X32 Discussion

Re: Master/Slave X32 with X32 Compact

Hi all. I have some questions about metering: Basically I understand that with the 32 main analog channels I should set my Gain to about -18dB. So:

1. How about for Aux input? Is it the same?.
Yes, treat all inputs the same, that makes it easier to mix.

2. How does it work for Analog outputs? Like if I have a mix bus being used for a monitor send, what should those meters read for that bus?.
As Tim said, it depends what level you need downstream, but -18 is a good place to start.

3. How about the LR meters that are on the right hand side of the display? It seems like keeping those at -18dB is going to be difficult. Am I supposed to or is that meter different.
It is still the same. If you have ten sources at -18dB and you put their faders up to the 0dB marking and you have 0dB on the subgroup/mixbus then those ten sources will combine to give you -8dB at the output, so normally you would not pull the faders quite up to 0dB except for the solo voice/instrument. Again, your exact target level depends on the downstream equipment, but you should try to avoid using up all the headroom on the outputs.

Meter scale is the same for all sources on the X32, they are all referenced to 0dBFS. Depending on down-stream equipment you may need more or less output level. That's why there are faders and other ways of changing levels.

OK, so I still need some clarification. Are the meters on mix buses reflecting input to the bus or output from the bus? Also, any fader I turn up is going to increase the LR meter by the display screen. For example, I hooked up my phone to an aux input and played music through the X32. Just that by itself caused the LR meters by the display screen to hit about -12dB. I can't imagine what will happen when all the channels are sending input to the LR bus. What am I not understanding? Do I just have the phone music coming in too hot to the LR bus? I should add that I don't have any output speaker systems set up. I am only listening through headphones and watching the meter displays.

Would it be a true statement that any meter reading on any meter on the X32 would be acceptable as long as it NEVER clips?? I really want to get this right.

Thanks

Input meters shows the input levels and output meters shows output levels. What happens if you move the mixbus fader down?

maybe you should checkout some multitrack recordings, either self recorded or some of the free multitrack projects on the web, load them to a DAW and route the single tracks via the XUF to the channels of your X32 and checkout some mixing tasks. Nothing would bring you more experience than trying it on your own.

Analog vs Digital metering, level implications..

What Klaus said.

He's the deal: back in Ye Olde Analogue Dayz, there were guys mixing Bands You've Heard Of® with all kinds of red lights flashing. Midas made a significant analog impression when doing so on their mixers did not result in disagreeable distortion, but I digress...

Think about an analog meter, it pegs out at +4. In the Olde Dayz, we were taught to think that pegging the pointer against the right hand stop was Bad Audio, but when referenced to the actual maximum voltage output of the console, there was probably still around 16dB of headroom. PA systems back then were frequently set up with input sensitivities somewhere between 1.4v and 3v. for "full tilt boogie" so hitting the pointer stop was probably where you were on the edge of the rig's capabilities. The human tendency to run something until you run out of it still exists, though, so it's very common to see techs hitting the top of a meter even though it's bad practice (think "DJ")... and much, much hotter signal-wise than when done on conventional analog metering.

Another factor is what you're mixing. If you're doing EDM where tones are continuous, then levels will certainly increase with the number of active inputs. In more common, human-produced music where few inputs contain continuous levels, those levels don't add as much to the average output signal as you might think.

As for what meters show what signals and where in the signal chain it detects those levels... that info should be in the block diagram provided by Behringer (they do provide that, don't they?). That said, "master" meters are usually post-fader. Meters on individual inputs are typically switchable, but bet on post fader as the default.

As for your phone, yes, it's simply too loud. Is there a problem turning it down? If so, the Aux inputs have a Trim control with +/- 12dB of adjustment.

Re: Analog vs Digital metering, level implications..

As for what meters show what signals and where in the signal chain it detects those levels... that info should be in the block diagram provided by Behringer (they do provide that, don't they?). That said, "master" meters are usually post-fader. Meters on individual inputs are typically switchable, but bet on post fader as the default.
Yup, they provide a decent block diagram.

On the x32 the master meters (LR/C) is indeed post fader. The channels input meters are post gain but pre-everything else and all output meters are post faders.

While you have access to extended metering info using the osc-protocol, the actual console and remote software currently doesn't allow for global metering insert points but instead relies on showing intermediate metering in the channel details view for the different processing blocks, e.g. eq, dynamics, gate, etc...

Re: X32 in use

Hey Andrew, They are indeed the SRX718s. The pair are being driven bridged-mono with a QSC RMX4050HD. The tops are Turbosound TXD-151's, being driven with another 4050 but being run in stereo. It's a great little setup with lots of punch.
Chris

Thanks Chris! Much useful info there. So you're running the speakers at 4 Ohms and giving them 4000W of power according to the spec on the QSC RMX4050HD? I want one! :)

Sorry for going off topic people, but I've been after a real world example of this system for a long time!

Re: I am still in search of the "advertised" 100 preset library for channel strip,

Hi ! Some one from Behringer still here ????? :x~:-x~:mad:

I have now 3 Hardware Problems with my X32 and i send a Email to UK Support Team 3 Days ago and ask for Service Repair. ( At this time webside didnt work and there was no Webformula online)

BUT NOBODY ANWSER !!!!!

OK you have Problems with your Servers but i can`t belive that noboby can fix your Serversystem into 1 1/2 WEEKS !! I would be fired when our Factory Serversystem did not work for such a long Time !

I ask for Help at your Facebook side ......... no Help. Only "please contakt the UK Help Cennter" ( Ha ha ! )

I send a PM message in a German Board to one off your empolyed...... no anwser.

At the emergency Webformula that i found now on Facebook i can´t insert a German Mobile Number and without i can´t finish the formular. How funny .....:x~:-x~:mad:

I can not believe that that is your Custemer Support !

So i sit here with my broken X32 and i am very angry ..........

Never ending Story...........

Recive Mail form Care on Wednesday.

I send a anwser on Thursday with ALL the thinks they want to have.

Friday ..... nothing.....

Saturday and Sunday... ok they didnt work.

Monday .... nothing....

16:45 i got a Mail

"We didnt recive a anwser so we close your call. !! WTF ?????

CAN SOME PLEASE REPAIR THERE FUC..... SERVER SYSTEM ???!!!!!!!!

3 Weeks lost now and i need my X32 back on 20.09. !!!!!!!

Last edited:
Subgroup compression

When setting compression for a subgroup is it possible to unlink the compressor so that the left and right drive a compressor separately ? Looking at it I presume that the L&R are summed to drive the compressor !

thanks

Re: Subgroup compression

When setting compression for a subgroup is it possible to unlink the compressor so that the left and right drive a compressor separately ? Looking at it I presume that the L&R are summed to drive the compressor !
There is the Link Preferences in Setup - global, Dynamics Link. To unlink only one instance, I can't find another way than unlinking the channels/buses themselves.

Last edited:

Input meters shows the input levels and output meters shows output levels. What happens if you move the mixbus fader down?

maybe you should checkout some multitrack recordings, either self recorded or some of the free multitrack projects on the web, load them to a DAW and route the single tracks via the XUF to the channels of your X32 and checkout some mixing tasks. Nothing would bring you more experience than trying it on your own.

That sounds like a great learning idea for me. But actually I am new to using DAW software. I only have Tracktion 4 which I was entitled to by buying the X32. I want to try what you said but don't want to spend a lot of time learning DAW software. Anyone using Tracktion 4 that could give me a quick overview of how to get it set up to be able to play back multitrack files into my X32? I have a laptop with Tracktion loaded so I have the hardware. Just not sure how to get it all setup without a steep learning curve.

Thanks

OK, I've been playing with Tracktion a little and I am starting to get the hang of it (slightly). I downloaded a sample multitrack recording and I am working to get it playing correctly using my laptop and the Card USB interface.

However, I am seeing something that looks like it may be a problem. I am hoping not but need to ask you all.
I am using the default bus assignments for effects. Presently I am using Effect 1 and 2. The first effect uses Bus 13 and I only have vocal channels using that bus (for vocal reverb). The second effect uses Bus 14 and I use that as an instrument reverb. I only have two drum channels set to use it. However, whenever I run something through the board such as music from my phone into the AUX channels or Tracktion 4 files, I always see a small amount of activity on Bus 14 and if I solo that bus I hear (faintly) some music coming from it. I have checked all of my faders to make sure nothing is up just enough to make this happen. I seem to have all faders down all the way except for the two I want on that bus. Yet still I will play something that is only coming in on two input channels not set to send to that bus and still I will see a small amount of activity on that bus. My Effect 1 is Plate Reverb and my Effect 2 is Vintage Reverb.

Any possible explanation for this besides something is wrong with my X32? I really don't want anything to be wrong with it. I know, who does, it's just that its brand new and am having enough issues getting up to speed with it without it having issues of its own. I want all the issues to be mine, not the board's :-(

OK, I've been playing with Tracktion a little and I am starting to get the hang of it (slightly). I downloaded a sample multitrack recording and I am working to get it playing correctly using my laptop and the Card USB interface.

However, I am seeing something that looks like it may be a problem. I am hoping not but need to ask you all.
I am using the default bus assignments for effects. Presently I am using Effect 1 and 2. The first effect uses Bus 13 and I only have vocal channels using that bus (for vocal reverb). The second effect uses Bus 14 and I use that as an instrument reverb. I only have two drum channels set to use it. However, whenever I run something through the board such as music from my phone into the AUX channels or Tracktion 4 files, I always see a small amount of activity on Bus 14 and if I solo that bus I hear (faintly) some music coming from it. I have checked all of my faders to make sure nothing is up just enough to make this happen. I seem to have all faders down all the way except for the two I want on that bus. Yet still I will play something that is only coming in on two input channels not set to send to that bus and still I will see a small amount of activity on that bus. My Effect 1 is Plate Reverb and my Effect 2 is Vintage Reverb.

Any possible explanation for this besides something is wrong with my X32? I really don't want anything to be wrong with it. I know, who does, it's just that its brand new and am having enough issues getting up to speed with it without it having issues of its own. I want all the issues to be mine, not the board's :-(

Robert no offense but every console issue you have brought up so far has been operator error. Are you going to learn every nuance of this console by posting a step by step here cause wow man. Put the keyboard down, and lock yourself up with the console for a week... It won't bite you, or blow up. Sheesh

Can you post a link to your scene file? Perhaps someone could look into it for you. I tend to believe that something is setup wrong, but that should be fairly easy to tell from your scene file.

Re: I am still in search of the "advertised" 100 preset library for channel strip,

Never ending Story...........

Recive Mail form Care on Wednesday.

I send a anwser on Thursday with ALL the thinks they want to have.

Friday ..... nothing.....

Saturday and Sunday... ok they didnt work.

Monday .... nothing....

This is very disturbing! Behringer where are you guys?

Wow, I often say at work that I'm glad we don't run a nuclear plant or an airline. Probably Uli is glad his business isn't in a life or death critical field either.
I'm sure one of the Behringer guys watching this forum will see the post and get it sorted.
A lot of the trouble at the moment is probably down to an external supplier not coming up with the goods, so Behringer is up shit creek waiting for the supplier to turn up with the paddle, and probably slightly short of options at this point.

Re: X32 Discussion

Yessir. That's what I meant by the XUF Firmware.

So, it was the board firmware to 1.15, the Windows audio drivers and the card firmware.

OK, I haven't actually used the mixer very much after the update, but in general I have found playback from most daws and/or into multichannel interfaces to be unstable on all my windows computers unless I clean them up and get rid of all processes that are not needed for the task. I think there is some stuff on the SAC-forum on cleaning up and optimizing Windows computers, Christian Boche put up some links (in this topic maybe) a few months ago.

btw, check the indicator in top of the display for the status of the interface when it goes quiet.

Last edited:

One slight possibility is that the aux inputs that your phone is connected to has been assigned to other channels as well, and that there is a send open on one of them. Whenever there is something weird going on, do a full reset (save your scene first) and try again from scratch. [Setup - Config - Initialize console]

And post your scene file, we might be able to tell you where you went wrong (if you did).

Gotta say, as a computer geek, that the forums.behringer.com being down this long is crazy. If it was setup properly with a virtual machine it could have been moved to any number of vps's and been up in hours. If all they had was backups, I could have tossed it on a linode machine and had it up and running in less than a day. A major trio of products being released and they can get a forum up? Geez, who's running that operation. It calls into question their entire computer end of the business.

Re: X32 Discussion

OK, I haven't actually used the mixer very much after the update, but in general I have found playback from most daws and/or into multichannel interfaces to be unstable on all my windows computers unless I clean them up and get rid of all processes that are not needed for the task. I think there is some stuff on the SAC-forum on cleaning up and optimizing Windows computers, Christian Boche put up some links (in this topic maybe) a few months ago.

btw, check the indicator in top of the display for the status of the interface when it goes quiet.

must admit that because everything working hunky dory have not updated to v15 and xuf drivers yet. Think I will now wait a bit longer!!!