X32 Discussion

Re: Scribble strip gripe

I realize other low cost consoles don't have this ability either. But the X32 is supposed to be a the "game changer" at it's price point. Keyboard character input seems to me to be a basic feature for such a console. And instead of a iPhone resting pad. I think a trackball would have been very handy for all sorts of things on the menu screen.

This is a low cost console. iOS devices are plentiful and cheap, and as others have pointed out there are numerous reasons to attach at least one, if not a laptop to the console. There are far more pressing things I would rather see them address.

And the console may not even support it. Supporting HID (human interface devices) is a totally different kettle of fish than supporting storage (USB port on top for recording) or IO (multitrack recording out the back).

The console is an embedded special purpose device, not a general use computer. Nothing is trivial when any bitched firmware update could brick a device and incur costly shipping and return management logistics.

fundamentally I agree with you - it would be nice. However it's far from trivial so don't hold your breath. Used iPads 1s can be had for under $150. Just do it.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but there is a screen that shows you all the channels you are editing the scribble strips on. Just select a channel, then hit the Setup button by the screen, then tab over to the 'Scribble Strip' tab. To the left is a master list of all channels, buses, etc. and you can select and edit any/all of the channels right there. The current channel being edited is highlighted, so you know which one you are editing. Hope this helps.

Unfortunately, I found that in some cases, even when I had a channel selected, hitting setup and scrolling over to the scribble strip would either place me at channel 1 for editing, or the last channel I was working on would still be in the editor, ignoring the currently selected channel. It happened often enough that it was annoying. Where it gets really confusing is that the selected channel shows up in the upper left hand corner of the screen, but that's not necessarily the channel you are editing the scribble strip for.

No, it's not the end of the world, but just a minor interface tweak would make it better.

Unfortunately, I found that in some cases, even when I had a channel selected, hitting setup and scrolling over to the scribble strip would either place me at channel 1 for editing, or the last channel I was working on would still be in the editor, ignoring the currently selected channel. It happened often enough that it was annoying. Where it gets really confusing is that the selected channel shows up in the upper left hand corner of the screen, but that's not necessarily the channel you are editing the scribble strip for.

No, it's not the end of the world, but just a minor interface tweak would make it better.

Yes,this quirk has been discussed before. The best way is to hold select down while pressing setup, that will take you to the right strip.

This is a low cost console. iOS devices are plentiful and cheap, and as others have pointed out there are numerous reasons to attach at least one, if not a laptop to the console. There are far more pressing things I would rather see them address.

And the console may not even support it. Supporting HID (human interface devices) is a totally different kettle of fish than supporting storage (USB port on top for recording) or IO (multitrack recording out the back).

The console is an embedded special purpose device, not a general use computer. Nothing is trivial when any bitched firmware update could brick a device and incur costly shipping and return management logistics.

fundamentally I agree with you - it would be nice. However it's far from trivial so don't hold your breath. Used iPads 1s can be had for under $150. Just do it.

I used the X32 last night for the first time. I did connected up a laptop mainly to keep quick access to the graphic EQs. The on-surface method of adjusting graphics is really unpleasant. But admittedly I'm spoiled after working mostly on a Venue for the past couple of years. Programing a venue and making changes on the fly is so much faster and easier. But it's also nearly 10x the price new for an SC48, so of course you get what you pay for. The X32 has a lot of bang for the buck certainly and I'll probably get one for myself for smaller stuff.

The things the X32 has going for it I wish the Venue had are 1) the dedicated iOS app that's fully featured and 2) the ability to run multiple instances of the control app with access to different parameters simultaneously.

Hopefully the stuff I find non-intualtive currently will become more second nature and faster to do with more use. And I hear your about the HID implementation. I do QA on FPGA based devices all day long and nothing is trivial.

Keep in mind that it is unlikely that any iPad 1 that is used is going to have a battery that is in any decent shape at all. Replacing the battery in one of these units is like doing brain surgery (PITA).

If you are planning on always powering your iPad, then i guess it wouldn't be much of an issue. Otherwise ....

EQ access

I used the X32 last night for the first time. I did connected up a laptop mainly to keep quick access to the graphic EQs. The on-surface method of adjusting graphics is really unpleasant. But admittedly I'm spoiled after working mostly on a Venue for the past couple of years. Programing a venue and making changes on the fly is so much faster and easier. But it's also nearly 10x the price new for an SC48, so of course you get what you pay for. The X32 has a lot of bang for the buck certainly and I'll probably get one for myself for smaller stuff.

The things the X32 has going for it I wish the Venue had are 1) the dedicated iOS app that's fully featured and 2) the ability to run multiple instances of the control app with access to different parameters simultaneously.

Hopefully the stuff I find non-intualtive currently will become more second nature and faster to do with more use. And I hear your about the HID implementation. I do QA on FPGA based devices all day long and nothing is trivial.

Greg,

Did you use the graphics via the screen or did you flip them down onto the faders(same way the m7 works)?
I find the fader flip much easier for the graphic eq, although I tend to use the parametrics usually to get the most control.

Darren

Re: EQ access

Mixed a private party friday night, decided to give the iPad app a try. Sitting poolside with a beer and the iPad is probably about the best life can get working in this field IMO, and much to my surprise the app is very responsive in use.

Re: EQ access

Greg,

Did you use the graphics via the screen or did you flip them down onto the faders(same way the m7 works)?
I find the fader flip much easier for the graphic eq, although I tend to use the parametrics usually to get the most control.

I did. But having access to only 8 bands at a time is also not ideal. So I'd rather have them all available on the laptop screen although the slider resolution isn't very good using the GUI. On the SC48, you get 16 faders when using the surface for GEQ adjustment, so there are only 2 banks to toggle between. Still, I prefer doing on screen with the trackball.

I got lucky and got a lightly used iPad 1 and the battery lasts all day! Had the X32 out front and wandered with the iPad occasionally but still don't want to mix with it unless absolutely necessary. But the app does give access to everything if you can take the time.

X32 in use

10 bands over 10 hours. Nothing but greatness from X32. Multiple live sound enthusiasts attending the show came over and said, "There's that Behringer board everyone raves about! What's the deal? Is it true?" Yeah. Its fun.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 0
Re: new ipad app version pictures?

I was snooping around over at the "SAC Talk" forum, and found these pictures of the new x32 ipad app that is due out "soon"...

Just can't figure out how I missed them if they were posted here...

Nice to see lots of new cool stuff (like mutes!)file1.pngfile2.pngfile3.pngfile4.png

Keep in mind that it is unlikely that any iPad 1 that is used is going to have a battery that is in any decent shape at all. Replacing the battery in one of these units is like doing brain surgery (PITA)

Huh? I still have my iPad 1 and I easily get 5 to 6 hours of hard use - with at least 25% remaining. It hasn't been coddled by any stretch. And even if the battery goes bad, Apple will swap it for $100 just like the iPhone. Indeed, you'll more than likely walk out the door the same day with a refurb device. The battery would be the least of my worries. The piddly 512MB of RAM is more a concern. Unless B programmers get really lazy that shouldn't be an issue for their iPad apps.

Personally for a little more I would get a refurb iPad Mini, but the app on a full size iPad is very nice.

Huh? I still have my iPad 1 and I easily get 5 to 6 hours of hard use - with at least 25% remaining. It hasn't been coddled by any stretch. And even if the battery goes bad, Apple will swap it for $100 just like the iPhone. Indeed, you'll more than likely walk out the door the same day with a refurb device. The battery would be the least of my worries. The piddly 512MB of RAM is more a concern. Unless B programmers get really lazy that shouldn't be an issue for their iPad apps.

Personally for a little more I would get a refurb iPad Mini, but the app on a full size iPad is very nice.

+1, I burned through about 3% battery life on my iPad 2 mixing a 1.5 hour set.