X32 Discussion

Re: Digital Snake

I got a nice 150' multisignal snake fro Link USA. It has two CAT6, two Digital pair (dmx or audio) and 12/3 power.

http://linkusa-inc.com/DesktopModul...Download&EntryId=52&language=en-US&PortalId=0

It's listed as a Multisignal Speaker Cable. Mine is the CUS LKSPKAL 12/3 2C6A2 and I also got their split reel for it to facilitate transport.

View attachment 8781
Did you look if any of these cables are shielded? I don't like the idea of running 150ft of 120V along low-voltage signal cables. I know it's not analog audio, but still hell of EMS interference. Did you notice any problems with CAT5 or DMX (versus using separate cord for power)?

Here the spécifications :
009900_dreieck_15x12pix.gif
CAT.6, DMX & Power Hybrid Cable

Attachments

• noisegraph1.png
    noisegraph1.png
    238.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Did you look if any of these cables are shielded? I don't like the idea of running 150ft of 120V along low-voltage signal cables. I know it's not analog audio, but still hell of EMS interference. Did you notice any problems with CAT5 or DMX (versus using separate cord for power)?

Both the power and the digital pairs are shielded, the CAT6 is not. I have not had any problems with either the S16 or the DMX signals.

Re: X32 Discussion

I use an x32rack, yes... But wedding was an example."

I do have a full size X32, and I just ordered a X32 rack & S16 for my dj rack, so also for weddings. I will use it for the time being with a Eela S130 mixing console, so I have tone control on all stereo inputs.
The X32 rack is for additional outputs, mic inputs and eq. I do like I can use an ipad for remote control so much, that I go this route.
I only have a very nice klark teknik DN9340 which will become retired... Along with some other compressors and multiband limiters, and a reverb.

Hello everyone!

Because when I use "MultiRack Waves" is disabled 48v channel
and with respect to the 2.0 update .... be possible that the routing to "MultiRack Waves" will be held individually for each channel, and no group of 8 channels?

:D~:-D~:grin:

Last edited:

The problem with this approach is that too many prying eyes sees my iphone at my console. It will take anyone only a second to disconnect and walk away with my phone.

I've even had !IDIOTS! unplug the charger cable to charge their own phone!!!

+1 on that. We often forget that everything small and not physically locked can easily "walk" on their own! Given the preference, I'd rather see USB stick stolen than iPhone (we all have backups, aren't we?!!!)

The problem is all the artists that show up with the 'universal mp3-format' on some usb stick for playback.

My iphone/ipad can't easily import mp3's. so this would require me to have an extra computer for playback :-(

I insist on having all playback loaded into my computer, playing back with CombiWave

Custom- / remote switch for X32R or X-control

hello

I had an unusual gig yesterday. A band of 7 musicians had read here of me having X32R - so they hired me to come over to their gig with my mixer. I took X32R + S16 + old IBM T40 Thinkpad laptop + iPad + Apple router + cables to connect my poop into a pile.

We connected drums, percussion and stuff on left side ( looking from audience ) into S16 occupying channels 1-16 and rest of instruments + vocals into X32R occupying channels 17-32. Total of 26 inputs were used. Monitoring was simple - only 4 lines out for band + LR into their system.

Setting up was easy and we got everything running and tested, but no actual soundcheck, because main act showed up and we had to leave some time for them, too.

thinkpad was on left-hand side of keyboardplayer on top of a rack - he usually does the sound for the band - so I did NOT mix this band at all - I was rather standing by helping him to find right pages etc to tweak his stuff - after all that's how it is going to be if he ends getting one...

During the night they got pretty much everything tweaked to their liking - but it was only minor fine tuning - luckily we did have enough time to set up basics before main act arrived...

Reason for this quite lenghty writing is next question : Since X32R does not have the custom switches or encoders, that "big brother" X32 has, the keyboard player was muting DCA 8 ( controlling effect returns ) between songs - and that mute-switch is actually quite small on 14 inch screen.

Obvious solution could be to get router and one more iPad and have it lay on his keyboard with DCA-page open - they have a bunch of iPads for sheetmusic and songlists already - and they have lots of gigs and propably could afford having iPad and router - normally he'd be mixing with mouse - I prefer iPad over mouse.....

I know that we have some very talented computergeeks/propellerheads among us - so would it be possible to have a footswitch connected to laptop and use it as assignable switch for mute?

Or perhaps use the function switches of laptop as assignables for X32R

It was so nice to observe him getting along with the mixer, while playing keyboards at same time. This goes to prove, that operating system of X32 is very well designed, indeed.

Nuuska

Last edited:
A patching question

Currently using analogue multicore, but wanting to change to cat5e ASAP. Currently I can have a mix of local and Dropbox inputs ( without having to worry about the blocks of 8). If I have 3 s16 one at desk, and 2 at the stage, can I use 26 stage inputs and just 6 inputs from the s16 at the desk?

Personally, I always spec the client needs to supply the playback device, that way my " cd player, computer,mp3 player can't be blamed"... And what I mean by that is, if I'm doing a wedding and they have their first dance songs, I ask them to provide the player too, iPod, iPad etc...that way if their shit doesn't happen, it not on me.... And it's happened.

I don't think I've been to a gig in yet without my computer...it runs my lighting therefore I always have a backup playback device on hand...

Bingo.
You want to play your music through my desk/system?
Sure, but you provide the means to play it.
I mean, I don't carry guitars or drums with me.
Why should I be expected to carry anything else that is part of someone else's act?

If you need MP3 playback for your act, bring an MP3 player to the gig.
I have DI boxes. I'll gladly hook it up on stage for someone in your band/act to operate.
I am not a member of your band/act.

This also solves the issue of being given three blank CDs and being told it's disk 2 track 4, etc, which has been discussed elsewhere recently.

It might also transpire that someone would spy your laptop and say "just plug my stick into that and copy the track to your MP3 player".
There are two ways to handle that.
1) I am not a data transfer service. That carries an extra charge.
2) No way am I going to plug an unknown data device into my show laptop. I don't know where that stick has been, nor what other data/nasties it contains. I will not risk killing the show laptop (that runs the desk, etc) for that.

There are other considerations such as I might have an MP3 player, but there's no guarantee that a) there's a practical way to transfer your files to it or b) that your files will be in a compatible format.

Bringing your own playback device will pretty much guarantee that your tracks will work the way you want/need them to (assuming you've rehearsed with it and not just assumed that burning your tracks as data WAV files will allow them to play back as audio....).

Getting back to the X32 aspect of this, in my experience, I use the onboard USB recorder to record the show and I have a cheap MP3 player hooked up to two of the aux inputs.
When you think about it, when using all 32 channels from the stage, by using two onboard channels for MP3 playback means that I'm actually using 34 channels.

:)~:)~:smile:

Karl.

I know that we have some very talented computergeeks/propellerheads among us - so would it be possible to have a footswitch connected to laptop and use it as assignable switch for mute?

Or perhaps use the function switches of laptop as assignables for X32R

I don't think a lot of computer-geeking is needed to do this, X32Edit should have this implemented now.
Connecting up a midi footswitch and finding the right codes should do the trick, at least with the assignable buttons. (Ch1 - Note on - Note off - C6 to F#6 ) I can control the X32Edit when Mackie Control is enabled, don't know if it will transfer to X32, but I've got the impression someone got it to work.

I guess there is a suitable midi emulation program that will do midi from the function buttons as well, a bit of googling should turn something up.

Last edited:
Re: A patching question

Currently using analogue multicore, but wanting to change to cat5e ASAP. Currently I can have a mix of local and Dropbox inputs ( without having to worry about the blocks of 8). If I have 3 s16 one at desk, and 2 at the stage, can I use 26 stage inputs and just 6 inputs from the s16 at the desk?

Dear Paul,
You can get around the "blocks of 8" by using the Aux In Remap feature on the "home" screen of the ROUTING menu.
As of firmware 1.15, this allows you to bring in 2, 4, or 6 additional inputs from the desk, card, or AES50. For your scenario, the simplest way would be to bring in all 32 inputs from stage on the 4 blocks of 8 inputs, and use Aux In Remap to bring in 6 inputs from the local S16 or the mic preamps on the console. Once you have this patched, you can remap the channel layout however you wish by using the "source" menu on each channel's config page.

So I purchased the Behringer X32 console last week and have been testing it out. I noticed that I need to get the gains pretty hot to get the volume I desire. Anyone else feel that way? Also I'm getting "zipper noise" from the preamp gain encoder for every channel. I have the channel & main faders at 0 and the pre at like 37 and when I moving the preamp gain encoder I get the zipping noise. Is anyone else getting this? If so, what is the resolution.

So I purchased the Behringer X32 console last week and have been testing it out. I noticed that I need to get the gains pretty hot to get the volume I desire. Anyone else feel that way? Also I'm getting "zipper noise" from the preamp gain encoder for every channel. I have the channel & main faders at 0 and the pre at like 37 and when I moving the preamp gain encoder I get the zipping noise. Is anyone else getting this? If so, what is the resolution.

What is your reference for "pretty hot"? Knob position? Arbitrary number? Remember that there is another 10dB of gain change below the default position and that may account for any larger numbers you might be seeing.

Zipper noise exists on a lot of digital encoders, not just in mixers... Don't make big, fast changes during the show and you'll be fine... and for that matter, if you're having to do fast changes of great magnitude your audience will probably be hearing (or not hearing) whatever the source is, and zipper noise won't even register in their perceptions. There is no fix to this as it's generally considered to not be a problem at the $3000 mixer level. If the Midas XL8 or AVID Venue does it, that's another matter.

What is your reference for "pretty hot"? Knob position? Arbitrary number? Remember that there is another 10dB of gain change below the default position and that may account for any larger numbers you might be seeing.

Zipper noise exists on a lot of digital encoders, not just in mixers... Don't make big, fast changes during the show and you'll be fine... and for that matter, if you're having to do fast changes of great magnitude your audience will probably be hearing (or not hearing) whatever the source is, and zipper noise won't even register in their perceptions. There is no fix to this as it's generally considered to not be a problem at the $3000 mixer level. If the Midas XL8 or AVID Venue does it, that's another matter.

Tim,

I'm new to the digital world coming from the Allen Heath GL2400. I noticed that the x32 creates alot more hiss (im not passing any audio and do not have anything connected to any inputs) when the gains are up than my analog mixer. Is this normal for digital mixers? So I guess there is no fix for zipper noise? So everyone who owns an x32 has the zipper noise symptom? I can't remember reading it in this post.

Thanks
Johnny