X32 Discussion

Re: x32 on ARM - Beaglebone Black

Can you build a HD recorder with it? I haven't studied it, but can you put firmware on a chip, add a hard disk and a couple of buttons for easy recording?
Thats the thought eventually.

Im just having issues with jack. Instead Im going to try and build a native alsa cli to begin with. Aplay might work right out of the box but I dont know yet.

New Products/Namm 2014

Xdante low res (2).jpg

Dear all,

we are currently in the final testing stage of the X32 Dante, Madi and ADAT expansion cards for the upcoming production and shipment later this year.

We are also working on a 32-channel Direct-to-HD recording card for release early next year. More expansion cards are planned and will be announced at a later stage.

Next month, we will also be releasing an update to the KLARK TEKNIK DN9650 to operate with the X32 series. This will allow you to connect the X32 via AES50 to the DN9650 as a bridge to Madi, Dante, A-Net, CobraNet, Digigram Ethersound, and give the X32 external word clock sync. You can use any of these protocols via DN9650 expansion cards AND at the same time the X32's card slot for recording 32x32 to your DAW or as 32 inserts with Waves MultiRack or other low latency “Live Host” applications.

The X32 will also be compatible with the new flexible and affordable line of MIDAS stage boxes announced at WFX this week. They all feature MIDAS XL4 mic preamps and can be stacked in any configuration needed via AES50; all models are $1499 US MAP.
There will be four models, (DL151 = 24 in), (DL152 = 24 out), (DL153 = 16 in x 8 out), and (DL154 = 16 out x 8 in).

As mentioned earlier, the X32 is the heart of a large and continuously growing eco-system; at Namm 2014 we will be showing very exciting new members of the X32 family.

Warm regards

Uli

Last edited:
Re: Direct-HD Recording Card/Namm 2014

Dear all,

we are currently in the final testing stage of the X32 Dante, Madi and ADAT expansion cards for the upcoming production and shipment later this year.

We are also working on a 32-channel Direct-to-HD recording card for release early next year. More expansion cards are planned and will be announced at a later stage.

As mentioned earlier, the X32 is the heart of a large and continuously growing eco-system; at Namm 2014 we will be showing very exciting new members of the X32 family.

Warm regards

Uli
Sounds great!

Can you disclose if the expansion cards will be single purpose or multi-purpose? Will we have access to all routable channels or will they be 32-channels 'only'?

I also notice that you haven't mentioned avb. Is that option under consideration?

We are also working on a 32-channel Direct-to-HD recording card for release early next year.
Sign me up for a pre production card :twisted:

at Namm 2014 we will be showing very exciting new members of the X32 family.

oh crap, I didn't buy the X32 to get caught in a spiral of buying new, exciting stuff every year :lol:

Thank you. But How many channels for Inputs and Outputs via new cards will be available? Could you be more specific?
What about one more port extension for AES50? Or this will be done via MusicGroup and partner Klark Teknik and new software release for DN9650?
Thank you once more for X32 equipment group.

Re: New Products/Namm 2014

Dear all,

Next month, we will also be releasing an update to the KLARK TEKNIK DN9650 to operate with the X32 series. This will allow you to connect the X32 via AES50 to the DN9650 as a bridge to Madi, Dante, A-Net, CobraNet, Digigram Ethersound, and give the X32 external word clock sync. You can use any of these protocols via DN9650 expansion cards AND at the same time the X32's card slot for recording 32x32 to your DAW or as 32 inserts with Waves MultiRack or other low latency “Live Host” applications.

The X32 will also be compatible with the new flexible and affordable line of MIDAS stage boxes announced at WFX this week. They all feature MIDAS XL4 mic preamps and can be stacked in any configuration needed via AES50; all models are $1499 US MAP.
There will be four models, (DL151 = 24 in), (DL152 = 24 out), (DL153 = 16 in x 8 out), and (DL154 = 16 out x 8 in).

Warm regards

Uli

Uli, a single rack space unit with xlr outputs connected with aes50 would be on my wish list and would negate the sub snakes between my monitor console and my monitor/ foh amp racks... Just saying....
I'm sure similar configurations for 8 x inputs configured as sub snake drops would be a popular addition....

Thank you. But How many channels for Inputs and Outputs via new cards will be available? Could you be more specific?
What about one more port extension for AES50? Or this will be done via MusicGroup and partner Klark Teknik and new software release for DN9650?
Thank you once more for X32 equipment group.

Dear jan,

This is more a question of the type of card.
It depends on the architecture of ADAT, Dante and MADI in regards to channel count as well as the amount of space on the card. I will check with RND in regards to specs for each card.

version 2.0

Dear Uli,
All the new i/f cards sound great - for me especially the HD recording interface, however what is the news about the promised "free" v2 firmware and what is being developed for inclusion in this (apart from support for the new cards!)?

Last edited:

Dear all,

Warm regards

Uli

what I would love to see is something like the compact in size but with no on board I/O except aux in/out i.e just to work with the s16s - a bit like the core but with an x32 control surface.( so lighter and cheaper than a compact!).
Currently except for the aux's I rarely use the local I/O on my X32!

Last edited:

what I would love to see is something like the compact in size but with no on board I/O except aux in/out i.e just to work with the s16s - a bit like the core but with an x32 control surface.( so lighter and cheaper than a compact!).
Currently except for the aux's I rarely use the local I/O on my X32!

I think they could take these boards out of the console, and ship without them. :lol:

For me, I even would like to be without the x32 engine. Imho the best place for the engine would be on stage (e.g. a RACK) and then a X32 compact surface without any io / engine. This makes it even resilient for cable breaks, or it could work over wireless.

For me, I even would like to be without the x32 engine. Imho the best place for the engine would be on stage (e.g. a RACK) and then a X32 compact surface without any io / engine. This makes it even resilient for cable breaks, or it could work over wireless.

You're not the only one, maybe they could even make it that you can decide to put 2 control surfaces next to each other to extend the amount of faders. :) the LCD screen isn't even necessary, you can use an ipad for that. So instead of the phone holder, an ipad holder. 8)~:cool:~:cool:

I would like to build a dj style interface, with say 8 faders and simple 3 band tone control for each fader. Control of the rest may be done through the ipad. I'm thinking of a raspberry or beagleboard as a possible interface, and add faders, potmeters via AD converters. Some pfl switches and done.

Re: x32 on ARM - Beaglebone Black

So I understand correctly that you control the X32 through the beaglebone?
No, not yet. I will do that as well. But before I do that Ive asked berry techs to consider porting the editor to the arm plartform since it ought to be a re-compile on that platform without any edits (in theory at least).

What I managed to do is to output on each and every output supported by the usb interface using alsa. I.e. I can stream 32 channels of audio from a small credit card sized computer to the mixer. I had issues setting up the environment for testing and developing due to alsa being a pita. Next step is to stream audio from the mixer to the beaglebone.

I want to run the editor on a arm-based platform like the raspberry-pi. Did you know that they've sold 1.7 million raspberrys during its 18 month of existence! Thats 100.000 units/month... :-0

Unfortunetly Im not sure that the rpi can handle the streaming of 32 channels of audio since it shares the usbport with the network interface. The beaglebone ought to handle it.

Im waiting for a new development board from itead called iteaduino plus. It has an onboard sata port! Just like the cubieboard but cheaper.

The thing is, if behringer manages to release an arm based binary it will run on all of those devices and there are soon over 2 million arm based devices all over the world for almost no money! The rpi is listed for $35 and you only connect a hdmi/dvi monitor. No need to worry about some expensive laptop or other computer. You can put it into your jeans pockets...

Last edited:

You're not the only one, maybe they could even make it that you can decide to put 2 control surfaces next to each other to extend the amount of faders. :) the LCD screen isn't even necessary, you can use an ipad for that. So instead of the phone holder, an ipad holder. 8)~:cool:~:cool:

Isn't this essentially the x16 or is my memory wrong.
Sure wouldn't mind a touch screen but if 3rd party then not a tie in to apple.

Isn't this essentially the x16 or is my memory wrong.

I think so, the purpose is to have the processing (Can be anything, full x32, rack or core) and input / outputs on stage, then use a wired or wireless control surface on the FOH position. I can imagine some occasions that you will remove the control surfaces after soundcheck / setup, and do the rest with the ipad.

Sure wouldn't mind a touch screen but if 3rd party then not a tie in to apple.

You can also use whatever laptop on windows, mac, linux.
Even android applications are in development, so choice enough.