X32 Discussion

x32 USB recorder problem

Hello,

Last weekend I tried recoding a long (12h) session with the built-in x32 USB recorder. First ~6h went fine, but after that x32 had stopped recording by itself.. since this was just a "test recording", I didn't actually check it too often and only noticed the problem after the event.

So when I check the USB stick I can see this: 3 wav files total made by the x32 USB recorder, two of them are ~2GB in size (~3h of music each), but the third file is 0 bytes in size.. so for some reason continuing the recording to third wav file failed? Any ideas why this might happen?

The USB stick has almost 8GB of free space, so it wasn't full or anything obvious like that.

Have you been able to record long sessions successfully with x32? I'm using x32 compact with firmware v2.02.

Re: x32 USB recorder problem

The USB stick has almost 8GB of free space, so it wasn't full or anything obvious like that.

What was the total size of the stick? Has it been used a lot before so it could have become somewhat fragmented?

I'll start a recording overnight with a fresh stick and see what happens.

What was the total size of the stick? Has it been used a lot before so it could have become somewhat fragmented?

I'll start a recording overnight with a fresh stick and see what happens.

This was a 16GB USB stick. There were some other files on the stick aswell, but like said, the stick has ~8GB of free space, so it's not about running out of free space. Also it's new, so it's not fragmented really..

I'll probably do another test-recording overnight aswell..

This was a 16GB USB stick. There were some other files on the stick aswell, but like said, the stick has ~8GB of free space, so it's not about running out of free space. Also it's new, so it's not fragmented really..

I'll probably do another test-recording overnight aswell..

Is it a decent brand of stick? Some cheapo eBay jobbies are "upgraded", that means that they have been formatted to appear as a bigger drive but are actually a lot smaller in capacity. Hence why you should always buy a genuine decent brand (SanDisk, Kingston, hp, Samsung, TDK, etc.) or one from a store you can trust.

Hello,

Last weekend I tried recoding a long (12h) session with the built-in x32 USB recorder. First ~6h went fine, but after that x32 had stopped recording by itself.. since this was just a "test recording", I didn't actually check it too often and only noticed the problem after the event.

So when I check the USB stick I can see this: 3 wav files total made by the x32 USB recorder, two of them are ~2GB in size (~3h of music each), but the third file is 0 bytes in size.. so for some reason continuing the recording to third wav file failed? Any ideas why this might happen?

Have you been able to record long sessions successfully with x32? I'm using x32 compact with firmware v2.02.

Last month I did a 2 day festival, and recorded the whole time, using a Lexar USB 3.0 64G, with nary a problem. Using smaller units before, I have had problems with stopping and files not having any bytes at all. It might be the size, it might be the capability, but my suggestion is, if your recording matters, buy a better unit to record to. You wouldn't use an old slow hard drive you had laying around to do your studio recording, either. Just my thoughts. Hope this sheds some light.

Is it a decent brand of stick? Some cheapo eBay jobbies are "upgraded", that means that they have been formatted to appear as a bigger drive but are actually a lot smaller in capacity. Hence why you should always buy a genuine decent brand (SanDisk, Kingston, hp, Samsung, TDK, etc.) or one from a store you can trust.

Yep, I'm aware. This is a Kingston 16GB DataTraveler 100 USB 3.0/2.0 stick, which should be good, comes with a 5 year warranty too. And it's bought from a trusted store here in Finland.

Last month I did a 2 day festival, and recorded the whole time, using a Lexar USB 3.0 64G, with nary a problem. Using smaller units before, I have had problems with stopping and files not having any bytes at all. It might be the size, it might be the capability, but my suggestion is, if your recording matters, buy a better unit to record to. You wouldn't use an old slow hard drive you had laying around to do your studio recording, either. Just my thoughts. Hope this sheds some light.

Yeah, obviously I wouldn't use old crappy disks/sticks. Did you use v1.15 firmware for the 2 day festival recordings, or 2.02 ?

Re: iPAD 1 - no longer supported

Whoever says apps won't be updateable on Ipad 1 ... strange words. I own a copy of the "OnSong" app that runs both on my Ipad 1 (IOS 5.1.1) and my girlfriends Ipad 4 (IOS 7.1). The OnSong app was updated today (or yesterday) and still runs on my Ipad 1 with IOS 5.1.1

So in my opinion Behringer should NOT blame Apple for not coding the X32 app update for firmware 2.x working on the first generation Ipads.

May be I am wrong or miss something, but to be serious I would be VERY angry if the app's update will no longer work with my old Ipad.

Cheers, Henry

edit: I posted this as well in the behringer forum, but I guess HERE we will get this problem be discussed earlier ;)
And - as usual - I hope I could understandable say what I wanted to say as I am not native English speaking.

Hello all,
First ever post here so I will introduce myself. My name is Dan and I have been doing live sound for well over 10 years now. I currently freelance in the Milwaukee area mostly for production companies. One of my house gigs is for the Budweiser Pavilion[FONT=arial, sans-serif] at the Wisconsin state Fair grounds. We have a weekly free concert series that runs from May thru Sept. as well as other events including the 11 day St. fair run. On a good night there will be about 5000 people there and well over a million for the entire season. The PA is owned by the pavilion owners. There is no outside production company. It is my job to operate, maintain, and make upgrades as needed. So here comes the x32 content.

A year ago we determined that it was time to upgrade our old analog console to a new digital. We need more than 24 channels on occasion so that quickly eliminated most of the low cost options. I do not like LS9's, they are way to limited in my opinion. (No groups, DCA's, and not enough graffics to do monitors from FOH). I wasnt even considering the x32 because of the B name. I was looking closely at the Midas pro 1/2's. Then I started hearing from touring engineers how good the x32 was and the great warranty so I did some research, found this thread, ( I have read all 464 pages), and decided to go with the X32. It performed flawlessly all summer. Ive been very impressed with the sound quality and "big board" features that it has. Left / Right is taken from the AES output and run to our EAW UX8800 system processor so the signal path is pure digital from the pre-amps to the
[/FONT]processor. Our old 850 rig has never sounded better. Props need to go to the EAW greybox files as well. The gunness focusing has given 850's new life, but thats a different thread.

I am hoping for a stable Ipad app by the end of May so that I can update the firmware. I do have a few gripes about the workflow on the x32. I would really like to see an easy copy / paste function for transferring settings for eq, comps / gates, etc. from channel to channel. Ditto for the graffics in the effects pages. An easier way to get to the proper graffics in the effects (Im thinking user defined buttons). A custom fader layer would be awesome. How about an expansion card with a video out jack, even if it only mirrors the display. Thats the big ones. Its all about quick changeovers, Overall I am very pleased with the console.Thank you all for the useful info here. Im very impressed that Music Group people are involved with this discussion and providing assistance whenever possible.

I would really like to see an easy copy / paste function for transferring settings for eq, comps / gates, etc. from channel to channel. Ditto for the graffics in the effects pages. An easier way to get to the proper graffics in the effects (Im thinking user defined buttons). A custom fader layer would be awesome. How about an expansion card with a video out jack, even if it only mirrors the display.
[/FONT][/COLOR]

Hi Dan, welcome to the forum, you have found a wealth of information here, I learn from these guys every day
I hope I might be able to help you sort out some of your "hit list peeves"
First off, copy and paste... Select the channel (all attributes of the channel) or just hit the view of an attribute you wish to copy. Press utility and then copy...
Select the destination channel and hit paste... Seems easy enough.
Graphics can be copied a to b, but not slot to slot... It's rumoured it's fixed in v2.02 firmware ( slot to slot copy)
You are correct about user buttons to get to graphics, I set user key set c to page jump to effect slots 5,6...
Again hoping in the new firmware it will allow you to page jump to a SPECIFIC page.

Anyway congrats on your success with the console...

Yeah, obviously I wouldn't use old crappy disks/sticks. Did you use v1.15 firmware for the 2 day festival recordings, or 2.02 ?

At that time both desks were on the beta. Now, one of them is at 1.15, and the other has the latest.
Still waiting on an iPad app that will work with the new firmware.

Joel

Whoever says apps won't be updateable on Ipad 1 ... strange words. I own a copy of the "OnSong" app that runs both on my Ipad 1 (IOS 5.1.1) and my girlfriends Ipad 4 (IOS 7.1). The OnSong app was updated today (or yesterday) and still runs on my Ipad 1 with IOS 5.1.1

So in my opinion Behringer should NOT blame Apple for not coding the X32 app update for firmware 2.x working on the first generation Ipads.

May be I am wrong or miss something, but to be serious I would be VERY angry if the app's update will no longer work with my old Ipad.

Cheers, Henry

edit: I posted this as well in the behringer forum, but I guess HERE we will get this problem be discussed earlier ;)
And - as usual - I hope I could understandable say what I wanted to say as I am not native English speaking.

If you read the release notes for the latest update of the onsong app (highly recommended app btw!) it says
Added a warning for users with iOS versions less than 5.1.1 to update to continue receiving updates.

... for users with iOS versions less than 5.1.1 ...

Thanks Robert for chiming in, but as you and anybody can see as long as we have minimal IOS 5.1.1 the OnSong app WILL be updated. I know there are apps in the wild that doesn't work with Ipad1, Iphone4 etc due to their demand of processor power. As long as the programmer decides to code for a given budget (CPU/GPU/OS-Version-wise) he will be able to reach the goal.

As a user that bought his Ipad for just one reason: Remote controlling of my digital mixing desk (former StudioLive owner, now on X32 and X32R) I ask, no I beg the Behringer folks not to kill the Ipad One as a remote device.

Would be nice to have an official statement. That's why I posted the same on the officiel Behringer forum.

Thanks again

Henry

Thanks Robert for chiming in, but as you and anybody can see as long as we have minimal IOS 5.1.1 the OnSong app WILL be updated. I know there are apps in the wild that doesn't work with Ipad1, Iphone4 etc due to their demand of processor power. As long as the programmer decides to code for a given budget (CPU/GPU/OS-Version-wise) he will be able to reach the goal.

As a user that bought his Ipad for just one reason: Remote controlling of my digital mixing desk (former StudioLive owner, now on X32 and X32R) I ask, no I beg the Behringer folks not to kill the Ipad One as a remote device.

Would be nice to have an official statement. That's why I posted the same on the officiel Behringer forum.

Thanks again

Henry

Hmmm? I bought a used iPad 3 the day I read the news...I will be pissed.

Re: Let's not forget what is posible

The Weight is 100% X32 and listen how beautiful the reverbs are. It's kind a time ago i mixed this. So i really don't remember what i actually used but it fits the mix. Not bad for a cheap mixer!! Compression on acoustic guitar is not how i like it but it works and it is live and a surprise for me because well it was a a surprise. So for a quick fix it's pretty okay.

"Next To Normal" opens tonight

One more thank you to everyone that's helped me with my various questions over the last few months. Tonight our production of "Next To Normal" opens, which is my first "loud" show done with my X32 (actually my first "loud" show ever). I ended up renting a pair of QSC K12s to use as the main pair, and they are pretty damn amazing. I didn't get very far with SMAART, but I think I got the speaker coverage and room EQ good enough by ear. I simplified the band set-up (went from three mics to two on the drums, and took a DI from the line out of the MD's keyboard amp instead of taking his two keyboards separately) but at least that puts all the live faders on a single layer, and it's all working very nicely.

Here's the last few minutes of last night's final Dress Rehearsal, as captured by the USB Recorder from Main LR (prior to room EQ with Matrixes). The balance is a bit too much vocals, and I pushed up the wrong mic in the Natalie/Henry dialog bit, but it sounds great in the space.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11676996/N2N_0402_KSRO.mp3

Roll on tonight, and a real audience! If you're in the North Bay Area, maybe you can come see it in person! :)

Simon Eves
Sound Engineer
NTC Theater Company