X32 Discussion

Re: X32 Discussion

It's not a bug merely an unexpected feature. Most consoles can do this but I can't think of why. Turning down the channel in the aux is often easier than muting the channel in the aux especially when you have both the mute on and send level all the way down. In this case it is two steps to get the aux on.

I don't know why you would expect the led to reflect overall channel mute status when in sends on fader mode; clearly as you have noticed the mute leds indicate channel mute per aux in this mode.

Sent from my SCH-I545

That's the way large frame analog consoles worked. Think "PM4000" and envision the concentric AUX controls: Pre/Off/Post and level.

Except now we have the full-flavored goodness of scene automation instead of note cards or memory, although automation would seem to make it redundant in the way Bill suggests.

......., although automation would seem to make it redundant in the way Bill suggests.

I agree that it might be redundant and possibly a source of confusion, but then again the same can be said for a lot of features that a particular group of users don't need. As it is, the way it is implemented is the only viable way, and it is up to the user to learn how to use the console and the features offered. Sometimes we might be able to suggest better, more intuitive ways of implementing features, but often we find that the new way that we come up with creates new issues that were not apparent to us at the time we thought of it.
One of the most difficult aspects of evolving the user interface based on user input is to keep a consistent logic across all features and operations. As it is, I feel that the Behringer development team have managed well so far.

I agree that it might be redundant and possibly a source of confusion, but then again the same can be said for a lot of features that a particular group of users don't need. As it is, the way it is implemented is the only viable way, and it is up to the user to learn how to use the console and the features offered. Sometimes we might be able to suggest better, more intuitive ways of implementing features, but often we find that the new way that we come up with creates new issues that were not apparent to us at the time we thought of it.
One of the most difficult aspects of evolving the user interface based on user input is to keep a consistent logic across all features and operations. As it is, I feel that the Behringer development team have managed well so far.

Specifically, automation would allow the "rotary" control to be reset to full attenuation or any arbitrary level, at will. On an analog desk a re-set of level would be a guesstimate at best. The "off" position served a needed function.

Don't get me wrong, I still like the on/off button because it fits my analog-legacy workflow and it's a plus for those of us who have used such features for 35 years. To me it's the right way to work, but it's not the necessity that it used to be.

Specifically, automation would allow the "rotary" control to be reset to full attenuation or any arbitrary level, at will. On an analog desk a re-set of level would be a guesstimate at best. The "off" position served a needed function.

Don't get me wrong, I still like the on/off button because it fits my analog-legacy workflow and it's a plus for those of us who have used such features for 35 years. To me it's the right way to work, but it's not the necessity that it used to be.

Thanks for the reminder. I had forgotten about the "off" setting on the other consoles. I now remember, but it still doesn't make sense on this console.

It's not a bug merely an unexpected feature. Most consoles can do this but I can't think of why.
AFAIK it's only useful in a recording studio where you don't want muting the channel in the main outs to mute it in the artist's headphones. I suppose it might be also useful with IEM's and/or singing to tracks where you might want to punch out the singer and use the vocal track in the FOH if they're having a bad night?

I've been following this thread for quite some time and have learned a great deal from everyone. I have an issue with connecting a P16M to an S16, and I am assuming I am missing something in the routing.

I've routed multiple channels' direct outs and a pair of aux outs to the P16. The AES50 Outputs for 33-40 and 41-48 are routed to the P16 1-8 and 9-16, respectively.

When connected direct to the x32, the channel direct outs as well as the auxes or mix busses that I've routed to the P16 work fine. However, if I connect the P16 direct to the S16, I lose the feeds from the auxes and/or mixbusses that were routed to the P16. I always seem to be able to monitor the channel direct outs whether the P16 is connected to the x32 or S16, but I lose auxes, mixbusses, etc if I connect via the S16.

I've been following this thread for quite some time and have learned a great deal from everyone. I have an issue with connecting a P16M to an S16, and I am assuming I am missing something in the routing.

I've routed multiple channels' direct outs and a pair of aux outs to the P16. The AES50 Outputs for 33-40 and 41-48 are routed to the P16 1-8 and 9-16, respectively.

When connected direct to the x32, the channel direct outs as well as the auxes or mix busses that I've routed to the P16 work fine. However, if I connect the P16 direct to the S16, I lose the feeds from the auxes and/or mixbusses that were routed to the P16. I always seem to be able to monitor the channel direct outs whether the P16 is connected to the x32 or S16, but I lose auxes, mixbusses, etc if I connect via the S16.
Make sure that the the s16 isn't in splitter mode.

Also make sure tha the s16 ultranet output (aes50 ch 33~48) is routed as p16 1~8/9~16 and nothing else.

Last edited:
Extreme X32 Abkrassing:)

Hi X-Heads,

Had an interesting act on stage last night...a X32!
Well, it came with a band and was used quite a special way, that I think it might be worth to share.
I'm the house a guy in a small live music club called "rockschicht" and a X32Console is our house desk. I got two S16 hooked up
on AES50 Port A. This setup was used for the headliner. So far - so normal. The support act brought an own X32Console and placed it right in the middle of the stage:)
The drummer of the band is a friend of mine and works as a soundguy, also in the "rockschicht" from time to time. His band is kind of special, and we thought, we could sometime odd concering sound as well.

We connected the 2nd X32 to the AES50 port B on the house desk and routed Aux1&2 back as sends for the mains. We made two mix scenes, the only thing that we had to change manually was the sync.
"Local" for the S16, and "AES50 B" for the support act X32. The support band has a not so common lineup. Drums, bass and three guitars - no vocals. They are playing some kind of post-rock/post-core music.
The interesting part is the integration of VST Plugins and Cubase for some additiinal backing tracks. Except for the drums, all instruments are VST plugins. More exact, they all use a pre-amps, which are connected to the X32. From there they go via firewire into cubase and than they use impluse loader with IRs for their sound. Cubase also provides click tracks and (funny thing) some additional guide tracks only for their In Ear set up. Someting like this "watch out - tempo change ahead":) The Cubase processed sounds were routed via the card outs back to the FoH X32. They did their InEar mix on stage. Quite an experience - really tight and powerful sound and no stage bleed at all (except for the drums).
Impressive, what the X32 familiy has to offer featurewise. Both gigs went smooths - we had a blast.

Christian

Some pics:
1463194_416497905139705_1217424479_n.jpgIMG_2021.JPGIMG_2022.JPGIMG_2023.JPG

Ok, had an oops moment with my X32 last weekend: had an issue with 1 mic. I had sound through the wedges, but not through FOH speakers... After a couple of walks between stage and mixer I found that I accidentally disabled the channel's send to L/R after adjusting the pan... Oops.

Ok, had an oops moment with my X32 last weekend: had an issue with 1 mic. I had sound through the wedges, but not through FOH speakers... After a couple of walks between stage and mixer I found that I accidentally disabled the channel's send to L/R after adjusting the pan... Oops.

This is a good topic, "My Oops Moments With The X32".

My ongoing one has been not realizing that a channel is assigned to a DCA, and taking a while to figure out that "hey, what's the DCA situation?" is the correct question to ask when there's no output and I think there should be. Thankfully, I'm getting quicker at asking that question.

BTW, anyone else notice that we are approaching 400 pages and 8000 posts in this thread? I wonder if those two things will coincide.

There should be prizes for the lucky poster if they do....

This is a good topic, "My Oops Moments With The X32".

My ongoing one has been not realizing that a channel is assigned to a DCA, and taking a while to figure out that "hey, what's the DCA situation?" is the correct question to ask when there's no output and I think there should be. Thankfully, I'm getting quicker at asking that question.

BTW, anyone else notice that we are approaching 400 pages and 8000 posts in this thread? I wonder if those two things will coincide.

There should be prizes for the lucky poster if they do....

Pages are user-settings dependent; I'm on page 199.

If it makes any X32 users feel better, mine went out for emergency duty to take the place of a nearby theater's less than a year old install Digico SD9. The SD9 has been intermittently crackling for a few weeks - today it shit the bed and the X32 saved the day and the show went on.
My X32 is older than the SD9.
It will remain there substituting for the SD9 console until it is fixed .
Today I feel very good about going with the VI1 over the sd9 and so glad my X32 is is supplying me with a little ROI.

If it makes any X32 users feel better, mine went out for emergency duty to take the place of a nearby theater's less than a year old install Digico SD9. The SD9 has been intermittently crackling for a few weeks - today it shit the bed and the X32 saved the day and the show went on.
My X32 is older than the SD9.
It will remain there substituting for the SD9 console until it is fixed .
Today I feel very good about going with the VI1 over the sd9 and so glad my X32 is is supplying me with a little ROI.

Hello everyone,
I'm a new user of a X32 Compact and this post has just made my day. Thank you :)

X32 Compact Assignable buttons/knobs

Hey there.

Getting the X32 Compact tomorow as a backup/small show mixer if my X32 should fail/need something smaller.

I was wondering, can I still access the user defined/assignable knobs via X32 edit? Or perhaps via midi? :?~:-?~:???:

Henning

Re: X32 Compact Assignable buttons/knobs

Hey there.

Getting the X32 Compact tomorow as a backup/small show mixer if my X32 should fail/need something smaller.

I was wondering, can I still access the user defined/assignable knobs via X32 edit? Or perhaps via midi? :?~:-?~:???:

Henning

Dear Henning,
Yes, you can access the complete ASSIGN section in X32-Edit. This is true regardless of which X32 family member you are using.
This is not possible via MIDI, as currently the MIDI implementation is limited to scene changes.
Enjoy your new X32 COMPACT!