X32 Discussion

Re: X32 Discussion

This is not correct. If you scroll back about "10.000 postings" you will find a picture of the designer team and the first prototype X32.

I didn't mean the exact MIDAS design team. From what I've heard in Vegas, Uli used some MIDAS designers to work on X32, whether as Behringer or MIDAS employees, doesn't really matter. X32 is nothing like Behringer had pre-MIDAS, and there's a lot of similarities with MIDAS Pro desks. Obviously a strong MIDAS influence. The 3216 digital mixer they've had years ago doesn't really count, it was a repacked Yamaha 01v.

I've worked with Volkswagen electronics design group (in Palo Alto, California, now in Belmont, CA), the same group designs electronics for all Volkswagen-owned brands, from Bentley to Skoda, nothing is wrong with that. No surprise that MIDAS brains influence design of all Behringer-owned brands as well.

X32 is already an absolute killer in its price segment, especially with upcoming firmware updates. Presonus SL24.4.2 keeps losing its ground, just went on sale at Guitar Center for $1499, less than half of original $3299. I doubt the AI upgrade will make much difference, the new SL32.4.2AI is waaaay overpriced ($3999 in USA).
20131205_203138(0).jpg

Question to John DiNicola: Will the MP4 (Apple's iTunes AAC file format, .M4A) direct playback from USB stick be supported in future X32 firmware upgrade?

Dear Arik,
Thank you for the question.
We currently do not have plans to incorporate MP4 (or MP3) playback direct from USB stick. Part of the reason for this is our desire to keep costs down, as these formats require licensing.

I'm happy to pay an extra licensing fee (unless the fee is ridiculusly high of course).
Problem is those fees are "all or none", they'd have to pay it on every mixer they sell - not just on those where the end user wants it :(~:-(~:sad:. I've asked before about other products and that's what I'm always told.

Re: Digital Snake

I'm looking for a snake all in one (cat + dmx + power)
I found Sommer SC Monocat Power 212 and Gepco RunONE Power Cables.
Others ?
Thanks

I got a nice 150' multisignal snake fro Link USA. It has two CAT6, two Digital pair (dmx or audio) and 12/3 power.

http://linkusa-inc.com/DesktopModul...Download&EntryId=52&language=en-US&PortalId=0

It's listed as a Multisignal Speaker Cable. Mine is the CUS LKSPKAL 12/3 2C6A2 and I also got their split reel for it to facilitate transport.

Link Cable Reel.JPG

Last edited:

Dear Arik,
Thank you for the question.
We currently do not have plans to incorporate MP4 (or MP3) playback direct from USB stick. Part of the reason for this is our desire to keep costs down, as these formats require licensing.

Hi John,

From here: mp3licensing.com - Royalty Rates
It seems like the $1.25 for mp3Pro and $0.75 for normal MP3 would be a very small price to pay for such a valuable feature. I am sure that the apple AAC file format is much more difficult to swallow, and is much less important to support.

I work in automotive, so I can relate to high volume cost issues. I am guessing that you have sold around 50,000 X32 family members at this time, so the support of MP3 decode alone would be $100,000.00.

It is unlikely that you would change the price of the X32 by $2.00, so the company would simply have to absorb this cost. I don't know about Music Group, but in my department, this amount would be "annoying", but not devastating when it hit the bottom line.

Of course, even if you choose to raise the price somewhat to cover this, you would still take the hit on the units in the field since they are already sold (assuming MP3 support would be a firmware/fpga change).

It would be "cool", but honestly, I would rather use my phone/iPod to playback music for breaks since it is easier to manage on an external device.

It seems like the $1.25 for mp3Pro and $0.75 for normal MP3 would be a very small price to pay for such a valuable feature.
Keep in mind the MSRP is usually around 4x the COGS so make that 75 cents 3 dollars. Then there is the cost of developing the player code and maintaining it. I suspect Behringer is making about 10% so if they have to "eat" $10 that would be a 6% loss of profit just on this one little feature on an X32 Rack - I'm sure you all can see that as a significant hit on the bottom line? :(~:-(~:sad:

I start to wonder how cheap MP3 player ($ 20,00) companies can even exist, when license fee is high as that. It almost "eats" the full MSRP. From what are the people paid (sales, mktg, logistics), the development or the components and production cost to build such device?

I start to wonder how cheap MP3 player ($ 20,00) companies can even exist, when license fee is high as that. It almost "eats" the full MSRP. From what are the people paid (sales, mktg, logistics), the development or the components and production cost to build such device?

Like anyone in China cares about licensing....

Sent from my SCH-I545

It would be "cool", but honestly, I would rather use my phone/iPod to playback music for breaks since it is easier to manage on an external device.
The problem with this approach is that too many prying eyes sees my iphone at my console. It will take anyone only a second to disconnect and walk away with my phone.

I've even had !IDIOTS! unplug the charger cable to charge their own phone!!!

Problem is those fees are "all or none", they'd have to pay it on every mixer they sell - not just on those where the end user wants it :(~:-(~:sad:. I've asked before about other products and that's what I'm always told.
The raspberry-pi sold in over 2 million devices today handles this by allowing the customer to buy a licence on a file that he installs on his device.

Since the x32 has a unique serial number this can be handled similary.

The problem is all the artists that show up with the 'universal mp3-format' on some usb stick for playback.

My iphone/ipad can't easily import mp3's. so this would require me to have an extra computer for playback :-(

Personally, I always spec the client needs to supply the playback device, that way my " cd player, computer,mp3 player can't be blamed"... And what I mean by that is, if I'm doing a wedding and they have their first dance songs, I ask them to provide the player too, iPod, iPad etc...that way if their shit doesn't happen, it not on me.... And it's happened.

I don't think I've been to a gig in yet without my computer...it runs my lighting therefore I always have a backup playback device on hand...

Last edited:

Yes, but you've lose the quality. All compressed formats lose somehow, AAC/m4a is the best of them all.

I dont mind playing from iPhone/iPod (thanks for nice rubber pad, I wish there will be a longer one available for iPhone 5), but it takes you from X32 screen controls. Plus, iPhone always goes dark screen in most inappropriate time.

I've seen a lot of backing track performers who hand me a CD with these tracks. Quite often it's MP3 or MP4 burned to CD (converted to WAV), so the quality is lost anyway). Haven't seen one with USB stick containing proper WAVs (suitable for X32). more often it's playback from a laptop via 1/8" stereo plug.

Personally, I always spec the client needs to supply the playback device, that way my " cd player, computer,mp3 player can't be blamed"... And what I mean by that is, if I'm doing a wedding and they have their first dance songs, I ask them to provide the player too, iPod, iPad etc...that way if their shit doesn't happen, it not on me.... And it's happened.

I don't think I've been to a gig in yet without my computer...it runs my lighting therefore I always have a backup playback device on hand...

Personally I prefer to be a nice sound guy and have everything for playback. Good CD player (Pioneer CDJ) that plays all homemade CDs, laptop that can read any format from artist's USB stick and all kinds of cables. Waaay easier than to argue with artist and promoter who was supposed to bring what. Makes easier to get more gigs. Essentially it's a customer service business, more you provide is more you get. If shit happens, audience is the one who's lost and sound guy is the one to be blamed, whether it's his fault or not.

Last edited: