X32 Discussion

Re: X32 Rack has arrived - setting up

Hjenning - I will be 62 in two months

DAN - Of course it is - Studer B67 reel-to-reel tape machine - besides, it has TWO wheels, one for student and one for teacher ...

Just like to thank the Behringer team for another fantastic product, really well made and another game changer!

I've only had a few minutes with my X32 rack so far, set the IP address and connected it to my wireless/iPad which works great.
The X32 is easy to navigate but the rack may take a while to fathom out.
The channel fader is obvious enough to adjust from the front panel but can other changes be made eg. channel gain from the rack itself?
Is there a manual available anywhere that might explain how to operate it from the panel.
Can't wait to hook the X32 and rack together to see what else they can do when linked.

Pete.

The channel fader is obvious enough to adjust from the front panel but can other changes be made eg. channel gain from the rack itself?
Is there a manual available anywhere that might explain how to operate it from the panel.

You have the Quick Start Guide: http://www.behringer.com/assets/X32-RACK_QSG_WW.pdf

Channel gain can be adjusted from the menu with encoders, just like the console, in Home-Config and also in Setup-Preamps.
Remember that all menus are the same, and all encoders/faders are available as encoders in the menus. Rely on the X32 manual for most things menu related, and the quick start guide for the particulars of the Rack

What's that thing that looks like a steering wheel?

It's a pinkish-brown noise generator that generates different bands of noise depending on the speed at which you turn the wheels. ;)~;-)~:wink:

Timo, have you tried the recording interface? There doesn't seem to be a driver for it, just wondering if the XUF driver works or if we have to nag Behringer about releasing a XUSB driver????
My X32Rack, although shipped on the same day, seems to be in limbo somewhere between leaving Germany and arriving somewhere, hopefully Norway.

Last edited:

Hello

I have not tested the USB - but I will look into that tomorrow - I spent time today tweaking computer setups and creating some presets, that differ from what I have in X32 - now I will be able to stay more on DCA-page, when mixing on iPad.

That "noise-generator" can record and play back up to 25kHz, when properly adjusted - as you well know :)) It also looks gorgeous, but unfortunately wheighs some 30kg and tapes cost quite a lot.

That "noise-generator" can record and play back up to 25kHz, when properly adjusted - as you well know :)) It also looks gorgeous, but unfortunately wheighs some 30kg and tapes cost quite a lot.

I have a Tandberg 10XD that supposedly did 30KHz @ 15ips when properly adjusted and with new heads, I unfortunately had some tapes that sounded brilliant but was rather coarse, so the heads got a bit worn. My favourite is an old Tandberg 6 from '58, it has preamps to die for, and I left the capstan engaged for a long time, so when used as a over-saturated tape-delay on guitar it also have a brilliant vibrato effect 8)~:cool:~:cool:

Just like to thank the Behringer team for another fantastic product, really well made and another game changer!

I've only had a few minutes with my X32 rack so far, set the IP address and connected it to my wireless/iPad which works great.
The X32 is easy to navigate but the rack may take a while to fathom out.
Can't wait to hook the X32 and rack together to see what else they can do when linked.

Pete.

Dear Pete, 

First off, congratulations on your new X32 RACK purchase!

The X32 RACK has the same screen area layout, (screen/buttons/encoders), showing the same information on all screen options of the X32.
All X32 models operate the same using the same X32-Mix iPad app and X32-Edit PC/Mac/Linux app. Many new users often download the free X32-Edit app to learn the X32 before purchasing one. All models use the same powerful X32 mix engine and are identical in regards to operation from the apps. This makes it super easy to work on any model in the X32 family. 

As Per pointed out, to adjust the mic preamp locally on the X32 RACK, click the "Setup" button beside the screen, then page over to the "Preamp" tab/page and use the encoders below the screen to adjust Preamp gain. You can also control the preamp from the "Config" page of the channel strip when a channel is selected using the select encoder on the front of the X32 RACK. The X32, X32 COMPACT, X32 PRODUCER and X32 RACK all work the same in this regard.

Hope this helps.

I have a fader issue... sadly...

Someone know where can I found a spare fader? brand and model?

Dear Michael,

Sorry to hear you are having a fader issue.
This was resolved very early on in production. Based on your fader caps in the video, I would say this is an early production model.
This is a very easy fix as there is nothing wrong with the fader itself, just the fader wheel.

Please send me a PM with your information and I will have our CARE department get in touch with you immediately to take care of this.

Dear Pete, 

.......The X32, X32 COMPACT, X32 PRODUCER and X32 RACK all work the same in this regard....

Hello

Today I was setting up tne new X32R and found out, that I could not write the name of a scene the way I wanted.

I wanted to write 16 LR + 16/5 MON ( first layer for FOH - second parallel layer for monitors )

But there was no way to put the / in the text.

On X32R using the encoders there was a choice of three set of symbols/letters - one of them showing / in the title - BUT NOT IN THE PAGE
On my laptop I have / but X32R did not react to that
Same thing when trying to use iPad mini for that.

Naturally this is not ruining my life, but it seems odd, while it is in the list of symbols on X32R screen...

Last edited:

Naturally this is not ruining my life, but it seems odd, while it is in the list of symbols on X32R screen...

It isn't listed among the legal symbols in X32Edit, and I'm sure it is for the very good reason that it would result in an illegal file name when the file is stored, (and thus crashing the whole thing and ruining your life)

I have a Tandberg 10XD that supposedly did 30KHz @ 15ips when properly adjusted and with new heads, I unfortunately had some tapes that sounded brilliant but was rather coarse, so the heads got a bit worn. My favourite is an old Tandberg 6 from '58, it has preamps to die for, and I left the capstan engaged for a long time, so when used as a over-saturated tape-delay on guitar it also have a brilliant vibrato effect 8)~:cool:~:cool:
Isn't that called flutter?

I still have my old sony tc-377 with its simple tape loading. I haven't used it for a very long while though. I remember when editing songs using a razor blade and adhesivetape and the editing tool was a kind of jig for the splicing :). The crossfades was the angle of the splice section.

Last time I bought reels I got a big load of re-used datacenter tapes, quality stuff they said, that I regret afterwards. The magnetic surface loosened from the plastic base and clogged everything in the tape path :(

Well, I still have three dcc's on my shelf. Anyone that have some tapes to spare? ;)

It isn't listed among the legal symbols in X32Edit, and I'm sure it is for the very good reason that it would result in an illegal file name when the file is stored, (and thus crashing the whole thing and ruining your life)

Hello

According this picture - Behringer is including something "illegal" in X32R - shall I call police or UN or what :lol:

IMG_1399.jpg

EDIT - I made quick test - recording and playback via USB into iMac with Tracktion works without any "rain dance"

Nuuska - 61 years :twisted:

Last edited:

Dear Michael,

Sorry to hear you are having a fader issue.
This was resolved very early on in production. Based on your fader caps in the video, I would say this is an early production model.
This is a very easy fix as there is nothing wrong with the fader itself, just the fader wheel.

Please send me a PM with your information and I will have our CARE department get in touch with you immediately to take care of this.

Joe

Thanks for your reply

The video which I posted, I found it in youtube and isn't my desk, but the failure is the same.

BTW, the dealer in my city pay attention about my problem and they will send my desk to the official service.

Best regards

Isn't that called flutter?

I think it's wow, flutter refers more to abrupt changes in speed, like when the spool suddenly picks up the slack and gives the tape a jerk.

According this picture - Behringer is including something "illegal" in X32R - shall I call police or UN or what :lol:

Since it is only advertised and not actually provided, it is probably more a case for whatever fair trade organisation your country have.

I guess the display is the same on all the X32, so maybe we should bug-report it to avoid sleepless nights in the future :)~:)~:smile:

Last edited: