X32 Discussion

Re: No Master Faser in V2.02

Today I found that the master fader was having no effect in V2.02. The mute button worked.. I went back to V1.15 and all was fine. Is there some new option in V2 that effectively disables the master fader, that I have missed?

Thanks,
Mick Berg.

Check the output routing, is the output sourced pre-fader?

Today I found that the master fader was having no effect in V2.02. The mute button worked.. I went back to V1.15 and all was fine. Is there some new option in V2 that effectively disables the master fader, that I have missed?

Thanks,
Mick Berg.

Works for me. Perhaps you changed the MAIN send to pre-fader?

Control headamps of S16s behind an X32?

Maybe somebody with a x32 rack and a full (on v2.0x) can answer my question below:

I have the following setup / AES50 connections:
FOH: X32 full <--> Stage: X32 core <--> S16 <--> S16 (+ 8 additional ADAT outs)

The X32 full is at FOH connected to the X32 core on stage. The purpose of the X32 core on stage is IEM mixes (controlled by musicians via app) and backup in case the X32 at FOH would fail. All routing is functional and I can get all my audio signals where I want. Also wifi connectivity is ok.

My question:
I'm currently running v1.15 (waiting for x32 app/edit for v2.0x...). With v1.15 it is not possible to control the gain/phantom of the S16s from the X32 full at FOH. Will it be possible to control the gain/phantom of the S16s from the X32 full at FOH with the new v2.0x firmware? This is not clear to me from the release notes.

Re: Control headamps of S16s behind an X32?

Hello everyone! Somewhat dumb question, couldn't find an answer anywhere in this thread: When using ProTools 9 with X32 via X-UF card over FireWire, ProTools doesn't see the card in "Preferences". I mean it appears as card, but when selecting "HUI" in Preferences it doesn't see the X-UF neither in "IN" nor "OUT" tabs of ProTools.

When connected via USB to the same card, it shows X-UF in both IN and OUT tabs.

Laptop: my backup MacBook Pro 15" non-unibody (2.4 GHz Intel), 10.6.8, I assume the FireWire chipset is compatible with X-UF card chipset.

Any ideas why?

I'm currently running v1.15 (waiting for x32 app/edit for v2.0x...). With v1.15 it is not possible to control the gain/phantom of the S16s from the X32 full at FOH. Will it be possible to control the gain/phantom of the S16s from the X32 full at FOH with the new v2.0x firmware? This is not clear to me from the release notes.
yes :)~:)~:smile:

Works for me. Perhaps you changed the MAIN send to pre-fader?

Well, obviously it got changed, although I didn't do it intentionally. Now there's a useless option, if ever there was one. Why would you ever want to be pre-master fader??? (I'm sure someone will come up with something!)

While I'm here, I have just had a thought. If Behringer would like to get away from the issue of post-fader inserts, why don't they just implement the automixer (which they say they have ready to go) and I would think most demand for the post-fader inserts would go away. I can't think of any other use I would have for them than with the automixer. What do others think about this?

Thanks,
Mick Berg.

Well, obviously it got changed, although I didn't do it intentionally. Now there's a useless option, if ever there was one. Why would you ever want to be pre-master fader??? (I'm sure someone will come up with something!)

one possible reason. You want to send the main signal not only to your PA System but also to the girl with the video camera for recording purpose. To you assign the main signal to several outputs, some of them postfader, some prefader.

Maybe somebody with a x32 rack and a full (on v2.0x) can answer my question below:

I have the following setup / AES50 connections:
FOH: X32 full <--> Stage: X32 core <--> S16 <--> S16 (+ 8 additional ADAT outs)

The X32 full is at FOH connected to the X32 core on stage. The purpose of the X32 core on stage is IEM mixes (controlled by musicians via app) and backup in case the X32 at FOH would fail. All routing is functional and I can get all my audio signals where I want. Also wifi connectivity is ok.

My question:

Yes but you have to run 2 cat5 cables to FOH. The console that is first in the chain after the s16 has master headamp control. Firmware version does not change this. Your chain would be S16 -> X32 -> X32 core

Re: x32 USB recorder problem

Hello,

Last weekend I tried recoding a long (12h) session with the built-in x32 USB recorder. First ~6h went fine, but after that x32 had stopped recording by itself.. since this was just a "test recording", I didn't actually check it too often and only noticed the problem after the event.

So when I check the USB stick I can see this: 3 wav files total made by the x32 USB recorder, two of them are ~2GB in size (~3h of music each), but the third file is 0 bytes in size.. so for some reason continuing the recording to third wav file failed? Any ideas why this might happen?

The USB stick has almost 8GB of free space, so it wasn't full or anything obvious like that.

Have you been able to record long sessions successfully with x32? I'm using x32 compact with firmware v2.02.

I have had blank files when I forgot to hit "stop" when I had finished recording

Yes but you have to run 2 cat5 cables to FOH. The console that is first in the chain after the s16 has master headamp control. Firmware version does not change this. Your chain would be S16 -> X32 -> X32 core

This isn't quite true, I think; the first console in line can assign either it or the other one to be the gain setter.

I wrote a post about it in this thread somewhere; OK, found it

http://soundforums.net/junior-varsity/4393-x32-discussion-432.html

it's in the middle of the page.

What I call the upstream console (directly connected to the S16) can choose to give Head Amp control to the downstream console, which then can choose to enter split mode or not.

You can do it your way, too, which is what you HAD to do in 1.15, but now there's another possibility.

This isn't quite true, I think; the first console in line can assign either it or the other one to be the gain setter.

I wrote a post about it in this thread somewhere; OK, found it

http://soundforums.net/junior-varsity/4393-x32-discussion-432.html

it's in the middle of the page.

What I call the upstream console (directly connected to the S16) can choose to give Head Amp control to the downstream console, which then can choose to enter split mode or not.

You can do it your way, too, which is what you HAD to do in 1.15, but now there's another possibility.

I wasn't aware of that. Very cool. I'm still waiting on the iPad app to upgrade to the new FW

one possible reason. You want to send the main signal not only to your PA System but also to the girl with the video camera for recording purpose. To you assign the main signal to several outputs, some of them postfader, some prefader.

True, but I always do a separate record mix, because the PA mix is often unbalanced because of different volumes coming from the stage. For instance the vocals will always be too loud in a PA mix, and the drums not loud enough.

Mick Berg.

When the ipad update coming out for the x32

In the future.

Not trying to be a smartass, much.

Middle of this month, middle of next month? Something had to be redone. Does it matter what?

The way my gigs are these days, 1.15 is still working just fine with iPads. Hope yours are, too.

Last edited:

Or perhaps switch the card recording settings from USB to firewire.. (Obviously) :roll:

Howard and Declan, I'm on Mac, no drivers needed. Yes, I switched card to USB and FireWire respectively when using that connection (proper LED was ON). Gotta be something else.

The latest firmware update for X-UF card was in July, 2013. I wonder if there are any issues with X32 2.02 firmware compatibility?