you need...

Last edited:
Re: X32

Some time ago I read something about further integration of the P16 monitoring system in the X32, an option to transfer P16 presets from and to the X32. Is this possible in the future or just speculations?

Re: X32

Some time ago I read something about further integration of the P16 monitoring system in the X32, an option to transfer P16 presets from and to the X32. Is this possible in the future or just speculations?
The ultranet is a one way protocol only. There might be a chance that if you connect the p16 via the midi port you could have some form of communication.

USB Stick Insertion Causes Reboot

Hi All,

An odd thing happened yesterday. With the console booted up and idling, I put in a USB stick that I've used many times on many different X32's. Immediately upon insertion, the screen went black and the console rebooted. It worked fine after the reboot.

The room was carpeted and the only point of connection between me and the console was the stick (a Victorinox 64 Gig in the shape of a little Swiss Army knife), but I've never felt a static discharge before or later the same day (many times working in this same room), so I wouldn't think that was the problem.

Any thoughts or similar experiences?

Also, in a separate note, I"ve sent back the X32 that had the sticky mute button to get that fixed, as well as the digital whine on the monitor, headphone, and aux outs. I'm looking forward to happily reporting that the pesky whine is gone.

The return process was quite painless.

Link 2 X32s - Master and Slave

Just about to buy a second X32 as a backup (having rid of all my anologue desks recently). I'd like to be able to use the second desk as a slave which I can pop in the middle of the auditorium for technical runs etc.. and link it to the main one via CAT 5. Then during shows it will just be on standby. At the moment this doesnt seem possible. Basically have the second run like X32 Edit I supppose but benifit from having a physical bit of kit rather than using a PC. I know you can link 2 desks with one as a montior, but that's not the same as them mirroring each other.

I suppose it would be possible if Behringer did some kind of update to allow a master and slave console - Or can anything clever be done by sending OSC controls from one desk, coverting it with some kind of software on a PC and sending back to the master?

I don't think this has ever been dicussed, apologies if it has! Any bright ideas anyone?

Re: Link 2 X32s - Master and Slave

I suppose it would be possible if Behringer did some kind of update to allow a master and slave console - Or can anything clever be done by sending OSC controls from one desk, coverting it with some kind of software on a PC and sending back to the master?

I don't think this has ever been dicussed, apologies if it has! Any bright ideas anyone?
Using osc this is quite possible.

Using some small computer, i.e. a raspberry pi, it can subscribe to all messages from the master and push the same messages to the slave.

One issue that needs to be addressed is that some parameters need to be converted since the in/out parameter isn't compatible.

Except for the conversions the program would be quite easy and small to do...

A bonus with such a program would be that one can controle the x32rack/core using the x32 as a remote surface.

Using osc this is quite possible.

Using some small computer, i.e. a raspberry pi, it can subscribe to all messages from the master and push the same messages to the slave.

One issue that needs to be addressed is that some parameters need to be converted since the in/out parameter isn't compatible.

Except for the conversions the program would be quite easy and small to do...

A bonus with such a program would be that one can controle the x32rack/core using the x32 as a remote surface.

Yes, my thoughts. Assume that by using the AES50 ports you could also set it up to be like a monitor desk so that LED indications worked too on the channels and outputs (I think!).
I've started to play around with the OSC bits, I know Kevin Hunter is more of an expert than I am in the X32 & OSC world. I can program, but struggling with some of the basics, so for now a bit more reading. So far managed to crash the desk with OSC_Error readings! Managed to send OSC to the desk from my iphone fine and from the iphone to a little PC app I wrote - Work in progress. I've got a Pi and am getting up to speed with Python so might look down that route at a later date.

Re: USB Stick Insertion Causes Reboot

Hi All,

An odd thing happened yesterday. With the console booted up and idling, I put in a USB stick that I've used many times on many different X32's. Immediately upon insertion, the screen went black and the console rebooted. It worked fine after the reboot.

The room was carpeted and the only point of connection between me and the console was the stick (a Victorinox 64 Gig in the shape of a little Swiss Army knife), but I've never felt a static discharge before or later the same day (many times working in this same room), so I wouldn't think that was the problem.

Also, in a separate note, I"ve sent back the X32 that had the sticky mute button to get that fixed, as well as the digital whine on the monitor, headphone, and aux outs. I'm looking forward to happily reporting that the pesky whine is gone.

Very Strange, I posted this before : Hey guys, last night at band practice my X32 just froze and although it was still passing audio, pressing any buttons had no effect at all. I was recording on flash drive every song separate and it happened just after I stopped the recording ?? There were quite a few songs on the drive and although it's a 16Gig I was wondering if it could have been something to do with the speed of the drive that caused the X32 to freeze ?!?!?!?! The last song actually didn't record at all it is corrupt ? Very strange.
After re-boot everything was working 100% again even recorded more songs on the same drive without problems.

It seems that the USB does have something to with either a reboot or freeze in my case.

Andre

Very Strange, I posted this before : Hey guys, last night at band practice my X32 just froze and although it was still passing audio, pressing any buttons had no effect at all. I was recording on flash drive every song separate and it happened just after I stopped the recording ?? There were quite a few songs on the drive and although it's a 16Gig I was wondering if it could have been something to do with the speed of the drive that caused the X32 to freeze ?!?!?!?! The last song actually didn't record at all it is corrupt ? Very strange.
After re-boot everything was working 100% again even recorded more songs on the same drive without problems.

It seems that the USB does have something to with either a reboot or freeze in my case.

Andre

This happened to me before, when I was giving a demo, a new user was moving rather quickly on the USB page, record / stop, menu etc... it locked up the desk. I find you have to be patient and very deliberate about giving it time to finish tasks before moving on. It too left a corrupt file on the stick that I had to put inot my pc and delete.

Yes, my thoughts. Assume that by using the AES50 ports you could also set it up to be like a monitor desk so that LED indications worked too on the channels and outputs (I think!).
I've started to play around with the OSC bits, I know Kevin Hunter is more of an expert than I am in the X32 & OSC world. I can program, but struggling with some of the basics, so for now a bit more reading. So far managed to crash the desk with OSC_Error readings! Managed to send OSC to the desk from my iphone fine and from the iphone to a little PC app I wrote - Work in progress. I've got a Pi and am getting up to speed with Python so might look down that route at a later date.

I believe that Kevin's Scene Manager could quite easily (in relative terms that is) be converted to do this task, since all the translation of incoming to outgoing OSC has already been done. There is a problem though with handling input gain if the master console is the input source. It can be worked around, but straight mirroring and passing audio from AES50 at the same time will be a problem, and doing a fully functional everything included remote control conversion will involve some careful conversion of some of the functions, but it should be totally possible.
Of course, we also have to keep nagging Behringer to include remote control in the firmware.

The whine is gone?

Is there a new procedure or something for that? Mine went in a few weeks ago but came back very similar. IE; The whine is still there.

Thanks
Pauly

Hi All,

Re: X32 Permissions

I know I'm late to the party but I'm finally considering the X32 for a small church upgrade. Looking through the user manual and this thread, there appears to be no permissions, no password lockouts, nothing. Am I missing something obvious?

The ability to lock down scenes and other aspects of the desk is a must for me for church use. The Yamaha LS9-32 does this fairly well but it's more than double the price.

My questions are about security issues regarding musicians using tablet/smartphone apps for mixing their own monitors...

I have scoured the X32 manuals for answers and I have scoured this forum for answers, but I have only found this thread that Michael Smithers started (in regard to lockouts to guard against incompetent audio technicians), plus a poasty promise by Uli Behringer himself almost 1 year ago that seems to have never been fulfilled. (I have not been able to find any documentation of it being fulfilled) See Uli's announcement in the section "Generation 2 Firmware", paragraph 1:
http://soundforums.net/varsity/4299-uli-behringer-music-group-q-14.html#post35698

So, I am asking here...
1. When tablets or smartphones are being used as remotes by musicians to control their monitor mixes, is it possible for musicians to mess with the FOH settings? ...or is there a lockout feature that prevents musicians from wandering beyond the monitor controls?
2. And is there a way to lock a particular tablet or smartphone to a particular monitor mix? ...to keep a musician from accidentally adjusting the monitor mix of her neighbor?

We have not yet migrated to a digital mixer. We would get at least 8 of the P16-M, but it would be great to also allow musicians to use their tablets and smartphones (wireless and versatile, yay). ...but I do not want to compromise the FOH mix, and I would like to prevent musicians from the mid-show distraction of getting lost in the app.

I am dealing with musicians here, not technicians. I have no problems managing inexperienced audio techs to keep them away from the mix console and I am confident to train well those who are interested in audio. ...but if musicians are to use their tablets or smartphones to mix their own monitors, then I am concerned that the musicians will have a dangerous amount of access to the nuclear weapons. 8O~8-O~:shock:

If there are no lockout features, then we would definitely need a P16-M for each musician.

[edit]
Ideally, I would like a "monitors-only app", specifically designed for musicians. The apps that I have seen seem to only be the general control apps.
[/edit]

Last edited:

My questions are about security issues regarding musicians using tablet/smartphone apps for mixing their own monitors...

So, I am asking here...
1. When tablets or smartphones are being used as remotes by musicians to control their monitor mixes, is it possible for musicians to mess with the FOH settings? ...or is there a lockout feature that prevents musicians from wandering beyond the monitor controls?
2. And is there a way to lock a particular tablet or smartphone to a particular monitor mix? ...to keep a musician from accidentally adjusting the monitor mix of her neighbor?
If there are no lockout features, then we would definitely need a P16-M for each musician.

[edit]
Ideally, I would like a "monitors-only app", specifically designed for musicians. The apps that I have seen seem to only be the general control apps.
[/edit]

If they use the iphone app, they cannot touch the FOH settings, but they can adjust thier neighbours mix I believe...
I wouldn't allow the ipad app version to be used becuase it allows full access...

I agree that they need to have some sort of passowrd / lock out of mixes that you can assign to specific ip's or the like...
I'd go the P16 route if you are that worried about musician tampering.

The whine is gone?

Is there a new procedure or something for that? Mine went in a few weeks ago but came back very similar. IE; The whine is still there.

Thanks
Pauly

Hi Pauly,

I said I'm looking forward to posting that, not that I am announcing it now. The console hasn't come back yet.

Dan

If the smartphone app only allows access to the monitors, then I think at least smartphones would be secure enough for our purposes.

Some musicians like to use a tablet for sheet music or lyrics/chords, especially the keyboardists. Would be nice for tabletors to be able to safely use an app. Maybe we could ask the tech-savvy musicians to learn how to use a smartphone app, so we can be prepared for days when we are scheduled to have more than 8 musicians.

But anyway, I'm not complaining about the tablet/smartphone features - I think they're great. I'm just frustrated that the documentation seems to be so poor, as we are trying to plan our system architecture. I think Behringer needs to publish a table that shows what major features are available on each app.

Btw, our application is yet another a church... We have a worship band with interchangeable parts. Different musicians every week, I think more than 20 regularly-serving musicians.

Last edited:

Hi Jimmy,
Just as a small tip, the iPhone app can also be used on the iPad, which even gives you the option for using it in double-size. Personally, I find that very useful for performing musicians.

We will consider means for restricting remote user access for the 2.0 firmware update. However, this part can actually get very tricky, very quickly, which is why we won't rush into it, while having too many other tasks on our plate currently. Consequently, this major update will not be available before end of this year.

Best,
Jan

Avid S3L

Check out the Avid S3L. It's kind of like having an x32 core with S16(s). But instead of a computer or iPad for control, it has a small keyboard like device with faders and a few controls, and connects to a computer monitor. I was thinking that this type of control surface would be a great addition to the X32 family.

Met a fellow X32 user for the first time :)

Being an X32 user has been rather lonely in my neck of the woods, but today that changed
P1010020.jpg
I did know of course that a few have been sold here in Norway, but to actually come across one in the hands of a small sound company travelling a couple of hundred miles to do a job was not something I expected to see for a while yet. First thing I did was of course kick myself for not taking the usb stick with the presets for my band, and I nearly always have it in my pocket.
Anyway, we talked about this and that, I was able to give a couple of hints and solve a couple of mysteries, one of which I'll return to later in the post, and made a startling discovery that will help me a lot in the future:
After the show we were talking about the very annoying stage and how bad it was for feedback and he was pulling up a mike that started feeding on queue. I was singing along with the feedback and decided it was between C# and D above middle A, guessing at 560 Hz and asked him to pull down that frequency, so he moved a band that was already notched at a lower frequency, and the feedback got worse. Guess what frequency, yes smack on 280 Hz. Makes me wonder, is it me that can't hear the fundamental, is there a harmonic resonance that is triggered by the lower frequency, or what? I checked it against the generator now, and the note I was humming (aaaa-ing actually) was definitely 560 and in no way 280. Still, I don't know if it is my ability to distinguish between octaves or some resonance phenomenon, but I have definitely learned a lesson.

Back to mystery #1: No light in the send encoders when trying to send from ch.32, and of course no sound either. I believe someone reported that problem before, but I don't know if it was resolved. However, seeing it for myself, I could quickly determine that all sends on that channel had been muted. I don't know if this was the problem in the instance reported before, but I wouldn't be surprised.

We will consider means for restricting remote user access for the 2.0 firmware update.
That is good news, we'll keep fingers crossed, candles lit (and mention it in our praires).

However, this part can actually get very tricky, very quickly, which is why we won't rush into it, while having too many other tasks on our plate currently. Consequently, this major update will not be available before end of this year.

Totally understandable. So where does one sign up to become a beta-tester :twisted:

Last edited: