X32 Discussion

Re: X32 Permissions

I know I'm late to the party but I'm finally considering the X32 for a small church upgrade. Looking through the user manual and this thread, there appears to be no permissions, no password lockouts, nothing. Am I missing something obvious?

The ability to lock down scenes and other aspects of the desk is a must for me for church use. The Yamaha LS9-32 does this fairly well but it's more than double the price.

Currently there is no such feature on the X32. It may happen in future software versions, but as of now there isnt anything.

We also use an X32 in a Church and have not found this to be a problem.

Well... Put me down in the problematic X32 category. Pres 1-8 wouldn't pass signal. Doublechecked routing and it looked fine to me. I moved the audio snake chs 1-8 to pres 17-24 and routed them to the 1-8 layer and it worked fine. But anything connected to pres 1-8 didn't matter where they were routed, nada... nogo... silence. I did a reboot (twice even), loaded an old scene... no change. Problem remained.

LMK if I'm forgetting something... I'm thinking hardware issue though. I'm getting a ribbon cable problem kind of vibe... ;)

Never acted up previously. Worked fine at the last show it was on. Board has not even been used that much and always in a roadcase.

-AlanH

external insert on main l/r

I am using s16 and digital snake up to now used internal effects - but want to insert an external 2 ch geq in the main l/r .in the routing i can send the main l to aux1 out and main R to aux2 out and then set aux 1 in and aux2 in as inserts but then of course when i come to apply the insert to the Main l/r i can only insert either aux 1 or aux2 I.e. cannot do an insert on the main l and main R separately. Would i need to do this via a bus subgroup
Also seems that as an enhancement maybe good to be able to have more than one internal insert on main l/r eg to have say a stereo geq and say an enhancer

The ability to lock down scenes and other aspects of the desk is a must for me for church use

Hey Michael, I don't want to come off as disrespectful to your request, as many others have asked for this feature. And it also seems like a reasonable thing to work into firmware to appease anyone who might need it. With that I will echo my opinion, that if someone were incapable of handling what I consider very user friendly scene management, I would not trust them to operate the console to any degree. :D~:-D~:grin:

Hey Michael, I don't want to come off as disrespectful to your request, as many others have asked for this feature. And it also seems like a reasonable thing to work into firmware to appease anyone who might need it. With that I will echo my opinion, that if someone were incapable of handling what I consider very user friendly scene management, I would not trust them to operate the console to any degree. :D~:-D~:grin:
plus if you have the confirm yes /no active then difficult to change scene by accident needs to be a deliberate action which assumes the person knows what they are doing!

My main request would be to be able to lock down remote control of both the Xcontrol (X editor/mix) and the ipod app, something the preSonus does pretty well, you can force certain devices to only have control over a given bus, password protect, and such.

My main request would be to be able to lock down remote control of both the Xcontrol (X editor/mix) and the ipod app, something the preSonus does pretty well, you can force certain devices to only have control over a given bus, password protect, and such.

well buy a presonus!

Darth Fader?

wpaq3t.jpg

IMG_1349.JPG

IMG_1354.JPG

Re: Darth Fader?

Nice ;)

I am seriously considering this, but it is a big leap for me...... and I am one of the most aggressively tech leading people I know.

My application is mixing from stage while playing in a band. It was my thought to go with MIDI foot control for scene changes and iPad control for gain adjustments and input monitoring from my mic stand.

The X32 Rack appears to be the best option out there (almost out there) for such an application, but I still worry about not having a physical control surface.

The part of me that is aggressively tech leading says that the mix from stage crowd will most surely go digital with a wireless remote and no physical control surface over the next 10 years without any doubt. Being one of the first only means that I am smart and forward thinking ;)

The part of me that hears the army of old sound guys saying that you would be foolish to bet your gig on an iPad or laptop (in my case I intend on having both), is still worried about not having faders.

Then there is the engineer in me (I am an electrical engineer) that says that motorized faders and physical knobs and buttons are just one more thing to break or get beer spilled on.

What are your thoughts on this Christian?

Beeing a SAC-head as well, I'm kind of biased concerning this topic. There are mixing scenarios out there, where faders are a must. Period! But when dealing with just one band or for repetitive jobs, I can go without them. As you can see on the last picture I run Xcontrol and the iPad app simultaniously, if one of them fails I can go with the other. You have to give it a try. It might be not for everyone, but it works for me.
Christian

Waiting for my X32Rack, I'm thinking of something to control it with, and obviously a Windows 8 tablet running XControl is one of the things I'm thinking of, but faders would be nice.
I wonder if there is any chance that Behringer will produce a control surface, because there must be a market for a surface that can be both a DAW controller and a X32 remote.

Waiting for my X32Rack, I'm thinking of something to control it with, and obviously a Windows 8 tablet running XControl is one of the things I'm thinking of, but faders would be nice.
I wonder if there is any chance that Behringer will produce a control surface, because there must be a market for a surface that can be both a DAW controller and a X32 remote.

I'm with you...a BCF2000 locked to the eight DCA groups would be nice. Although the propper control surface is already on its way!
It's called X32Producer:)
Just kidding.

I'm with you...a BCF2000 locked to the eight DCA groups would be nice. Although the propper control surface is already on its way!
Just kidding.

.... and that is what I have been strongly considering as my other option ;)

X32 Rack (Pro's)
  1. Smaller footprint on stage
  2. Fits into one of my existing racks
  3. No mechanical parts to fail (or very few)
  4. $500.00 less expensive
  5. It will be released before the X32 Producer

X32 Producer (Pro's)
  1. Easier for anyone else to understand (not sure I agree completely with this)
  2. Motorized faders are simply cool ;)

By the time I got a new rack for it, the X32 Producer would end up being $1000.00 more than the X32 Rack, and it is likely that I would very seldom actually touch the control surface at a gig (I rarely do today with my MixWiz).

As an aside, I stopped by my local GC today. They no longer have the X32 showcased in their live sound area. They have the Soundcraft Expression Si and the Presonus 16.4.2. I guess Behringer quit shelling out money to GC for the center spotlight ;)

Just kidding.

I'm with you on that one, and I really hope that the X32 family of consoles will get remote capabilities incorporated, I'll certainly be nagging about it until they give in, but I would very much like to see a lightweight surface wit 13-17 faders, buttons and encoders to function as both a DAW-controller and X32 remote. If I would have to attach an iPad to get screen functionality, I wouldn't mind too much. Quite obviously one could achieve faders with one or more BCF and a computer, but that defeats the purpose because the control position becomes bulky and complicated, and one could just as well set up the X32. Maybe VR goggles and a cyberglove ;)~;-)~:wink:

Well... Put me down in the problematic X32 category. Pres 1-8 wouldn't pass signal. Doublechecked routing and it looked fine to me. I moved the audio snake chs 1-8 to pres 17-24 and routed them to the 1-8 layer and it worked fine. But anything connected to pres 1-8 didn't matter where they were routed, nada... nogo... silence. I did a reboot (twice even), loaded an old scene... no change. Problem remained.

LMK if I'm forgetting something... I'm thinking hardware issue though. I'm getting a ribbon cable problem kind of vibe... ;)

Never acted up previously. Worked fine at the last show it was on. Board has not even been used that much and always in a roadcase.

-AlanH

I had this happen to me once. I shut down the mixer, pulled out the Cat5e connector from my s16`s and plugged them back in, powered on, and good to go. Never happened again, but it sure was strange and confusing at the time. :?~:-?~:???:

Chris, Jared, I hear you. But in many of the churches I've worked in, very inexperienced operators are the norm. There are not enough knowledgeable people to do the job each week. Despite best intentions, they screw things up, especially trim levels on fixed channels - like wireless - and changing routing.

I updated my previous church to an LS9-32. The admin password lockouts, worked really well and on the rare occasion when key scenes were damaged, I fixed them from backup. My current church is baulking at the ~$9k for an LS9-32, hence considering the X32.

Someone mentioned Presonus... Yep I looked that them briefly but they lack motorised faders and recallable trims and phantom.

Metronome/click track generator

Didn't have a metronome handy today, isn't that the kind of thing that could be fairly easily implemented as either an effect or in the oscillator section? Maybe not the kind of thing that one needs that often, but ....

Hi Christian,

I'm not sure if you've posted this before, but could you please describe how you are doing this? 2 S16's at stage & Cat6 to the Rack & laptop as your FOH control? Or analog snake to FOH and <16 inputs?

I've been thinking about a Rack + an S16 at the stage for 32 total inputs and a "spare" mixer in the stage rack, but the inputs/outputs on the front of the S16 and on the back of the Rack kind of kill that idea. Current idea is to have a Core in the stage rack along with 2 S16's, and use that plus iPads for small or easy gigs, and with an X32 for larger ones and the Core as the spare mixer.

Thanks,
Dan

I'm not sure if you've posted this before, but could you please describe how you are doing this? 2 S16's at stage & Cat6 to the Rack & laptop as your FOH control?

BINGO! This is how I roll.

I would very much like to see a lightweight surface wit 13-17 faders, buttons and encoders to function as both a DAW-controller and X32 remote

I just got a tip, that Behringer has already a DAW controller in the making, that can be used also for remoteing X32 devices. Great news actually!
Christian