X32 Discussion

Re: Even a child can use X32

@Christian - have you heard anything at all from Behringer about implementing password protection of advanced features and set-ups? This is something I could really use at the church. It's a nightmare when someone who's untrained decides to change all the routing on our current analog desk. Last week I struggled with a radio mic misbehaving only to find someone had routed it to all the groups - multiple paths through the desk and outboard later it sounded awefull.

I know I'm not Christian (well, I'm Catholic, but that's another story ;-) ), but I thought I might have some "outside the box" thoughts around this particular item.

Since there is currently no password on the X32 to 'unlock' the console, anyone with Google available to them will know to just hold the HOME button for ~5s to unlock the console, so it's really currently a matter of "security through obscurity". So, my suggestion to help save you is to export your shows/scenes to an external USB device, so if you find the desk in a less-than-optimal state left by someone else, you can just pop in your handy USB thumb drive, import the 'show', then recall the 'scene', and BINGO - back in business. No fuss, no muss, and only takes seconds to recover from anything someone could possibly do to any configuration parameter.

Hope this helps a bit,

Don

I know I'm not Christian (well, I'm Catholic, but that's another story ;-) ), but I thought I might have some "outside the box" thoughts around this particular item.

Since there is currently no password on the X32 to 'unlock' the console, anyone with Google available to them will know to just hold the HOME button for ~5s to unlock the console, so it's really currently a matter of "security through obscurity". So, my suggestion to help save you is to export your shows/scenes to an external USB device, so if you find the desk in a less-than-optimal state left by someone else, you can just pop in your handy USB thumb drive, import the 'show', then recall the 'scene', and BINGO - back in business. No fuss, no muss, and only takes seconds to recover from anything someone could possibly do to any configuration parameter.

Hope this helps a bit,

Don

Couldn't you also create a "default" scene in case you ever need to quickly get back to your system default settings?

Re: Locking the console

Alan,
I know it is not a proper solution, but if you have the setup stored on a stick, at least it is easy to restore your standard settings when things get messed up. Much quicker than checking and resetting everything on an analogue console.

Edit: Forgot to go to the last page of the thread, and now I look like a right dopey prat :blush:

Last edited:
Re: Locking the console

Thanks for the tip. I'll be sticking a USB stick somewhere safe near but not in the desk for emergencies. If I left it in the desk I'm pretty sure someone will either borrow or overwrite it.
Cheers! Al

@Rob - is there a specific reason you want Dante? Another option would be to just record the AES50. There already exists a PCI card that will do this. More products (USB) may come out in the future. Dante is more appropriate if you've already invested in amps/dsp that have Dante inputs already.
PCI doesn't work well with laptops. Many laptops don't even have PC Card slots anymore. Dante works with the included Ethernet port. I expect to see both Dante and AES50 around for a while. I have a Dante network now. I can split Dante channels anyway I want so I can send any channels to any number of places (ok, I am sure there is a limit but...). AES50 seems to be point to point (I admit I am not well versed on AES50 though). If I replace my 01V96 with an X32, right now there is no way for my LS9 to interoperate with the X32 unless I can put a Dante card in it.

I just had some time playing around with one in my local guitar center. I ordered one from them about 2weeks ago and it arrives tomorrow. I really like the x32. The buttons, encoders, and faders all feel good and fairly sturdy. I can't wait.

Hey guys! I'm new to the forum here. I am the lead audio tech at a church in Phoenix, Arizona called North Ridge Community Church.

Our church was wanting to switch over to digital in one of our multi-purpose rooms for the ease of saving and recalling the scenes. Also the mix position is up on a storage balcony next to the AC pluming and units, so an iPad app was a must to get down where the people are!

Anyway we had some people recommending the PreSonus or the Yamaha LS9. Decided against the PreSonus for the fact that it didn't have flying faders, so we were going the LS9 route. The day before I was going to pull the trigger on ordering the LS9, I got my hands on an X32, then found this forum. Anyway, I ended up spending the same amount for two of the Behringer X32's as I did for one LS9 (which was only going to have 24 channels!). I am excited to have the same mixer in both of our main rooms so our sound techs in one room will be familiar when moving to a different room if needed.

I am going to be making a bunch of training videos on using the X32 in a few weeks for training my staff at NRCC. I figured I would post them here for people who are on the fence about ordering one.

This video is just a quick video I shot for one of the pastors at the church showing him our Wedding/Event setup and how easy it is to switch between board setups for our different services.

Video Link: NRCC - Behringer X32 Scene Change for Weddings/Events - YouTube

Overall I love this board so far. I am amazed as to how much there is in the board.

One thing I figured out, if you wanted to play music off of the USB stick. You can take normal MP3 music into a converter program and convert to the 44.1KHz or 48KHz that you run your board and save it as a 16-bit .wav file. Load this onto the USB stick and then you can play from that in the USB recorder playback. It is not as easy as just having the X32's USB port be able to read MP3's but it is a workaround that I will end up using. That way I don't have to tote around an MP3 player for pre/post-service music.

I have been playing around with the XControl software as I am on the road and won't have access to my X32 for a few days. I would like to pre-build my setup and save it. So far I don't see any way of doing this. Can you save your setup in XControl without a console and if so, how?

Can you save your setup in XControl without a console and if so, how?
Not yet, I hope this feature will come soon. After all it is still a beta release (not even close to a V1.0).
So we all need just a little patience. Same goes for the 31GEQ assign in the Xcontrol.

@Drew: Welcome:)

Dear all,

here are a few quick updates:

1.) We have just released new firmware 1.07 which provides further improvements.

2.) There will be a more comprehensive manual available beginning of next week.

3.) The S16 Digital Snake is now in pre-production stage. We have planned for mass production in September.

4.) We are now working on a dramatically improved iPad app which will provide much deeper functionality.

Uli

Rock on, Uli - thanks!!! FYI - I'll be recording my FIRST show with the X32 tomorrow night. Can't wait to show off the new desk :). FOH is a 48-ch Midas Verona. Proud to have my 'baby brother' sitting next to it to capture the multitrack (via a split).

Cheers!

Don

So, I got this in my email this afternoon. I have accordingly put on my sad face:

attachment.php

Attachments

• Clipboard01.png
    Clipboard01.png
    198.9 KB · Views: 0

I am trying to do the firmware update to my new x32. The board is not reading the usb drive on startup or when I change the sample rate. What do I need to do to make this work. I have been downloading the file to the drive but then noting happens. Is the a size limitation for the usb? Do I need to unzip the file? Any help would be great.

I am trying to do the firmware update to my new x32. The board is not reading the usb drive on startup or when I change the sample rate. What do I need to do to make this work. I have been downloading the file to the drive but then noting happens. Is the a size limitation for the usb? Do I need to unzip the file? Any help would be great.

Yes, you need to unzip the file, then put the ".update" file on the root of the USB.

Re: USB drives

Not all USB drives seem to work, try a different make if you have one, alternatively reformat it remembering to save what you have got stored on it.

Edit: Unzip, wasn't paying full attention.
Instructions doesn't actually tell you to unzip, that step should be included in the update instructions.

Last edited:

Dear all,

here are a few quick updates:

1.) We have just released new firmware 1.07 which provides further improvements.

2.) There will be a more comprehensive manual available beginning of next week.

3.) The S16 Digital Snake is now in pre-production stage. We have planned for mass production in September.

4.) We are now working on a dramatically improved iPad app which will provide much deeper functionality.

Uli
Hi Uli
Thanks for communication, it is very much appreciated. It is really great to see the updates and changes coming quickly.
One question. Is there a rough estimate when XControl might be available for Mac?
Thanks
Paul

To Uli: Price Change on Existing Order

To Uli:

First, congratulations on a wonderful product!

I'm very frustrated and disappointed, though. As a Behringer dealer, a month or so ago, we ordered an X32 for a client of ours from our distributor, Starin Distributing, who has had over 1500 X32s on order from you for many many months. My original expected ship date was August 15th. Shortly before August 15th the expected ship date was changed to September 15th. I was upset when my customer canceled his order and bought one from Musicians Friend, instead, because they could ship immediately and I couldn't. Then, today, as a final slap in the face, while I'm waiting for you to supply my distributor (a month late), I get a letter from Starin saying that you have raised the price (effective today) and are canceling the shipping discount on my EXISTING ORDER. In other words, I am being penalized close to $200 because you couldn't ship when you said you would. Where I come from, a deal is a deal. I think you should honor the original terms on any existing orders. Then, if you want to raise prices on future orders, I have no problem with that.

Thanks for letting me vent!