X32 Discussion

Re: Possible to SAVE only sections of a Scene? (forgive laziness)

I don't really want to have to export to file, move to computer, edit, and put back, but obviously that would be the ultimate solution. Problem is not WHAT to recall, but that I'm still tweaking the values and need to keep re-saving.

Absolutely you don't want to have to do all of those export/import activities on a recurring/real time basis. I just thought that you could use the approach to investigate better how each of them work. Hopefully there is a version of the selector buttons that results in stable performance and then from that point forward you could operate with confidence. You probably have a certain "family" of operations that you hope to do very quickly. By experimenting with the different options and exporting the snippets you would be able to review in detail which combination works with the least collateral damage. Hopefully there is a combination that works without any collateral damage. There are so many settings potentially changing that just perusing the board may be insufficient to illustrate unintended consequences. By having a training session where each actual command is explicitly listed like it is in a snippet file, your knowledge and confidence with the tool will grow pretty quickly.

Having the X32 OSC manual really helps as well.

Re: X32 Discussion

My first post, corresponding to my first mix with 2.04 last night. Salsa band in small dance club. After updating to software on my iPad to get a look at it, I realized that I was committed since new iPad app is not compatible with 1.17 firmware and there was no way to go back. (I can't imagine mixing anymore without being able to interact directly with musicians to set monitors and to be able to mix while listening to what the dancers are hearing in the middle of the room, meaning I had to make the board work with the iPad.) So 4 hours before my gig, I updated the firmware and PC app. Turned out that updating the board was super easy, and it worked fine.

I liked the invert function for scribble strips that effectively gives several more colors, and the RTA is really, really nicely done. When saving scenes, the name no longer pre-populates with the name of the last scene loaded. Bit of a PITA to have to enter the whole name again and just change the number I append for the version being newly saved. My list of complaints with the firmware and iPad app stops there. Behringer, you really nailed the firmware and iPad app.

And then there's the PC app. I like to run a couple of instances to put channel meters and buss meters on a monitor attached to a laptop, and I was going to add a third instance for the RTA display. Problem was, the PC apps kept losing communications and stopping. Not all at the same time, just randomly. A few times the meters on one display would freeze, but switching to another set of meters would show operation, and then switching back to the ones previously frozen would restore operation. But mostly I got a popup saying communication had been interrupted. Sometimes on the meters, and almost immediately on the RTA. I don't think I saw it work more than 10 seconds, and frequently if would stop while copying all of the configuration data from the board. Even as the two meter instances just kept working. It acts as if it's looking at the integrity of the data being received, and just one unexpected error causes that instance of the PC app to assume a communication failure and stop cold. What the app desperately needs is to keep trying for a while when it thinks comms have gone bad.

I never had a problem with the iPad app dropping out while the PC app was consistently failing. Also, I tracked the second act. That added a bit to CPU utilization, but didn't seem to affect the rate at which the meters and RTA were thinking comms to the board had failed. Fix that Behringer, and then I'll have absolutely nothing to complain about.

Same thing with iPad app. No problems at all. It's just the PC app that seems to have gone out without enough testing.

I am having issues after upgrading from 1.15 to 2.04.

After much wrangling I finally got my scenes and 2.04 installed.

What I have messed with so far seems ok except

The Stereo Master Fader jumps around and sticky when you move it up or down.

This cannot be good. It is an accident waiting to happen.

I am thinking this is software because when I revert back to 1.15 it does not happen

Any ideas?

I did post this at the Behringer Forum also.

X32-Edit frequent disconnections

I never had a problem with the iPad app dropping out while the PC app was consistently failing. Also, I tracked the second act. That added a bit to CPU utilization, but didn't seem to affect the rate at which the meters and RTA were thinking comms to the board had failed. Fix that Behringer, and then I'll have absolutely nothing to complain about.

Same thing with iPad app. No problems at all. It's just the PC app that seems to have gone out without enough testing.

I can confirm on tests and first show after update to 2.04 that iPad app is ok, while the Mac X32-Edit shows the same frequent disconnections described above on the PC version. Nothing else has been changed in the setuo, so definitely communication bugs between console and PC (or Mac in my case) application.
cheers

Re: Safe Recall Bug in 2.04?

I have a feeling that these "bugs" some of us are seeing are happening the first time the firmware is loaded, but once it "fixes itself", it no longer presents.My issues with the RTA not being displayed and the tap tempo button not working have been working fine. Even if I reinitialize.

I was reading this sentence in a kind of disbelief. Until on a completely unrelated matter to RTA display, it was experienced in the first soundcheck after 2.04 migration:
- nicely migrated all the scenes from 1.15.
- after a complete scene recall in 2.04 (no safes of any kind), the channel 1 - drum kick - was sending an unknown high signal to effect busses - reverbs -, while on the console it was displayed (and required) no sends to busses 13-16.
- with the customer on stage and the typical panic mode kicking in, I planned to look at this further on.
- by the end of the drum set soundcheck, the issue was gone. Punchy kick, nice and dry.

I have no explanation for the fact. The issue just went away in a few minutes.
Now all scenes have been re-saved in place, although further tests are required.
cheers

I was reading this sentence in a kind of disbelief. Until on a completely unrelated matter to RTA display, it was experienced in the first
- after a complete scene recall in 2.04 (no safes of any kind), the channel 1 - drum kick - was sending an unknown high signal to effect busses - reverbs -, while on the console it was displayed (and required) no sends to busses 13-16.
- with the customer on stage and the typical panic mode kicking in, I planned to look at this further on.
- by the end of the drum set soundcheck, the issue was gone. Punchy kick, nice and dry.

I have no explanation for the fact. The issue just went away in a few minutes.
Now all scenes have been re-saved in place, although further tests are required.
cheers

Was this the Vintage Room Reverb by any chance?

I have been mixing using 2.04 since the morning it came out with zero problems. I use x32edit on th PC every week with no problems. I have a wifi bridge between my x32 and the x32rack and have x32edit connected to both.

Last edited:
CARE TEAM - need help. Audio Dropouts on AES50

We built a 175' shielded ethernet cable with ethercon ends for out AES50 link between the x32rack and the x32. (x32rack is operating as an s16). During yesterday's service we had two dropouts. (Sounds like a POP, then no audio, and then it comes back). Each time it was when someone was near the cable. Weve had those almost every week during setup/practive but this is the first week weve had it happen during the service.

After the service we did some experimentation. I had two people hold onto the cable at a point about 10 feet from one end and another about 20 feet from that to ioslate the rest of the cable. I then took the cable and shook it around a bunch. Without fail we could make this phenomenon happen every time.

Can anyone explain why? Is it an electrical induction issue? Is it a static electricity issue? The other times when people were near the cables no one was shaking it.

Any thoughts?

Re: CARE TEAM - need help. Audio Dropouts on AES50

We built a 175' shielded ethernet cable with ethercon ends for out AES50 link between the x32rack and the x32. (x32rack is operating as an s16). During yesterday's service we had two dropouts. (Sounds like a POP, then no audio, and then it comes back). Each time it was when someone was near the cable. Weve had those almost every week during setup/practive but this is the first week weve had it happen during the service.

After the service we did some experimentation. I had two people hold onto the cable at a point about 10 feet from one end and another about 20 feet from that to ioslate the rest of the cable. I then took the cable and shook it around a bunch. Without fail we could make this phenomenon happen every time.

Can anyone explain why? Is it an electrical induction issue? Is it a static electricity issue? The other times when people were near the cables no one was shaking it.

Any thoughts?
If it happens when you shake it I'd suspect a bad cable. The aes50 can handle transmission errors to some extent and if the cable is operating close to the aes50 data correction limits anything can disturb the data beyond recovery.

Updated X32 rack... iPad help!!

Updated my X32 rack to 2.04....can someone give me console and iPad settings for connection?
5ghz router works fine with old firmware and old iPad..now have an iPad 3.

I have a feeling that these "bugs" some of us are seeing are happening the first time the firmware is loaded, but once it "fixes itself", it no longer presents.My issues with the RTA not being displayed and the tap tempo button not working have been working fine. Even if I reinitialize.
Could it be that the console has to be completely initialized in order to get rid of whatever erroneous bits are left in some registers? I have found that after a lot of mucking about with routing etc. particularly on the effects, the console needs a fresh start to behave properly. Just like a PC, where a restart often is needed to get things back in the right working state.
Another strange issue that I've seen, is that my "forward or previous" scene recall doesn't work at all. I can only change scenes using the rotary encoders. Has anyone else had this issue? Is there a new option I'm not aware of? One that disables that function?

If the console is set to "Cues" in SETUP-global-Show Control, it works with cues

Re: Updated X32 rack... iPad help!!

Updated my X32 rack to 2.04....can someone give me console and iPad settings for connection?
5ghz router works fine with old firmware and old iPad..now have an iPad 3.

Find the ip settings of your router, that hasn't changed. Assuming your router is at 192.168.1.1, set your console to 192.168.1.20, mask to 255.255.255.0, and preferably set your iPad to static address 192.168.1.10 (or higher) if you don't turn off DHCP on the router (makes room for some DHCP addresses before you get problems with two devices having the same ip.

Find the ip settings of your router, that hasn't changed. Assuming your router is at 192.168.1.1, set your console to 192.168.1.20, mask to 255.255.255.0, and preferably set your iPad to static address 192.168.1.10 (or higher) if you don't turn off DHCP on the router (makes room for some DHCP addresses before you get problems with two devices having the same ip.

Makes sense but I am a dummy so how ALL the fields on the X32 and the iPad have to be set?
Thanks a lot!

Snippet or ?

Guys,

On a show now and I need to save just 2 different variations of of bus sends on two channels? Would this be considered a snippet, and if so when I save it in the snippet screen do I just check the channel boxes that I want to have the bus sends change on?

Re: Snippet or ?

Guys,

On a show now and I need to save just 2 different variations of of bus sends on two channels? Would this be considered a snippet, and if so when I save it in the snippet screen do I just check the channel boxes that I want to have the bus sends change on?
Yes that is what you do, although I would also check the send boxes to limit the parameters affected to the merely the sends for those channels

Makes sense but I am a dummy so how ALL the fields on the X32 and the iPad have to be set?
Thanks a lot!

OK, first you need to find the address of the router, and assuming you are too much of a dummy to change stuff on the router, and it hasn't had DHCP turned off, connect your iPad to the router.
Start up X32mix and the connection box should pop up, otherwise open the setup, and the values will be in the first tab. "This iPad" will show the address of the iPad, now enter the same address in the "X32 Console" box, but change the last number, so if the iPad is 192.168.1.7 , enter 192.168.1.20 for the console.
On the console, go into SETUP - network and enter the same number for ip address: 192.168.1.20 in this case.
push the encoder at the end to assign the address (don't know if it actually makes a difference)
Enter 255.255.255.0 in the mask section and just leave the gateway part blank.
On the iPad, hit "connect" in the pop-up window or the Setup - iPAD tab

Re: CARE TEAM - need help. Audio Dropouts on AES50

I"ve tried multiple cables. I am not sure that is the case.

Reread the info in the Audio over Ethernet cable workshop link I sent you.

If you are using different individuals of the same type of cable, your cable is the wrong type, meaning that the pairs are not isolated enough from each other. There can be a disruption from the capacitance between pairs changing from movement/bumping/pulling/squeezing.

At least I think that's what's going on when we created disruptions from that kind of physical interference.

If you are using different types of cables and holding the ends constant but messing around in the middle, then all of them are the wrong kind. IMO there needs to be physical isolation of pairs with spacers/padding/etc., or else the kind of bulk around the cables that comes from having multiple cables conglomerated in the same cable with an added overall jacket, like the various quad Ethernet cables (of which I've only been able to find one STP so far --Proplex--, and its handling stiffness is so obnoxious that I have a hard time recommending it, except that it's the only one).

Good luck.