X32 Discussion

Re: Interesting bug in 2.04.

Set both left and right faders to buses (1-16 and 1-8). Now pull up Effect for graphic EQ inserted on monitor send and click the EQ on Faders function (I think that's what it's called). Push bus send on left faders up a little bit higher to get back to edge of feedback. At that point fader on right for that bus forgets it's being used to set graphic EQ and thinks it's back in bus mode, then it tries to mimic corresponding move on right-side fader. Just for fun, make sure the EQ on fader window has the fader for the bus you are adjusting sitting on a problem freq. Bingo, fader on right jumps to match left side, and GEQ thinks you just went from, perhaps 7db of cut for that freq to maybe 10db of boost. In my case, instantaneous boost for my problem-child freq of 17db. Great fun. (Fortunately, the room was empty while I was doing this.) I suspect that going into EQ on fader function would be just fine if right side had started with DCAs or Matrix selections -- it was duplicating bus select on left and right side before EQ on Fader that caused the problem.

I was able to replicate the issue. It's a strange one for sure. It seems switching into "GEQ On Faders" does not disable the fader linking communication that happens when the same bus is on both sets of faders.

Dear Doug, Chris,

thanks for highlighting the issue.

We have been able to replicate the bug and fixed it already. We have also addressed a few other issues and added new features.

I just spoke with our German engineers and we will be issuing new firmware plus a release note hopefully today.

Warm regards

Uli

lol

and marginally odd that the CEO would post that

not sayin that's a bad thing
jus not something i see on a regular basis in the industry...

That tech support was overnighted.

I'm putting this one down in the books as a plus for Music Group support, which is exactly what is should have been.

possibly a simple fix as a new version of xedit and the firmware had been announced for this week.
The question is what are the new features - would love some form of POP groups!

lol

and marginally odd that the CEO would post that

not sayin that's a bad thing
jus not something i see on a regular basis in the industry...

Hello

Knowing Uli´s history as student putting boxes together in his own workshop his personal attention is not surprising to me. I think it goes to show he is in this business for affection of the products - not so much the profits. Even with marginal profits he is guaranteed of fair amount of comfort for him and his family - and I think they rightly deserve it.

Mr Willi Studer was working enourmous hours every week to keep his company at the top - I never thought he was after money, either. Desire to make something happen drives these people. Money comes when it comes and helps them concentrate on doing what they are good at.

Re: X32 Discussion

Can anyone think of a decent way to cover this scenario on an X32..?

(Musical Theatre Show)

16 input channels taken up by radio mics, all feeding Main LR, with a DCA assigned to quickly control them as a whole if required. Also all with a post-fader send to a bus which is then sent to a selection of Band Mon buses, so that the monitors only have the vocal channels which are live in the FOH mix.

I'm happy with that bit, I've used that set-up in the past.

Sections of the show require (during the same scene) individual cast members to say bits of script, then all to say another line, two to say another line, all of them to sing, back to one individual line, etc. This is literally in the space of a few seconds - not the traditional lines of script and then all go into a nice song at the end...

In an ideal world, I'd like to mix the individual vocal mics using the input faders, and then have a pre-fader 'group' of all the vocal channels which I can then pull up for the chorus bits of script and singing. Basically, I won't have time to quickly fade up 15 separate input faders every time the cast have a line together. So I'd like control of them all individually as normal, but then a quick way to have the whole cast live too. Oh and I'd like to keep the vocals in stereo too :p

The only thing I've come up with so far is having a pre-fader send from all the input channels to a 'Chorus' bus, so then regardless of the state of the input faders, I can instantly get all the mics live (and I'll just have to take care adjusting the gains for each mic at sound check, to keep them all fairly level). I lose the stereo spread that way though :( A Sub Group won't work, because then I can't quickly mix the individual lines.

Anyone got any better ideas?! If any of that makes sense to people..!

The only thing I've come up with so far is having a pre-fader send from all the input channels to a 'Chorus' bus, so then regardless of the state of the input faders, I can instantly get all the mics live (and I'll just have to take care adjusting the gains for each mic at sound check, to keep them all fairly level). I lose the stereo spread that way though :( A Sub Group won't work, because then I can't quickly mix the individual lines.

Use a linked pair of busses then you can pan each individual mic where you want - the odd numbered bus-send encoder is the send level and the even one is pan. Then send the odd & even busses ro Main L & R hard panned (the deault for paired busses).

Use a linked pair of busses then you can pan each individual mic where you want - the odd numbered bus-send encoder is the send level and the even one is pan. Then send the odd & even busses ro Main L & R hard panned (the deault for paired busses).

Ah yes that's true. Although the pans set for the input channels won't carry through, I could manually pan the bus sends instead. Thanks.

Can anyone think of a decent way to cover this scenario on an X32..?

(Musical Theatre Show)

16 input channels taken up by radio mics, all feeding Main LR, with a DCA assigned to quickly control them as a whole if required. Also all with a post-fader send to a bus which is then sent to a selection of Band Mon buses, so that the monitors only have the vocal channels which are live in the FOH mix.

I'm happy with that bit, I've used that set-up in the past.

Sections of the show require (during the same scene) individual cast members to say bits of script, then all to say another line, two to say another line, all of them to sing, back to one individual line, etc. This is literally in the space of a few seconds - not the traditional lines of script and then all go into a nice song at the end...

In an ideal world, I'd like to mix the individual vocal mics using the input faders, and then have a pre-fader 'group' of all the vocal channels which I can then pull up for the chorus bits of script and singing. Basically, I won't have time to quickly fade up 15 separate input faders every time the cast have a line together. So I'd like control of them all individually as normal, but then a quick way to have the whole cast live too. Oh and I'd like to keep the vocals in stereo too :p

if you are only using 16 channels could you duplicate the inputs on 17 to 32 set levels and send to a sub group which you can mute and unmute. I.E 17 - 32 disabled from l/r and subgroup sending to mains.

Re: Rhythm Delay

I'm still trying to get tap tempo to work right. The averaging thing needs to be disabled. Just count the ms between taps. That's all I fucking want.

So at the next get together we have a "tap challenge" to see who can get closest to the unknown value set on a metronome. Could be the next sound tech drinking game.

I would expect widely variant results which may or may not correlate with the time of the evening or previous success at the game.

Re: Laggy WiFi (again I think)

Sorry to come back to this earlier mentioned behaviour. Maybe somebody has the same "laggy" Ipad performance. Sorry I copy/paste this from the Behringer forum.

1. During the last gigs I realized a _VERY_ instable Wifi connection. Takes a lot of time to change from one app page to another (channel banks). Seems the app reads the whole content from the device new every time I switch pages. Faders in the app lagging, linked channels wont move fast enough. Both Mac and Ipad 4 lost connection lots of time while Wifi was fully stable and only my 2 devices connected. I use an Apple Router, same behaviour both in 2.4 and 5 Ghz, same behaviour when ONLY the Ipad is connected. Never had this happen with earlier version.

To be serious that is a real PITA. Hope someone from Behringer listens and these things will be fixed asap.

2. First of all: I did NOT change anything when coming from X32 1.xx firmware and prior Ipad Apps neither in the Ipad configuration nor in the router setup. Before I updated the systen everything worked like a charm: no losses of connection within my short operation range of 15 meters (with direct view to the router and all the WiFi meter indication full up), no lags, a dream to work with. After the (automatic) update of the Ipad app that I cannot revert to previous version I HAD to update my full X32 and X32Rack to get back the remote working.

So - from my point of view - the (so called) bug came WITH the update. Maybe the X32 firmware is laggy or the App is trash. And we need to get it repaired by Behringer.

Would be nice to hear if somebdy else than Gary realized that bad behaviour to prove to Behringer that ther IS an error. My prove is the appended video file

http://youtu.be/LYAlfVa416A

Maybe you feel me whinig a lot, but all I want to have is a WORKING system. What Behringer took me with the update.

(Sry for my poor English, hope I could describe everything quite understandable).

3. Per, thx for your comment. But - as some of the other guys - you're on the same "WiFi fault" trip. The video I shot was in the rehearsal room, just 5 kids around with their mobiles. And - as I always do - the WiFi was hidden, so NOOME but me joined the network. And as I told a few times before: Prior update/upgrade everything worked fine.

But as long noone else than Gary sees the trouble and confirms similar behaviour what can I do else than listen to the "tweak your network and use a cat5" comments.

Gary: the "lag" of not showing the content keeps me away from mixing, because I cannot SEE what I mix. Additional during the "refresh time" the X32 won't accept any control.

(Per told about "risky WiFi business" due to lots of peoble join the venue and try to connect to my network. Gary had a similar behaviour.)

Thanks again, all your hints are welcome.

Henry

This happened to me once and it was the cat5 cable from my router to my X32 going bad.

Re: Rhythm Delay

Geeeze Louise!!!!! There is NO NEED FOR ANY AVERAGING. If my first 2 taps are wrong I am forced to wait thru a whole averaging cycle!!! I can't believe we are arguing this!!!

I don't really see what the big commotion is about. You don't have super-human reflexes to be able to nail something within 1ms anyway, so who cares if it's averaged? Unless you're so horrendously off on your first two taps in the first place, the averaging isn't going to make it any worse.

The averaging is going to give you a far more accurate number (down to the ms) than you could ever achieve without it. That's just basic physics, not opinion.