X32 Discussion

Re: X32 Discussion

I do the exact same thing as you brother... I do a few "practice taps" before I'm ready to start tapping fo reals. That is not an issue with any other digital desk (that I've been on) or an old school piece of outboard like a TC d2.

Actually, that's a lie! Now that I think about it, I mixed on a soundcraft si somethingorother that had a weird tap reaction as well... It had the same "averaging" feel as the x32.

For example, If I want to tap between a 1/4 note and switch to half note mid way through the chorus of a song, it takes awhile for the delay time to actually change.

I just tried this on the x32 windows edit software, and it did exactly what I'm referring to:

Tapping along with a 120 bpm 1/4 note click, it goes there right away... 500ms. Then change to an 1/2 note tap, and it takes 4 taps to get it to the desired delay time (1000ms). Change it back to 1/4 note and it takes another 4 taps. This would be fine, if it wasn't for the averaging going on where you get 3 delay times between 500ms and 1000ms. 500, then 630, 760, 890 and then 1000. Those steps in the middle really mess with the sound, especially when feedback is involved. And, it should not take a full bar to change the delay time. I want it to change NOW, not eventually get there a bar from now...

I think you've distilled down the actual sequence that occurs.

Okay, can we make the averaging a switchable option?

I was on a Profile last night and set up 2 tap tempo switches, one for Press and the other, Release. I was able to tap +/- 1BPM regardless of which method was used. The point of my much-ridiculed post was that the X32 does not behave the way everything else, since the SDE1000, has worked. It is apparently the averaging scheme.

I hope this is addressed in firmware at some future point.

Thanks for the reply.

I have to 2 cascaded S16's .. so

S16 1 - Outputs 1-8outs
S16 2 - Outputs 9-16outs

Both seem to take the x32 P16 routing though, not the local IO's

Is there another option I should be look at?

If you put it in any of those modes, you will get local on the P16. If they are cascaded, and you want the normal 9-16 output on the second S16, set it to mode 4. (Just hold the Config button and turn the encoder)

Hi again Jan,

Thanks to you and Dan, I have created two presets - one for small and one for large monitors, and they configure the ouputs correctl;y = YAY - NO MORE WHINE!! Thanks!

Yay, too!

The amazing thing is that you've put up with it this long. I posted that solution here January 2013 if not earlier.

Happy mixing, though!

Dan

Whoops!
Thanks just the same;-)
<Edit> while we are on the subject, what's your advice on an elegant way to go from small to large monitors using the user defined keys?

Pauly

Yay, too!

The amazing thing is that you've put up with it this long. I posted that solution here January 2013 if not earlier.

Happy mixing, though!

Dan

while we are on the subject, what's your advice on an elegant way to go from small to large monitors using the user defined keys?

Pauly

Sorry, someone else will have to answer this. I have no clue.

Thinking about it for a second: Wouldn't there need to be a mute component to those keys for it to work? Don't think those buttons have that as an option, do they? They only do one thing, afaik, and you need them to do at least two (turn one on/one off). Or maybe selecting a source would unselect the other source, I don't know.

Maybe a snippet-based solution would work better? Snippets are still in the realm of magic for me, so afaic they can do anything.

<Edit> while we are on the subject, what's your advice on an elegant way to go from small to large monitors using the user defined keys?

How are you doing that now? Just assigning two outs to Monitor and unassigning the other two outs? Then Dan's suggestion to use a snippet will work, actually, if you can save it to a scene or a preset you can save it to a snippet.
Assuming your small monitors are on output 1&2 and big monitors on output 3&4, do the patching and save as two snippets, selecting Out Patch, then export those two snippets to your computer or stick and edit in WordPad, removing all but those four channels, and import back into the console.

Your snippets will look something like this after editing

#2.1# "Small monitors" 16777216 0 0 0 1
/outputs/main/01 74 IN/LC
/outputs/main/01/delay OFF 0.3
/outputs/main/02 75 IN/LC
/outputs/main/02/delay OFF 0.3
/outputs/main/03 0 IN/LC
/outputs/main/03/delay OFF 0.3
/outputs/main/04 0 IN/LC
/outputs/main/04/delay OFF 0.3

#2.1# "Big monitors" 16777216 0 0 0 1
/outputs/main/01 0 IN/LC
/outputs/main/01/delay OFF 0.3
/outputs/main/02 0 IN/LC
/outputs/main/02/delay OFF 0.3
/outputs/main/03 74 IN/LC
/outputs/main/03/delay OFF 0.3
/outputs/main/04 75 IN/LC
/outputs/main/04/delay OFF 0.3

and you presumably don't need the delay setting lines either, so:

#2.1# "Small monitors" 16777216 0 0 0 1
/outputs/main/01 74 IN/LC
/outputs/main/02 75 IN/LC
/outputs/main/03 0 IN/LC
/outputs/main/04 0 IN/LC

#2.1# "Big monitors" 16777216 0 0 0 1
/outputs/main/01 0 IN/LC
/outputs/main/02 0 IN/LC
/outputs/main/03 74 IN/LC
/outputs/main/04 75 IN/LC

After loading into two snippet slots, assign one button to invoke one snippet and another button to invoke the other. Haven't tried assigning snippets to buttons, it doesn't seem to work on the editor, but hopefully it works on the console.

The advantage of editing away the other channels is that now these snippets will not affect anything else you have going on with the outputs, so if you make a patch change somewhere, the snippets will not affect those changes.

Last edited:

Hmmm this is deteriorating, had the launch of our new venue on Friday, with the band "fat white family", great gig. Unfortunately at some point during the gig mute button for channel 2 stopped working which was a bit of a problem as one of the main box was on it (and also on layer 1 snare drum) this is in addition to the sticky button problem on bus sends 1-4 button. Made it quite tricky to mix the gig, but the main problem we now have is that we don't have enough downtime between gigs to send the desk for a well needed repair. This is the second desk we've had and both have had the sticky buttons issue. Next gig is Friday, so in a bit of a pickle. So much for putting all your eggs into a digital basket eh?

Thanks again Dan,

Ok.. I'll try to take Pers advice which is probably a little over my head but worth a shot eh - I'll post the results.
By the way - Thanks for starting this forum thread Dan - Whenever any of us get in a pickle, it's usually solved by someone. For that matter - I appreciate all the helpful people here .. you know.. the ones like you that understand nobody knows everything!

;-)

Pauly

Sorry, someone else will have to answer this. I have no clue.

Thinking about it for a second: Wouldn't there need to be a mute component to those keys for it to work? Don't think those buttons have that as an option, do they? They only do one thing, afaik, and you need them to do at least two (turn one on/one off). Or maybe selecting a source would unselect the other source, I don't know.

Maybe a snippet-based solution would work better? Snippets are still in the realm of magic for me, so afaic they can do anything.

Hi Per,

Thanks for putting in the work to type that lot in. As I predicted (see my answer to Dans post) you've confused the crap out of me :)

How I'm doing it now?.... Well...I've saved some routing presets cunningly called 'Big Monitors' & 'Small Monitors' which route the monitor outputs to the analog outputs on the x32, and a couple for the subwoofer. Then....

1/ Press the Routing button
2/ Use the Page Select buttons to open the 'Out 1-16' tab
3/ Pressing the Utility button (The preset library opens)
4/ Selecting 'Small Monitors'

That does the trick. Now.. I'll just try your advice and will let you know how confused I get :p

Pauly

How are you doing that now?
Just assigning two outs to Monitor and unassigning the other two outs?
<SNIP>
The advantage of editing away the other channels is that now these snippets will not affect anything else you have going on with the outputs, so if you make a patch change somewhere, the snippets will not affect those changes.

Thanks again Dan,

Ok.. I'll try to take Pers advice which is probably a little over my head but worth a shot eh - I'll post the results.
By the way - Thanks for starting this forum thread Dan - Whenever any of us get in a pickle, it's usually solved by someone. For that matter - I appreciate all the helpful people here .. you know.. the ones like you that understand nobody knows everything!

;-)

Pauly

Hi Pauly,

You're welcome again, only I had nothing to do with starting this thread.

The OP is Rob Spence and it seems to be a continuation of another thread; I wasn't here at that time, but I believe the helpful and generally friendly tone (and probably the earlier thread?) comes directly from Christian Boche, who AFAIK was the first civilian to have an X32 and post at length about it. His willingness to report and his attention to detail, as well as his in-depth answers to questions and looking for answers when he didn't already have them, made this product much more acceptable to the community and thus accelerated its acceptance by people who would otherwise have had no interest in it.

I always felt and said (when I eventually joined the forum in November 2012) that Behringer really owed him a lot and that I hoped (and still hope) that they treated him accordingly.

As they say, shit flows downhill, and that's good shit as well as bad shit. This thread is good shit because of so many people's willingness to help, and so many people's willingness to address a US$3k mixer seriously, as well as Behringer's participation as a company and as individuals. Not to mention their ongoing commitment to continuing to improve the product and user experience. It started out pretty good and has gotten incredibly better.

We are nearing two years into the mixer's public life, and the next couple years will be interesting. All the questions we've had about its long-term reliability will be answered more and more. I'm still waiting to hear how it's fared at the Whisky a Go Go, or whatever that club in Hollywood is where they put in a couple of X32's and they do 7 bands a night 7 days a week, or whatever it is. That was like a year or more ago-go, so those consoles must be about 20 years old by normal usage measures. Did they hold up? I sure hope so.

Good luck in figuring out your quiet studio monitor routings. I can't believe I suggested the kernel of a solution, and am glad Per can figure out the details for us. He is another reason this is the good shit.

Dan

PS I've never said "shit" so much in a thread; sorry for the bad attitude. Shit!!

PPS I started reading the thread in about July 2012. I was telling my crew in August 2012 that there was this Behringer mixer that sounded like it was really going to revolutionize the digital mixer paradigm. They looked at me cross-eyed, of course, but now I think they believe. Possibly not as completely as I do, but pretty close. We've gotten a lot of good usage out of them.

Per...Dan... You guys are GOLD!

It works beautifully - The only thing I'll add is that snippet files have a .SNP extension.
Thankyou both so much.

Pauly\

Then Dan's suggestion to use a snippet will work, actually, if you can save it to a scene or a preset you can save it to a snippet.

Your snippets will look something like this after editing
<SNIP>

After loading into two snippet slots, assign one button to invoke one snippet and another button to invoke the other. Haven't tried assigning snippets to buttons, it doesn't seem to work on the editor, but hopefully it works on the console.

Hmmm this is deteriorating, had the launch of our new venue on Friday, with the band "fat white family", great gig. Unfortunately at some point during the gig mute button for channel 2 stopped working which was a bit of a problem as one of the main box was on it (and also on layer 1 snare drum) this is in addition to the sticky button problem on bus sends 1-4 button. Made it quite tricky to mix the gig, but the main problem we now have is that we don't have enough downtime between gigs to send the desk for a well needed repair. This is the second desk we've had and both have had the sticky buttons issue. Next gig is Friday, so in a bit of a pickle. So much for putting all your eggs into a digital basket eh?

Just wondering are you saying it is a sticky button on the ch 2 or that pressing it just does not cause the mute to be activated - presume the mute operates if initiated from synced xedit / ipad/ android & if so does the m ute button on the console light?

I understand the faders are only under warranty for 1 year presume this is the same with all the physical controls.
Anyone tried a switch cleaner or silicon type spray to rectify the "sticky button" issue?

No the button is intermittent. Pushing hard/wiggling sometimes works, but it's not like the sticky button problem where pulling it up allows it to work again. This is more like a dry joint or something..

Sent from my iPhone

Hi Per,

Thanks for putting in the work to type that lot in.

Copy - Paste, not much work 8)~:cool:~:cool:

It works beautifully - The only thing I'll add is that snippet files have a .SNP extension.

Yes, I normally use Wordpad because I can open a file, edit it and save it again without messing that bit up, and also any special character is preserved.

Glad it worked for you.

You guys are great. Everyone. Someone asks a question and it is like a fire department getting a call.
Every day I find something more it can do. I could have save a few bucks on the XENYX CONTROL1USB in my studio using this advice.

I have not found a way to make it brew a K-Cup, but I am still hopeful.

Like I've said before, think of this board as a Swiss Army Mixer.

Last edited:

You guys are great. Everyone. Someone asks a question and it is like a fire department getting a call.
Every day I find something more it can do. I could have save a few bucks on the XENYX CONTROL1USB in my studio using this advice.

I have not found a way to make it brew a K-Cup, but I am still hopeful.

Like I've said before, think of this board as a Swiss Army Mixer.

Hi Glenn,

It only brews the XCup, hope that helps.

Your comment "Someone asks a question and it is like a fire department getting a call" is a really nice and flattering mental image. You should write poetry. Seriously, I like it.

Regarding our earlier discussion about networking: Do you have or know of a device that will allow seeing the electrical characteristics of a single twisted pair within an Ethernet cable, and/or the relative electrical characteristics of multiple pairs within that cable throughout the time the cable is being physically challenged in some way?

You kind of indicated you did, but didn't reply to my previous question about this.

Having that ability would advance the ongoing discussion considerably.

It would also be cool to be able to see the shield when it was getting zapped by the bbq lighters, with and without Ethercons.

It would be even sweeter to be able to watch the data stream and its error correction/detection while the cable was being stressed, to see what happens when it lets go and how close to the edge you can get before it lets go.

Thx,
Dan

Hey Dan,

Well.. my thanks also goes out to Rob, Per, & yourself - Thanks Rob!
It's funny how something that seems really difficult becomes simple with a nudge in the right direction. Hopefully in the future, Behringer will streamline the procedures necessary for such tasks (Like opening up these files with wordpad to get what we need?'... But for the money the x32 is a good thing.

If the Midas version ever goes 96k, and has no fan (or significantly quieter than the x32 fan), I'll grab one of them.

Ok... back to work!

Pauly

Hi Pauly,

You're welcome again, only I had nothing to do with starting this thread.

The OP is Rob Spence and it seems to be a continuation of another thread; I wasn't here at that time, but I believe the helpful and generally friendly tone (and probably the earlier thread?) comes directly from Christian Boche, who AFAIK was the first civilian to have an X32 and post at length about it. His willingness to report and his attention to detail, as well as his in-depth answers to questions and looking for answers when he didn't already have them, made this product much more acceptable to the community and thus accelerated its acceptance by people who would otherwise have had no interest in it.

<SNIP>

Dan

PS I've never said "shit" so much in a thread; sorry for the bad attitude. Shit!!

<SNIP>